The FFVII Mobile Game Initiative (2004-2008 Era)

The termination of another era has been announced.

- FOMA and i-mode services will end on March 2026

Google Translate said:
NTT DOCOMO, Inc. (hereinafter “DOCOMO”) announced the “FOMA®” 3rd generation mobile communication system and the “i-mode®” service that allows users to use the Internet and mail from mobile phones on March 31, 2026 (Tuesday). It will end.

"FOMA" started the world's first 3rd generation mobile communication service in October 2001, and it is possible to enjoy larger capacity videos and games with 384kbps (2001) communication. In 2011, we reached approximately 57 million contracts.

In addition, “i-mode” started service in February 1999, and enjoyed the popularity of the ability to enjoy the Internet from a mobile phone at a communication speed of 9600bps (at the time of 1999) and to send and receive e-mail. Many customers have used it, such as breaking through about 49 million contracts in July of the year.

With the recent decrease in the number of contracts due to changes in the market environment due to the spread of 4G (4th generation communication system) and the termination of the service to concentrate management resources on 5G (5th generation mobile communication system) did.

As already announced, “FOMA” voice plan and “i-mode” are no longer accepted on September 30, 2019, and “FOMA Data Plan” and “Ubiquitous Plan®” are March 2020. New applications will be closed on the 31st (Tuesday). In addition, we will inform you about the end of services such as “i-Channel®” and “i-concier®” provided by “FOMA” and “i-mode”.

DOCOMO will continue to work closely with each customer's lifestyle and aim to further enhance the services for the 5G era.

Square Enix games provided via online i-mode services were already terminated in March 2018 last year. It was only a matter of time before i-mode would be phased out completely from Docomo's services. I'm sure the select few who still use FOMA and i-mode appreciate this note 6 1/2 years in advance!

Twitter user "sigekun", who was involved in i-mode planning and development at DoCoMo, posted that the i-mode emotes have been added to the Museum of Modern Arts.

EIBqUfCVAAAwyT3

Other outlets about the same news:
- Engadget
- ITMedia
- Yahoo JP

New subscription applications for i-mode stopped being accepted last year in 2018, September 30. In time for this a writer at ITMedia recalled their experiences with the service and the pre-smartphone era in general.

Last edited:
Only tangentially related to the search for FFVII mobile game data, but apparently 13th Vessel (famous for out-of-bounds KH3 and FFVIIR videos) together with takyb and rikunami13 has managed to extract Kingdom Hearts: Coded chapter data from an SD card.

A game executable, along with any other data stored on the phone's internal memory, is still locked away but regardless it's impressive to have found this SD card. There doesn't seem to be any other documentation online of this treasure hunt (no forum thread etc) but you can download the SD card data over at Mega. Follow this link on Twitter. Of course because the data is so heavily encrypted, you wouldn't guess from the files alone that it contains Kingdom Hearts data. I hope we'll get more documentation on this find.

Kingdom Hearts: Coded was discontinued for download on Japanese mobile phones on April 30, 2013.

NeoGAF user stranno made the following observation:
I've been messing around with the Gameloft Classics APK for Android and there are some really interesting leftovers, like the emulator compatibility:

support
jsr 030 - cldc 1.0​
jsr 037 - midp 1.0​
jsr 075 - file connection 1.0 (pda)​
jsr 082 - bluetooth​
jsr 118 - midp 2.0​
jsr 120 - wma 1.1​
jsr 135 - mobile media api​
jsr 139 - cldc 1.1​
jsr 184 - m3g​
jsr 205 - wma 2.0​
jsr 234 - amms​
sprint api​
sprint pcs licence mrc​
nokia UI​
samsung api​
vodafone vscl 1.1.0​
vodafone vscl 2.0​
jscl 1.2.2​
doja up to doja 5.1

That could open the door to see the rarest Final Fantasy VII games emulated: Final Fantasy VII: Before Crisis, Dirge of Cerberus: Lost Episode (lol, good name) and Final Fantasy VII Snowboarding. Among tons of ultra-rare Capcom ports for DoJa, like Onimusha.

I don't even know if games can be swapped or if there's any single DoJa dump out there. Unlike regular Java ME games, DoJa games were rented for a limited period of time, every game included in a FOMA phone was just a demo (or at least a trial).

Gameloft could have developed the most advance Java mobile emulator ever just for 30 non-especially-memorable games, lol.

This is quite interesting to hear that the Gameloft Classics APK supports DoJa, the Japanese variant of Java, which is what many if not all Japanese pre-smartphone mobile games ran on. While there exists a limited i-appli emulator that was once distributed by DoCoMo themselves, (I have the files if anyone is interested) perhaps the emulation in the Gameloft Classics APK could end up being of some use if the Japanese FFVII mobile games ever get extracted.

