Voice Actors

Starling

Pro Adventurer
No, but it has to do with voice acting. Text boxes don't have to care about lip syncing and they can cheat with characters whose mouths are obscured but if they have voice acting, they'll have to either resync all the dialogue or try and get the retranslated script to match up with the mouth movement. Considering how much care they seem to be putting into it, I would think they'd be willing to do what they can to avert the issue.

Starling

Pro Adventurer
It's like reading words in a language the makes sounds that aren't present in the ones you speak and without any audio example, trying to conceptualize what sound is supposed to be made there and how.

SomethingWithTheR

Rookie Adventurer
Of course the first post I make has to be voice acting. :P Hi, everyone.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind, if they audition some unknown voice actors. Some new talent might actually bring the right performance for some of these characters. Though, a new voice director is definitely a must, if they get the current voice cast to reprise. Even in the Kingdom Hearts stuff, the voice director for the Compilation tends to make even some of the most experienced voice actors bland performances.

Though, I kind of want Josh Keaton in there somewhere. Maybe as Cloud or Zack. <<;

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
Gonna have to disagree with you guys. Red XIII being a kid is suppose to be twist. He should sound all kinds of dignified and usually attempt to act the part but in reality he's an easily rattled teen. Advent Children's voice is fine. Clive Owen for Sephiroth would be fun tho.

Keveh Kins

Pun Enthusiast
Yeah that would be miserable if they didnt cast him.
Wet and miserable. This place is flooded.

At least you managed to avoid drowning! :monster:

I'd be happy to see Steve Burton return as Cloud. The only time I didn't like his performance was in the original Dissidia game's cutscenes and whatnot because he took these long mid-sentence pauses all the time. But that's more down to bad voice directing than anything.

Wouldn't mind having Troy Baker get a role somewhere in the game though, just for the awesome. Maybe as Dyne? Though I've always thought Dyne would have a bit of a lighter voice ala Aaron Paul.

They should totally get Eminem to do Mr. Coates, just for the fan joke.

In my head Dio always sounded like Foghorn Leghorn, all "Boy I say, I say, let me tell you something boy...". So I'd like the Foghorn Leghorn person to do him :monster:

Eerie

Fire and Blood
TBH anything to avoid the French voice acting - it's always subpar as they clearly read their text instead of acting them. I guess I'll have to go w/ subs if possible! I don't mind them, luckily.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
No, but it has to do with voice acting. Text boxes don't have to care about lip syncing and they can cheat with characters whose mouths are obscured but if they have voice acting, they'll have to either resync all the dialogue or try and get the retranslated script to match up with the mouth movement. Considering how much care they seem to be putting into it, I would think they'd be willing to do what they can to avert the issue.

No, I mean, the translation of "zuru zuru" doesn't have anything to do with the specific voice actors.

But... no vowels... how do you... huh?

I was just trying to write what an onomatopoeia for dragging would be to English speakers. Basically, putting your tongue against the back of your throat and making a constant noise. And how weird that would be, but apparently something you can just do in Japanese? (Start making sounds)

Jason Tandro

Banned
AKA
Jason Tandro, Doc Brown, Santa Christ, FearAddict, Thibault Stormrunner, RN: Micah Rodney
I was just trying to write what an onomatopoeia for dragging would be to English speakers. Basically, putting your tongue against the back of your throat and making a constant noise. And how weird that would be, but apparently something you can just do in Japanese? (Start making sounds)

But no, onomatopoeia are tricky because every single language has their own version of it and we can't all decide what sounds like what. It's like that freaking Family Guy joke.

I'm trying to think of how they are going to make those mumbly sounds the black-cloaked fellows make with voice-acting too.

And, as a side note, it would be freaking amazing if the HD Ghost Square had a legit haunted house with an onryo moving about...

Flare

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Flare
Maybe I'm alone in the thought that I liked all the original VA's. I think it'd feel weird to have them changed; it'd be like, I dunno, changing all their hairstyles or something.
Like giving Cloud a bowl cut. :awesome:

Channy

Bad Habit
AKA
Ruby Rose, Lucy
Changing ALL the VAs would be bad. I already have to deal with a Powerpuff Girls reboot with no Tara Strong. I don't think I could handle anything more :(

SomethingWithTheR

Rookie Adventurer
While I'm fine with the idea that the current cast gets to reprise for the game, they need to hire a better voice director for the game. Even in Kingdom Hearts, he seems to turn in a lot of bland performances from even the most experienced actor.

But, personally, I rather they recast everyone. Maybe, even get some unknowns to play the part. They could probably bring the right performance that these characters need that the current set of voice actors can't. Though, I do want to see Josh Keaton in there somewhere. Maybe as Cloud or Zack. >>

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I like the existing actors too. Again, it'll come down to the directing.

