Super Smash Bros.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
^ Hehehe have you seen the reaction videos to the trailer? PRICELESS.

Ahh, is Cloud really not returning? I haven't followed Smash very closely since Melee (understanding, of course, that the Melee community is still raging), so I haven't really kept up with the news on the characters. Loved that Cloud was added! Sadly haven't played him yet though...

I haven't seen the reaction videos to the trailer. Though when I noticed the rumor link, my reaction was, "Wait, what?" and then I went to Youtube to check it out to see if it was real or not. I honestly didn't think there'd be any more games after the Wii U and the 3DS games.

As I said, I'm not sure if Cloud's returning or not, though given that he's an icon of Final Fantasy(One of the top favorite protagonists of the franchsie), I don't think he will. I think Nintendo had to like ask Square Enix permission to have Cloud as a DLC character for the previous games.

One character I'd like for them to introduce new to the game, though, is Alisa. She's become another one of my favorite characters.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
Not only is Cloud returning, but the new "World of Light" storymode in the upcoming Super Smash Bros: Ultimate game has me a little inspired, curious and shocked at the same time.

Pity that Alisa or Sora(from Kingdom Hearts) won't be in it, but, oh well.

I love how, like, absolutely no one was expecting Piranha Plant as a playable character. The other newcomers from the last Direct didn't really do much for me, but I'm actually really looking forward to trying Piranha Plant out.

Pity that Alisa or Sora(from Kingdom Hearts) won't be in it, but, oh well.

Not that I'm gonna get my hopes up, but isn't there still DLC?

I didn't seriously expect it to happen, but Isaac from Golden Sun was the one character I was hoping would get in, but I think he's been confirmed as an assist trophy (again). :(

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Seems like, judging by what I saw yesterday on Youtube at the first look of the World of Light Mode, that Galeem is pulling off a combination of Bhunivelze in Lightning Returns and Xehanort in the Kingdom Hearts franchise, and Kirby is the combination of Lightning and Sora.

Edit: 28/11/2018-Apparently Cloud Strife is restricted from the Story Mode of Super Smash Bros Ultimate and thus will not appear in that mode at all.

Edit 2: 8/12/2018-Okay, so Cloud's in the Story Mode of Ultimate since I checked out the first of the gameplays on Youtube yesterday but his English Voice actor Steve Burton is absent so Cloud speaks Japanese in both versions of the game.

Secondly, and here comes the spoilers,
the Story Mode itself has three endings and only one is the True Ending, so heed thy warning future players: No sooner Galeem is defeated, his dark counterpart arrives with an Army of Crazy Hands and he is called Dharkon(and yes, this is how his name is spelled), the "Embodiment of Chaos and Darkness" and he wants to destroy Galeem and consume the world into Darkness.
So after defeating Dharkon, things are very tricky. If you just defeat Galeem, Dharkon takes over and consumes everything into Darkness and all of the Characters slump, dead. (You only see Mario fall dead in this part): That's Bad Ending Number 1.

If you just defeat Dharkon on the other hand, Galeem destroys him, kills everyone else and recreates the entire Universe to his liking: That's Bad Ending Number 2.

So in order to get the True Ending and save every existance, you must fight and free both Master Hand and Crazy Hand and they will create a crack in the frabric of the Realms or something like that, and get this, before confronting the final boss, you get to PLAY as Master Hand to fight off the army of Puppet Clones of the characters to move on which I think is very cool. Anyway, once that's done, the final path way opens where you must go through more Puppet fights and four more Major Boss fights before you can fight both Galeem and Dharkon, which is the true final Battle. You destroy one and get rid of the other, thus you had conjoured both Light and Darkness.

Then, as the two enemies fall dead into the ocean just before the Sun has fully set, they explode which restores the World of Light, and all of the Spirits of everyone fly into Space. While this is very confusing, someone made a suggestion that these Spirits are returning to their Home worlds or back to the newly restored Super Smash Bros. World.

Just thought I'd help a little bit.

