Spoony versus FFX

Masamune

Fiat Lux
AKA
Masa
Perssonaly I think its rather awesome that he's become more open-minded about it. There isn't really anything wrong with cosplay afterall.

He's not being "open minded", he's doing it for cheap laughs so all his fanboys will roffle 'omg spoony drezzed as yoona lololol'

The problem with Spoony, or rather internet critics in general, is that they forget what made them funny in the first place and end up resorting to lame gimmicks and amateur dramatics because they buy into their own hype. Anyway, can't complain too much because it was closer to the old-skool Spoony than a lot of his recent stuff (particularly during the Scarlett era).

As for my own stance on cosplay: It's perfectly acceptable when it's done right, which sadly isn't too often.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Yeah I'm not a huge fan of when any of the internet critics feel the need to place an overarching story over their reviews. I guess it's something to keep themselves interested, but smeh. As long as they keep it to the ends of the videos I'm fine because it's easy to skip.

AVGN has a particularly bad habit of putting something excruciatingly annoying throughout a video.

Lord Noctis

Harbinger of Darkness
AKA
Caius Ballad
Theres nothing wrong with it as long as its entertaining. ANd the vast majority of the time, it is.

Vivi

Jump Rope Champion
AKA
Vivi, Setzer Gabbiani
Tbh, I totally skipped the cosplay part of the review. I've never found them to be funny. The other parts of the review are good, though.

Z

Zealkin

I liked this review on X-2 he got most of the flaws down, and he even complimented it a few times!

actually liked X-2

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
Sonique, Quexinos, Pinkie Pie, Derpy Hooves

so... wait

isn't Ject also a dream? That's what I thought... what is Spoony going on about? Man even I understood it :awesome: Although the theory that Ject raised Tidus to hate him so he'd kill him when he was sin is interesting... I just... don't think it's accurate unless I missed something

Kobato

Pro Adventurer
Good review. Unlike his FF8 imo >-> in the FF8 he got some things wrong, like you don't HAVE to spend hours just drawing magic, you can take a few fires and then leave, you don't even have to end the battle.

But with this review, he raised some good points. I was worried that he was going to diss One Thousand Words because personally, I adore that song... but he loved it D: D: D:

Yeah about the concert .... silly move. He's right, they should of saved the three leaders instead of well.... singing xD

And lol at holding the concert at the Thunder Plains. Never thought of that xD
Thunder plains + concert = extremely silly. xD

It's a fun review, he made some nice jokes as per usual of his reviews. Though if he hates Final Fantasy then... why does he have a model of FF8 figures, a FF X- 2 poster and cosplays as Yuna and Sephiroth ?

Wtf dude. Plus he always mentions that he dislikes Final Fantasy, but for some reason he's only mentions FF1, FF8, FF 13 and FF 10-2 ... that's like.. 4 Final Fantasies out of how many ? Surly if he reviewed FF4, FF6 and FF9 his thoughts would be different. imo.

Masamune

Fiat Lux
AKA
Masa
Good review. Unlike his FF8 imo >-> in the FF8 he got some things wrong, like you don't HAVE to spend hours just drawing magic, you can take a few fires and then leave, you don't even have to end the battle.

He did backtrack on the Draw system, IIRC, and conceded that you don't need to spend copious amounts of time drawing magic but it was still an inane concept altogether.

Wtf dude. Plus he always mentions that he dislikes Final Fantasy, but for some reason he's only mentions FF1, FF8, FF 13 and FF 10-2 ... that's like.. 4 Final Fantasies out of how many ? Surly if he reviewed FF4, FF6 and FF9 his thoughts would be different. imo.

He couldn't look past the art-style for FFIX, basically. He admitted as much. Also, during some TGWTG charity drive or something, a fan called in (who I should add, PAID for the privilege) and told Spoony he should review FFIX but he more or less got shot down by Spoony and the rest of the Channel Awesome posse.

And I remember him sticking up for the MMO-style of FFXII in his FFXIII vlog, but I don't know his overall thoughts on the game.

