Spam discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arianna

Holy, Personified
AKA
Katie; Seta.
Its like... its like... a green pasture... a blank canvas full of potential before the first stroke.

First stroke of the sword before it slits someone's belly open and spills his or her guts onto the ground?

I'm sorry, I do not know all about the spam section on ACF, but the one time I was there, it was nothing but character assassination.

Everything that's been described, I feel, can be discussed on the Chit Chat thread... Of course, I've seen the following thread that proclaimed that idea worthless.

Eh - I like the idea of keeping the drama to a minimum; it's going to be hard enough as it is as this place grows. I understand some would like a place to be less - I don't know really what you're wanting - civil? Less restrained?

I just really don't get it; please consider that if you are wrong about keeping things in check, this could turn out to be a virtual Lord of the Flies... Someone's going to get hurt.

My opinion is just that. :hohum:

Last edited:

Channy

Bad Habit
AKA
Ruby Rose, Lucy
I know, it was all I could find bby.

I remember reading a thread about spam back in Jan/Dec ish. Wtf is it?

Atticus

Kissed by Fire
First stroke of the sword before it slits someone's belly open and spills his or her guts onto the ground?

It depends on the artist I guess.

Perhaps now that we're are having a discussion about it with everyone... we could put a vote on this thread?

I don't see the spam section coming any time soon at any rate, but just out of curiosity's sake...

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V
Discussion mostly seems to be here and here.

That said, I'm thinking some people's aversion to the idea of a spam section might have to do with calling it the same thing as ACF's spam forum, which by now has certain unpleasant associations with it. :monster: Would calling it "Random Shit" or "Off-topic" or something else more along the lines of "click here to chill/laugh/post lolcats/tits/goof off/vent/blah/n00dz without the need for specific topic enforcement but otherwise the same as the rest of the forum" make the idea more palatable to anyone?

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
It's not about the name, dude. It's about the content, which changing its name and shit would do absolutely nothing for.

It's just not happening. It's not just about it turning out like ACF's spam forum. We just don't need the inane shit here or want it here.

C'mon.

Atticus

Kissed by Fire
That said, I'm thinking some people's aversion to the idea of a spam section might have to do with calling it the same thing as ACF's spam forum, which by now has certain unpleasant associations with it. :monster: Would calling it "Random Shit" or "Off-topic" or something else more along the lines of "click here to chill/laugh/post lolcats/tits/goof off/vent/blah/n00dz without the need for specific topic enforcement but otherwise the same as the rest of the forum" make the idea more palatable to anyone?

Seriously you're right. We've been going all wrong about this. Calling it 'spam' just touches and enflames the scars of past wounds of the minds here.

for now on, I am not fighting for spam. I am fighting for, 'open chat section.'
It's just not happening. It's not just about it turning out like ACF's spam forum. We just don't need it here or want it here.

thanks for your opinion.

Last edited:

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
It's still the same answer. :monster:

You haven't magically changed our minds calling it a different name. Way to go at insulting our intelligence. That really works.

Munatik

Beacause I am a puppet
The best spam sections can bring together a level of bonding that other forums on the don't really manage. It's hard to explain unless you've participated in one, but basically, imagine the Chit Chat thread, except to about ten times the extent. While visitor messages and such can somewhat replicate the experience to a lesser extent, there's something about being able to rant about your shit day to everyone in a forum where no one has to say anything on-topic that just can't really be duplicated in other settings.

That said, I can see why people don't want TLS to be associated with something like ACF's spam section; it would come across as intimidating to newcomers. I think it's possible to run a forum with a section like that and still not have any of it spill over to the rest of the board, but for the most part that didn't happen on ACF because for the most part the staff there were incompetent. The staff here are quite a bit more competent, but they also don't want a spam section which makes it harder :wackymonster:

really though, I don't see what harm a section for off-topic posting with otherwise the same rules as the rest of the forum could do to the activity here. If someone acts like a cunt in said section, they'd get b& just as they would in the rest of the forum. It's worth noting as well that much as we try to keep Compilation activity going, at some point there won't be any new material and we'll need something to tide us over. This is already actually happening to a certain extent; it's worth pointing out that General Discussion already contains something like 40% of posts, which I think last week was less. This may just be due to a surge in FF activity the week ACC was released, but idk.

This is how proponents of a spam section should be arguing their side. To me, that kind of reasoning is far less selfish and whiny, and I do understand a little better why some feel so passionately about having one here other than as an excuse to act /b/tarded. I still very much disagree that a spam section would be more useful than toxic, but I'm happy to hear something more substantial coming from the other POV.

And I am going to suggest something that may be a whole 'nother can of worms...but how about adding a shoutbox feature? I can see that serving the purpose of the Chit Chat thread, but in a more convenient way for those who just want to shoot the shit with each other.

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
It's not about the name, dude. It's about the content, which changing its name and shit would do absolutely nothing for.
You seriously don't think it would affect anything? Names can be pretty damn powerful. Old ACF members coming the forum seeing "spam" would expect the section to be run exactly like ACF's old spam section. Whereas seeing "off-topic discussion" would give a different impression entirely and provoke people to look at any rules threads that might be posted.

It's just not happening. It's not just about it turning out like ACF's spam forum. We just don't need the inane shit here or want it here.

C'mon.
I don't really see why an off-topic posting section would detract from anyone's posting experience here. Can someone please explain this for me? Thanks.

