The maiden who travel the planet

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
[quote author=Purple link=topic=376.msg11037#msg11037 date=1232881613]
Is this shit still considered canon?
[/quote]

Still? It never was. :monster:

[quote author=spirit chaser link=topic=376.msg11040#msg11040 date=1232882225]I thought Aerith was OOC in CC, but it was CC that made me really appreciate her character. FFVII Aerith was a bit too flirty and pushy kind of girl for my tastes. [/quote]

I didn't really think so. If you remember, CC takes place a few years before FFVII. She was younger and more naive. And in FFVII perhaps she was trying too hard to make Cloud into another Zack. Cloud's dream after the temple paints her in a newer light in the original game, IMHO. Also, if one considers the contents of the Aerith date, it seems much more plausible. I view it as simple character progression.

spirit_chaser

Pro Adventurer
[quote author=Tennyo link=topic=376.msg11303#msg11303 date=1233010173]I didn't really think so. If you remember, CC takes place a few years before FFVII. She was younger and more naive. And in FFVII perhaps she was trying too hard to make Cloud into another Zack. Cloud's dream after the temple paints her in a newer light in the original game, IMHO. Also, if one considers the contents of the Aerith date, it seems much more plausible. I view it as simple character progression.[/quote]

Even considering Zack factor, I think she was a bit too bold with Cloud.
And I certainly don't consider it as a "progression" of her character. Though I think that if you take FFVII alone, this is what makes it interesting, that Tifa and Aerith act so differently towards Cloud.

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
[quote author=spirit chaser link=topic=376.msg11394#msg11394 date=1233034861]Even considering Zack factor, I think she was a bit too bold with Cloud.
[/quote]

I think this was the point. :monster:

An Unknown Man

Lv. 25 Adventurer
The whole thing was proved non canon a long time ago because of it's massive inconsistencies with later compilation titles to the point that virtually none of it makes sense, as well as the fact that the creators no longer acknowledge it as a part of the compilation, or put it in the timeline like the other 2 novellas in their latest UOG.

It's basically just fanfiction written by a guy named benny, so I wouldn't recommend reading it.

Suzaku

Pro Adventurer
Interesting concept (Aerith helps from beyond the grave and meets the dead), but poorly executed and has too many contradictions to be considered an official part of the Compilation.

It predates most of the Compilation titles and wasn't created with any staff supervision, so even if they did have stuff planned out for them, the writer wouldn't know about it. Openly contradicts Crisis Core and, more importantly, pretty much the entire premise of Dirge of Cerberus.

Hasn't been referanced or included in any of the subsequent Ultimania guides (On the Way to a Smile and even Last Order are included).

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
I think it can also be argued that MWTP also contradicts AC. Aerith returns to the planet in the story. Would she be able to come back for AC? It may be a debatable point, but it's still a point. :)

Als52

Rookie Adventurer
I never really cared much for the Maiden, not only due to its lackluster writing but it really doesn't have a good Final Fantasy VII "feel" to it. This is of course, largely due to it being penned by Benny Matsuyama rather than the renowned Kazushige Nojima.

And yes, The Maiden who Travels the Planet is official but non-canon the term for this is Apocrypha, or as it's far better known simply Expanded Universe crap.

A recent Yoshinori Kitase interview relating to Final Fantasy VII authority.

"Even after those 10 years, Mr Nomura and Mr Nojima are still essentially in charge of the world of Final Fantasy VII. "Anything relating to the stories, Mr Nojima, who is no longer with Square Enix is really still the top authority." explains Kitase. "Anything relating to characters specifically, and a little of the backstory around the characters, that would be Mr Nomura, the character designer's domain; any kind of art direction is still Mr Naora, who is the art director. And I'm the etc. guy," he modestly concludes. "Anything not included in those areas is my domain. Those are the major four people still involved in the final Fantasy VII universe. If any one of them died it might disrupt the balance."

It's pretty simple kazushige Nojima is the head writer of Final Fantasy VII universe his works are absolute canon, while minor guys like Benny Matsuyama's stuff are secondary.

minimosey

Pro Adventurer
I didn't particularly like how Aerith seemed to either completely absolve all these people she hardly knew, or the ones she couldn't she was still all "whutever, President Shinra/Hojo, you ain't got nuthin' on me" and acting like some badass. She hardly seemed phased at all by anything. (At least that's the impression I have of it; it's been a while since I read it.)

I get that Aerith is supposed to be strong, but Maiden just seems to overdo it for my liking.

This. We already knew what was going to happen in terms of the Planet--it would have been nice to see some sort of conflict, whether that was a character seriously challenging Aerith's beliefs/course of action or her doubting herself.

Also, I loved Aerith as a character in the original game--Maiden just pissed me off at times. I know she could say stupid things on occasion ("...I think he's mad" after pissing Barret off in the Gold Saucer) but. She tried comforting AVALANCHE by talking about how she had been thoughtlessly selling flowers.

What.

Alessa Gillespie

a letter to my future self
AKA
Sansa Stark, Sweet Bro, Feferi, tentacleTherapist, Nin, Aki, Catwoman, Shinjiro Aragaki, Terezi, Princess Bubblegum
IDK, selling flowers is pretty thoughtless. I mean, it's ALMOST like bombing a reactor, except it brightened lives instead of destroying them. Pretty close, right? (:monster:)

Top Bottom