Rydeen

In-KWEH-dible
It almost seems like they actively want to erase these games from existence. Perhaps their goal is to erase them from canon
(the remake changes seem to insist that they want everything to be self consistent now, even if they have to add plot ghosts to do that).
Or perhaps they just don’t want to do anything with it not because they don’t like it but because it is too low quality for the work they’d have to put into it to port. That may be the more likely reason.. it wouldn’t appeal to the general audience they’d need to warrant the labor. I think they want to just ‘rebuild’ (parts of) the game through the remake.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
That's essentially the reason. Aside from the guides they've published and plot line maps they presumably still keep in order to keep consistent with their overall fictional universe, the overall weight of importance the actual games have (Before Crisis, Kingdom Hearts Coded) is low. They're outdated in terms of design and are not able to be easily ported. They're a dead end.

If the writers are going to revisit Before Crisis for example, they're going to do it either as an entirely new game designed from the ground up, or through another game entirely (The FFVII Remake). But Square has very little motivation or desire to revisit outdated and prototypical mobile games from the early 2000s when they have a wide library of mobile games now, that they need to support and actually bring Square a fortune in revenue. The sad reality is that mobile games are the most commercial types of gaming that are usually held in far higher esteem by the fans, rather than the businesses that pay to develop them. Once they're done, they're done.

The closest we have are the W51H phones with the Before Crisis demo locked away inside.

I have a friend who is working on reverse engineering this phone and others like it, although getting hold of phones have been a bit more difficult due to the pandemic.

Will report here when key progress has been made. =)

Kuraudo.

Panta rei
Understood. If it's there a way to support (in getting phones w/full game), please let me know.

So we will be able to re-create the full BC experience, including Chocobo racing, Battle Square etc.

Thanks a lot for the recap!

RaichuBender

Rookie Adventurer
Heya everyone!
I'm new here. How's it goin'!

I'm still very interested in getting Before Crisis back.
Since 2012 or so, I've been looking all around the web for a backup of the game's files, including posts on this site, but alas, still nothing.
Not even a single lead... Really perplexing...
Hence why I ordered a Hitachi W51H phone I found on a Japanese auction site. From the rough Google translation, it appears it has some usage marks, but it comes with the factory ROM image. I don't know if that means that the phone has been wiped (which could be bad), or never used (used in store/kiosk mode or something).
We'll see. I'll keep my hopes low just in case.

If I do succesfully track one down, I might be able to figure out the encryption algorithm, and decrypt the files, so we could analyze the binary format and potentially emulate it on PCs.
I'm learning my way around tools like Ghidra lately, so I'm super excited to get started on a project like this.

I might try to order more Japanese clamshell phones that Before Crisis was compatible with over couple weeks/months. Just for the slim chance that I'll find it lingering on one of them. Also, liquidator's auctions. They might have a lot of new old stock of these sorts of devices. But then it just becomes a huge gamble...

Wish me luck!

RaichuBender

Rookie Adventurer
Honestly it's very strange to me that nobody has contact with someone who still has the game. Maybe asking around on Japanese forums might help?
From what I can gather; the Japanese people are kind of in the same boat. Nobody can really download the game anymore, since everything is linked to a specific hardware architecture/phone ecosystem that's heavily DRM protected (certainly for it's time). And once you accidentally deleted the game, it's GONE, since the servers all pretty much shut down. Somewhere I have a small bit of hope left that a certain app store in Japan is still hosting the game, just like how Apple still had most of it's 32-bit iOS apps available, you just have to use a specific old device with a working account to be able to download it. Although the online stuff doesn't work anymore.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
From what I can gather; the Japanese people are kind of in the same boat. Nobody can really download the game anymore, since everything is linked to a specific hardware architecture/phone ecosystem that's heavily DRM protected (certainly for it's time). And once you accidentally deleted the game, it's GONE, since the servers all pretty much shut down. Somewhere I have a small bit of hope left that a certain app store in Japan is still hosting the game, just like how Apple still had most of it's 32-bit iOS apps available, you just have to use a specific old device with a working account to be able to download it. Although the online stuff doesn't work anymore.
What I meant was, some Japanese ff7 fan out there must still have a phone that contains the entire game, which would be possible to extract the files from. Whether it can be downloaded still or not might be useful, but it's not strictly necessary if you can just find somebody who still has it and is willing to cooperate.