=PS=
You can set your font type/colour in your profile settings. Saves people fiddling about when they quote you. :monster:

Kobato

Pro Adventurer
He couldn't look past the art-style for FFIX, basically. He admitted as much. Also, during some TGWTG charity drive or something, a fan called in (who I should add, PAID for the privilege) and told Spoony he should review FFIX but he more or less got shot down by Spoony and the rest of the Channel Awesome posse.

Oh wow....... That's kinda rude.

I would of thrown something at them and Spoony , maybe because FFIX is one of my loves in life xD

And I remember him sticking up for the MMO-style of FFXII in his FFXIII vlog, but I don't know his overall thoughts on the game.

He might enjoy the game then. It's a possibly. Though knowing him he won't go near it, because he seems to rather to enjoy more ranting on the series than praising it. Oh and having merchandise of the games he hates >_>

=PS=
You can set your font type/colour in your profile settings. Saves people fiddling about when they quote you. :monster:

Oh sorry about that. I'll go change it right now c:

Edit :

Omg I just watched the FF 9 question on youtube...

You know what Spoony.

Fuck you, Fuck you.

I'm not watching your reviews anymore or any of your shit and your "crew "

Go die in a ditch. Assface.

The poor guy donated $ 300 to them... $ 300 and what do they do ? They act like immature dicks and cut him off, mock him just because he asked a FF question. They are pure asses and nothing but that.

Last edited:
Z

Zealkin

But with this review, he raised some good points. I was worried that he was going to diss One Thousand Words because personally, I adore that song... but he loved it D: D: D:

lol i know, i actually love that song XD
Yeah about the concert .... silly move. He's right, they should of saved the three leaders instead of well.... singing xD
Yeah cue the inherent girliness throughout the entire game, almost as annoying as the hot tub scene...and the thousands of .01 points in the gametried getting 100% in first play through
also during the dance minigame i just pressed random buttons and i got the best item...wtf

And lol at holding the concert at the Thunder Plains. Never thought of that xD
Thunder plains + concert = extremely silly. xD
lol i think they got carried away with the idea what if she made the thunder pains stop thundering!?! And ignored everything else. Lol calm lands would have made a lot more sense though I agree

Lord Noctis

Harbinger of Darkness
AKA
Caius Ballad
I don't know if you guys watched another video than me or something, but Spoony's response to that question didn't seem that bad. A bit rude sure, but its not like he was spitting hellfire or anything.

EDIT: Nevermind. I didn't realize they cut him off at first. Thats pretty fucking dickish.

Last edited:

Masamune

Fiat Lux
AKA
Masa
I don't know if you guys watched another video than me or something, but Spoony's response to that question didn't seem that bad. A bit rude sure, but its not like he was spitting hellfire or anything.

EDIT: Nevermind. I didn't realize they cut him off at first. Thats pretty fucking dickish.

It's the fact he's being an arrogant dick about it. "Your question annoys me." Yeah, the caller was a little pushy, but he'd paid those hacks $300 just to get through. Cut him some slack.

Also, the neckbeard in the background was calling him a wanker.

And Angry Joe. Just Angry Joe.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
If you guys are referring to this video ("Proof Spoony is a Douche Bag"):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=656Xu6GyzD8

I personally don't see it that as all that douchey. Keep in in mind he was partially acting in "character". And yeah he cut the caller off, but it is not that different from a radio host who needs to get to next caller. And Spoony had stated multiple times before he did not plan on reviewing FFIX, so he probably was tired of hearing requests/questions like that. Also Spoony in real life does not hate Final Fantasy fans, he puts on a "character" in his videos, this except from his FFX review commentary elaborates on this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PU1Xqv1CjQ4&feature=re­lated

He openly admits as a gamer, JRPGs in general don't appeal to him and it is just his personal preference.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Finished watching just now. Spoony's X-2 review is much better than that for X. He remembered to be funny this time (the Vegnagun sales video was really clever, as were the "Matrix" and "Gladiator" moments). He also makes several good points, though most have been brought up by more than one person in the nearly 10 years since the game came out.

Still, his comments about Al Bhed were spot on. Players had already learned the language once in FFX, and two of the main characters in X-2 already knew the language (both Paine and Rikku). Square probably should have offered players who had collected all the Primers in the first game the opportunity to start X-2 with the cipher already deciphered.

