Website ff7

Juge_F_G

potato master
Hey everyone!

This is going to be my first post on this thread. I have made a website about ff7, using html. It is a bit of my own opinion, and a bit about the game. I would love for you to check it out, and give me some tips about it. The code? The coloring? Please let me know. Do please keep in mind that i am a beginner, not a proffesional programmer... So don't look at it with a proffesional eye please =D. Anyway, thanks for the look, and give the tips!!!I have posted it to this github account, it is the ff7.html file, Please have a look! You are allowed to make changes in the file/code, but please let me know what type of changes you made! (please count=5)

Ghost X

I'm no github aficionado, so less than a beginner than yourself, and I'm not sure if many other people here would be knowledgeable how to work it either. How does one get the website up? Clicking on the html file, as you say, simply displays its code on the right-hand side, rather than displays the website.

Last edited:

Juge_F_G

potato master
There is a download button there, above the code. The raw file can be downloaded there. However, i just figured out that when you do that, the pictures won't load in... So i will check up on that, the text can be seen tho!

Ghost X

To be honest, and not having knowledge in this, it sounds like a security risk to me. I mean, even if you're innocent yourself, if anyone can edit it, I'm guessing they can put dodgy executable files in, etc, so as a mod, I'm just going to suggest viewers not to download anything, or do so at your own risk, until I get confirmation from folks more experienced than myself as to whether it is a good idea to participate :P. In the meantime, I'm going to bed.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Goedemiddag :monster:

First off, Interesting phrasing you're using here; I'd avoid homophobic remarks in your (apparent) school project, we don't stand for that kind of thing around here. I would also avoid leaking public information like where you go to school and where you live (FYI, I live in Amersfoort ;) ).

@ Ghost and co, it's just plain HTML files, no security risks as far as I can tell; you can open the HTML files in a browser.

@Juge_F_G I recommend you put your different projects in their own folders, to keep your HTML, JS and image files grouped by project.

Second, I'm not sure if it works for plain HTML pages, but you could look into Github Pages so that your files are hosted on a website and automatically updated when you do so in Github. Alternatively, for a few euros a month you could register your own domain name and upload these files via FTP, this website was hosted for a while on Mijndomein, it was pretty decent and it's cheap.

As for the page itself, my first impression is that the font doesn't have enough contrast (grey text on a beige background is hard to read), and that you should make it so that it doesn't take up the full page width (on desktop); http://bettermotherfuckingwebsite.com/ is a great example of some very simple layout tricks to make a website page easier to read. (even though it's a bit offensive).

1692022654744.png

Juge_F_G

potato master
To be honest, and not having knowledge in this, it sounds like a security risk to me. I mean, even if you're innocent yourself, if anyone can edit it, I'm guessing they can put dodgy executable files in, etc, so as a mod, I'm just going to suggest viewers not to download anything, or do so at your own risk, until I get confirmation from folks more experienced than myself as to whether it is a good idea to participate :P. In the meantime, I'm going to bed.
Good point! private may be a better idea... That is something i hadn't thought about, thanks!

Juge_F_G

potato master
Goedemiddag :monster:

First off, Interesting phrasing you're using here; I'd avoid homophobic remarks in your (apparent) school project, we don't stand for that kind of thing around here. I would also avoid leaking public information like where you go to school and where you live (FYI, I live in Amersfoort ;) ).

@ Ghost and co, it's just plain HTML files, no security risks as far as I can tell; you can open the HTML files in a browser.

@Juge_F_G I recommend you put your different projects in their own folders, to keep your HTML, JS and image files grouped by project.

Second, I'm not sure if it works for plain HTML pages, but you could look into Github Pages so that your files are hosted on a website and automatically updated when you do so in Github. Alternatively, for a few euros a month you could register your own domain name and upload these files via FTP, this website was hosted for a while on Mijndomein, it was pretty decent and it's cheap.

