What are you reading?

Dana Scully

Special Agent
AKA
YACCBS, Legato Bluesummers, Daenaerys Targaryen, Revy, Kate Beckett, Samantha Carter, Matsumoto Rangiku
Currently in the middle of re-reading the entirety of Dan Abnett's Gaunt's Ghosts WH40K series, and will be following it up with his Eisenhorn and Ravenor series.

Recently finished The Gunslinger by Stephen King, need to pick up the rest of that series too.

Alessa Gillespie

a letter to my future self
AKA
Sansa Stark, Sweet Bro, Feferi, tentacleTherapist, Nin, Aki, Catwoman, Shinjiro Aragaki, Terezi, Princess Bubblegum
Reading Trickster's Queen by Tamora Pierce. And was amused by some dude whining about how people read for entertainment and not to contemplate the Deep Messages of the writing. Woe is me!

Mantichorus

"I've seen enough."
AKA
Kris; Mantichorus; Sam Vimes; Neku Sakuraba; Koki Kariya; Hazama; CuChulainn; Yu Narukami; Mewtwo; Rival Silver; Suicune; Kanata; Professor Oak; The Brigadier; VIII; The Engineer
Currently in the middle of re-reading the entirety of Dan Abnett's Gaunt's Ghosts WH40K series, and will be following it up with his Eisenhorn and Ravenor series.

Recently finished The Gunslinger by Stephen King, need to pick up the rest of that series too.
You need to read Sandy Mitchell's Ciaphas Cain series, if you haven't already. The titular character is a Commissar. And a Hero of the Imperium Memetic Badass. :awesome:

Currently reading Caves of Ice, the second Ciaphas Cain book.
Orks on the surface, necrons below the surface.

Unfortunately for Cain, he's now in the necron tomb complex.

Dana Scully

Special Agent
AKA
YACCBS, Legato Bluesummers, Daenaerys Targaryen, Revy, Kate Beckett, Samantha Carter, Matsumoto Rangiku
You need to read Sandy Mitchell's Ciaphas Cain series, if you haven't already. The titular character is a Commissar. And a Hero of the Imperium Memetic Badass. :awesome:

*jots down title/authour* I'm heading to Chapters tomorrow and will be sure to check it out. :awesome:

Also recently finished The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and its sequel. Waiting on my dad to hurry up and finish the last one so I can read it.

AKA
L, Castiel, Scotty Mc Dickerson
Brilliant series of books.
Dawn of the Dreadfuls, IIRC

Have you also tried Queen Victoria, Zombie Hunter and Henry VIII, Wolfman? I haven't picked up any of these myself, but seeing them in Waterstones makes me LOL. :awesome:

thats the one!
Lol i still have to pick those up, i went mad after buying all of the aforementioned at once so il wait till i have completed em all :P

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V
Halfway into The Golden City now. I'm going to be sad when this series is over. On the other hand I have a number of other books I need to finish off so it's not like I'll have any shortage of reading material.

Mantichorus

"I've seen enough."
AKA
Kris; Mantichorus; Sam Vimes; Neku Sakuraba; Koki Kariya; Hazama; CuChulainn; Yu Narukami; Mewtwo; Rival Silver; Suicune; Kanata; Professor Oak; The Brigadier; VIII; The Engineer
Everyman's Poetry: John Clare

For the record, my favourie Clare poems are (in no particular order): I Am, A Vision and The Peasant Poet.

Also, more of Caves of Ice. Ork gargant vs a necron monolith phalanx. The necrons have unequalled technology that they created while Earth was still dinosaur land, while ork tech runs on refuge in audacity. This should be interesting...

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
final review of the Fourth Realm trilogy:

Since the final volume of the trilogy finally came out in paperback a couple of weeks ago, I picked the whole thing up in the book store based on a recommendation from customers who seemed to know what they were talking about last year. I was not disappointed. The surveillance depicted within makes Orwell look downright complacent and Twelve Hawks' insight into of the current political situation is strong indeed. Twelve Hawks correctly notes that surveillance isn't really a "left versus right" issue - governments of all ideological stripes support these things in order to increase their own power, and due to the potential for abuse innate in this technology, which the trilogy compellingly makes disturbingly clear, should be opposed unilaterally. (The ending also makes it clear that a mass movement is needed to generate any meaningful change, a gesture I appreciate - far too much dystopic fiction doesn't really bother suggesting any realistic solutions, but Twelve Hawks' ending gently nudges the reader to get involved). Beyond the political content, the characterisation and plotting are strong and the pacing is immaculate - scarcely twenty pages go by without some compelling action sequence (Twelve Hawks has embellished the modern world by adding a few fictitious science-fiction elements which add to the action and philosophical content, but otherwise left the current political situation unchanged). He also manages to work in compelling philosophical themes from sources like Jeremy Bentham and Adam Smith (who, it might be noted, is significantly more left-wing than typically assumed).

Mantichorus

"I've seen enough."
AKA
Finished Caves of Ice. If anyone's interested as to who won between the necron monoliths and the ork gargant...
the gargant shows up at the end of the book, albeit worse for wear. We never hear of the monoliths again

Read The Beguiling - a short story part of the same anthology. St. Trinian's... IN SPACE.
And a Slaaneshi cult, but no real change there.

Now reading The Traitor's Hand - Slaaneshi cultists vs Khornate cultists, with a little inter-regimental rivallry between Valhallans and Talherns.

