Star Wars: Episode 7, 8... and BEYOND!

Pixel

The Pixie King
Interesting that both Luke and Ben are in red in the poster. And the blue of the lightsabre fades to red. Not sure about Ben's guyliner. Hope he's less of a little bitch in this one.

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
Can anyone make out the whispers in the background when Rey's talking about the Light, the Darkness, & the Balance?

X :neo:

Charles Xavier

Pro Adventurer
C9YRt1SXkAEYN-k.jpg

Regarding the poster... anyone getting He-man vibes?

vaderSW1

Dark Knight of the Red Wings
That trailer was epic! The poster is awesome! The panel was really well done. I fucking love it! Take my money! Here is my wallet! Take it!!!

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
I'm getting close to figuring out all the trailer whispers

• 0:47 Leia: “Help me, Obi-Wan” LIGHT
• 0:53 Obi-Wan: “Seduced by the Dark Side…” DARKNESS
• 0:59 Yoda: “Surrounds us… and binds us.” THE BALANCE

EDIT!! Thanks for the specific quote on the last one, Reddit!

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
The more and more I think about it, I think that the event of Luke's Jedi Academy falling to the Knights of Ren is making Luke realize that training and concentrating Force Users into the Light Side also creates the diametrically opposed Dark Side users in order for the Cosmic Force to achieve balance, and that's what's the source of the continual conflict & strife in the Galaxy, and that's why he's focused on ending the Jedi to stop that perpetual cycle from repeating itself.

Once Anakin brought balance to the Force there was a real chance for that cycle to end and that's why it was such a significant point of prophesy, and I think that's also what Luke's realized upon heading into isolation, and attempting to study the earliest organized Force users. I'm fairly sure that he's going to make steps to train Rey in both, since he has a bit of tendency to briefly embrace the Dark Side, both in the Force Cave on Dagobah, and throughout many parts of Return of the Jedi.

Additionally, throughout the Episode VII novelization, there's a HUGE focus on Snoke wanting to get Ben drawn to his side specifically because he's a child of the Dark Side AND the Light. I think that there's a drive to sort of train the one who's going to try to utilize both sides of the Force in that way, and Snoke clearly wants to achieve something even bigger than the Empire with his role in the First Order, whereas it's not quite clear what Rey's role is going to be aside from preventing that from occurring.

Either way, seeing as they've worked hard on seeding things for the Balance of the Force coming to pass and Force Users being steps in from each side with Ahsoka & Maul, and then the pure middle with Bendu in Rebels, it's really interesting to see some version of that coming into a bigger thing in the films.

When talking about the episode Twin Suns, Dave Filoni mentioned that Ezra gets drawn to Tattooine thinking that Obi-Wan is the key to destroying the Sith, and Obi-Wan knows he's mistaken. He secretly takes it to mean that Luke is the chosen one (which he tells Maul), which is why he puts such a strong focus on him later on.

HOWEVER – the bigger point that they were making is that Luke is the key to destroying the Sith, because he's the only one who still believes in Anakin who IS the chosen one – and who ultimately does bring about the balance. On that note, it seems like Luke is really the central pivot that the Force in the galaxy shifts around & he's trying to find out how to guide things now that his previous attempt to bring back the Jedi failed.

Lex

Administrator
Don't you think the "last jedi" thing is more about moving away from having Jedi vs. Sith and having true balance in the sense that people who use the force don't necessarily have to conform to one "side"? Someone floated this past me after watching the trailer and I like the theory.

Lord Noctis

Harbinger of Darkness
AKA
Caius Ballad
First off, loved the trailer. I couldn't be more hyped for this movie if I tried.

I feel like Luke's "Its time for the jedi to end" line is probably from early in the film, perhaps in an initial refusal to train Rey, perhaps because he has now realised the flaws inherent to the teachings of modern jedi, and Rey will have to help him shift his perspective. I don't think this movie will mark the actual end of the jedi as a whole, but rather the end of what the jedi had become by the time of the prequels. Remember what Snoke says back in TFA.

"If Skywalker returns, the new jedi will rise."

We also got the line "Without the jedi there can be no balance in the force."

These lines make it clear to me that the jedi aren't being discarded in this trilogy. Instead of the jedi coming to an end, by the time we reach the end of this trilogy we will likely have the beginning of a new jedi order that has returned to the very roots of the order, before all of the dogmatic rules and restrictions were introduced, before the birth of the sith and the atrocities and horrors that no doubt came with them, and the fear of the dark side that they inspired within the jedi.

I believe that Luke and Rey will discover the teachings of the original jedi, and that this will guide them in creating a new order.

