The Love Triangle Debate: Another Turn in the Cycle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Splintered

unsavory tart
I wouldn't blame Nojima for X-2. He seemed to be against resurrecting Tidus and Toriyama directed the sequel, and even as someone who likes XIII, he's a rather weird director and I have a sinking feeling he likes the anime tropes a lot more than the other creative minds at Square.

Now the sequel novels you CAN blame Nojima but I still believe that it was written as revenge for fucking up X's story. I feel you Nojima, screw the bastards, keep Tidus dead.

Channy

Bad Habit
AKA
Ruby Rose, Lucy
Wait a minnit, what?? Are we talking he audio drama or something else that snuck in there??

Splintered

unsavory tart
My favorite part is that it got such a terrible reaction that they'll never be a sequel. Which means canon end with Sin returning and Tidus dead.

I did find it weird that he effectively torpedoes all romance in Tidus and Yuna though. I guess that's just the kind of relationships he likes to write?

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
i'm disappointed because i thought the title 'eternal cost' sounded cool and it's attached to such a mess of a book :sadpanda:

Channy

Bad Habit
AKA
Ruby Rose, Lucy
I'm lazy and on my phone D: can someone link me to a translated version (if available) so I can check it out tomorrow? Pls??

Splintered

unsavory tart
I couldn't find the actual translation but the wiki has a pretty indepth summary.

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy_X-2.5_~Eien_no_Daishō~

It's so terrible it has become beautiful. I want all of it.
It was all just a dream ok.

Never happened. N-e-v-e-r happened.

CANON FOREVER AND I WILL NEVER LET ANYONE FORGET IT

tumblr_m20youfY0e1r2wrwho9_r1_400.gif

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
Amizon, Commander Shepard, Ellie, Rinoa Heartilly, Xena, Clara Oswald, Gamora, Lana Kane, Tifa Lockhart, Jodie Holmes, Chloe Price.
Cas-shake-head.gif

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V
Nojima was obviously just trolling people after being forced to make FFX-2. That doesn't make that crap any good though :monster:

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Well no wonder. A bomb inside of a blitzball kills Tidus while him and Yuna are frolicking on a beach. It doesn't get any more fucked up than that.

If there's one thing to be glad about, Kitase is at least still around. And he's above Nomura in terms of the remake food chain, so we're cool. He'll reign Nomura in I hope.

The guy you're looking to for maintaining reasonable measure is Kitase? The guy who said a remake would take 40 years and who Nomura had to talk out of including Jenova in the Zack vs. Sephiroth fight from Crisis Core? =P

There's value in that whole "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" philosophy, but you're banking on a positive turn out of a situation that would require more subterfuge, deceptive maneuvering and political intrigue than FFTactics and the "Metal Gear Solid" series combined.

Lex

Administrator
Kitase was the original director and we've had a couple of interviews already where Nomura is all "I WANTED TO CHOP THIS BUT KITASE AND NOJIMA WOULDN'T LET ME KEK".

Idk, Nomura's directing portfolio in the FFVII world is Advent Children. He has a perfect track record of directing things that contain out of place scenes and stories that are almost impossible to follow with unnecessary OTT action scenes. The dude has an undeniably brilliant artistic vision, but I think it was a mistake to promote him beyond character designer if I'm brutally honest. And even those are convoluted as fuck XD.

The whole "jenova joins the fray" thing in CC would have been pretty dumb, but I could see it working in the sense that maybe some of that jenova goo flies out of the container and merges with Sephiroth or something.

Splintered

unsavory tart
Well Nomura did the Kingdom Hearts titles and The World Ends With You which I think are pretty solid, although he was only the creative producer of TWEWY.

Jenova would have been beyond stupid and I would have hated it, but from a designer standpoint I can get why he would want a fight with Jenova, it's another interesting boss fight with good lore behind it. But the story demand it didn't.

For the most part, I loved Crisis Core. But if they put in Genesis at the reactor scene so help me god, I'm going to nerd rage so hard.

hleV

Pro Adventurer
I'm not too into LTD and I CBA to look into this, so I'll just ask.

The purpose of LTD is to figure out which woman Cloud is in love with: Tifa or Aerith.
Which Cloud? The one with mixed up mind and memories while Aerith is still alive or the fixed up one when Aerith is dead?

The question may seem ironic and perhaps it somewhat is, but I would like to know the answer nevertheless.

... So I could laugh at you all for even doing this.

Starling

Pro Adventurer
The way I see it, Cloud didn't fully sort out his feelings for Tifa until the lifestream sequence. From what's shown then, he at least subconsciously remembers that he has feelings for Tifa. The feelings are still there of course, but they don't really take their relationship beyond friendship until later. I figure the Highwind scene can be interpreted as being when it happens, or maybe they talked about it post-game. Before that, Cloud's issues and Tifa's reluctance to confront him about them meant they had to deal with that before they could really deal with how they felt about each-other.

While Cloud obviously cares deeply for Aerith for reasons beyond possible influence from Zack, I always viewed their relationship as platonic, which doesn't make it any less meaningful. Aerith is a lot like Zack, in that they both seem to be the kind of people who can befriend just about anyone willing to reciprocate and brighten things up just by being there. Whether or not Zack being Aerith's boyfriend influenced Cloud's interactions with her is debatable and Cloud obviously doesn't remember Zack so there's only a small chance he was reminded of him on a subconscious level. Either way, Aerith still starts off as a stranger to him when they first meet and gradually get to know each-other over the course of the game prior to her death.

I don't really think Cloud's all that different before and after he sorts through his memories. By that point, he already dropped most of what I associated with his false persona, leaving just the identity issues and Sephiroth's ability to control him.

Wolf_

Pro Adventurer
Unless they continue the compilation and revive her you only really have 2 options. You want cloud to be happy with a woman he had spent half his life trying to impress. Or you want him to sleep in the ruins of a church and cry himself to sleep until he dies to find his best friend banging her in the lifestream. Realistically though you will never get an answer. It's still being talked about nearly 20 years later. Nobody at square is going to pick a side.. I mean, wars are started over less serious shit than that..

GiddyUnicorn

Pro Adventurer
AKA
That One Person You Don't Like Talking To
I heard there's *official* information out there confirming Aerith's status to Cloud in a romantic sense. Can anyone show me the link for it?

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
The only thing I’m aware of that would come close to fitting that description is Case of Lifestream White. You can read a translation here.

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
Sorry, as far as I know the only official source that explicitly acknowledges a romantic connection between Cloud and Aerith is CoLW. Beyond that everything else I'm aware of is subtext.

Lex

Administrator
^And it's never been officially translated into English. Along with the rest of the novellas, unless you count the Episode Denzel OVA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom