What are you listening to?

CK

buried but breathing
AKA
CK, 2D, wanker
Bad Devil (live)
Devin Townsend

sounds just as good live as it does on album.

Teva

hai a/s/l plz?
AKA
Queen of Sunshine / QoS / Suiseiseki / Desudesudesu / Teva / Teva'ni
Rotting Root -- Dir en grey

Hardcore song is hardcore. 'Nuff said. :awesome:

Teva

hai a/s/l plz?
AKA
Smile Ichiban li Onna -- Antic Cafe

. . . only because imeem decided to randomly select this song since it was "related" to Dir en grey apparently.

Teva

hai a/s/l plz?
AKA
Soundscape -- BoA

*hums along*

Teva

hai a/s/l plz?
AKA
The same song from my latest post.

It's on repeat. :awesome:

Teva

hai a/s/l plz?
AKA
Last Night -- Craig David

The club-bumping song. Wut? :wacky:

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V
Michael Jackson - Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'

There will never be another album like Thriller. Certainly in terms of artistic achievement many have equalled or even bettered it, but there's no way it will ever be surpassed in terms of overall cultural impact afteer the way the music industry has become so fragmented.

Teva

hai a/s/l plz?
AKA
Michael Jackson - Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'

there will never be another album like Thriller

I wasn't even planning to listen to him today until you mentioned this song . . .

Now I just HAVE to. Thanks a lot. :awesome:

Billie Jean -- Michael Jackson

And THANK YOU Thriller was awesoooooooome. More awesome than Off the Wall and this is what my mom and I disagree on. She thinks his first album rocks more, I think his second one is epic. Come on, Beat It, PYT, Thriller :wacky: . . . those are classics.

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
Michael Jackson - Baby Be Mine

Off the Wall is like his fifth album, it's just the first he had complete creative control over. And I think they're just about equal on an artistic level, but I'm biased towards Thriller because it was the first album I fell in love with so I can't really evaluate it objectively.

Teva

hai a/s/l plz?
AKA
Michael Jackson - Baby Be Mine

Off the Wall is like his fifth album, it's just the first he had complete creative control over. And I think they're just about equal on an artistic level, but I'm biased towards Thriller because it was the first album I fell in love with so I can't really evaluate it objectively.

Okay Off the Wall was his first album as a solor artist. Didn't have to be so technical about it. :awesome:

Artistically I just feel that Thriller was more innovative, and more varied creatively than Off the Wall.

Oh and before I forget:

Workin Day and Night -- Michael Jackson

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
He actually had four solo albums before that though, in addition to his stuff with the Jackson 5. I don't think he actually wrote any of the material on them, but they were still credited to him as a solo artist.

As far as which is moar innovative, I'm not sure I can even pick. I can't really even imagine pop music without either one of them, even when I attempt to make an objective consideration of what came before them. It's like considering pop music before and after the Beatles or Chuck Berry. The shift is so seismic that it's pretty much impossible to fathom.

Michael Jackson - The Girl Is Mine

Teva

hai a/s/l plz?
AKA
He actually had four solo albums before that though, in addition to his stuff with the Jackson 5. I don't think he actually wrote any of the material on them, but they were still credited to him as a solo artist.

As far as which is moar innovative, I'm not sure I can even pick. I can't really even imagine pop music without either one of them, even when I attempt to make an objective consideration of what came before them. It's like considering pop music before and after the Beatles or Chuck Berry. The shift is so seismic that it's pretty much impossible to fathom.

Michael Jackson - The Girl Is Mine

Okay genuis. :glomp:

They're both innovative in their own ways, Thriller's just more impactful to me. Thriller ultimately led to Michael releasing music videos that focused on complex storylines, choreography, and special effects. :awesome:

Off the Wall was innovative in that it introduced a mainly white audience to a black boy that could sing his butt off and dance---and he could write his own material as well.

One More Chance -- Michael Jackson

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
yeah I can agree with that. Really I guess in terms of its music videos Thriller would probably have to be the more culturally important album, since it changed the way people thought about and responded to new music (not necessarily for the better since his imitators took the visual aspects and jettisoned the substance-related ones, but hey, can't have everything :wackymonster:). Off the Wall was a pretty huge step in the evolution of disco music though

Michael Jackson - Beat It

Teva

hai a/s/l plz?
AKA
yeah I can agree with that. Really I guess in terms of its music videos Thriller would probably have to be the more culturally important album, since it changed the way people thought about and responded to new music (not necessarily for the better since his imitators took the visual aspects and jettisoned the substance-related ones, but hey, can't have everything :wackymonster:). Off the Wall was a pretty huge step in the evolution of disco music though

Michael Jackson - Beat It

Forgot about the disco aspect of Off the Wall, it was a completely hot album in that every track MADE you want to dance, even if you couldn't (and i can :wacky:).

Yes unfortunately the downside to Thriller's innovations in mass media was that Jackson's imitators would hopelessly try to emulate and modify his dance moves until it became almost normal. Ick.

Speechless -- Michael Jackson

*sings along*

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
Most songs on Thriller are pretty dance-worthy as well. Though the sense of rhythm still is a bit more prominent on Off the Wall.

Jackson was quite a bit like Nirvana or Pearl Jam in that respect in that he spawned a legion of inferior imitators. Which doesn't take anything away from his accomplishments, but it is a rather unfortunate footnote to his legacy. And honestly, his inferior imitators probably would've come along regardless; the amount of marketing research that went into MTV virtually ensured that music would eventually be dumbed down.

Michael Jackson - Billie Jean

Teva

hai a/s/l plz?
AKA
Most songs on Thriller are pretty dance-worthy as well. Though the sense of rhythm still is a bit more prominent on Off the Wall.

Jackson was quite a bit like Nirvana or Pearl Jam in that respect in that he spawned a legion of inferior imitators. Which doesn't take anything away from his accomplishments, but it is a rather unfortunate footnote to his legacy. And honestly, his inferior imitators probably would've come along regardless; the amount of marketing research that went into MTV virtually ensured that music would eventually be dumbed down.

Michael Jackson - Billie Jean

I'd compare him more to the Beatles in that he influenced his generation and continues to do so even though he's long gone. The Beatles still hold a prominent place in Rock music history just like how MJ holds a prominent and revered place in Pop music history.

Yeah Rock With You was very danceworthy.

Rock With You (Frankie Knuckles Remix) -- Michael Jackson

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
Well to be fair there are a whole legion of rock bands that wouldn't even exist without Pearl Jam or Nirvana. But yeah the Beatles are probably a better point of comparison, even though they're also substantially moar prolific.

Michael Jackson - The Lady in My Life

Teva

hai a/s/l plz?
AKA
Well to be fair there are a whole legion of rock bands that wouldn't even exist without Pearl Jam or Nirvana. But yeah the Beatles are probably a better point of comparison, even though they're also substantially moar prolific.

Michael Jackson - The Lady in My Life

True that, Nirvana did create the Grunge genre after all. Pearl Jam was---actually I never really got into them to be honest.

Smooth Criminal -- Michael Jackson *moonwalks*

Top Bottom