Significant Differences Between English and Japanese

MelodicEnigma

Pro Adventurer
My only issue with this (or with people) is that Biggs' response is secondary. There's Cloud's reaction—coupled with a dramatic zoom in on his face with his somewhat aggressive refusal—then there's Biggs' reaction. That is, the reference doesn't rely on Biggs' response to Cloud's reaction, but that of Cloud's reaction itself first to set up what is otherwise Biggs' commenting on his refusal. Word usage is cool and all, but context matters more. The housed subtext of the scene is focused on Cloud which any person with the pre-knowledge to understand said subtext would be able to understand regardless—not to mention you know, everything else that happens afterwards like Cloud's "we've been through a lot—HrhgHGhr!" XD Hard to say something is truly "lost" here in what it's all pointing to, which I see some people doing. Padded, secondary details are interesting, and sure, people want to feel like they have everything, but if it and of itself isn't completely lost and we get something that still makes sense in ENG, then it isn't so bad.

It's pretty frustrating when people take something like this as a means to continue to present bad takes/misunderstandings about localization, even as far to say the whole scene is recontextualized, like...what. I'm just tired at this point. On a note of Eerie's, imo the French doesn't give the same directness as "oath" for the whole legacy thing, but it does match more than that of "being a purist", I will say. Biggs' ENG response contextually makes sense, especially as an ENG phrase, but you'd have to work A LOT harder to make it relevant to having a subtle meaning, which the only thing I could think of is being relevant to Angeal's attitude towards the conditions of the sword. But meh, very isolated, thankfully Cloud's reaction + the rest of the scene is much more in what it's telling.

Last edited:
Top Bottom