Time to remove smilies from smilie list?

AvecAloes

Donator
I'm all for resizing some of the images that we do use, but for those images that we don't use very often? I'd rather just get rid of them. There are so many images to scroll through that just don't get used.

Kai Schulen

... ... ...▼
AKA
Trainer Red
Can I suggest we also get rid of smilie gifs that are larger than 1mb or 2mb too?

Not that I have an issue with large file size gifs but everytime I load up that smilie list....the reason why I only use :awesome:, :monster:, :@ and :trainermon: is because they're the only ones I memorized. orz

I mean if one really has to use a huge gif in post, why not just use the img tag instead?

Last edited:

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
Alright, here are options for a new "We're still victorious" image, using those snapshots I took.

Black borders, all same height.
WEQYyuY.png

Middle border decreased in height.
NtEAjsj.png

Middle border decreased in height even more.
X93sky6.png

No black borders at the top and bottom. Pic possibly looks a bit too naked.
CyXZ0FL.png

I don't think the borders really matter. I'm just glad that they are smaller. Either one is fine with me.

guys,

:yopy:

I'll go and clear out some smileys tomorrow if I'm reminded.

yopy_zps40ad6ce4.jpg

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V
I think the resized versions would look better without the levels applied. It seems to have washed out some of the contrast. You can barely tell the sky from Rude's face in the resized version, at least on my monitor.

Thanks for doing those, though.

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
Very nice!

I actually came in here to post a new one that I had made, but yours is better. :P

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
I have suggested that the smiley list be cleaned up a couple of times since I joined, because it takes far too long to load at the moment and is too difficult to use on a small screen (horizontal scrolling ftl). My attempts have always failed, but I'm glad to see yours is getting some traction, Shad :)

+1 for removing unused smileys. To those who want to save X smiley even though they are the only one using it: have you considered bookmarking the picture in your browser and use the IMG tags?

+1 for resizing the huge smileys. I really hope we can get the smiley page down to a size that is viewable on a 1024px by 768px monitor without the need for horizontal scrolling. That's what I have to use at work, unfortunately.

+1 for improving the quality of the FFVII "smileys". Good work on the ones that are done already.

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
I think the difference this time, Flint, is that the people who are responsible for the majority of these smileys no longer post here. Thus, they aren't around to argue to keep them. :monster:

Let's all spam Yop today with the reminder that he should remove images from the list. :monster:

As for those failsafe images, I prefer the smallest one. It doesn't need to be any bigger than that.

Or...

textfail_zps5db18f41.jpg

gRJnj2P.png

Now with transparent edges :D

Alternatively...

rlgrzdb.png

Though if these sizes are too daunting, we could go back to "stretched PSX emulator" size.
RSSHYaB.png

EDIT #2: Sorry for editing posts so much. :P

Last edited:

Kai Schulen

... ... ...▼
AKA
Trainer Red
We ought to make out own smilies using text from FFVII!

Just kidding.

sorta.

(it'd be really cool!)

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
I've just gone through the smiley list and purged a shitton of 'em that didn't seem to be used much or did not meet my standard of awesome, :monster:.

edit: thar. Hope you saved some of the ones I deleted, :monster:

Excellent, Yop! *is proud*
Now to see if we can purge some more, or at least resize them.

:gawesome:
I don't think anyone is using this one. I mean...what's the context? Yay for Metal Gear Solid 4 reference? Either this one should be removed or shrunk to 1/3 of its current size.
As such:
6peQO0P.png

The "Old Guy SEX" one should be resized. Here is a version where the lighting has not changed.
Kw4JqQ9.jpg

You can go ahead and remove the old "failsafe" one.
:failsafe:
Even if people are not satisfied with the new "Fail" window that you just added, we can easily add a new, updated version of a bigger "failsafe" pic (as has been previously demonstrated).

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
yeah, or people just use the tag, :monster:. I've removed the awesome eye system and phailsafe and resized old guy.

:mako:

*continues before losing momentum*

The goal is to reduce the width of the Smilie List window. Less "horizontality" ftw. For that we need a width standard for images. I suggest that an image should, at most, be 400 pixels in width. Give or take. I might change my mind during the process.

The two current width culprits are Ondore's Lies and Cloti-sex.

:ondore:
While not used to the degree as in the past, this one is too lovable in my opinion.
ydKWNkj.jpg

The second width culprit is...
:cloti:
Seeing as this is another coin in the LTD purse, I personally think that this should be removed as well. No LTD mockery, for one side or the other, in the smilie list.

I'm off now until the evening, but in the meantime people are free to give their opinion and order Yop around as to which images should be removed or resized. :awesome:

Flintlock, I think your opinion weighs heavy, due to what you wrote.
I really hope we can get the smiley page down to a size that is viewable on a 1024px by 768px monitor without the need for horizontal scrolling. That's what I have to use at work, unfortunately.
What do you think about the suggested 400-pixel width limit? What do you think about the current width of the smilie window?

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
A maximum width of 400px would probably work. At the moment the page is still too wide to be viewed in a maximised browser window on this 1024px monitor, but that's because there are still a number of images larger than 400px wide. If necessary, I can shrink some of them down myself, but I won't have time for a couple of days.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I still like seeing Cloud in front of the safe in the failsafe one :P Not that we couldn't also have just the message box I guess.

Super Mario

IT'S A ME!
AKA
Jesse McCree. I feel like a New Man
I think all of jackfaces as well as that travesty called fiotis can also be removed. It's a relic that doesnt need to be remembered like most of the jackfaces.

Akai Hana

Unknown Creature
AKA
Akai Hana, Komori Yui
Do we have <3 <3 <3 smilie? We dont have this, do we????? Please put this into the list!!!

(edit)

I sounded really weird in this post. Did not mean to sound like a hoe..

Last edited:

Super Mario

IT'S A ME!
AKA
Jesse McCree. I feel like a New Man
:fiotis:

:hurr:

:sadjack:

:johnorange:

:jackface:

:whoremouth:

:hissyfit:

:derp:

:fatalex:

Remove. Please.

^Agreed.

I still like seeing Cloud in front of the safe in the failsafe one :P Not that we couldn't also have just the message box I guess.
You can call the shot if this one should be added or not. =)
lgcRd5A.png

^although I notice that this one is 415 pixels wide. Slightly too big. :monster:

If you find that the above edit doesn't work, you can go back to page 2 and crop the full snapshot to your liking.

Top Bottom