Sony/Anonymous Nonsense & the PSN Outage ... also GeoHotz

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Sega's turn!

In what's become a daily occurrence, we have a new victim of hackers today. Sega sent out an e-mail earlier today to Sega Pass members with word that it has discovered an "unauthorized entry" into the system's database. An investigation has been launched and it has taken the "appropriate action to protect our consumers' data and isolate the location of the breach."
Unfortunately, a "subset" of members have had their personal data obtained by the intruders. This doesn't include any payment or billing information, thankfully, but it does include things like e-mail addresses, birth dates, and encrypted passwords. As such, Sega has reset Sega Pass account passwords and has taken the service down for the time being. It's also recommending that users change their passwords on any other services where they might use the same information.

Like with the BioWare incident, there's no word on hacker group LulzSec's Twitter account that it is behind the breach. It had previously publicized its involvement with attacks on EVE Online, Minecraft, and Bethesda.

But most interestingly,

In a curious turn of events, the group has offered to help Sega "destroy the hackers that attacked you." It says this is because "We love the Dreamcast, these people are going down."

images

AKA
L, Castiel, Scotty Mc Dickerson
A TEENAGER suspected of masterminding a global computer hacking operation targeting Sony and Nintendo has been arrested - in ESSEX.

Ryan Cleary, 19 — an alleged member of the hacking gang LulzSec — was arrested in Wickford and taken to a central London police station.
He remains in custody on suspicion of Computer Misuse Act and Fraud Act offences.
LulzSec is believed to be a splinter group of hacking community Anonymous — who have claimed responsibility for a string of online security breaches including attacks on the gaming giants.

They also launched electronic raids on the CIA, the UK's Serious Organised Crime Agency (Soca) and the US Senate.
Soca, dubbed the British FBI, was reportedly forced to temporarily take its website down yesterday after a breach.
Claims that LulzSec had stolen the entire 2011 UK census database were denied by both the group and security sources.
LulzSec tweeted: "That wasn't us - don't believe fake LulzSec releases unless we put out a tweet first."

hack380_1331507a.jpg
Hackers ... Anonymous' logo

Cleary was detained at his home in a "pre-planned intelligence-led operation" by the FBI and Scotland Yard last night. Neighbours described the teen, who lives in the bungalow with his mother and brother, as a "clever, well presented young man".
Local Dorothy Rounce said she was woken by banging in the early hours of the morning.
She said: "I heard car doors slamming so I looked out of the window and saw a big car driving away with him in it.
"I didn't think anything of it - I certainly didn't realise it was an FBI investigation or anything like that."
Her husband, James, added: "They moved in about ten years ago and have been pleasant neighbours.
"I think he had been away at university and had come back for the holidays or because he had finished his exams.
"You could tell he was very bright just from the way he spoke and presented himself.
"I knew he was into computers because we would often take in parcels for him and when I asked about them his mother said he was working from home and it was something to do with IT."
A police spokesman said: "The arrest follows an investigation into network intrusions and distributed denial of service attacks against a number of international business and intelligence agencies by what is believed to be the same hacking group.
"Searches at a residential address in Wickford, Essex, following the arrest last night have led to the examination of a significant amount of material. These forensic examinations remain ongoing."

Last week Steven Chabinsky, the FBI's deputy assistant director, said LulzSec were avoiding prosecution by using sites like Twitter to attract supporters.
Mr Chabinsky said: "These organisations have managed to use new technologies to connect to otherwise disenfranchised hackers to gather force and momentum in a way we have not seen before."
The FBI is placing "a lot of emphasis and focus on Anonymous and other groups that would be like them, through co-ordinated transnational efforts," he added.
Anonymous came to prominence last year when it launched digital assaults against MasterCard, PayPal and other businesses that stopped working with WikiLeaks.
I loll'ed

Alessa Gillespie

a letter to my future self
AKA
Sansa Stark, Sweet Bro, Feferi, tentacleTherapist, Nin, Aki, Catwoman, Shinjiro Aragaki, Terezi, Princess Bubblegum
Got an email this morning that the Bioware server system associated with Neverwinter Nights was compromised but no credit card data was taken. Still asked I changed my password cause they got my email and some other shit, sigh, so I did that this morning.

Top Bottom