Tomb Raider 2012

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
Amizon, Commander Shepard, Ellie, Rinoa Heartilly, Xena, Clara Oswald, Gamora, Lana Kane, Tifa Lockhart, Jodie Holmes, Chloe Price.
If you're used to Uncharted, then the controls are pretty much the same. However, it's a much darker story and you'll soon come to understand how Lara came to be so amazing later in her adventuring days.

I also felt the same about the characters. The only characters I seem to care about are Sam and Roth.
Fuck you for dying, Roth. Fuck you, you Northern bastard.
I keep getting the feeling Lara and Sam are a couple. Is that just me, or what?

Zee

wangxian married
AKA
Zee
I keep getting the feeling Lara and Sam are a couple. Is that just me, or what?

that's the impression pretty much everyone has, and it's an accurate one imo :monster:

the lead writer even said she left lara's sexuality ambiguous this time around

Zee

wangxian married
AKA
Zee
the evidence speaks for itself :awesome:

tumblr_mjg7vy3ulX1qdd3gno1_250.gif

tumblr_mjc5eoP6pY1qc2jbwo4_250.gif

tumblr_mjc5eoP6pY1qc2jbwo6_250.gif

tumblr_mjc5eoP6pY1qc2jbwo3_250.gif

tumblr_mjc5eoP6pY1qc2jbwo1_250.gif

Fighter

Pro Adventurer
lol. The shipping conventions of the interwebs...

No, there was some journal entry about them parting with guys or something I can't remember exactly. Unless they are into that... together. :D

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
I got caught onto an Escapist op ed that goes over some of the damsel-in-distress aspects of Sam.

I mean as much as I love the game and most of the characters, I didn't actually consider how much of a damsel in distress Sam was until the end scene where Lara was carrying her down the mountain like a big damn hero :monster: Sam just seems to be an unfortunate plot device who isn't sufficiently rounded-out to be a very interesting character.

She's not as terrible as the article makes her out to be but there are lots of collectibles in the game that I wish weren't so optional or could have been explored in the main plot in more detail so people could get a better bearing on the supporting cast.

Fighter

Pro Adventurer
Game does have a problem with supporting characters. But that's ok because they are kind of a background for Lara's journey.

Interesting read. But it pretty much says it's all in the fans' imagination. And outside of her private thoughts only boyfriends were apparently on the table. Who knows though, maybe she'll decide to talk the developer into it in the future.

Zee

wangxian married
AKA
Zee
nd outside of her private thoughts only boyfriends were apparently on the table.

well, no, the point was that she specifically didn't want lara's story to rely on boyfriends??? that she didn't want any part of that. sexuality as a whole wasn't really touched on, it was more about the relationships themselves. the strongest one just happened to be with another woman.

a lot of what she's saying sounds like although she didn't actively intend to it, she's pretty excited that there's a fandom for lara/sam, so here's to hoping they won't shove it aside in the next installment

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
Amizon, Commander Shepard, Ellie, Rinoa Heartilly, Xena, Clara Oswald, Gamora, Lana Kane, Tifa Lockhart, Jodie Holmes, Chloe Price.
Oh dear lord, what have I started now? :monster:

Having played the game through now, I can see why they left her sexuality ambiguous. I personally think she's bi.
If you collected everything, you'll see the relationship between Lara and Roth is more of a father-daughter one. If anything, he hooked up with Reyes numerous times.

I just need to sweep a few trophies and then I can move onto the multiplayer. But the game overall has been brilliant.
Those final moments when you finally reach Sam were so intense. I was glad to be rid of Mathias. :awesome:

Fighter

Pro Adventurer
If you collected everything, you'll see the relationship between Lara and Roth is more of a father-daughter one. If anything, he hooked up with Reyes numerous times.

I hope you didn't get that suggestion from my comment. Of course it's a father figure/mentor relationship.

That's the problem with fandoms. They see any close relationship (and god forbid it involves a hand touch) and they go... hmmm... ^_^ lurve...:excited:

Game doesn't have any romance except:
Alex's crush. Roth & Reyes.

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
I hope you didn't get that suggestion from my comment. Of course it's a father figure/mentor relationship.

That's the problem with fandoms. They see any close relationship (and god forbid it involves a hand touch) and they go... hmmm... ^_^ lurve...:excited:

Game doesn't have any romance except:
Alex's crush. Roth & Reyes.
Oh, absolutely not.
Even before I collected the documents, I could see it right there with the father-daughter thing.

I'd say the same about Lara and Sam, but the lengths she goes for her have to suggest something otherwise. The whole thing that kicked it off in my mind was the promise. I just get the feeling that perhaps Lara may be bi (or even straight), but something might've happened between them.

I do hope that
we at least have a nod to the Endurance crew in the next game, including the dead ones.

