TLS Awards 2012 Discussion Thread

Alex Strife

Ex-SOLDIER
I do think we should do the awards! I still think it's a fun part of the year. And if someone's up for the task, I definitely think it should be done!

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
We're a Final Fantasy board, and as we know, Final Fantasy games are all about saving the world. Over and over again. So how about "Most likely to save the world" and its counterpoint, "Most likely to take over the world"?

Danseru-kun

Pro Adventurer
How about FF jobs/templates/roles?

Most suited to be princess Sarah/damsel in distress?
Most suited to be the male lead with a sword?
Most suited to be on Cosmos' side?
Chaos side?

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
That Chaos/Cosmos Thing makes me wonder why we haven't done a TLS Dissidia thing.

Mantichorus

"I've seen enough."
AKA
Kris; Mantichorus; Sam Vimes; Neku Sakuraba; Koki Kariya; Hazama; CuChulainn; Yu Narukami; Mewtwo; Rival Silver; Suicune; Kanata; Professor Oak; The Brigadier; VIII; The Engineer

Captain Jack Harkness

not a out-of-bounds guy
AKA
4nn4-chan, Loras Tyrell, Loki
^not fair. best looking no-english/american is better
vMIVTXM2wryxR4LIycvMzX4YrdGTFNSvyMufN9TJJmGE3MPg3T3epxsJADs=

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V
I guess I should probably get on getting nominations started. Sorry I forgot about this; I've been pretty distracted by the election. Do you guys want me to just use the categories with the most thanks or should I use some other method of determining them? Or should we vote on them?

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
I personally trust your judgment on this. Seems too slow to have people vote for categories, then nominate within those categories, then vote again. We will quickly lose interest with three rounds of the process.

Fangu

Great Old One
I find it strange that we call the awards TLS Awards and not TLS Forums Awards, because all of the categories are based on forum activity. (Don't get me wrong, I can understand and see why it has been done this way.) In the light of TLS wanting to be the best VII content site out there, it would be nice to have some awards that appreciate the work being done on the world of VII.

So if I was to suggest awards, I'd suggest to add categories like best article, best news scoop, best FF related project or similar. If not this year, then maybe it's something to think about for next year?

Or maybe that'll make the whole thing too serious... I dunno. I have very mixed feelings about awards.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
I wouldn't mind if some additional attention was given to the front page when it comes to the community as a whole.

Actually, I was against adding forums to the site for that reason, initially :monster:. No regrets at the moment though, but yeah.

Danseru-kun

Pro Adventurer
I forgot to suggest before, but he should have had a TLS elections of a Romney-Obama proportions just for the lulz. In my other forum a ninja, a pirate and a robot fought for the position. The debate on which will save the world(their universe) is hilarious. It wasn't clear who won, I think it was the robot.

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
I know we're not voting for the categories, but I'd go for something like this:

1. Member of the year
    This replaces "best male member" and "best female member". As I wrote on the first page, I don't see why we need separate categories for this.
  2. Top contributor
    This is for people who work on the front page, who didn't previously have their own award.
  3. Top staffer
    This is for forum staff.
  4. Top poster
    Previously "best quality poster".
  5. Top newcomer
    Previously "best n00b".
  6. Hottest male
    Unchanged. Or should we call it hottest male member? ;)
  7. Hottest female
    Unchanged.
  8. Biggest Final Fantasy anorak/wonk
    This introduces a bit of good-natured fun to the "most knowledgeable about FF" award. I'm not sure if the word anorak is used much outside of the UK, so I propose wonk as an alternative.
  9. Member you'd most like to meet in real life
    Unchanged.
  10. Wish you were here award
    Previously "most missed". I think it's a good idea to give some awards less generic names.
  11. Best graphics
    Combination of the "best avatar" and "best signature" awards. I prefer this name because it would encourage people to take in all the avatars/signatures that people use, rather than just the ones they have at the time of the awards.
  12. Most entertaining
    Previously "funniest".
  13. Most talented (art, writing, music etc)
    New category. TLS has some incredibly talented members and I'm surprised there hasn't been an award for them before.
  14. Most likely to get banned
    Unchanged.
  15. Most likely username dupe
    New category. Just a bit of fun.
  16. Most likely to take over the world
    I know I suggested two like this earlier, but I'm prioritising. This would be the more entertaining of the pair, I think. It would be good to have at least a couple of categories that connect to Final Fantasy.
  17. Most improved
    Unchanged.
  18. Most predictable
    Unchanged.
  19. Needs to spend less time on TLS award
    Again, just gently poking fun at someone. I would like a couple of categories that do that.
  20. Least likely to win any other award award
    Unchanged, though I changed the name slightly for lulz.

