What are you listening to?

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V
Oasis - [(What's the Story) Morning Glory? #08] Cast No Shadow [4:52]

Dear Vlado Meller:

Fuck you.

Luckily I was able to restore some dynamic range with Audacity and make this listenable, but the waveform of the original album is just disgusting to look at:

morning glory comparison.png

I'm still not even sure why they brickwalled the album so horribly considering the peak doesn't even hit 80% of the maximum amplitude possible for CDs. That means that even though it was mastered to -8 dB RMS (which was unprecedented at the time, by the way), they could easily have retained at least another 5 dB of dynamic range without reducing the overall volume at all.

Edley

Pray for Sound
AKA
Issac Dian, Dudley, Chev Chelios
Steven Wilson mentioned how he considered placing a message on record sleeves that reads as follows: "Please note that this record may not be mastered as loudly as some of the other records in your collection. This is in order to retain the dynamic range and subtlety of the music. Please, use your volume knob."

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
Yep, which is one of the reasons why Wilson is awesome. Unfortunately, Wilson's albums have not been immune to this treatment; In Absentia and Deadwing are both audibly clipped on CD, which I can only assume was the record company's fault, and the CDs of subsequent releases still have a fair amount of volume compression (although thankfully, no clipping). Luckily, this is averted by the DVD-audio releases. I thought I mentioned this in my rant about the loudness war, but apparently it only came up in a similar thread I posted on another board.

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
Warning - [Watching from a Distance CD1 #01] Watching from a Distance [12:06]

SoulReaper

Titties 'n' Beer
AKA
Lord_Graf
Dead Can Dance - Oman

Towards The Within is incredible imo. They better announce tourdates soon, I wouldn't want to miss one of their shows.

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
DCD are great and I should listen to them more often.

40 Watt Sun - [The Inside Room #01] Restless [10:46]

Edley

Pray for Sound
AKA
Issac Dian, Dudley, Chev Chelios
Yep, which is one of the reasons why Wilson is awesome. Unfortunately, Wilson's albums have not been immune to this treatment; In Absentia and Deadwing are both audibly clipped on CD, which I can only assume was the record company's fault, and the CDs of subsequent releases still have a fair amount of volume compression (although thankfully, no clipping). Luckily, this is averted by the DVD-audio releases. I thought I mentioned this in my rant about the loudness war, but apparently it only came up in a similar thread I posted on another board.

Yeah, that was Lava/Atlantic's fault I do believe. I picked up the special editions of Deadwing, Fear of a Blank Planet, and The Incident and ripped the audio from the DVD-A, so I've skipped the CD versions. Then again, I've become one of those lossless snobs and don't really listen to CDs anymore.

Benediction - They Must Die Screaming

CK

buried but breathing
AKA
CK, 2D, wanker
Restless
40 Watt Sun

This is easily the best album of 2011 for me I can't stop listening. ._.

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
植松伸夫 - [遠い日々の名残り CD3 #11] 遠い日々の名残り

CK

buried but breathing
AKA
CK, 2D, wanker
Echos
Warning

Enjoying this too but I must say I enjoy 40 Watt Sun more. :monster:

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
Probably never. I should listen to them way more often.

Tom Lehrer - [The Remains of Tom Lehrer CD2 #24] We Will All Go Together When We Go [5:30]

This deserves a :hugemonster:.

Top Bottom