Fighter

Pro Adventurer
I'd say the same about Lara and Sam, but the lengths she goes for her have to suggest something otherwise. The whole thing that kicked it off in my mind was the promise. I just get the feeling that perhaps Lara may be bi (or even straight), but something might've happened between them.

It doesn't have to suggest something otherwise. In fact I find it quiet boring if it did. Heroism and empathy does not need the justification of sexual attraction. Which is why even according to the author it was written as a friendship, it is the fans that decide it needs that soap opera element... and because they like the idea of lesbians I suppose.

There is a lot more that's going on with Lara's character for which the story should get its credit.
She feels responsible. People keep dying for her and she can't save them. Hence after Alex she says that steely line about "losing no one else". Sam isn't just her friend, she's her final chance to save someone and it marks her final transformation into someone who can beat all these things and not suffer only loss after loss. It's a resolve not just for Sam but for Lara herself. Not to mention she has no choice anyway, destroying Himiko is the only way to save everyone.

Carlie

CltrAltDelicious
AKA
Chloe Frazer
First thoughts on the game: I FUCKING HATE THE QTEs, I've lost count of how many I've died already because of the QTEs. Most of the ensemble characters have been completely forgettable as well as the story, granted I'm not far into the game yet. I do like Lara, when I first saw the trailer for the game I thought I wasn't going to like her but I do. Totally feeling the romantic vibes between Lara and Sam as well.
Regarding Roth and Reyes: I believe I read on tvtropes that he was the father of her kid.
I give the game a B so far.

Marcus

Consumed By Darkness
the QTEs die off eventually so don't worry about that, just kick back and enjoy the game :monster:

Fighter

Pro Adventurer
I don't particularly like qtes. Except one or two that have good scenes. But all added together they make like 5 minutes of total gameplay. Non issue imo.

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
There is a lot more that's going on with Lara's character for which the story should get its credit.
She feels responsible. People keep dying for her and she can't save them. Hence after Alex she says that steely line about "losing no one else". Sam isn't just her friend, she's her final chance to save someone and it marks her final transformation into someone who can beat all these things and not suffer only loss after loss. It's a resolve not just for Sam but for Lara herself. Not to mention she has no choice anyway, destroying Himiko is the only way to save everyone.
This.

It's the reason I fell in love with the story.
At first, she's just this Uni graduate on an expedition with her friends and then by near the end of it, she's a survivor. Her almost emotionless response to Reyes was just brilliant.

Speaking of which, what do you think the next game will be like? Will we see the Endurance
(of those who survived)
crew members again, or is Lara going solo?

I can't decide in my mind.

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
First thoughts on the game: I FUCKING HATE THE QTEs, I've lost count of how many I've died already because of the QTEs. Most of the ensemble characters have been completely forgettable as well as the story, granted I'm not far into the game yet. I do like Lara, when I first saw the trailer for the game I thought I wasn't going to like her but I do. Totally feeling the romantic vibes between Lara and Sam as well.
Regarding Roth and Reyes: I believe I read on tvtropes that he was the father of her kid.
I give the game a B so far.

Yeah he is. It's in one of the collectibles later in the game that spell it right out for you since it's a book located pretty much in the way that you'd have to purposefully ignore not to see.

Also, you'll hate the final fight in the game. :awesomonster:

Lex

Administrator
Looking forward to playing this when it arrives at some point between Monday and Wednesday :monster:

Carlie

CltrAltDelicious
AKA
Chloe Frazer
Yeah he is. It's in one of the collectibles later in the game that spell it right out for you since it's a book located pretty much in the way that you'd have to purposefully ignore not to see.

Also, you'll hate the final fight in the game. :awesomonster:

Saw it on Youtube already. Except my angry rant about it in a few days. :monster:

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
You'll have to let us know when you've finally finished. I got three quarters way through the game and decided to go back to each camp for the collectibles. Totally worth the trouble! I only have a few trophies to sweep up. I just need the motivation to get back on it after that overwhelming ending.

Carlie

CltrAltDelicious
AKA
Chloe Frazer
So I finished the game, I enjoyed it. Here are my pros and cons:

Pros

- A much needed reboot for Lara's character

- I was iffy about Camilla Luddington voice acting at first but she won me over after Lara started becoming more badass.

- I really liked the exploration aspects of the game as oppose to the more linear gameplays of Uncharted.

- All the lesbo feels between Lara and Sam. :monster:

Cons

- The storyline was all over the place, it never hit any sort of flow and it wasn't good.

- Most of the characters were completely forgettable especially the Endurance crew,
which put their deaths into we hardly knew ye territory and no real effect.

- Most of the voice acting was either ok or bad, the Japanese accents were terrible.

-
How in the hell did none of the girls die in the game? All but one dude died but not a single girl, srsly? If it were me I would've killed Sam, now her death would've had a real effect on the story.

- The game may have the exploration elements that Uncharted lacks but other than that the Uncharted games are much, much better. Is not even close.

The series has promise but there's a lot of things that need to be fixed and improved.

Top Bottom