You'll notice there are only 20 categories. I think 25 is a few too many, especially considering quite a few people question the merit of having the awards at all. Let's not make turn it into a chore or make it drag on for too long :)

Last edited:

Kermitu Kleric Katie

KULT OF KERMITU
I know we're not voting for the categories, but I'd go for something like this:

1. Member of the year
    This replaces "best male member" and "best female member". As I wrote on the first page, I don't see why we need separate categories for this.
  2. Top contributor
    This is for people who work on the front page, who didn't previously have their own award.
  3. Top staffer
    This is for forum staff.
  4. Top poster
    Previously "best quality poster".
  5. Top newcomer
    Previously "best n00b".
  6. Hottest male
    Unchanged. Or should we call it hottest male member? ;)
  7. Hottest female
    Unchanged.
  8. Biggest Final Fantasy anorak/wonk
    This introduces a bit of good-natured fun to the "most knowledgeable about FF" award. I'm not sure if the word anorak is used much outside of the UK, so I propose wonk as an alternative.
  9. Member you'd most like to meet in real life
    Unchanged.
  10. Wish you were here award
    Previously "most missed". I think it's a good idea to give some awards less generic names.
  11. Best graphics
    Combination of the "best avatar" and "best signature" awards. I prefer this name because it would encourage people to take in all the avatars/signatures that people use, rather than just the ones they have at the time of the awards.
  12. Most entertaining
    Previously "funniest".
  13. Most talented (art, writing, music etc)
    New category. TLS has some incredibly talented members and I'm surprised there hasn't been an award for them before.
  14. Most likely to get banned
    Unchanged.
  15. Most likely username dupe
    New category. Just a bit of fun.
  16. Most likely to take over the world
    I know I suggested two like this earlier, but I'm prioritising. This would be the more entertaining of the pair, I think. It would be good to have at least a couple of categories that connect to Final Fantasy.
  17. Most improved
    Unchanged.
  18. Most predictable
    Unchanged.
  19. Needs to spend less time on TLS award
    Again, just gently poking fun at someone. I would like a couple of categories that do that.
  20. Least likely to win any other award award
    Unchanged, though I changed the name slightly for lulz.

You'll notice there are only 20 categories. I think 25 is a few too many, especially considering quite a few people question the merit of having the awards at all. Let's not make turn it into a chore or make it drag on for too long :)
Why no best n00b anymore? I was certain I could win that award.

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
^ I second this suggestion.
Awesome suggestions there, Flint.
Thanks. I was expecting everyone to be up in arms about the lack of boobies and pen0rz. I guess that'll come when Yop sees my suggestions :monster:

Why no best n00b anymore? I was certain I could win that award.
And why can't you win "top newcomer"? It's the same award with a nicer, ever so slightly FFVII-connected name :)

Kermitu Kleric Katie

KULT OF KERMITU
Thanks. I was expecting everyone to be up in arms about the lack of boobies and pen0rz. I guess that'll come when Yop sees my suggestions :monster:

And why can't you win "top newcomer"? It's the same award with a nicer, ever so slightly FFVII-connected name :)

Ah, sorry I didn't notice that. I was looking for a "best newcomer" award, but since you made it top newcomer I didn't notice it so I was confuddled. i was thinking it'd start with the word best.

Top Bottom