Supergirl

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
Amizon, Commander Shepard, Ellie, Rinoa Heartilly, Xena, Clara Oswald, Gamora, Lana Kane, Tifa Lockhart, Jodie Holmes, Chloe Price.
I liked Melissa in Glee, I love her in this. When's the premiere? :monster:

Super Mario

IT'S A ME!
AKA
Jesse McCree. I feel like a New Man
I wish they didn't kill her off in Man of Steel and made a movie like this. Would have seen it too.

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
They didn't kill her in Man of Steel. The single open and empty pod that he finds on the colony ship full of otherwise mummified Kryptonians that was buried in the ice up north was actually an easter egg type reference to her origin.

X :neo:

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Cheesy is one way to put it. Looks like a Disney Channel show (this is my story, I'm a simple teenage gurl vs the world and I keep getting into CRAZY situations!1one. Oh and I liek boys, boys are so kawaii <3 OMG SO AWKWARRRD *bites lip*)

and shit. TL;DR, not my kinda thing, :monster:

Carlie

CltrAltDelicious
AKA
Chloe Frazer
Yeah I'm with Shademp (edit: and Yop) here, that was an awful trailer. It reeks of stereotypical female bullshit. A lot of it plays out like a trailer for a romantic comedy show about a girl in the big city, with the cliche music and everything. It has a lot of similarities with the beginning of the Black Widow parody trailer SNL did:

Now compare the Supergirl trailer with the one from another superhero series with a dorky protagonist played by someone who was in Glee:

Quite the big difference. There's not a chance in hell I'm watching this Supergirl show after that trailer.

Super Mario

IT'S A ME!
AKA
Jesse McCree. I feel like a New Man
I wonder where was Brainiac in that super girl trailer, it would be a hilarious plot twist.

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
Except in this case you're missing out. This isn't some random internet troll. The dude makes a sound argument.

Comparing Supergirl to the Black Widow sketch is very short sighted, because while the tone is wrong for Black Widow, making this show in a way that would fit Black Wdow could be wrong for Supergirl.

Imho I feel like all of this is stemming from an unconcious, ingrained train of thought that feminine = bad, and the only good woman is a woman who is masculine and tries to act like a man.

Supergirl doesn't have to be Black Widow in order to be good, nor should she try to be.

Also, while I didn't outright hate all parts of it, Iron Man 3 is the weakest movie in the MCU, so the dude isn't that far off. :monster:

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Missing out on what? I didn't like the trailer because it went overboard with the cheese factor, you can't just argue that away for me. :huh:
It's okay, I'm not the target audience for this (and tbh, I don't like kryptonian Superpeople anyway).

Imho I feel like all of this is stemming from an unconcious, ingrained train of thought that feminine = bad, and the only good woman is a woman who is masculine and tries to act like a man.

Yeah, I don't think that's it at all. Buffy was still plenty feminine for example and that had a wide appeal. :monster:

Also, the Thor movies are the weakest imo. :P

Last edited:

Carlie

CltrAltDelicious
AKA
Chloe Frazer
Except the Black Widow SNL sketch wasn't mocking femininity but the typical stereotypes and cliches female leads get in their movies.

Also I only compared the beginning of the Black Widow SNL sketch to Supergirl. Yes Natasha and Kara are completely different characters which is why the trailer I compared Supergirl's to was The Flash. Both characters are quite similar to each other, both shows aim to be lighter and softer. But were The Flash's trailer did a great job of balancing the lightness and action, the Spuergirl one comes off as a mix of a bad romantic comedy and The Devil Wears Prada. With Calista Flockhart doing a pretty bad imitation of Meryl Streep's Miranda Priestly.

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
@Tets: Because you were refusing to read what that guy had to say just because he doesn't like Iron Man 3.

And while Buffyy is great, Supergirl seems slightly more girl centered than even that. This may mean it isn't for you but that doesn't make it bad.

I just think the common argument that has been popping up that Supergirl will suck because of the Black Widow skit is a bit shortsighted. Black Widow and Supergirl are very different.

Also, no. The Thor movies are actually fun. And they have Idris Elba. :monster:

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
I don't have any problem with this trailer. It's going to be girly (super girly =P), but why does that have to be a problem? "The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants" is a girly movie. It's also fucking awesome.

And "overly cheesy"? I'd say appropriately so. It's Supergirl, for God's sake. =P Outside a comic, you don't try to play that any more seriously than you do Ant-Man. Otherwise, you may end up with this:

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Ant-Man doesn't come across as cheesy because it's not taking itself seriously though. Cheesyness imo comes from playing silly stuff straight with no self awareness and this trailer played up the clichee chick flick vibe with nary a hint of irony.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
I guess my main issue is that instead of doing a light TV show about a woman (girl?) that also happens to be a superhero(ine), they're taking an established male protagonist and change their gender, basically admitting that on its own the character wouldn't really stand out - in my perspective anyway. Same with the other ones like batgirl, female Thor, she-hulk, etc. When did that ever happen the other way around? Black Widower? He-Storm? IDK. I know nothing of comic book culture though.

Plus the fact that it's "girl", instead of "woman". I know they're trying to match the two-syllable superhero name and shit, but "girl" is the young version. It's like calling Smallville "Superboy".

Actually disregard me; they did make a Superboy TV series around 1990, :monster:.

Also FWIW Ant-man comes across as super cheesy. As does uhh, that guy with the swords - superhero bro-action-comedy?

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Ant-Man doesn't come across as cheesy because it's not taking itself seriously though. Cheesyness imo comes from playing silly stuff straight with no self awareness and this trailer played up the clichee chick flick vibe with nary a hint of irony.
That is a valuable distinction, sure, but I wasn't talking about not taking itself too seriously. I didn't say it isn't a degree of cheesy either. I said it doesn't appear to be being played too seriously -- i.e. compare this trailer to a trailer for "Man of Steel" or "Dawn of Justice." The grimity is thick enough to cut with a knife over there.
I guess my main issue is that instead of doing a light TV show about a woman (girl?) that also happens to be a superhero(ine), they're taking an established male protagonist and change their gender, basically admitting that on its own the character wouldn't really stand out - in my perspective anyway. Same with the other ones like batgirl, female Thor, she-hulk, etc.
Supergirl has been around since 1959. Yeah, many comics characters have been and continue to be created as derivatives of (White, straight, traditionally gendered) male characters, but legacy characters are how the comics industry has worked for a really long time, even when trying to push new (White, straight, traditionally gendered) male characters.

It's not this TV show's job to change that. Its job is to be a watchable program depicting an adaptation of a long-established character.

Last edited:

Lex

Administrator
Idk, I don't mind cheesy and I actually found the "femininity" kind of refreshing for a superhero show, but my problem with the trailer came from the fact that it feels incredibly disjointed when you're watching it. It really does feel like a rom-com that switches to action superhero, rather than just traditionally feminine with superhero elements.

I'm actually down with that, because I like cheesy chick-flicks (like The Devil Wears Prada), but I can totally see where it might lose its appeal for some people. I think people should probably give it a watch before judging though. I just felt like the trailer was failing to pick a direction, but maybe that's because this is something that is so kind of fresh and unheard of our brains are slightly taken aback by it.

I was actually the one who made the Devil Wears Prada and Meryl Streep/Calista Flockhart allegories while watching the trailer on Skype to Carlie :monster:

What I will say is that I can't really stand Calista. I loved Ally McBeal and Brothers and Sisters which she starred in, but the woman plays the same fucking role in everything she's ever done. And the extreme botox does not go well with her general diction (which is the same in everything she's ever done).

Top Bottom