As for the page itself, my first impression is that the font doesn't have enough contrast (grey text on a beige background is hard to read), and that you should make it so that it doesn't take up the full page width (on desktop); http://bettermotherfuckingwebsite.com/ is a great example of some very simple layout tricks to make a website page easier to read. (even though it's a bit offensive).

View attachment 13736
Verry interessting to see another dutch person on here!

Thanks for the tips, i agree about the weird (homophobic) codefiles. Made those with some friends, to joke about one another. (with their confirmation, might i add ;D). However, them being published on there isn't really that great of an idea, i will get those deleated.

furthermore, i will keep the other tips in mind. Thanks for the explanation site (Even though it didn't seem to like me that much XD)

Juge_F_G

potato master
Verry interessting to see another dutch person on here!

Thanks for the tips, i agree about the weird (homophobic) codefiles. Made those with some friends, to joke about one another. (with their confirmation, might i add ;D). However, them being published on there isn't really that great of an idea, i will get those deleated.

furthermore, i will keep the other tips in mind. Thanks for the explanation site (Even though it didn't seem to like me that much XD)
Just a quick note: The weird codefiles have been deleted, thanks for notifying it!

Juge_F_G

potato master
So you joined a fan site to just post about your own fan site.....
uhh... yes. I believe i did, yet i did not do it intending on bringing down other/this fan site. I mostly did it because i want to learn more about coding, and this website was the biggest one i made. I was hoping to find people here who know how to code, so that i can get tips on the coding =D. However, i do get that posting a fan site on a fan site is maybe a bit off...:lol:

Juge_F_G

potato master
Checked up on it! Sorry about the confusion, the code cannot be edited at random. I can select specific people i want to have changing the code, others can only see the code. Come to think of it, it would be pretty weird if people could just come into the space and mess things up in the code for fun...:huh:

Sutsivoiran

Pro Adventurer
AKA
AverageNoid
I don't know how website construction and management works, but is the website "up"? Can it be accessed via search engine yet?

Fangu

Great Old One
I'm pleasantly surprised; I was told people didn't bother learning HTML and CSS these days, rather using UI libraries like React MUI (which is great, that being said), so someone learning the basics of web markup is nice.

On the other hand, that means my plan of earning big bucks in 10 years time as that knowledge is being lost is fading :P
(Nah I never saw that as anything nearing real, with CSS wars being a thing and all)

Keep going, you're doing great :monster:

Juge_F_G

potato master
I don't know how website construction and management works, but is the website "up"? Can it be accessed via search engine yet?
Hmm... i don't think so. I wanted to make the last couple of changes before i published it. However, i will need to make a domain to get it up and running. Otherwise people would have to acces my personal files, and i don't really want that to happen... =D

Juge_F_G

potato master
I'm pleasantly surprised; I was told people didn't bother learning HTML and CSS these days, rather using UI libraries like React MUI (which is great, that being said), so someone learning the basics of web markup is nice.

On the other hand, that means my plan of earning big bucks in 10 years time as that knowledge is being lost is fading :P
(Nah I never saw that as anything nearing real, with CSS wars being a thing and all)

Keep going, you're doing great :monster:
Thank you! I decided to learn HTML and CSS since everyone was using those web makers, the ones with just the templates and all. I wanted to show them that you can make websites without using the things that we're already made for you. I want people to show their creativity, and make things themself! I hope that we can get more and more people to use this way, That way we can be sure that HTML and CSS will not fade in history. Thanks for the kind words, means a lot to me:)

Sutsivoiran

Pro Adventurer
AKA
AverageNoid
Hmm... i don't think so. I wanted to make the last couple of changes before i published it. However, i will need to make a domain to get it up and running. Otherwise people would have to acces my personal files, and i don't really want that to happen... =D
Oh okay, fair enough. I look forward to its publishing :)

Sutsivoiran

Pro Adventurer
AKA
AverageNoid
I have no idea but good luck anyway. (Just thought I'd reply to show support and interest in the website).

Top Bottom