• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Spoony versus FFX

Russell

.. ? ..
AKA
King of the Potato People
nobody_cares.mbe.jpg

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I do.

Picking on them breathing underwater was pretty stupid, even for Spoony. But I'm intrigued. I doubt it will touch the hilarity of his FF8 review.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Ah, shit, I remember watching this when you posted it and then forgot to comment apparently. I found the review not funny and considered his points of complaint weak, illogical and themselves annoying.

Sure, there's no accounting for taste, but his complaints are less than rational and are poorly argued.

Hell, you're going to complain about Blitzball as one of the cornerstones of your argument for a game's fail? Christ.

Spoony: "This is never once explained."

I suppose if you ignore the existence of Ultimanias, sure. :monster:

Last edited:

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Did you watch his FF8 review(s), Tres? I'm just curious if you don't like his review style at all or just this one. Because, as I said, I too thought this was weak compared to FF8. But that could be attributed to the fact that I agree with him more on VIII than I do on X, but I know you're a big fan of VIII - so that's why I ask.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
I haven't seen his review of VIII -- but I'm also curious as to whether maybe it's just this guy who annoys me or if it's his approach to a game I consider one of the strongest in the series. VIII's weaknesses I acknowledge despite my love for it. I just don't think X really has any.

I'm going to go watch his review of VIII now and will get back to you soon.

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
Alex, Ashes, Pennywise, Bill Weasley, Jack's Smirking Revenge, Sterling Archer
Well that was disappointing, he's certianly no Yahtzee.

Even though he's trying to be.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Okay, I've watched the first 2 of the 11 videos (holy shit!!!) in Spoony's review of FFVIII. So far, I have to say it's much better than the FFX review.

Looks like the guy is funnier with cheaper production values and when speaking off the top of his head. I genuinely laughed my ass off at the second video being nothing but Draw footage and his commentary thereof, and his Quistis reactions were hilarious.

Thought some of the complaints have been silly, though. For instance, complaining about not understanding the "I'll be waiting," etc. subtitles in the opening is kind of the point. You're not supposed to know until you've actually experienced the story.

There's also something of a character development red herring in them, in that you'd think the one suggesting the promise is Rinoa, only to later find out that it was Squall. You need to get to know the characters first for the significance of the promise to really hit you.

Also, his complaint about having to scroll down to "Draw" and then select the spell he wants to stock each time is unfounded, as the customization menu allows one to set the cursor to "memory" and just repeat the last selections by hitting the confirm button over and over. 10 years after the game came out, there's really no excuse to not know that.

But, yeah, so far, this is much better.

I'll provide more feedback as I watch the rest.

Last edited:

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Definitely agree about being funnier with lower production values, I noticed that throughout the FFVIII reviews. They do stay pretty funny for the most part, but his more advanced editing tend to lead to more boring segments.

sheens

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Sheens, Mooglet
The Draw segment of his review was the funniest part imo. I did, indeed, laugh more than I thought I would. Even though I liked Drawing magic. ._.

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
Alex, Ashes, Pennywise, Bill Weasley, Jack's Smirking Revenge, Sterling Archer
Okay, I've watched the first 2 of the 12 videos (holy shit!!!) in Spoony's review of FFVIII. So far, I have to say it's much better than the FFX review.
I'm doing the same thing, he seems much funnier here.

It's not as bad as I first thought actually I'm quite enjoying it.

DrakeClawfang

The Wanderer of Time
Spoony's reviews are an acquired taste - if you don't like them, acquire some taste.

Seriously, yeah it isn't for everyone. I love the guy, the "RAGE!" review style cracks me up, but yes he has his hits and his misses. Watch the Pumpkinhead review, it highlights both - in his attempt understand a confusing PC game, he buys the Pumpkinhead movies and watches them, then tracks down a second copy of the game with the manual to read the instructions, and tops it off with creator commentary over how hard it was to review the game because of these difficulties in playing it and describing it. But he also goes on a rant about Soleil Moon Frye's breasts and makes far too many innuendo jokes about her to the point it stops being funny and gets creepy, so....yeah, hit and miss.

I enjoyed the FF8 review more too, actual commentary and not just ranting on every detail that doesn't make sense - come on, it's Final Fantasy. But then again it's only been part 1 so far, I'm waiting for part 2 to see if it picks up.

Wait until you get to the FF8 review part where he names Rinoa and Angelo. "This is really where you can have some endless fun." That for sure, YMMV.

Lord Noctis

Harbinger of Darkness
AKA
Caius Ballad
Spoony's reviews are an acquired taste - if you don't like them, acquire some taste.

Seriously, yeah it isn't for everyone. I love the guy, the "RAGE!" review style cracks me up, but yes he has his hits and his misses. Watch the Pumpkinhead review, it highlights both - in his attempt understand a confusing PC game, he buys the Pumpkinhead movies and watches them, then tracks down a second copy of the game with the manual to read the instructions, and tops it off with creator commentary over how hard it was to review the game because of these difficulties in playing it and describing it. But he also goes on a rant about Soleil Moon Frye's breasts and makes far too many innuendo jokes about her to the point it stops being funny and gets creepy, so....yeah, hit and miss.

I enjoyed the FF8 review more too, actual commentary and not just ranting on every detail that doesn't make sense - come on, it's Final Fantasy. But then again it's only been part 1 so far, I'm waiting for part 2 to see if it picks up.

Wait until you get to the FF8 review part where he names Rinoa and Angelo. "This is really where you can have some endless fun." That for sure, YMMV.

Its amazing how much I agree with this statement.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Alright, I'm convinced. I'll watch the rest of his FFVIII review tonight.

I've actually finished part 3. Can't believe how much he hates Triple Triad (talk about somebody needing to acquire taste!), but at least his review of it was funny.

Oh, and Zell with the Mentos bit? And Seifer's introduction with Darth Vader's theme? Win!

Lord Noctis

Harbinger of Darkness
AKA
Caius Ballad
Alright, I'm convinced. I'll watch the rest of his FFVIII review tonight.

I've actually finished part 3. Can't believe how much he hates Triple Triad (talk about somebody needing to acquire taste!), but at least his review of it was funny.

Oh, and Zell with the Mentos bit? And Seifer's introduction with Darth Vader's theme? Win!

I know. Those bits had me crackin up the first time I saw them too.

DrakeClawfang

The Wanderer of Time
I decided to watch Part 4. I remember loving the "master of the ellipses", "Squall has infinitely deep pockets," and "our villain for the game, Seifer, the man with the insults of a 7-year old."

DrakeClawfang

The Wanderer of Time
I'm up to the "Robot Spider Time Compression."

"Continue to choke up my 30-second elemental summoning as you have for 15 minutes!"

*hums Will Smith*

Top Bottom