Tomb Raider 2012

Lex

Administrator
Will probably finish this tonight or tomorrow, thoughts so far (I just got to Shantytown):

The gameplay is neat. It's definitely learned from Uncharted, there's no doubt about it - and that's welcome IMO.

I really really like the score. The main menu music is totally epic. The story is good and serves it's purpose, I like Lara (which is the most important thing I suppose) and I like some of the other characters. In comparison to previous Tomb Raider games, it's a definite winner.

Having said all that, there's something about it that's just not grabbing me the way I expected it to, but I've got a bit to go yet before I form a final opinion on it so I expect I'll have a rant then :monster:

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
Amizon, Commander Shepard, Ellie, Rinoa Heartilly, Xena, Clara Oswald, Gamora, Lana Kane, Tifa Lockhart, Jodie Holmes, Chloe Price.
So I finished the game, I enjoyed it. Here are my pros and cons:

Pros

- A much needed reboot for Lara's character

- I was iffy about Camilla Luddington voice acting at first but she won me over after Lara started becoming more badass.

- I really liked the exploration aspects of the game as oppose to the more linear gameplays of Uncharted.

- All the lesbo feels between Lara and Sam. :monster:
Camilla did an amazing job, so I tip my hat off to her. I'd only seen her in the William and Kate film before, and that made me a bit iffy at first before hearing her in action. She also did the face capture motion for Lara, too.

Those lesbo feels are so there. Welcome to the club. :monster:

Cons

- The storyline was all over the place, it never hit any sort of flow and it wasn't good.

- Most of the characters were completely forgettable especially the Endurance crew,
which put their deaths into we hardly knew ye territory and no real effect.

- Most of the voice acting was either ok or bad, the Japanese accents were terrible.

-
How in the hell did none of the girls die in the game? All but one dude died but not a single girl, srsly? If it were me I would've killed Sam, now her death would've had a real effect on the story.

- The game may have the exploration elements that Uncharted lacks but other than that the Uncharted games are much, much better. Is not even close.

The series has promise but there's a lot of things that need to be fixed and improved.
Having played it and analysed it again, survival is really the storyline. It's the beginning of Lara's journey into the bad ass heroine we know her to be from the original games.

Totally agree about the characters. There seemed to be very little development. I only really cared about Roth and Sam. The rest of them were very forgettable.

I was too in love with Lara's (and Sam's) VAs to even bother about the others. ;)

It's strange none of them died, but I do agree that Sam's death would've had a major impact on the game. I was almost certain she was going to die in the game's final moments. Though saying that, there were only three girls, including Lara herself. Being outweighed by the guys, I can see why none of them died in a sense.

There was little tomb raiding in respect to exploring, but as I said before, survival is the essence here. I'm sure there's going to be more of it now that adventure's out of the way.
Remember, she's "not going home yet". ;)

Will probably finish this tonight or tomorrow, thoughts so far (I just got to Shantytown):

The gameplay is neat. It's definitely learned from Uncharted, there's no doubt about it - and that's welcome IMO.

I really really like the score. The main menu music is totally epic. The story is good and serves it's purpose, I like Lara (which is the most important thing I suppose) and I like some of the other characters. In comparison to previous Tomb Raider games, it's a definite winner.

Having said all that, there's something about it that's just not grabbing me the way I expected it to, but I've got a bit to go yet before I form a final opinion on it so I expect I'll have a rant then :monster:
I quite liked the gameplay, too. The QTEs fuck you over at first, but you learn and adapt to them, although they lessen the more you play. That's my only criticism gameplay-wise.

The soundtrack is definitely beautiful. It definitely reflects upon the situations Lara gets herself into, I have it on my iPod. <3

You're on Shantytown now, right? Well, you'll keep going and find somethingwill grab your attention soon. I felt that way a few times, but I suppose finding out what happens towards the end kept me going.

Hisako

&#28040;&#12360;&#12394;&#12356;&#12402;&#12373;&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
something

UNDEAD SAMURAI WARRIORS PROTECTING THE SPIRIT OF THEIR QUEEN TRAPPED IN A CORPSE FOR A THOUSAND YEARS

yeah it's quite something :awesomonster:

I think the thing that grabs me the most in comparison to Uncharted is that to me this new Lara Croft is an infinitely more interesting lead character than the snarky brick-head that is Nathan Drake. I get the homages to the ol' swashbuckling globetrotting adventures we saw on film and television (Indiana Jones, doy) but throughout a single game I think Lara Croft shows more character development and depth than Drake does in any of his games. As a male caucasian lead character he isn't the worst or the most dudebro of dudebros in gaming, but it doesn't break ground like this game does. :monster:

Carlie

CltrAltDelicious
AKA
Chloe Frazer
As someone who's been a fan of Lara since '98 and very much welcomed and liked this new Lara I'm gonna have to disagree, as interesting as this new Lara is she's not nearly a good and interesting character than Nate is yet.