And the Mr T as Barret is such a pet peeve of mine. I know people are usually saying it tongue-in-cheek, but it's such an invalidation of what a good serious character he is. And Beau Billingslea is a very good voice actor (See: SpikeDERPEDIT: Jet Black, Cowboy Bebop) that hasn't been able to do much with Barret in the Compilation. I'd love to hear him to Barret's heavier scenes.

clowd

Pro Adventurer
Yes. This. 100% This. When I did my pretend live action dream cast list I made the same call. President Snow is pretty much President Shinra anyways.

444977-presidentshinra.png

Since the dark days our great nation has known only peace. Ours is an elegant system. Conceived to nourish and protect. Your sectors are the body, Shinra is the beating heart. Your hard work feeds us, and in return we feed and protect you.

But if you resist the system you starve yourself. If you fight against it, it is you who will bleed. I know you will stand with me, with us, with all of us. Together. As one.

Shinra today. Shinra tomorrow. Shinra forever.

lithiumkatana17

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Lith
I hope that all the VAs stay the same. I'm so used to Steve Burton as Cloud, George Newbern as Sephiroth, Rachel Leigh Cook as Tifa... I'm a big fan of continuity. Although I do like the suggestion in one of the previous posts that there be a better voice director--they're the ones that are ultimately satisfied with the performance given. Hopefully we get one that understands how important this game is to fans and demands that the VAs give it their all.

Pixel

The Pixie King
I hope the other studio do the English voice stuff. So far all of the FF7 and KH stuff has been handled by Skylark Sound Studios, I think because they were responsible for the casting in KH, which was kept for AC.

But all other projects since FFXII have had amazing voice acting, and havent been handle by them. They seem to take more care. Even getting dialect coaches, and in the case of Ashe's VA, shakespearian acting classes.

Joe

I KEEP MY IDEALS
AKA
Joe, Arcana
I hope that all the VAs stay the same. I'm so used to Steve Burton as Cloud, George Newbern as Sephiroth, Rachel Leigh Cook as Tifa... I'm a big fan of continuity. Although I do like the suggestion in one of the previous posts that there be a better voice director--they're the ones that are ultimately satisfied with the performance given. Hopefully we get one that understands how important this game is to fans and demands that the VAs give it their all.
Yeah I'd prefer continuity over a 'better' cast any day. The character voices are half of what attach me to a character. If they change then my interest in them is sure to dwindle.

Channy

Bad Habit
AKA
Ruby Rose, Lucy
I hope the other studio do the English voice stuff. So far all of the FF7 and KH stuff has been handled by Skylark Sound Studios, I think because they were responsible for the casting in KH, which was kept for AC.

But all other projects since FFXII have had amazing voice acting, and havent been handle by them. They seem to take more care. Even getting dialect coaches, and in the case of Ashe's VA, shakespearian acting classes.

Well, not original KH, right? Because only Steve Burton kept his role for Cloud from KH to AC... Seph and Aerith changed, I can't remember about Cid, and Yuffie changed later.

ultima espio

Pro Adventurer
I always used to imagine Scarlet sounded like Jessie from the pokemon anime :P Though I think Grey DeLisle might be a good fit for her:

Chris Sabat's Yamcha might be a good fit for Johnny:

CameoAmalthea

Pro Adventurer
I like the existing actors too. Again, it'll come down to the directing.

And the Mr T as Barret is such a pet peeve of mine. I know people are usually saying it tongue-in-cheek, but it's such an invalidation of what a good serious character he is. And Beau Billingslea is a very good voice actor (See: Spike, Cowboy Bebop) that hasn't been able to do much with Barret in the Compilation. I'd love to hear him to Barret's heavier scenes.

The Mr T as Barret is based on the characters design. I do think Mr T can act, even if he's become sort of a walking parody of himself - he is an actor.

That said, yeah Beau Billingslea is a great voice actor and I'd be all for him voicing Barret. (also didn't he voice Jet Black not Spike?)

I just like the irony of having Barret voiced by the man who clearly influenced his character design. (Not sure if irony is the right word).

Also, I'd love for David Tennant to voice Reeve and Cait Sithe - with him doing an English or American accent for Reeve then his normal scottish accent for Cait Sithe.

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
Amizon, Commander Shepard, Ellie, Rinoa Heartilly, Xena, Clara Oswald, Gamora, Lana Kane, Tifa Lockhart, Jodie Holmes, Chloe Price.
tumblr_inline_mrgenaFvQr1qz4rgp.gif

I love the David Tennant idea!

I like Steve Burton as Cloud, but I've associated his voice with moody Compilation Cloud. It'd be interesting to see how he pulls off the more arrogant, cocky Cloud from the OG if he were to return.

I also really like Rachel Leigh Cook as Tifa, and not just because I think Rachel Leigh Cook is super cute or anything :P I like that her voice was very friendly and welcoming, because that's how I imagined Tifa as a kid.

I also like George Newbern as Sephiroth. He can do friendly CC Sephiroth just as well as he can do sinister ACC Sephiroth. I wouldn't mind him playing Sephiroth again, although I also wouldn't mind Lance Bass reprising his role from the first KH just because the thought of one of the dudes from NSYNC playing Sephiroth is endlessly amusing to me.

Top Bottom