RaichuBender

Rookie Adventurer
Honestly it's very strange to me that nobody has contact with someone who still has the game. Maybe asking around on Japanese forums might help?
What I meant was, some Japanese ff7 fan out there must still have a phone that contains the entire game, which would be possible to extract the files from. Whether it can be downloaded still or not might be useful, but it's not strictly necessary if you can just find somebody who still has it and is willing to cooperate.
Yeah, I have to agree with you on that. Who knows, maybe someone like that will show up, dust of their old phone and find the game still on there.
They're more than welcome to contact me to help them dump the contents

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
I really think the best way to do this would be to hop on a Japanese FF7 board and ask if anyone has it there. It's worth a shot anyway.

Kuraudo.

Panta rei
Hi guys just recently Audrey on Twitter said that she was playing Before Crisis long time ago... She's very active on Twitter and twitch maybe is worth a shot asking info... https://mobile.twitter.com/aitaikimochi

Also she said that she found a full script of the japanese text, here we go her twit on this
Some are also trying to give a bit more life to the old rpg maker version of Before Crisis (english dub and graphic improvement are in discussion atm.)

So I hope really to get some good news, all the best Raichu!

Last edited:
Before addressing the various questions in this thread, I want to tell the story of how me and kraze learned that all three of my W51H phones, sadly, did NOT have the Before Crisis demo on it.

wus14uf.jpg

JnofM2v.png

In order to access the EZ application (EZappli) menu, which includes games, you need a functioning SIM card (in this context called an "auIC" card). I spoke about this back in February 2018 (though I made an error in which menu option was supposed to bring you to the game apps). In April 2019 I ordered two additional W51H phones and five months later in September 2019 they finally arrived. I then kind of forgot about them and never tested out the phones.

While speaking to kraze back in October 2020, they made me realize one of my newer phones actually had a functioning SIM card. I accessed the application menu...and confirmed that Before Crisis was not on there. It's deleted.

Compare the visuals at 0:16 with how the W51H manual (page 243) previews this application menu. The app menu on my phone is remarkably barren.

cnvGYEu.png

Discussions continued with kraze, who is very much a hardware expert familiar with obscure operating systems, and I sent them the two W51H phones in my possession that lacked SIM cards. The goal was to dump all the data, even though it required the destructiveness of picking the phones apart, and kraze accomplished this goal back in November.

The conclusion is that neither of the phones contain the Before Crisis demo. It is however, probably, mentioned by its filename.

kraze said:
I found data in the dump which looks like some kind of table. In this file the paths to preloaded applications are listed. And there is a section in the same place which lists the class ids (class ids are necessary to run the application in the BREW system). This data is present in both dumps. I think that these files are not present in the dump because e.g. the name bcfft_b31.mod is found only once in the dump, and it should be at least three times - in the file table, in the BREW signature file (.sig), and in this list of paths.
- kraze, 2020-11-16

before-crisis_trial.png

The assumption here is that bcfft_b31 might be short for "Before Crisis Final Fantasy Trial" though admittedly this is only a reasonable guess at this point that this string refers to the Before Crisis demo.

- Download link to dump of white W51H phone: Serial SHICK011611

With a basic hex editor you too can look up the reference to bcfft_b31.

The other phone contained personal data from its previous owner and so we will not share that dump. Both are the same in that the Before Crisis demo only appears as a text reference for the phone's table of contents, but without the actual game itself on there.

Some additional data presented by kraze in the context of these two phone dumps:
kraze said:
The [first] dump contains 8 megabytes worth of EZappli
your second device, as it contains, according to the filesystem information menu only 470k of EZappli data.
The class-id to launch [bcfft_b31] is 0x0103f23a.
Some technical info about the phone after kraze dissected it:
The CPU is Qualcomm MSM6550. The memory chip is an MCP (that is there is ROM and RAM stacked in one chip) Samsung KBP00W00DM. I could not find any datasheet on this chip. According to my research this is a 64 Mbyte ROM and unknown number of ram. Supposedly RAM is 32Mbytes, as the contemporary models in the West had this amount or less.

While it is exciting to have found a potential string reference to the Before Crisis Trial, the seeming lack of the actual application on any of my three W51H phones was disheartening. Thus I postponed sharing this story indefinitely, reasoning that I didn't want to update the thread with more dead-ends. But the recent activity in this thread motivated me to face my grief and actually share this story.