Pixel

The Pixie King
I really hope Rose isn't annoying as fuck. I don't want an anime charicature like Rikku/Yuffie in star wars. I'd rather have had Jessica Henwick's character from Force Awakens explored.

Ghost X

Trailer looks visually impressive. Take note, movie industry: don't be afraid of colour and contrast :P.

The beginning, with the rock, I thought it was initially the surface of a planet, until Rey's hand comes slapping down on it. I wonder if that was their intention.

The coloured smoke trailing the spacecraft looks borrowed from Mad Max and/or Godzilla, though moreso the former :P. I wish these things weren't so blatant, but I guess that's the nature of culture. Not especially complaining, I think it looks cool :awesome:.

EDIT: Are we to expect that large parts of this trailer won't actually be in the movie? :awesome:.

Last edited:

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
The fact that both the poster and the trailer seem to be hinting that Rey is going to be training to BALANCE the Force rather than being on the Light or the Dark Side has me over the fucking moon.

Except that this is probably going to be problematic from a movie point of view though; a movie like this is always about good conquering evil (in the end), whilst "bringing balance" implies taking both the good and evil and turning it into something acceptable (e.g. a compromise). Off course, I wouldn't mind seeing that being worked out in a movie. It'd be a... different kind of movie though, like, no definitive good-pwns-evil, evil guy dies movie.

What I'm expecting is that Kylo Wossface redeems himself (reluctantly) and they pwn Snoke and his death star 4 in the 3rd / 9th movie. Not exactly hard to predict, so I'll be happy to be proven wrong.

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
I was conflicted over whether or not to watch the teaser (I generally don't watch trailers of movies I'm probably going to see anyway), but I eventually caved.

I really really want this to be good, but as of now, I'm still conflicted. If it really is everyone rejecting Jedi/Sith teachings and starting something new I'm not sure I'm on board with that. Grey Jedi as a concept, sure, but not 'hey, everyone in the last ten thousand years and every other movie, you're all totally wrong'.

I had some... creative differences... with TFA, so at the moment I'm not sure what to expect from this one. We'll see.

Lord Noctis

Harbinger of Darkness
AKA
Caius Ballad
The fact that both the poster and the trailer seem to be hinting that Rey is going to be training to BALANCE the Force rather than being on the Light or the Dark Side has me over the fucking moon.

Except that this is probably going to be problematic from a movie point of view though; a movie like this is always about good conquering evil (in the end), whilst "bringing balance" implies taking both the good and evil and turning it into something acceptable (e.g. a compromise). Off course, I wouldn't mind seeing that being worked out in a movie. It'd be a... different kind of movie though, like, no definitive good-pwns-evil, evil guy dies movie.

I don't think thats necessarily what balance means in this instance. I think a character could belong primarily to the light and still be balanced.

The problem with the jedi of the prequel era was that they had embraced a total rejection of the dark side both inside and outside of themselves.

In season 6 of the clone wars
Yoda at one point is faced with a physical manifestation of his own inner darkness. Initially he rejects it, fights it, and refuses to acknowledge it as part of himself, which seems to reflect the overall mentality that the jedi held at the time. As the battle progressed, however, Yoda eventually came to accept the darkness as part of himself, and pulled it back in. However, despite this shift in his perspective, he did not start using dark side abilities past this point, nor did he stop trying to oppose the sith or restore peace or anything else. He was still a champion of the light, but his understanding of both the force and himself had matured. Thats the sort of balance I suspect these movies are heading towards.

Well they better use computer magickz to change his wound in a re-release of Episode VII, because now this inconsistency between 7 & 8 will bother me. :monster:

Charles Xavier

Pro Adventurer
A little off topic, and I'm sure this question's been brought up before, but I was just watching the duel again between Obi Wan and Darth Vader in 'A New Hope', and the question struck me. Considering how much both were backflipping, somersaulting and swinging those lightsabers like there was no tomorrow in 'Revenge of the Sith', do you think Darth Vader was fighting Obi Wan seriously, or was he simply toying with the old man?

True, Obi Wan by the time of 'New Hope' had become incredibly old and weak to fight like the way he did twenty years back, but for Darth Vader (especially considering how well he was swinging his lightsaber in 'Rogue One'), I honestly felt he could have struck his mentor down in a cinch with one blow (which he kind of did eventually). Was he deliberately dragging the battle?

Last edited:

Alex Strife

Ex-SOLDIER
Well, back then the technology wasn't as good to have the choreography that Star Wars developed with the years. And it was meant to be closer to Japanese kendo as well, though later movies kind of moved away from that.

So if anything, it'd be about justifying a good in-universe reason for the fight to be less spectacular that those we've seen afterwards.

Top Bottom