What are you listening to?

crevaxa

Pro Adventurer
AKA
MDL_0
The Devil's Blood - The Heavens Cry Out for The Devil's Blood

Overhyped band but the demo, 7" and EP are definitely good stuff.

Thats ironic, I literally just saw the poster for their London show with Watain and Von. I can't believe Von reunited.

Iron Maiden - Sign of the Cross

Mantichorus

"I've seen enough."
AKA
Kris; Mantichorus; Sam Vimes; Neku Sakuraba; Koki Kariya; Hazama; CuChulainn; Yu Narukami; Mewtwo; Rival Silver; Suicune; Kanata; Professor Oak; The Brigadier; VIII; The Engineer
-iconoclast- kotoko.

It's the console opening to BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger :)

SoulReaper

Titties 'n' Beer
AKA
Lord_Graf
Thats ironic, I literally just saw the poster for their London show with Watain and Von. I can't believe Von reunited.

Iron Maiden - Sign of the Cross

They're playing with every damn cool tour. Last time I watched them was with Pentagram. They should just stick playing with bands that are kinda similar, like Jex Thoth or something. They're on all those Black Metal tours somehow haha. VON should do a show in the Netherlands. With Beherit. That'd really make my day.

Inquisition - Empire Of Luciferian Race

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V
Todd Rundgren's Utopia - The Ikon

Epic prog that manages to incorporate a lot of Rundgren's pop sensibilities at times too. No idea why these albums are so overlooked and/or disparaged.

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
Rundgren has a gigantic discography; in addition to his own solo output there's his work with Utopia, plus the several dozen albums he's produced. A Wizard, a True Star is probably the most highly regarded of his prog albums, although I'm still unclear as to whether it's my favourite. The most highly regarded of his albums overall is Something/Anything?, which is unusual because it's also the longest item in his discography at over eighty-six minutes in length. For the most part, Rundgren has never gone in for short albums; the only item I have in his discography under fifty minutes is his Beatles parody, Utopia's Deface the Music, which is thirty-two minutes long, and which I would strongly recommend. Other albums I would recommend checking out are Todd Rundgren's Utopia, Todd, and Initiation; Healing also has some interesting moments and if you're up for his standard pop, Hermit of Mink Hollow is essential listening as well. I'm also told by reliable sources that Utopia's Another Live and Ra contain essential prog, but I've yet to listen to them personally because I've been too obsessed with Deface the Music. His last two solo efforts have also gotten excellent reviews, and I can vouch that Liars is quite well executed pop music. Arena is reportedly more of a throwback to the hard rock sound of Utopia's latter days, but I haven't listened to it yet.

So what to start with? It's up to you. Initiation contains a really interesting exploration of synthesizer music on the second side which I find to be enthralling, but some people regard as self-indulgent crap. The same goes for the army-of-keyboards approach on Utopia's début, where three of four tracks exceeed ten minutes and one of them exceeds thirty. Of his more song-oriented albums, the songs might be most consistent on A Wizard or Something/Anything? so those are definitely good entry places; it's hard to go wrong with tracks like "Zen Archer," "Just One Victory," "International Feel," "Hello It's Me," "Breathless" and "I Saw the Light." Deface the Music might also be a good starting point, if only for the awe it evokes at how effectively Rundgren and company manage to make excellent music in the style of so many periods of the Beatles' music.

Last edited:

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
How It Ends - DeVotchKa

YEAH I'M A LITTLE SLOW SO SUE ME

CK

buried but breathing
AKA
CK, 2D, wanker
Ⓐaron;219864 said:
Rundgren has a gigantic discography; in addition to his own solo output there's his work with Utopia, plus the several dozen albums he's produced. A Wizard, a True Star is probably the most highly regarded of his prog albums, although I'm still unclear as to whether it's my favourite. The most highly regarded of his albums overall is Something/Anything?, which is unusual because it's also the longest item in his discography at over eighty-six minutes in length. For the most part, Rundgren has never gone in for short albums; the only item I have in his discography under fifty minutes is his Beatles parody, Utopia's Deface the Music, which is thirty-two minutes long, and which I would strongly recommend. Other albums I would recommend checking out are Todd Rundgren's Utopia, Todd, and Initiation; Healing also has some interesting moments and if you're up for his standard pop, Hermit of Mink Hollow is essential listening as well. I'm also told by reliable sources that Utopia's Another Live and Ra contain essential prog, but I've yet to listen to them personally because I've been too obsessed with Deface the Music. His last two solo efforts have also gotten excellent reviews, and I can vouch that Liars is quite well executed pop music. Arena is reportedly more of a throwback to the hard rock sound of Utopia's latter days, but I haven't listened to it yet.

So what to start with? It's up to you. Initiation contains a really interesting exploration of synthesizer music on the second side which I find to be enthralling, but some people regard as self-indulgent crap. The same goes for the army-of-keyboards approach on Utopia's début, where three of four tracks exceeed ten minutes and one of them exceeds thirty. Of his more song-oriented albums, the songs might be most consistent on A Wizard or Something/Anything? so those are definitely good entry places; it's hard to go wrong with tracks like "Zen Archer," "Just One Victory," "International Feel," "Hello It's Me," "Breathless" and "I Saw the Light." Deface the Music might also be a good starting point, if only for the awe it evokes at how effectively Rundgren and company manage to make excellent music in the style of so many periods of the Beatles' music.

If you got time put up the albums you'd think i'd get into the most on fcf pl0x.

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
k, when I decide what those are. But you should grab Sigh first.

Krallice - Molec Codices

CK

buried but breathing
AKA
CK, 2D, wanker
I really should since i'm listening to Doman Seman atm. The second half is so damn good.

SoulReaper

Titties 'n' Beer
AKA
Lord_Graf
Got me some Rundgren stuff - now I need to make some time to listen to it

Jethro Tull - Thick As A Brick Part 1

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
Got me some Rundgren stuff - now I need to make some time to listen to it

Jethro Tull - Thick As A Brick Part 1
cool, which albums? let me know what you think

I really should since i'm listening to Doman Seman atm. The second half is so damn good.
Yeah that whole EP is amazing. My Infidel Art 3LP should be arriving soon.

Jello Biafra and the Guantanamo School of Medicine - I Won't Give Up

Edley

Pray for Sound
AKA
Issac Dian, Dudley, Chev Chelios
Shinedown ~ Sound of Madness

Awesome band <3

Band stayed at the hotel I was working at back in 08. Brent had a guitar shipped in for a writing session and hung out while he was waiting on it to come in FedEx. I was never huge on their music, but he seemed like a quality dude.

Seemless - The Wanderer

Top Bottom