The Lifestream ranks Final Fantasy songs

Monterosa

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Tom
I just want to say that I'm loving this event so far. I'm on TLS every day and, with this post, I've finally reached a milestone of 100 posts made. ^^

Thanks for giving us a day off. I have a lot of catching up to do. I keep thinking I can just listen in the background, but these songs demand my full attention.

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
Sorry for double post, but this needs a bump:

I had a realisation today. One of my last "rounding up to 280" nominations was the Opening Theme from the original Final Fantasy game, because I thought it should be in the mix, but it turns out that Prologue from Final Fantasy IV is exactly the same composition, just from a different game. So, unless anybody objects (it's possible that someone has already looked at 14, thought it was a tough group, considered saving their joker for it but then used it in an earlier group), I'm going to replace it.

There's a couple of songs not in the competition which I keep thinking about, because I reckon they'd do well:

The Man with the Machine Gun (Final Fantasy VIII)
Dark Messenger (Final Fantasy IX)

Update: see below.

I was going to ask you to choose between them, but then I realised that one of my other final nominations was basically a duplicate as well (Zephyr Memories ~ Legend of the Eternal Wind, almost the same as Eternal Wind, even though I prefer the newer version), so fuck it, I'm putting them both in. Again, unless anybody objects?

Last edited:

The G'randiest' Daddy

Teh Bunneh of Doom
AKA
Darth
Yes please! I know I wasn't involved in the original nominations, but this would make me so happy! Especially Dark Messenger, damn but I love that song, I sometimes play a youtube video that has a half hour loop of it while I work out and stuff.

RedFFWolf

Donator
The Man with the Machine Gun and Dark Messenger??
Why, if anybody objects, send them my way and I swear I'll...
politely tell them off, sir :)

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
Yeah good call. I must've thought Man with the Machine Gun was already in or I most def would have nominated it.

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
Update: I boobed. I didn't realise that we already had Dark Messenger, under the title "The Darkness of Eternity". Even though I checked all the names myself, I still forgot that one. :P

So, we have a free slot. Any last-minute nominations, something you've been kicking yourself for not suggesting earlier? Here are some I'd like:

The Day Will Come (V)
Locke's Theme (VI)
Holding My Thoughts in my Heart (VII)
Force Your Way (VIII)
The Spy (VIII)
South Gate (IX)
Conde Petie (IX)

(I'd better stop...)

Monterosa mentioned The Skycity of Bhujerba to me in a recent conversation, and that's a nice tune as well. We've got a couple of days to think about it, so, what do you think? You don't have to pick something I've suggested.

Last edited:

Lex

Administrator
I just want to say that I'm loving this event so far. I'm on TLS every day and, with this post, I've finally reached a milestone of 100 posts made. ^^

Thanks for giving us a day off. I have a lot of catching up to do. I keep thinking I can just listen in the background, but these songs demand my full attention.

You should interact moar. You're related to Flint which means you're automatically awesome, and you can never have enough awesome on TLS <3

Monterosa

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Tom

You should interact moar. You're related to Flint which means you're automatically awesome, and you can never have enough awesome on TLS <3

I'm usually around for the competitions and events. So if you want me to stay, now you know the way to hold me down ;)

Force Your Way, all the way.
I second this, though I would also be happy with Lenna's Theme as Kuroto has suggested or Skycity of Bhujerba as I mentioned. In terms of which song I think is the most important, I would say Force Your Way.

I think we have enough FFVII and FFIX songs, so I would personally rather not have any more from those games.

Last edited:

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
I've thought about the Prelude as well but I don't know how many people would actually vote for it.

The G'randiest' Daddy

Teh Bunneh of Doom
AKA
Darth
Do we have the battle theme from FFIV on the list? I tried checking the names but the only one I could find was "Battle 1", and that isn't on the list. If not, then I nominate it :D

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
I almost suggested that before I decided I had made enough suggestions already. So +1 from me on that.

This is a very informal vote, but it looks like we've got three people in favour of Force Your Way, two for Lenna's Theme, The Skycity of Bhujerba, Prelude and The Oath, and one for everything else that has been brought up. Maybe I'll take whichever song gets to four nominations first.

Last edited:

Flare

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Flare
I vote for Prelude! To me that was the initial broad FF theme I'd heard first, before I happened upon the real FF theme. Anyway, it's a simple repeat melody but has a lovely tune with the ascending and descending notes in quick succession.

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
It's late in the day and I haven't had a chance to put the new polls up yet, so I guess we'll take another day off. Sorry to anyone who had their hopes up, but this way the entire first half will close before we get started on the second, which has a certain neatness to it that I appreciate. :)

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
We've now reached the half-way point of the first round. There's a long way to go yet - I hope you've got the stamina for it - but we already know quite a fair chunk of our top 100:

Main Theme of Final Fantasy VII
Birth of a God
Vamo Alla Flamenco
Cid's Theme
One-Winged Angel
Not Alone
Festival of the Hunt
Jenova Complete
Cosmo Canyon
Battle at the Big Bridge
Something to Protect
Fight On!
Terra
The Castle
Aerith's Theme
Ending Theme
Succession of Witches
The Price of Freedom
Zanarkand
Blinded by Light
Fithos Lusec Wecos Vinosec
Battle 2
The Extreme
Kefka
Dancing Mad
Judgment Day
Words Drowned by Fireworks
The Landing
Maybe I'm a Lion
Fang's Theme
The Veldt
Besaid
Servants of the Mountain
Under the Apple Tree
Yuna's Ballad
Auron's Theme
Setzer's Theme
Silver Dragon
Kiss Me Goodbye

Many more songs still have a chance of qualifying. At the moment, my spreadsheet predicts that 7 votes will be enough to get through, but that number could still rise, as most people haven't used their unlimited-vote "jokers" yet.

We also know that some songs definitely won't qualify. At the moment, anything with three votes or fewer is out. Four to six votes is "unlikely" territory at the moment.

There are still plenty of great songs coming up in the second half - and we've got space for one more nomination (I'll probably pick Prelude if nobody else has an opinion). I hope you've all enjoyed it so far. :)

Kuroto

Pro Adventurer
Now that I listened to Oath I'm really astonished how many good songs were not nominated for this. :O I know that I would have definitely nominated Prelude if I had realised that it wasn't there already. Probably Oath too, had I known the song at the time.

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
Apparently there are more than 280 good songs in the series. :monster:

I think I'll go ahead and put the Prelude into group 13 since it's due to start tomorrow.

Kuroto

Pro Adventurer
I'm sure not all of the people here think that all the songs in the groups are all that good. :P For someone there might be only 20 songs that are good in those groups because that was the amount that one person was allowed to nominate.

I'm not saying there are really bad songs either, but I think that Oath, for example, is better than some songs that are in there. Subjective opinion.

Top Bottom