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
Amizon, Commander Shepard, Ellie, Rinoa Heartilly, Xena, Clara Oswald, Gamora, Lana Kane, Tifa Lockhart, Jodie Holmes, Chloe Price.
As someone who's been a fan of Lara since '98 and very much welcomed and liked this new Lara I'm gonna have to disagree, as interesting as this new Lara is she's not nearly a good and interesting character than Nate is yet.
Then again, this is the Lara BEFORE the main series. I do like Lara now and I agree that she could be a bit more interesting, but there wasn't very much to go off in the game. I'm hoping that we see Lara partially (or fully) go solo in the next game to see her develop.

I can't say much about Nate, as I've only seen him in the first game so far. I need to play the other two.

Carlie

CltrAltDelicious
AKA
Chloe Frazer
How is it that you've manged to avoid playing Uncharted 2 and 3 while being friends with Marcus? He must not be very good a persuasion. :monster:

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
How is it that you've manged to avoid playing Uncharted 2 and 3 while being friends with Marcus? He must not be very good a persuasion. :monster:
We do fangasm over Assassin's Creed and other games together, too. But it's an amazing point you raise, I don't think he's bothered about getting me to play them haha. :P

Carlie

CltrAltDelicious
AKA
Chloe Frazer
It's quite amazing that he hasn't considering how much he loves the games but I guess that means the task falls to me then. :monster:

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
Not doing a good job so far, eh? I need to get back to TR, though. There's a few trophies that need sweeping up, but I just cba lately.

Carlie

CltrAltDelicious
AKA
Chloe Frazer
I'm sorry who got you addicted to co op again? :monster:

I need to go back to TR too, I'm missing some treasures and diaries. Cba to do it now with FFIX and Bioshock Infinite.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
itcbPs9fOyiad.gif

Hisako

AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon

Them TressFX don't look so dumb no more

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
Maybe I haven't played enough PS3 games, but that doesn't look so different from the original to me. I wonder if it would have been worth waiting a year or two before re-releasing it to give the developers time to learn how to extract more from the next generation of consoles. Mind you, the next gen really needs more games now, so I guess it's no bad thing that it's coming out soon.

Hisako

AKA
It basically just looks like an updated high-poly Lara model, and HD textures everywhere else rendered in 1080p.

I'm not expecting very much from a graphics engine cannibalised from 2008. :monster:

Lulcielid

Eyes of the Lord
AKA
Lulcy
TOMB RAIDER: Definitve Survivor Trillogy out now on PS/XBOX

Contains the Definitive Edtion and DLCs of all three reboot Tomb Raider games.

To celebrate the launch, this bundle is 60% off ($19.99 from its $49.99) and the offert will last until April 2, 2021.

Last edited:

ultima espio

Pro Adventurer
Bit of a bump, but the next game in the series will unify the timeline, to bring new Lara inline with Classic and Legend Laras.
https://www.nme.com/news/gaming-new...romises-to-unite-the-series-timelines-2868195
https://www.vg247.com/tomb-raider-unify-timelines

Our origin trilogy told the story of Lara's early days where she was forged into a survivor, became a hero, and ultimately, a tomb raider - while the classic games contained a seasoned and competent adventurer. We envision a future of Tomb Raider unfolding after these established adventures, telling stories that build upon both Core Design's games and Crystal Dynamics', working to unify these timelines," said Kerslake.

The original ending for Shadow showed the letter that Natla sent Lara to meet her in Calcutta.

They are also looking into bringing the exclusive 360 DLC for Underworld to PC nearly 12 years later too. They said they've got all the legal problems resolved...just a case of them porting it now.

ultima espio

Pro Adventurer
I thought it was such a shame they didn't carry on with Legend. The Doppelganger would have been interesting to see again.

I get the idea that they wanted to do an origin story, but I really didn't like that everything changed. I'm interested if they manage to bring her closer to who she was now. I still have to finish Rise and Shadow first though...

Rankles

Pro Adventurer
I thought it was such a shame they didn't carry on with Legend. The Doppelganger would have been interesting to see again.

I get the idea that they wanted to do an origin story, but I really didn't like that everything changed. I'm interested if they manage to bring her closer to who she was now. I still have to finish Rise and Shadow first though...

I ended up giving up on Rise, mainly because I suck at stealth these days, and didn’t play the third one. The first one was superb though, was a shame the film didn’t follow it more closely.

Lulcielid

Eyes of the Lord
AKA
Lulcy
Last edited:
Top Bottom