Shadow of the Colossus

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
Hollywood's new favorite fanboy writer, Justin Marks of Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li,

o lawd this movie is going to fail so hard. >_<

This makes me sad. :( Leave it alone, Sony, LEAVE IT ALONE! :rage:

Unless you sell the movie rights to Studio Ghibli. Dacon I think that would actually be rather awesome. :awesome:

Harley

rain city state of mind
shadow_of_the_colossus2b1.jpg

Tough as nails.

This would be the 14th one:
shadow_colossus-759239.jpg

EPIC

Sheepy

Pro Adventurer
Wasn't the one I was referring to, actually :/. Second-to-last, I thought there were 14. Can't find a picture btw, but it's a large fellow with a sword, :monster:.
You mean this one then? That was the 15th. :monster:

And I think the flying one was the 13th. o_o It was also the most epic imo. :monster:

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Yeah, the galloping up beside the wing and leaping onto it was freaking cool. #3 still might be my favorite though (the first one in Cthulhu's post there). That or the pterodactyl.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
's the one, :monster:. And yeah, the flying one's epic, too.

If done Right (which I doubt), a movie out of this would be epic. Of course, they'd have to add a story, which would destroy the game, but the concept alone would be win.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Could you imagine if they actually did it without dialogue except in the very few places the game had it? That would be pretty amazing.

Call the Fantasia people :monster:

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
For a movie that will probably rely on action and special effects SOTC has just the right amount of plot. Just have a bit more about what happend to Mono and why the dudes follow Wander to the forbidden lands to try to stop him and it could be good. COULD.

I just fear that they will do everything wrong imaginable that movie studios tend to do with video game movies. People always wonder why game movies suck. Hmm... let's ponder this and completely ignore the fact that you didn't bother making a coherent movie.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
A mainstream SotC just can't be good. You'd have to Hollywood-ize it to make it successful etc. and that'd already ruin it. The thing that makes SotC so awesome is its unique and artsy approach. Unique and art doesn't mix very well with generic Hollywood movies usually. :monster:

The story of SotC is incredibly ambigous. While this makes the game intriguing on one side, it also means it's not exactly the game's strong point. Playing the game and experiencing it is where it's at.

A movie doesn't have that. It can't hide behind gameplay and such, so it'll be left with a story that hardly is a story. Why moviemakers think that'd be good material for a script is beyond me.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
A direct movie-to-game wouldn't work, as is the case with a lot of movies, really. As far as I can recall, Tomb Raider was a proper movie, but it hardly had anything to do with the game(s). Same with Max Payne, I thought it was a good movie, but it was only loosely based on the game.

SotC would be a win base for an action title, but they'd have to add characters, dialog, and what else have you. They'd probably add a bit of history between Wander / Mono, and most likely add one or two characters to accompany him during the journey. I also doubt they'd have as much collossi as in the game, and they wouldn't all be as epic as they are in the game - after all, a movie like that has to build up to an epic climax. With that in mind, I wouldn't think they'd use the same 'final' boss either - the one in SotC is kinda static, and whilst challenging in terms of gameplay, it wouldn't transfer as much to the silver screen.

The newspaper made a report of some dude having a talk on 'why video game stories suck'. Well, they don't, if done right, :monster:. It's just that they don't transfer to the cinema as easily. Video game movie stories suck in most cases.

Max Payne would've transferred to a movie properly, but then not as the big-arse title they made it to be. MGS 3 could easily be made into a movie, it's still one of the more cinematic and story-filled games I know. SotC could be movified, but they'd have to make it of Transformers-like scale.

Sheepy

Pro Adventurer
Reigh Over Me was the best movie involving Shadow of the Colossus
QFT. :awesomonster:

I only watched it because my dad told me they played some game I liked in it. I didn't get which game he was talking about, but when I saw it was SotC I thought it was kind of win. :monster:

But a movie based on SotC? I don't know if I like the idea. ): There are some bad movies that I'm willing to watch because you can actually get some lulz out of the suckage. But SotC is too awesome to be ruined, and I'm afraid that the chances of that happening are kinda high tbh. D: On the other hand, they could also do it right and somehow end up making something awesome... I guess we'll have to wait and see.