Last edited:

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
*looks for my fav on the list*
*not there, breathes sigh of relief*
My wholesome content remains unproblematically wholesome :wacky:

I can't say I'm terribly familiar with the Smash/FGC, but I did swing by some university tournaments when I was like 18-20. A few times I went, I would see bunches of 10 year olds there, among a club of mainly 20-somethings. It was a little bit weird, but I assumed that they were probably siblings of the members there, and I didn't automatically assume the possibility of anything weird happening. Not that I would anyway tbh, but in light of news like this, it shows that it's pretty prime grounds for grooming. Especially for a game like Smash, which attracts an audience of a very wide age range...

This is happening in pretty much every community I'm following rn. Something about how... long this specific list is, and the fact that it's Smash Bros is giving me a big sad.

Prism

Pro Adventurer
AKA
pikpixelart
As someone who plays Melee with all of the "competitive" tricks and strats (on a casual level, ironically), maybe that's for the better. The group picture Sakurai took with the top players is now tainted. Half of the people in that shot are confirmed predators now.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Nintendo is kicking itself for going against it's initial judgment of ignoring the pro scene and focusing squarely on the brand.

Turns out yes, there was a huge risk.

This Smash community debacle serves as a reminder that just due to the sheer nature of probability and statistics, large groups of adults/young adults need to be kept away from children and teenagers. It is inevitable that through this large intermingling of age groups, abuse will occur.

This is why children need to be kept away from adult spaces, and vice versa.

Reading through these confessions and disclosures brings to mind textbook case studies of childhood abuse. All of these instances reflect the naivety of children/teenagers, the exploitation by adults, and the inevitable heart break and trauma that children experience upon realizing the gravity of the situation.

This is beyond just heart break. The emotional, physical and sexual trauma leaves a scar. Children are not capable of dealing with the complexities of such interactions, especially when it results in a physical relationship that does not reciprocate the emotional need fulfillment that is expected from such an intimate act. It's exploitative. It's coercive.

Even when the child/teenager actively seeks out the relationship. Even if they initiate. Even if they actively state in unequivocal terms how they "want it," they do not know what the fuck they're talking about, and almost every single fucking time, leads to regret, shame, and confusion.

This is why it's wrong. This is why it's illegal. This is why it's harmful.

The experiences these young adults have had, have maladaptively shaped them. It's going to be a fucked up time dealing with this. Because, Smash is definitely not the only fandom/scene this has happened. We'll probably be seeing this in Pokemon next. Calling it.

EDIT:

<blockquote class="reddit-card" data-card-created="1593888432"><a href=" https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/hkwwlj ">I think the biggest thing the community should do is end the normalization of "Smash houses" where young teenagers sleep under the same roof as older strangers.</a> from <a href="http://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros">r/smashbros</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//embed.redditmedia.com/widgets/platform.js" charset="UTF-8"></script>

The fact this apparently was a fucking thing, pretty much explains it all. With things like that happening and being common place, of course abuse is gonna happen. Jesus Christ.

Last edited:

Prism

Pro Adventurer
AKA
pikpixelart
Smash's brand is best when they focus on embracing itself as a fun tribute to video game and Nintendo history, yeah. I've enjoyed the fun, deep gameplay over the years, but the competitive scene as a whole doesn't really care about the characters, only what they're capable of. Fox is the "shine guy," not the Star Fox character everyone loves. So even with the clear moral reasoning aside, Nintendo's initial instincts were right to ignore the scene. But then we get into the much, much deeper problems - the fact that the eSports industry basically revolves around a bunch of young people with no oversight holding giant events at places where opportunity for unaccountable actions is rampant. Which, in this case, turned out to be sexual assault, harassment, and abuse.

Minors and adults shouldn't be mixed in these scenes, no doubt. It's a big mistake. When the scene started out fifteen to twenty years ago, everyone was pretty much a minor. But now? A couple of game generations in, that isn't the case. It's a mix now.

Hopefully Nintendo comes up with something to address this, even though none of it was their fault. Their games have mass appeal to both children and adults - which indirectly causes these types of situations to appear.

We'll probably be seeing this in Pokemon next. Calling it.
It already has.

Top Bottom