You haven't magically changed our minds calling it a different name. Way to go at insulting our intelligence. That really works.
I explained why names affect perception, so I can't really see how that amounts to "insulting your intelligence".

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Oh god. What's with people repeating the past like this?

We've already said no to a shout box because people should be posting not chatting in the shout box and shit. That goes against us getting people to post and be active on the forum.

And isn't our discretion, decision and reasoning YopY has repeated again and again and again reasoning enough? Why is "no" so hard to get?

Super Mario

IT'S A ME!
AKA
Jesse McCree. I feel like a New Man

C'mon.

Just name the spam secion Emperor Jokeropolis, it will be the wonder of TLS. I promise you that.

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
Alex, Ashes, Pennywise, Bill Weasley, Jack's Smirking Revenge, Sterling Archer
It wasn't insulting your intelligence tbh, new members who have only heard of the spam section on ACF already have a bad impression of it because of all the negative hoo-har surrounding it. Changing the name would have probably made it a lot less intimidating for new people. But that's the only part that would work, it doesn't change the 'it doesn't do anything for the site/forum'/'yop doesn't want it' etc, arguments. But it does have some merit as a suggestion to dispelling the negative connotations associated with ACF's spam.

Munatik

Beacause I am a puppet
Oh god. What's with people repeating the past like this?

We've already said no to a shout box because people should be posting not chatting in the shout box and shit. That goes against us getting people to post and be active on the forum.

And isn't our discretion, decision and reasoning YopY has repeated again and again and again reasoning enough? Why is "no" so hard to get?

Fair enough. I apologize for bringing it up.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
It's not just about the negative connotations or past history.

We don't want a section devoted to spam. We feel it detracts from the forum, sucks activity and is just not needed.

That's the answer excluding the past history and shit with ACF.

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
Alex, Ashes, Pennywise, Bill Weasley, Jack's Smirking Revenge, Sterling Archer
My post acknowledged that :monster:

But that's the only part that would work, it doesn't change the 'it doesn't do anything for the site/forum'/'yop doesn't want it' etc, arguments. But it does have some merit as a suggestion to dispelling the negative connotations associated with ACF's spam.

Isabella

Your Mom
I hate to keep bringing up ACF's spam forums, but that place created a subculture that was pretty hostile to newcomers and was always fighting with staff. If the members who are begging for a spam forum here are many of the same people from ACF, how can you guarantee it won't turn into the same thing? What's to keep people from behaving the same way they've grown accustomed to behaving?

Atticus

Kissed by Fire

MAKO EYES. we're having a nice conversation regardless of your and Yop's ideas. Your say may be the final say, but... there still has to be a say. We're chatting why or why not spam is good.

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
The claim that it would detract from activity seems to me unsupported by evidence. It's possible that people would post less because there's so much activity in the off-topic section. However, it's also possible that people would be driven to post more in other sections because they find other threads they wouldn't bother posting in while waiting for new material to show up in the off-topic forum. I for one don't really care what forum a topic is in, I just use new posts and open everything that looks interesting to me. The more activity there is at a site, the more I spend at it, so in my case at least having more off-topic discussion would actually encourage me to spend more time discussing other things here as well. Of course, I can't speak for anyone else, but yeah.

I hate to keep bringing up ACF's spam forums, but that place created a subculture that was pretty hostile to newcomers and was always fighting with staff. If the members who are begging for a spam forum here are many of the same people from ACF, how can you guarantee it won't turn into the same thing? What's to keep people from behaving the same way they've grown accustomed to behaving?

Simply put, the staff. If people act like cunts, warn/ban/etc.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Well I'm just saying we already took that into account so clearly trying to put it in a different packaging wasn't going to magically change our mind or make us receptive to it.

The concept in and of itself, is what we are against. Not its past.

@V

That's your opinion of it, but clearly X, Yop, and I don't feel that way, especially going by past history and shit.

We've already compromised and given users the Chit Chat thread to post and spam up. We seriously don't need or want an entire section devoted to it. Period. I don't know how else to explain it without just cunt pasting Yop, or my own thoughts on it again.

Last edited:

Atticus

Kissed by Fire

I being the biggest motivator behind this free chat forum business was not a flamer. never was. Probably won't be. I am the argument against your post. I was welcome of everyone who wandered into that spam section. IF a free chat forum were created here, it would be very welcoming.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Leon S. Kennedy,Terry Bogard, The Dark Knight, Dacon, John Marston, Teal'c
Well you guys can talk all you want, if yop doesn't change his mind situation remains the same.

I personally don't see the benefit, when we've got GC, chit chat and all that crap.

Perhaps being a little more lenient on spam in gc might help.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Yop isn't the only one who's admin too, fag :monster:

Don't forget X and I

Super Mario

IT'S A ME!
AKA
Jesse McCree. I feel like a New Man
SPAM...Was the wonder of ACF.Net

Emperor Jokeropolis shall be the wonder of TLS.net. It will come complete with a hall of fame, a hallf of shame, a tits display (NSFW of course), a Spam games section, a tags section for good people like DNA, and quite possibly an embassy of sorts for the newbs, n00bs and retards to coincide with the more happy going lot, and of course an emissary for the staff is important.

surely activity can be gained by a section for chatting about anything as opposed to limiting chat... That is what Emperor Jokeropolis will do to aid in the development of TLS... And of course, every oldie is welcomed to this endeavour, all the big leagues will want in!

reconsider... please.

PS: this is a civil approach, don't shut me out y0.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom