• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Suspension of Disbelief and Good Fiction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
:sigh: (If I could type in a Ben Stein voice here, I would be.

A-GAIN. Denzel and Geostigma were explained. Geostigma was given weight and threat. Cloud was given more exposition through scenes with Denzel and Marlene. Reno and Rude's absurdity is turned down a bit and they provide story for what is happening within the remains of Shinra, etc.
You don't have to like the movie. But there is no argument that ACC was not an improvement. There simply isn't one.

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
I HAVE FINISHED. I DID NOT WATCH THE LAST BATTLE. I SKIPPED IT.

That's called quitting, not finishing.

That being said, I'm looking forward to seeing how much you were actually able to glean from the film, and how much you missed with your constant posting here.

X :neo:

DLPB

Banned Flunky
AKA
Seifer Almasy, DanielReturns
So what would you put in the story? How would you develop the characters? What would you consider faithful?
I wouldn't have made a sequel because THE STORY WAS COMPLETED. Trying to make a sequel is not a good idea. I would have made an original story. Everything was DONE in FF7.

But for sure, anything is an improvement on what I just saw. How about a story of how Cloud and Tifa form a relationship (and cid and Sierra, and maybe other characters?) after saving the world. The whole world now without proper leadership, Shin-Ra is gone... showing how the people cope.

Showing us what the characters have been doing since we last saw them, real dialogue with Red XIII. How is he coping now that he is alone. We saw that he had children at the end of VII. EXPLAIN THAT in a story. Showing us how Barrett settled down taking care of Marin.

perhaps the world has a new threat? Not from Jenova or Sephiroth or some virus out of nowhere. Perhaps someone tries to reorganise shin-ra?

I can offer a load of options but that is in 5 minutes, THESE GUYS SAT DOWN FOR DAYS AND CAME UP WITH THAT PIG SWILL.

ol, how unshocking that you skip the scenes which have the largest changes from the original.

IT WAS AN ENDLESS FIGHT SCENE WHICH HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE STORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRY

ForceStealer

Double Growth
DLPB said:
But for sure, anything is an improvement on what I just saw. How about a story of how Cloud and Tifa form a relationship (and cid and Sierra, and maybe other characters?) after saving the world. The whole world now without proper leadership, Shin-Ra is gone... showing how the people cope.

Showing us what the characters have been doing since we last saw them, real dialogue with Red XIII. How is he coping now that he is alone. We saw that he had children at the end of VII. EXPLAIN THAT in a story. Showing us how Barrett settled down taking care of Marin.

*cough*onthewaytoasmile*cough*

DLPB said:
or some virus out of nowhere

...now...wouldn't any new threat have been out of nowhere?

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
IT WAS AN ENDLESS FIGHT SCENE WHICH HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE STORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRY

It was a scene showing how Cloud finally puts all his guilt about what happened in FFVII behind him, and overcomes the thing he can't forgive himself for. It ALSO shows what makes him strong enough to defeat Sephiroth, and I'm NOT referring to his limit break. It's obvious that you missed one of the most obvious elements of the "SSSTTTTOOOOORRRRRRRRRYYYYYY" that you claim doesn't exist.

You DO know that the storytelling continues during the fight scenes, right?

DLPB

Banned Flunky
AKA
...now...wouldn't any new threat have been out of nowhere?

It would have a proper reason. Not "planet is mad"

I am sorry but that isn't good storytelling. Also, I havent looked at this onwaytosmile thing. I havent played any of the preq/seq games either. I avoided everything after AC for good reason.

I was asked what I would have done, and I answered it.

DLPB

Banned Flunky
AKA
It was a scene showing how Cloud finally puts all his guilt about what happened in FFVII behind him, and overcomes the thing he can't forgive himself for. It ALSO shows what makes him strong enough to defeat Sephiroth, and I'm NOT referring to his limit break. It's obvious that you missed one of the most obvious elements of the "SSSTTTTOOOOORRRRRRRRRYYYYYY" that you claim doesn't exist.

You DO know that the storytelling continues during the fight scenes, right?

LOL YOU CANT BE SERIOUS!

:awesome::awesome::awesome::awesome:

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Leon S. Kennedy,Terry Bogard, The Dark Knight, Dacon, John Marston, Teal'c

The reason wasn't "planet is mad".

Tifabelle

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Tifabelle, Nathan Drake, Locke Cole, Kain Highwind, Yamcha, Arya Stark
Wait. Do you want a movie about fighting evil without fight scenes? Because...wut.

Also did you read On the Way to a Smile? Because you basically just summarized it there.

DrakeClawfang

The Wanderer of Time
So you have chosen to remain purposefully ignorant and then bitch about the things you are ignorant about....

Explains a lot.

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't a lot of those suggestions already covered in other Compilation material?

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
It would have a proper reason. Not "planet is mad"

The Planet is a living entity as is clearly established in the original FFVII fiction. If it's in pain, or angry it directly affects the lifeforms on it, whos spirit energy makes up the planetary entity. Very clear reasoning based on the concept of the Lifestream that's explained in FFVII and again at the beginning of the film, although as Tets stated, it's NOT the reason for Geostigma.

DLPB

Banned Flunky
AKA
Also did you read On the Way to a Smile? Because you basically just summarized it there.
No I didnt. But as you can see, I am obviously intelligent enough to understand how to make a proper novel.

I have not read ANYthing or SEEN anything from the compilation other than AC.

----------

To sum this up for you. It is worthless to debate with you, as you do not even understand the basics of storytelling. Only 1 person on this thread even understands why endless battles don't work in proper story telling, and why AC was not a good thing.

You all need reevaluating. As usual.

A fight contains a story element by reflecting the mindset of the character at that point.
In the fight with Loz and Yazoo in the Forgotten City, Cloud is still doubting himself and he can't quite defeat them and ends up beaten by Kadaj.

Cloud regains his faith in himself and proceeds defeating the Sephiroth remnants. Even if that change of Cloud's changed mentality is the only story element visible in the fights it IS still a story element.

Advent Children's story is thin but it is not non-existant.

Lord Noctis

Harbinger of Darkness
AKA
Caius Ballad
Now you claim not to have played any of prequels or sequels aside from AC, but you also claim to know they are terrible. You are not making yourself seem very credible.

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
I feel like the only way I would be able to articulate an appropriate response to this thread is if I were pissed drunk. I'm not quite sure what that might say about me, or this thread.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
No I didnt. But as you can see, I am obviously intelligent enough to understand how to make a proper novel.

I have not read ANYthing or SEEN anything from the compilation other than AC.

----------

To sum this up for you. It is worthless to debate with you, as you do not even understand the basics of storytelling. Only 1 person on this thread even understands why endless battles don't work in proper story telling, and why AC was not a good thing.

As I have continually warned you. Stop insulting other members and needlessly dragging out debates that you have no interest in. If you never meant to post a proper review in this thread, then you've been greatly wasting a lot of time, and showing undeserved amounts of disrespect to the memberbase here.

Take a week to cool off, and when you come back, please be constructive, and stop being demeaning to the other members here who want to have a nice community to discuss titles that they enjoy without having their opinions needlessly, continually, blindly berated.

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
Sonique, Quexinos, Pinkie Pie, Derpy Hooves
DLPB
Epic Member
Banned

aww... my lulz D:

But in honesty, I don't think he really watched it. :monster:
I mean he still didn't get the stuff about Denzel and Geostigma so he either wasn't paying attention or skimmed through it.

Tifabelle

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Tifabelle, Nathan Drake, Locke Cole, Kain Highwind, Yamcha, Arya Stark

So that would be a proper novel, eh? Because the people that wrote it are the same people THAT CREATED THE MOVIE.

"I'm right, you're wrong."

BlahBlah.gif

But in honesty, I don't think he really watched it. :monster:

I don't think he really watched it either.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
you do not even understand the basics of storytelling.

I'd love to know how you can be such an expert on storytelling when you clearly cannot comprehend storytelling. How could you be so wrong about Geostigma when RUFUS FLAT-OUT TELLS YOU WHAT IS CAUSING IT?

Also, hilarious how you think the entire forum LOVES ACC. I happen to like it, but a large proportion of the members here do not. But as I explained to you in the FFXII discussion, you make it completely impossible to agree with you. You reasons are so asinine and your attitude is so awful that even people who agree with your given statement are forced to contest everything else you do.

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
Sonique, Quexinos, Pinkie Pie, Derpy Hooves
I'd love to know how you can be such an expert on storytelling when you clearly cannot comprehend storytelling. How could you be so wrong about Geostigma when RUFUS FLAT-OUT TELLS YOU WHAT IS CAUSING IT?
Again I don't think he watched it. It's pretty obvious when he missed that huge conversation between Cloud and Rufus that was right in the beginning :monster:

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
DLPB
Epic Banned

fixx'd

EDIT: For one, imo DLPB came out expecting and assuming too much, with reasons that he tried to pass off as absolute facts. It was close-minded and tunnel-visioned and never considered whatever ACC had past face value.

From the original topic, suspension of disbelief also depends on the person being presented with the material. Some suspend their own disbelief better than others. I can suspend my disbelief with ridonculous things like Bayonetta using her hair to clothe herself and stomp on giant demons with her nakedness, but I can't suspend my disbelief with the Russians parachuting into American Suburbia in the modern-day context of Modern Warfare 2.

This is all relative. DLPB just closed his eyes and shut his ears, and refused to consider the what-ifs of whether or not the characters were capable of what they were doing and what they were talking about in the context of the Compilation universe.

I'm not normally a person who likes to seriously whale on someone else for acting in a way I disagree with, but 15 pages of "this movie is stupid and you're all stupid" is absurd. I'm going to try and forget this thread existed, and I hope a mod buries this somewhere where I can forget about this more easily.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom