• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Voice Actors

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I've never been able to figure out what people had against Newbern Sephiroth. Although I don't have problems with them, I could at least see people's complaints about Burton and Cook. But I thought Newbern has been a pretty excellent Sephiroth.

Channy

Bad Habit
AKA
Ruby Rose, Lucy
I also wouldn't mind Lance Bass reprising his role from the first KH just because the thought of one of the dudes from NSYNC playing Sephiroth is endlessly amusing to me.

The funny thing being, Lance wasn't even a bad Sephiroth. :wacky: It was pretty good.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
FWIW, I've never heard the English VA's and by now I don't care at all about them, :monster: Ergo: language choice if they're doing voices, plx.

Pixel

The Pixie King
I've never been able to figure out what people had against Newbern Sephiroth. Although I don't have problems with them, I could at least see people's complaints about Burton and Cook. But I thought Newbern has been a pretty excellent Sephiroth.

I think its just the lines in AC were shit. I remeber reading that he disliked the character based on the lines he had in AC.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Really? I have often been surprised that I've been unable to find any sort of interview with him about it. Most of the other big characters have a little something, either from the premiers or Kingdom Hearts.
And, honestly, that's pretty impressive if he didn't like the lines, because he read them pretty well.

I wonder how, if any, Crisis Core affected his opinion.

Pixel

The Pixie King
Don't know where I read that, but in his AMA, he was asked about Sephiroth

First off, I absolutely love your voice! Second, I’m going to be “that guy” to get it over with: if/and/or when Square Enix puts out an HD remake of Final Fantasy 7, would you want to voice Sephiroth?
HECK YEAH CHEWYGUM!

I was looking at your wiki page and was suprised to see you have voiced Sephiroth on numerous occasions. He is such an iconic video game villian, so I was wondering how familiar were you with the character when you first got that role?
NOT AT ALL....NOW I KNOW HOW BIG HE IS AROUND THE WORLD....WOULD LOVE TO DO MORE!

Dravin

Awaiting 2017
Lots of good ideas here. I like most of the ACC cast, though Aerith's VA from Crisis Core did seem better than Suvari. Though as has been mentioned, part of ACC's VA issues I think stem from SE not bothering to reanimate the mouth movements to fit English dialogue. Hence we have moments like dilly dally shilly shally and Barret's weird grunt after "You look after Mother!" which itself was a bit of an awkward line, I thought. Also, if they ever re-release ACC, I hope they do a true HD version rather than just part HD and part upscaled and translate the Japanese text at the beginning scenes. That always bugged me that they never did that.

Anyway, sorry for getting off topic. I can definitely see Sutherland as President Shinra, or perhaps Patrick Stewart. I think Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa (Shang Tsung from Mortal Kombat) would be perfect to voice Hojo. He definitely can give his voice that sinister edge, and it's far better than that whiny cartoonish voice we got in Dirge. I think a darker voice, properly understated but very much there, could make Hojo a much more effective villian and character. One other possibility that could pull it off quite well would be Tim Curry - he excels at playing villians and has done VA in games before (Arl Howe in Dragon Age: Origins).

And definitely bring back Quentin for Reno, and Rick Gomez (I think that was his name) for Zack. Newburn was fine as Sephiroth, I thought, though it took me quite a while to realize that this was the same guy that played Brian Mackenzie, Annie Banks' fiancee, in Father of the Bride. I think he must have lowered his voice an octave or something to play Seph. And if Jenova has any more lines than just the one from the OG, I think Claudia Black would be a good choice for her voice.

Channy

Bad Habit
AKA
Ruby Rose, Lucy
Dravin said:
. Newburn was fine as Sephiroth, I thought, though it took me quite a while to realize that this was the same guy that played Brian Mackenzie, Annie Banks' fiancee, in Father of the Bride. I think he must have lowered his voice an octave or something to play Seph.

Oh my god. Seriously? That's him?

SomethingWithTheR

Rookie Adventurer
For writing for Japanese lip sync, it just takes some good script writing....and that usually takes a lot of time. I pretty much expect them to use the Japanese timing for this to save money. I'm pretty sure they could've found a better equivalent to "zuruzuruzuru", if they weren't so pressed for time. Could've went for something like "You always brood. That's all you ever do now!" or if you want to go with repetitive nature of the original script, you could go with "Brooding, brooding, all you ever do is brood!" instead of going with a direct translation, but still went with the intent of the line, somewhat.

It also helps to let the voice actor say the line is hard/awkwardly said, so they can rewrite the line to work in their favor. But, I don't know if they let them do that.

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
I actually thought of David Tennant at work. He has done voice work for animation before. He's done a few animated Brit movies, some documentary voice overs, and he even did a couple episodes of Star Wars: Clone Wars and some weird fish show on the Disney Channel.

He would probably be up for it. Oh man I hope Square is hip to this. Please please please.

Dravin

Awaiting 2017
Holy crap, I love those weird six degrees of separations. My sisters loved those movies and we watched them all the time.

Yeah, they're great. Franc is especially hilarious. Short and Martin are gold together, here and in Three Amigos with Chevy Chase. Awesome stuff.

Channy

Bad Habit
AKA
Ruby Rose, Lucy
Argh I hate Chevy Chase. Probably because of Community. That and I've seen the Christmas National Lampoons a million times, always tricked into believing it was a cartoon because of the Intro.

Dravin

Awaiting 2017
Argh I hate Chevy Chase. Probably because of Community. That and I've seen the Christmas National Lampoons a million times, always tricked into believing it was a cartoon because of the Intro.

Ah, well, to each their own. I never minded him much, but that's just me. I liked Christmas Vacation myself. The electrified cat was classic.

Channy

Bad Habit
AKA
Ruby Rose, Lucy
Yeah, there's certain things that you can take when forced upon you... Chevy Chase is not one of them. :monster:

Channy

Bad Habit
AKA
Ruby Rose, Lucy
Because he is Pierce and he is everything that is wrong in the world.

I dunno, some weird six degrees of separated media trivia. :monster:

Knuxson

Pro Adventurer
Am I the only one who thinks they should start over with all new voice actors?

I think thats important to make this game feel as original and fresh as possible.

Even David Hayter didnt do the voice of Solid Snake forever

My choices

Cloud - Ryan Gosling
Tifa - Scarlett Johansson
Aerith - Jennifer Lawrence
Barret - Dwayne Johnson
Sephiroth - Clive Owen
Yuffie - Shailene Woodley
Red XIII - Andy Serkis
Rufus - Edward Burns
President Shinra - Donald Sutherland
Cid - Chris Pratt
Hojo - Paul Giamatti

That would be an expensive cast! I wouldn't mind some people from AC to return. I liked most of them.

Arianna

Holy, Personified
AKA
Katie; Seta.
I asked Paul Eiding (via Facebook), voice of Hojo in the English version of Dirge of Cerberus, if he learned anything about the remake. I'll let everyone know what he says if and when he gets back to me (if he can say anything.)

Top Bottom