• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Speedruns thread

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V
As a contrast to the tool-assisted one, this thread is for speedruns that are played live. A lot of these are going to be on Twitch so they'll be links (because I'm too lazy to add an embed code for Twitch videos at the moment; maybe later).

I'll start out with a couple of super-glitchy ones.

Super Metroid GT Code. This guy has a bunch of other world record SM speedruns that are equally delicious but not as glitchy. I'll post these later.

The really good part starts at about two hours in. This is faster than the TAS by about an hour, because it skips so much of the game. Make sure you listen to the audio or you'll have absolutely no idea what's going on.
----

[Mod edit of 7/16/2020]
Thread title changed from "Live speedruns thrad" to "Speedruns thread." The thread has been used for speedrun videos and/or discussion in general, whether live, tool-assisted, etc., so that is now being reflected in the thread title.

Last edited by a moderator:

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
My favorite site ever :

http://speedrunslive.com/

Run (and I think owned?) by Cosmo whom is pretty much the king of LoZ speed running, especially in WindWaker and Ocarina of Time.

If your in the mood for watching a speed run or practice for one thats a damn good place to start :monster:

Cosmo using the latest method to speed run OoT for charity a few months ago.
He currently holds the world record at about 19 minutes though that run is not live in the sense of a AGDQ run (still great to watch!).

While he runs it he also goes over the history of OoT speed running and also breaks down a few cool quirks that have been discovered and general things that have happened pretty much over the last 10+ years.

Last edited:

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
I've watched a couple of Awesome/Summer Games Done Quick videos recently. Pokémon SoulSilver was great: the runner, Werster, really knew his stuff, and had an entertaining way of describing it. I don't like the runners so much in Final Fantasy VI - Essentia barely speaks and Puwexil is knowledgeable but kind of dreary - but the game itself, and the strategies they apply, make it worth seeing. I'm about half way through it right now. I also watched the SSX3 all-peak run and thought "this isn't that impressive" - CloakedYoshi wiped out a couple of times - before I realised that it was three whole minutes faster than my best time :P

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
I've watched a couple of Awesome/Summer Games Done Quick videos recently. Pokémon SoulSilver was great: the runner, Werster, really knew his stuff, and had an entertaining way of describing it. I don't like the runners so much in Final Fantasy VI - Essentia barely speaks and Puwexil is knowledgeable but kind of dreary - but the game itself, and the strategies they apply, make it worth seeing. I'm about half way through it right now. I also watched the SSX3 all-peak run and thought "this isn't that impressive" - CloakedYoshi wiped out a couple of times - before I realised that it was three whole minutes faster than my best time :P

You should check out MexiricanBassMonkey's run during SGDQ of LeafGreen (may have been AGDQ). Super entertaining and quirky :D

Cosmo very recently locked in the new WR for OoT any%Glitched at 18:29 IIRC its been over 4 months since he last got a PB.

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
Holy expedience Batman

Dustforce!

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
The VOD is not up yet on youtube yet but Cosmo got another WR on OoT any%/Glitched and it most likely will be unbreakable it seems. He nailed a HESS that was thought to only be possible in TAS runs and he was already ahead a full 20 or so seconds when he landed it. Ill edit this post when he puts the vod up on YT ( I hate twitch vods :monster: )

Anyway this is pretty huge :reptar:

edit:

Heres a good description for why its pretty insane

"He pulled off an insanely complex trick thats been nicknamed the "God HESS". It involves rolling into and shielding a falling rock to initiate a Hyper Extended Super Slide (HESS) That propels him backwards. He uses this to get down the tower ramp very rapidly. At a very specific point during the HESS he must Z-Target Zelda in order to cause Link to achieve a specific angle. This allows him to hit the corner of the bounded area at the bottom of the ramp. He then has to (literally) pray that this angle falls within the very small window of angles that enables the still continuing HESS to clip him through the barrier. He THEN has to pray again that this angle allows him to touch the Loading zone on the same frame as the void-out that would normally occur from falling. This is called the Void Warp.
Cosmo did extensive research and practice for this trick, tracking memory addresses in emulation. He determined that the trick itself, all said and done, has only a roughly 8% chance to succeed when all factors are accounted for.
Suffice it to say... Holy Shit..."

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
New-ish Super Metroid RBO speedrun. This shatters the old WR by like four minutes.

Marcus

Consumed By Darkness
Normally when I'm sat grinding a way on a game that doesn't take a whole lot a concentration I'll watch this.

They finish the entire game in around 10 hours and it's really entertaining, SpikeVegeta is one of my favorite speedrunners.

Lex

Administrator
Oh some guys are doing that thing

you know that thing

what is it again

Ah yes, the "December of Final Fantasy". Two guys are racing 21 Final Fantasy games over the month of December (almost every game). Last time I watched they were both on the FFIV games (After Years), now one is on FFVI and the other is on Crisis Core.

linky

EDIT: Tbh this deserves its own thread, imma split it out.

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
This is not tool-assisted but I didn't know where else to put it.

Even with the explanations it's still a lot of WTF. :lol:

(This is appropriate for the Live Speedrun Thread)

He did a new version just a little bit ago and hit a proper world record time with it.

X :neo:

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
It should be pointed out that while this is the fastest version performed on console with a controller, it's not the fastest version performed on a console period. As far as I know, that is still this version. That wasn't a live speedrun though.

It's pretty impressive that twenty-five years after its release date people are still discovering new things about Super Mario World. It really speaks to its endurance as a video game classic.

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
Not a speedrun per se, but he still beats Mike Tyson's Punchout blindfolded pretty swiftly.
It's all about the audio cues.

X :neo:

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
How the hell can someone even do that playing live? That's awesome.

Here's another feat I find impossible to believe someone managed to pull off live, even though I watched the whole thing. Here's what I believe to be the current world record run of Kaizo Mario 64 (to be fair, apparently only one guy has managed to speedrun it, but he's broken his original attempt by like forty minutes so it's still a heavily impressive feat, especially since the game is so unforgiving). If you want to watch a YouTube run instead, there's one here, but it's been obsoleted by like eight minutes:

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
KindaFunnyGames' Twitch channel had an 8 hour stream for the Igavania Kickstarter Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night (why don't we have a thread for this yet?)

Has speedruns for Guacamelee (12:30), Bunny Must Die (1:45:00) and Ori and the Blind Forest (5:00:00)!

Also, Iga Kogarashi himself plays Rogue Legacy, Shadow Complex, Axiom Verge and Shovel Knight (while their creators sit nearby and try not to lose their shit :monster:).

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
That Megaman multitasking run makes me wonder if it would be possible to complete two Final Fantasy games in the same way. It would obviously be a lot more complicated, since Megaman is basically run right + jump + fire all the way through. I might try it someday just for a laugh.

Edit: I just tried running two FFVII games (emulated) side by side with one controller. That could definitely work. I love a new challenge!

Last edited:

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Try 2-player Ikaruga.
Then explode your head. :awesome:

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
Could be disorienting if you are not used to Bhopping or seeing it in action but this is insanely impressive.

Top Bottom