Shinra's Experiments With Non-SOLDIER Combatants in the Remake

ChipNoir

Internet Ghost
AKA
Mister Spooks.
A lot of it has been distilled into the Final Fantasy wiki, so you may know more about the ultimania than you're aware of if you've spent any time there hunting for trivia or concept art.

A lot of it has been distilled into the Final Fantasy wiki, so you may know more about the ultimania than you're aware of if you've spent any time there hunting for trivia or concept art.
Mainly because of us :monster:

(By which I mean, TLS, not me)
Oh yeah, this is DEFINITELY true (both poring over the Wiki, as well as the ever-detailed breakdowns of Ultimania information)! And I have to thank ya'll for all the work you've put it in adding to the wiki, as well as the translations of the Ultimania...long before I was even familiar with this site, let alone the forum, I was reading the Ultimania translations done by the team here as (I'm sure probably illicitly) posted elsewhere : )

But, even though having the information available in English at all is a godsend (further explanations/clarifications of plot elements that DID make it into the finished game, not to mention all that alternate/unused stuff...the multiple Reds!! Fucking COBALT?? Lol), I still found myself hankering to be able to hold the finished book, with the appropriate images, presentations, screenshots etc, alongside English text. If I wanted to be hardcore, I suppose I could buy the Japanese version, and attempt to 'read along' with the English translations online, but...I dunno if the feeling would be the same, haha.

All that said, for somewhere between 20-30 bucks, even an art heavy book with a small bit of commentary on 7,8, and 9 is still definitely something worth purchasing, for me. As far as I'm concerned, the PSX trilogy is still the FF high-water mark, so. For anyone who has Volume 2...as far as 'text' goes, is it more or less just descriptions? Or is there a bit of developer commentary type stuff thrown in?

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
There are a few direct quote developer comments at the back of each volume, but the text accompanying images throughout the book is what I think you mean when you say "just descriptions."

That said, a number of these descriptions contain insightful details that clearly came from the developers.

Hmmm...now I'm kind of intrigued, I'll have to find a good example screenshot or some such. I'm imagining like a more detailed 'Bestiary Entry' type of thing? I dunno, I'm sure it's hard to articulae exactly how its presented and all.

pxp

Pro Adventurer
I love it. They have all kinds of little developer in-jokes on these things.

I could seriously pore over this stuff for days. I would LOVE to sit and talk to the developers about every little thing. Like, why was this fantastic CloTi moment taken out?
View attachment 2286
Reminds me of the Clerith limit break that was unfortunately ditched (intended so that Aerith could “pep up” all of her allies, to borrow DQXI terminology, but the storyboard is very Clerith).

Last edited:
Top Bottom