The story of SotC is incredibly ambigous. While this makes the game intriguing on one side, it also means it's not exactly the game's strong point. Playing the game and experiencing it is where it's at.

A movie doesn't have that. It can't hide behind gameplay and such, so it'll be left with a story that hardly is a story. Why moviemakers think that'd be good material for a script is beyond me.

Exactly. SotC relies heavily on both ambiguity, interactivity, and moral ambiguity that's created, partially, by the interactivity, so making a movie that's true to the "spirit" of the game is nearly impossible right from the start. ICO would fail similarly as a movie because it would be incredibly difficult to replicate the connection the gameplay creates between Ico/the player and Yorda.

I can only imagine that Hollywood thinks that it has potential to be an epic-fantasy-next-Lord of the Rings type movie (which is what they seem to have been trying to do with almost every fantasy movie after the LotR movies :monster:), in which case they're missing the point, considering how minimalistic SotC is. SotC isn't really about the action or the plot, it's about how everything comes together to get the player to really connect with the game world and interpret things for themselves.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Yeah, I would love to see how camera angles and such could show the Colossi, I think it would look awesome, but they'd probably ruin the rest.

Hence, my suggestion, get the Fantasia people to do it ^_^

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
I can only imagine that Hollywood thinks that it has potential to be an epic-fantasy-next-Lord of the Rings type movie (which is what they seem to have been trying to do with almost every fantasy movie after the LotR movies :monster:), in which case they're missing the point, considering how minimalistic SotC is. SotC isn't really about the action or the plot, it's about how everything comes together to get the player to really connect with the game world and interpret things for themselves.

You're forgetting here that the game is epic, squared :monster:. Moreso than a lot of the other games I've played, in any case.

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
I still say Dacon had an awesome idea when he suggested it be a Studio Ghibli film. They would make it a beautiful piece of art. Have they ever done a bad movie?

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Leon S. Kennedy,Terry Bogard, The Dark Knight, Dacon, John Marston, Teal'c
A mainstream SotC just can't be good. You'd have to Hollywood-ize it to make it successful etc. and that'd already ruin it. The thing that makes SotC so awesome is its unique and artsy approach. Unique and art doesn't mix very well with generic Hollywood movies usually. :monster:

Plenty of films have been done with very little dialogue and few characters and still managed to turn out to be very entertaining films. Hell some films rely primarily on visuals to tell their stories.

Besides SoTC would have more than a few high flying action scenes, coupled with scenes of beautiful vistas and adventure. They could even splice a few scenes exploring the local flora and fauna.

Ghibli could do it perfectly.

Also, the Max Payne film was fucking garbage, even as just a normal film and not a game one. What kind of acid were you on to enjoy that shit tentacle fag?

Last edited:

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Also, the Max Payne film was fucking garbage, even as just a normal film and not a game one. What kind of acid were you on to enjoy that shit tentacle fag?

Valkyr, it's hawt. Also, don't be hatin' or dissin' mah style, that ain't down.

lisette

Rookie Adventurer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbJ4pzHkhAg

^ Yeah, this took me an hour and a half. No, I do not possess skill.

The last few seconds cheered me up, though. I always try to futilely escape the tentacle rape myself. :wacky: You?

Oh yeah, and did anyone else ever get slightly creeped out by Agro? He had this thoroughly disturbing tendency of appearing when you least expected him to. Directly behind you. One moment, I'd be exploring on my own, empty lands stretching in every direction...then I'd turn around and - HORSE NOSTRILS! :reptar: He also blatantly defied game physics sometimes. I remember one particularly chilling moment, when I called him from across a body of water he'd previously been unable to cross, just for the hell of it...and he charged across like a possessed boat! It was hair-raising.

Cthulhu said:
On that, I grabbed one of the birds that hang around in the big temple thingy (where you start) by accident, they flew me around for like, a foot, :monster:

I've never been able to do this (though not from lack of trying :wacky:). Is it possible in all versions?

Top Bottom