The lack of the Trial/Demo on these phones raises the question if there's more going on here than the past users manually clearing the EZappli folders or if perhaps the Before Crisis trial was programmed to self-destruct after a certain period of time. I know of no reference to such a self-deletion mechanic, but if @The Twilight Mexican and @Strangelove could browse the Japanese W51H manual at some point, to look for any details about how the phone treats "Trial" applications, I'd highly appreciate it.
- W51H manual (no English version exists)
The pages that most obviously deal with the Before Crisis demo are pages 245 (number 245 on the pdf, number 243 on the actual image) and 255.

kraze's knowledge is immense and they are always learning new things as they dissect cell phones from all over the world and experiment with BREW-based technology. Their YouTube channel is filled with videos of rare mobile games, some made playable on the Zeebo console. The prime example being how they've made Kingdom Hearts V CAST partially playable on Zeebo (not a complete emulation).

Overall I find it difficult to return to the topic of these mid-2000s mobile games because most of the time it is a lesson in futility. That's why it's good when new blood enter the picture and revitalize the scene. Don't let my grumpiness get to y'all. :mon:

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
I wish that remake had adopted a different art style and gameplay from just attempting to mimic how the mobile version looks. It would be less accurate, but probably more visually appealing. Still, it was a commendable effort on his part to make that.

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
What's everyone's thoughts on the fan-made Before Crisis remake? Are projects like this the way forward?
if they let me change the language to japanese i will play this :sadpanda:

- W51H manual (no English version exists)
The pages that most obviously deal with the Before Crisis demo are pages 245 (number 245 on the pdf, number 243 on the actual image) and 255.
i had a quick look through it, and read the bc demo user agreement but i don't see anything about the demo having a time limit or being deleted

i don't know if it's a dumb idea, but would doing a factory reset restore the preinstalled apps?

Would the whole of the individual chapter files have had to be downloaded to the phones to play them? Even on a temporary basis?
Yep, I believe so. And since SE shut down their mobile service in 2018, I guess the only way to have a chance is asking other people or trying to get a hold of a phone with the game and chapter (cache) still on it... :/
I really think the best way to do this would be to hop on a Japanese FF7 board and ask if anyone has it there. It's worth a shot anyway.
I feel like @Shademp has tried this? Maybe it was for just Dirge multiplayer stuff, though.
Me and Radigar did ask around with some private individuals, both asking those who had the game in the past and requesting people to download it. The closest we got was when sshin downloaded the game in November 2017 (I think it was Radigar who convinced them to do this), but they were not interested in giving up the phone.
sshin said:
Even if you purchase only the main body you can not play.
You need to sign a line with NTT Docomo and pay a line usage fee every month.
Also, you need to subscribe to i-mode service called Final Fantasy Mobile.
This will cost 540yen / month.
However, the service called Final Fantasy Mobile will end on March 31, 2018.
Every attempt to get people to sell their phone were either ignored or shut down. I do not remember if we ever figured out if the Before Crisis application icon still remains on your phone even after a subscription ended. There are of course plenty of people we haven't asked and I personally never contacted this Audrey that Kuraudo. mentioned.

One thing we didn't try was to make a public request on Twitter using hashtags. Japanese people use the hashtag "#BCFF7" with relative frequency. The hashtags "#BCFFVII", "#BeforeCrisis" "#ビフォアクライシス" are less popular but they have happened in the past.

I do not know of any Japanese chat rooms or forums that publically discuss Before Crisis. The last 2ch topic, that I know of, by people who played the game had its last post back in 2012. Twitter really is our best bet, far as I can tell.

There are multiple barriers that we face in writing a public request for photos or even hardware from people who once paid for Before Crisis. Generally speaking, both from my experience and that of others, video game preservation is less popular in Japan and many are afraid of breaking copyright laws and aiding in illegal distribution of media. So even if the person writing a public Twitter request for BC media writes perfect Japanese, they will be largely ignored or possibly even accused of trying to break the law. I still think it's worthy to raise the voice on Twitter but I just want everybody to be aware of the climate.

Before Crisis required an online connection to play and the general consensus is that portions of each episode were downloaded as you played, then kept in the cache until something else replaced it. Thus, the best we can hope to find is a portion of the game on a phone.

When the Shotgun playthrough of Before Crisis was recorded back in 2008 and 2009, the player was essentially playing New Game+ ergo why the player character is so overpowered. Even though the player already had gone through every chapter before, more often than not the game would signal that it was downloading game content between checkpoints of a given chapter.

BCFF7_Ch3_00_load-up_Mission-Data.png
ミッションデータ
"Mission Data"

BCFF7_Ch3_10_load-up_Map-Data.png
マップデータ
"Map Data"

BCFF7_Ch4_21_load-up_Enemy-Character-Data.png
敵キャラクターデータ
"Enemy Character Data"

Grimoire edited out these screens for their subtitled versions of rinrin's original uploads.

Top Bottom