And, of course, the complaints about the completion percentage are well grounded, but again, everyone has already commented on that before.

Griping about leveling the abilities in Dresspheres was silly, though. He thinks more highly of FFVII, where you level materia. The idea is identical.

I also don't know how he missed other members of the musicians' races. They were present in the first game, and have a significant side-quest in this one.

And the game explains how Lenne's memories were projected to everyone on the Thunder Plains (the sphere screen), so that wasn't anything to be confused over.

At least he didn't bog the whole thing down with an obnoxious, unrelated skit, though. He would really benefit from just dropping those altogether -- as would every other game reviewer out there -- but whatevs. If they have to be there, the way he did it here is the way to do it: easily skippable.

And I will give him that I appreciated the air hockey table comparison for pushing the musicians into the elevator. :monster:

Also a nice surprise to see his positive reaction to "1,000 Words."

so... wait

isn't Ject also a dream? That's what I thought... what is Spoony going on about? Man even I understood it :awesome: Although the theory that Ject raised Tidus to hate him so he'd kill him when he was sin is interesting... I just... don't think it's accurate unless I missed something

You didn't. Jecht didn't know he was going to be Sin.

Spoony can probably be forgiven his confusion about Shuyin and Tidus, though. X-2's Ultimania Omega hints that Tidus is a descendant of Dream Zanarkand's version of Shuyin, which is less obvious than the idea that he may have been the summoned city's version of Shuyin.

It becomes obvious when someone points out that a thousand years had gone by since Dream Zanarkand was created, but it's forgivable. Translations of X and X-2's Ultimanias didn't get as much exposure as VII's have, though extensive translations were performed.

No excuse for thinking Auron's from Zanarkand, though.

I personally don't see it that as all that douchey. Keep in in mind he was partially acting in "character". And yeah he cut the caller off, but it is not that different from a radio host who needs to get to next caller. And Spoony had stated multiple times before he did not plan on reviewing FFIX, so he probably was tired of hearing requests/questions like that. Also Spoony in real life does not hate Final Fantasy fans, he puts on a "character" in his videos, this except from his FFX review commentary elaborates on this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PU1Xqv1CjQ4&feature=re%C2%ADlated

He openly admits as a gamer, JRPGs in general don't appeal to him and it is just his personal preference.

I'm not sure it's comparable to a radio host needing to get to the next caller. The dude had not only paid money for his call, but it isn't like Spoony and co. were pressed for time.

As for being in character, I don't know. Doesn't seem a good excuse to me.

Last edited:

Kobato

Pro Adventurer

I disagree. I don't think that Spoony was acting in his 'character' at all. He and his clique were laughing, being sarcastic at the caller, and telling him to fuck off. It was a event to donate money, not his usual review show. So he was showing his true colours. A immature, man-child.

Honestly I think that video that he made was to try and save his ass. Sorry, but not going to fall for it. He showed his true colours during the donating event. He's a douche and his "friends " are douche's too.

Sorry but " Your question annoys me " " Shut the Fuck up " " Why can't I ban him " And then they cut him off ?!?

Sorry but...... no. Just no.

It's rude, childish, dickish, arrogant, and ungrateful.

Also look how he smiles turning the video, he's happy that his posse is supporting him. He thinks that he's king imo. Spoony can Fuck off, seriously.

Masamune

Fiat Lux
AKA
Masa

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PU1Xqv1CjQ4&feature=re­lated.

This was Spoony during his dickish days, when he was being pussywhipped by his girlfriend (who went Nazi on his forums) and started believing he was God's gift to the internet.

Spoony doesn't really have a persona, as such. Sure, he hams it up a bit for the cameras, but for the most part what you see is what you get. It's not as if he was playing Doctor Insano or anything here. He was genuinely being dismissive and offhand with the caller.

Lord Noctis

Harbinger of Darkness
AKA
Caius Ballad
So, are you saying Spoony was worse when he was with Scarlet. Or he got better after she left?

I'm genuinely curious as I've never payed that much attention to Noah ANtwhiler, I've always been focused more on Spoony One.

Top Bottom