What are you listening to?

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V
These days that wouldn't take much effort :monster: Granted, back in the day it would've been an impressive accomplishment

Led Zeppelin - [Houses of the Holy] The Rain Song [7:38]

Last edited:

SoulReaper

Titties 'n' Beer
AKA
Lord_Graf
Raven is killer high energetic NWOBHM

Koldbrann - Drammen

The production on the new album is maybe way too clean for them but the songs still rule. Early in 2013 but I think with the new albums from Defeated Sanity, Portal, Manilla Road, Cult Of Luna and Koldbrann, 2013 already probably ( probably as I havent heard most of these albums yet) destroys 2012 metal releases wise.

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
Will have to check out both bands :monster: Portal at least has been great, although the mastering was terrible as is pretty much typical with modern death metal :monster: Cult of Luna is out and/or leaked but I haven't listened yet, will do that soon :monster:

Led Zeppelin - [Physical Graffiti CD1 #06] Kashmir [8:35]

It seems tame now but it's pretty difficult to believe this album was recorded in 1974. That drum sound is just massive for the time. Of course "When the Levee Breaks" was even more massive and that was 1971. Andy Johns is a severely underrated engineer.

Dawnbreaker

~The Other Side of Fear~
Raven - Hell patrol

They used to headline for Metallica back in the days. Tomorrow I'm going to see them in a small bar. They kick Metallica's overrated arses, that's for sure.

I could sex you up for that comment. :P

also: Sacramentum - When Night Surrounds Me

Awesome music to have in the background while you write an intense battle scene. Much love for it.

SoulReaper

Titties 'n' Beer
AKA
Lord_Graf
Good busy Dawn :monster:

Sacramentum - Obsolete tears

thinking about playing some Dissection, Unanimated and Thulcandra next

SoulReaper

Titties 'n' Beer
AKA
Lord_Graf
Portal at least has been great, although the mastering was terrible as is pretty much typical with modern death metal :monster:

I wanted to reply to this before but I had to have dinner first.

Really man, what gives?! Your obsession over sound quality is going way out of hand. Portal IS supposed to sound murky and shitty - distinguish between instruments is not that relevant in their way of making music. Really, if you know so much about how music is supposed to sound like why don't you start a career in producing music instead of what you're doing now? Really man, sometimes I have the feeling you don't even listen to the actual music... but maybe that's just me. Just enjoy the music for how it sounds like.... rather than being annoyed by how it couldve sounded better! Just my two cents.

Dissection - The Somberlain

Still as classic as ever

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
Don't get me wrong, I love the album, and apart from the mastering the production on that album is great. I agree Portal should sound murky and unfathomable and for the most part it succeeds. But since I listen to music on headphones most of the time these days, I hear distortion every time they hit the cymbals and for metal that just annoys the crap out of me, because drums are so central to metal. Though don't get me wrong - I'm having a difficult time finding metal albums these days where they haven't clipped the fuck out of the drums. These days when I download a new metal album I pretty much assume I'm going to have to run it through Audition or iZotope to prevent the drum clipping from annoying me.

I am considering trying to start a career in engineering/mastering, but there's a lot more to it than just being able to know what sounds good; you have to know a lot about equipment and such. Seems like something I'd enjoy regardless though :monster:

That said I probably am obsessing too much over mastering in this thread and should probably just shut up about it :monster:

Led Zeppelin - [Presence #01] Achilles Last Stand [10:26]

one of their best songs ever, which is saying a lot

SoulReaper

Titties 'n' Beer
AKA
Lord_Graf
Hmm I never paid much attention to the drumming of Portal, but I get your point. I remember a a Zappa comment on a track on one of the YCDTOSA how he recorded an ambient 4-track recording of a drum solo with real drums well tuned so people could hear what real drums sounded like again. Which was already way, waaaay before extreme metal.

Dissection - Frozen

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
Yeah. Drums are so seldom well recorded these days and it's annoying because when they're recorded properly they sound amazing.

Led Zeppelin - [Presence #07] Tea for One [9:22]

This song is pretty much just a reworking of "Since I've Been Loving You" but I still love it.

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
Vinterland - [Welcome My Last Chapter (Wings of Sorrow) #01] Our Dawn of Glory [6:10]

Man I forgot how great this was. I hope these guys do another album sometime soon.

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
Thulcandra - [Under a Frozen Sun #01] In Blood and Fire [8:35]

Obviously very good :monster:

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
Dawn - [Nær Sólen Gar Niþer For Evogher #03] Diabolical Beauty [7:09]

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
Dawn - [Slaughtersun (Crown of the Triarchy) #07] Malediction Murder [11:06]

Masterpiece.

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
My Bloody Valentine - [MBV #02] Only Tomorrow [6:22]

Weird album. I get the feeling I'm not going to fully comprehend this one for several listens. I already rather like it, though, and it feels like a definite grower.

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
Roy Harper - [Stormcock #01] Hors d'Oeuvres [8:37]

now I know where Ian Anderson got the inspiration for most of Tull's acoustic music

Last edited:

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
Comus - [First Utterance #01] Diana [4:41]

classic

No one else is still listening to music? :sadpanda:

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
The Atlas Moth - [An Ache for the Distance #07] Courage [2:54]

solid sludge, will definitely make sure to get there in time to catch their set tomorrow

Top Bottom