V-Jump Scan (New FFXIII character and new FF7AC screenshot)

Nocturne

Watching Thee From The Moon
AKA
Just Nocturne will do
Im actually just more disappointed about the NAMES of the characters this time. Snow and Lightning? I dont know if I can take a character seriously with a name like Snow. If there were code names, ok, but their ACTUAL ones.

But it's actually not very different from Cloud. :monster: Who actually chooses these names? They're in love with elemental symbolism.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
I don't care about the names. It's the characters actual characterization that makes the name, not the other way around. I'm not gonna hate a character cause I think they have a funny name.

spirit_chaser

Pro Adventurer
I only hope that there would be more black/oriental looking people in XIII. Because it's
a. refreshing;
b. logical (Barret being the only black man in the whole FFVII is something that always kinda bothered me, where were the others? ??? )

edit; well, except this WRO soldier:
http://i43.tinypic.com/6zvaio.jpg

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
Alex, Ashes, Pennywise, Bill Weasley, Jack's Smirking Revenge, Sterling Archer
b. logical (Barret being the only black man in the whole FFVII is something that always kinda bothered me, where were the others? ??? )
There was Reddas too.

I only know this because Dacon told me the other night. Still main black characters in a series spanning 13 games. Good one SE, good one :'(

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
Alex, Ashes, Pennywise, Bill Weasley, Jack's Smirking Revenge, Sterling Archer
Yeah he was. He was a scary looking black man with a cheeky grin, a grey beard and pink pants. Nuff said really.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
People seem to forget Kiros from FFVIII.

And Barret wasn't the only black person in FFVII. I remember some brown skinned NPCs. Plus, there more in other FFVII titles too.

There have been important black characters in Final Fantasy but Barret, Kiros, and now this guy seem to be the only black main characters.

Nocturne

AKA
Just Nocturne will do
yeah, people just tend not to notice the black characters in those games. Not really sure why they dont.

spirit_chaser

Pro Adventurer
I'm happy to notice, if they were actually noticeable.

Barret by far is the most noticeable black character in FF (imho).

My point being, there should be more diversity when it comes to main characters. Esp FF ones. They all look the same. And in that sense FFXIII is a big disappointment.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Leon S. Kennedy,Terry Bogard, The Dark Knight, Dacon, John Marston, Teal'c
Eh, FF needs new blood, or at least for the current creators to get some inspiration.

An artist doesn't have to resort to the same designs over and over, with little change.

Nocturne

AKA
Just Nocturne will do
I dont get where people are saying the FFXIII characters all look the same. Vanille doesnt look like anyone in the series so far, and Snow really doesnt either.

The thing is, yes, you will know Nomura did the designs, but thats with any artist. They tend to have a signature style that you can tell apart from other artists. As time goes on and there becomes new artists, you will see different designs and get the same thing with a new artist.

Personally, so far I think he's doing a good job juggling so many games and making some interesting characters.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
[quote author=Nocturne link=topic=333.msg9030#msg9030 date=1232170648]

The thing is, yes, you will know Nomura did the designs, but thats with any artist. They tend to have a signature style that you can tell apart from other artists. As time goes on and there becomes new artists, you will see different designs and get the same thing with a new artist.
[/quote]

No, that's with some artists, there's quite a few who can differentiate designs without them all being derivative of others. Too bad most of them aren't commercial artists.

I see quite a few similarities between Snow and a few other characters, same with the generic bubbly girl Vanille(awful name). But I don't think it really matters at this point.

Nocturne

AKA
Just Nocturne will do
And Nomura has never done that? I think saying he has never made a character that was like his other designs is stretching it really far and is completely untrue.

Generic bubbly girl? First off, thats not a character design, thats a TYPE of character personality. In most forms of entertainment like movies or videogames, there is someone like that.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
[quote author=Nocturne link=topic=333.msg9036#msg9036 date=1232173111]
And Nomura has never done that? I think saying he has never made a character that was like his other designs is stretching it really far and is completely untrue.[/quote]

Who said that? And I think you mean "wasn't like", the problem is it's so uncommon now.
Generic bubbly girl? First off, thats not a character design, thats a TYPE of character personality.

Who said it was a character design? Sure, of course it's a character archetype. I said there's similarities in her design to past characters.

In most forms of entertainment like movies or videogames, there is someone like that.

A lot, but not all. But it's incredible how common it is in Japanese media.

Nocturne

AKA
Just Nocturne will do
Who said that? And I think you mean "wasn't like", the problem is it's so uncommon now.

yeah, I meant wasn't. I just got done reading 30 pages in biochem, sue me =p. But still, I think he has been showing enough variation. Expecting every single character an artist makes to look completely different is asking alot. That doesnt mean that he's a horrible artist.

Who said it was a character design? Sure, of course it's a character archetype. I said there's similarities in her design to past characters.

Yeah, but that doesnt necessarily mean it's his decision. Someone could have told him, we want a character that embodies this personality, or someone suggested it.

A lot, but not all.

Yes, alot. Especially in this genre and especially from the japanese. What are you expecting? Sure it's nice to have something different, and so far, there have been different spins on those character types in every FF.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
yeah, I meant wasn't. I just got done reading 30 pages in biochem, sue me =p. But still, I think he has been showing enough variation. Expecting every single character an artist makes to look completely different is asking alot. That doesnt mean that he's a horrible artist.

I don't think it's asking a lot at all. The problem is, no one's asking for such a thing. Easier to stick with what works. You can see that a lot in japanese media. I don't see a lot of folk trying to do something different versus what's worked in the past.

But if rumblings about Hideo Kojima's next project are true, that's prob gonna change soon enough.

Yeah, but that doesnt necessarily mean it's his decision. Someone could have told him, we want a character that embodies this personality, or someone suggested it.

After hearing about him being asked to make Lightning a "female Cloud", I find it highly likely he was asked to make the characters as they are.

Yes, alot. Especially in this genre and especially from the japanese. What are you expecting? Sure it's nice to have something different, and so far,

Honestly? Not expecting much at all these days, just hoping for more.

there have been different spins on those character types in every FF.

They've been different in a few ways, but not significant enough to really make an impression on me. That may be because a lot of those character get nowhere near as much development as some. IMO of course.

Nocturne

AKA
Just Nocturne will do
I can respect your opinion on it. I dont agree with it, but I can understand where you are coming from.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
[quote author=Nocturne link=topic=333.msg9054#msg9054 date=1232174580]
I can respect your opinion on it. I dont agree with it, but I can understand where you are coming from.
[/quote]

Same to you bub.

That's what makes us adults(sorta :monster:)

Masamune

Fiat Lux
AKA
Masa
For me, there's no definition to these characters. In games like VII, X, and XII the characters resonated with their surroundings. For example, FFVII had crude, manga-like designs to suit the cyberpunk scenario.

In FFXIII, they look like generic anime characters derived from previous FF games.

I look at Vanille and I can clearly see FFX-2 Yuna. Snowe instantly evokes images of Seifer with his white trenchcoat, blonde hair - and even the KH Seifer wore a beanie! Add to that the main heroine uses a gunblade, I think the game looks lazy and uninspired. Final Fantasy should be about bringing all kinds of worlds and characters to life. Not changing the story a little and throwing the same dated ideas into it.

Top Bottom