• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Shears/Sears Veld/Verdot

SilverArrow20XX

Pro Adventurer
Got a page number for where Veld/Verdot is mentioned in The Kids are Alright?
He and the BC Turks are alluded to a few times. "Scattered comrades" and such.
I searched for "Veld" and "Verdot" in every chapter of the fan translation, and then spent a good hour skimming the Yen Press release and found no ocurance of "Veld" being mentioned by name.

JBedford

Pro Adventurer
AKA
JBed
Yeah, after making the claim so fervently I became hesitant since I don't actually own the English version to verify. I searched the Japanese e-book and didn't get results for his name. So I think I may have actually been incorrect.

The reason I made this claim was because of this Amazon review. A verified purchase, they title the review "Translation errors" and make the entire focus of the review about how they're surprised his name was translated as "Veld".

What did they see!?

It seems to me that the Japanese people who wrote these stories know enough English (or possible some other European language) to know whether they wanted his name to be Veld or Verdot. Some names just don't transliterate into Japanese particularly well. It wouldn't be hard for someone to look at a transliteration of my name and thing it was a different name, but surely the author would know which name they intended.

SilverArrow20XX

Pro Adventurer
Yeah.
This thread, and that Amazon review were the only results I could find when I tried to google it lol.
So I'm definitely leaning towards Verdot being the official spelling.
We should find out for sure next year when the BC episodes of EC start dropping.

JBedford

Pro Adventurer
AKA
JBed
It seems to me that the Japanese people who wrote these stories know enough English (or possible some other European language) to know whether they wanted his name to be Veld or Verdot. Some names just don't transliterate into Japanese particularly well. It wouldn't be hard for someone to look at a transliteration of my name and thing it was a different name, but surely the author would know which name they intended.
Sometimes there's inconsistencies even within Japanese media. Edward is "Gilbert" or "Gilbart" depending where you look. Zack was "Zax" in Ehrgeiz (probably correct), and "Zack's" in a few other places (yeah, really). Final Fantasy Art Museum were a set of cards made for Japanese markets and include English titles on all of them: Engrish and obviously incorrect romanisations abound.

So I guess it depends whether the people who came up with the name get asked about origins when they're making guidebooks and really want to put in some English names to be cool.

In the Advent Children Reunion Files, they use "Verdot" with the character portraits, and I feel like that these names were probably supplied on the Japanese side, while the translator didn't pay attention/know about them when they translated their passages. The names given with the portraits match those in the 10th Anniversary Ultimania, and the other big thing that indicates this is the two 短銃 Turks get translated as "Gun" and "Two Guns". I doubt the translator would have had the context that the male one used dual pistols.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
My favorite times are when Japanese license holders insist on the use of clealy incorrect translations, such as "First Children" to refer to Rei in Eva's Netflix dub rather than "First Child," and "Arucard" instead of Alucard in all of Hellsing's English anime marketing material even though they actually pronounce it correctly in the show itself.

JBedford

Pro Adventurer
AKA
JBed
Final Fantasy actually does something of the opposite of that. At some point they started using the localised names in Japanese media. But that's reallly weird because sometimes the localisation changes a name. Like Tidus's name in Japan is "Tida", but it gets displayed next to the English text "Tidus". I don't know what the Japanese think of this, but they should be able to tell it doesn't match.

They actually stopped doing this in Remake, so the Japanese credits and guide books give "Aniyan" while we get "Andrea". But it didn't apply to characters retroactively, so Marin マリン is still "Marlene" in all places.

Top Bottom