Dana Scully

Special Agent
AKA
Bump.

Just finished reading Spider Bones, by Kathy Reichs, I, Mengsk, by Graham McNiell, and Blood Pact by Dan Abnett which I've been wanting to read for months.

All were quite enjoyable, Blood Pact I devoured in about 6 hours. Dan Abnett never disappoints.

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
I was wondering if we had a thread like this. Curse all you non-bookworms these days

Reading through Robert Ludlum's Bourne series. It's different from the movies, but in a good way I guess.

Also, Marie gets raeped ew >: But there's still quite a bit of non-rape writing about her tits and sex with Jason which is okay I guess

Shit's awkward in this book which makes it a cross between Stockholm Syndrome and blind romantic comedy

Mantichorus

"I've seen enough."
AKA
Ciaphas Cain: Defender of the Imperium - the sequel anthology to Hero of the Imperium.

Currently reading the Duty Calls segment. Genestealer cultists, Chaos cultists Tyranid invasion, Sisters of Battle, Ordo Xenos, and Ordo Hereticus. And of course, the Valhallan 597th Imperial Guard regiment.

Includes a Lictor being ran over by a Chimera.

Bex

fresh to death
AKA
Bex
Beloved - Toni Morrison
Reading this for my Memorialising Slavery module.
TRIPPY
AS
FUCK

Mantichorus

"I've seen enough."
AKA
Duty Calls - apparently, the inside of power armour smells of "Emperor only knows how many centuries of old sweat and flatulence". Charming.

Lord Noctis

Harbinger of Darkness
AKA
Caius Ballad
Mass Effect Ascension. So far I think I liked the first book better, but this is definetely keeping me entertained.

Mantichorus

"I've seen enough."
AKA
Human Animals

Can't recall the name of the author, but this book was written in 1917, and presents information about human-to-animal transformation from both folkloric and occult viewpoints. Very engrossing. :)

Finished Duty Calls. Remember, whenever handling
C'tan
artifacts that can warp you into spawn, it always helps to have a
Blank
around.

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
In my attempt to become more acquainted with the roots of modern crime fiction I have been reading Maj Sjöwall and Per Wahlöö's series The Story of Crime featuring Detective Martin Beck. These novels are generally credited with being the first crime stories to integrate the setting and the crime. Before they came along writers often picked settings for the sake of having exotic locations or having locations which were familiar to the readers, but didn't really do much to investigate how the settings contributed to the crimes that take place in the novels. Sjöwall and Wahlöö changed that from the very first novel, which lightly implies that the murder of a sexually liberated young woman was precipitated by a culture which has little respect for women's rights. Later novels in the series apparently examine issues like the failings of the Swedish welfare state to live up to the ideals it is intended to serve; I am currently reading the first of the novels to examine this, The Laughing Policeman (the fourth novel in the series, which was loosely adopted into a Hollywood movie starring Walter Matthau; the others were all filmed at least once as well, but in Swedish). The series is extremely gripping, with chillingly well-executed suspense and no shortage of black humour; it has earned praise from writers ranging the spectrum from the likes of crime writers like Michael Connelly and Henning Mankell to more "literary" writers like Michael Ondaatje and Jonathan Franzen. It's certainly difficult to imagine Scandinavian crime fiction in particular being anywhere near the same without these novels, but crime fiction in general was pretty much irrevocably changed by this series, whether the authors read the books themselves or simply read the works of people influenced by them. Writers ranging the gamut from Stieg Larsson to James Ellroy clearly bear the marks of influence by these ten books, and I'd recommend them strongly for anyone interested in the genre.

AKA
L, Castiel, Scotty Mc Dickerson
Clive Cussler - Crescent dawn.
First and foremost I love the Dirk Pitt books written by Cussler, I was raised reading them and enjoyed everything from the outlandish underwater James Bond moments to the extremely cheesy love scenes.
It has been a while however since Cussler has bothered writing with the character Dirk Pitt (although every other book he writes the character has a diff name but is essentially the same character) but im thoroughly enjoying it so far.
Im only around mid-way right now but really enjoying his two children being involved in the plot, more talk about the stalky italian sidekick and generally everything involving diving :P

Darkbeat

Nether Gate
The Young Samurai series - Chris Bradford
Pretty awesome serie if you tell me. The whole story how an English kid is trained to become a samurai, learning all the traditions is well written and easy to follow even though a lot of Japanese terms are used. Characters have a lot of depth...only thing is that sucks is that I finish one book in like 4 days and now have to wait until the last 5 books are translated to Dutch

Ghost X

I haven't read fiction books since the Da Vinci Code. Never been a big reader of fiction in the first place. Not many of 'em can keep me interested is the main reason. My issue with a lot of books is that the story doesn't flow. Its like I have a reader version of ADD, and can only be interested if the settings change frequently. A lot of authors spend too much time setting up a scene, whilst I'm going "who cares, what happens next!?"

One book I remember reading was called the Tower of Evil, forgot the author. Twas about some woman who goes to some city building and its possessed by demons or something, can't remember it too well, but I managed to read it cover to cover. Another book I read several years ago, I can't remember the title or author too, but it was about some detective investigating some murder(s), which involved bodies being found in barrels of apple cider. Funny thing was, people were drinking this cider.

Anyways, over the past year I've read two books. Both science-related non-fiction, which I find more interesting. The Grand Design (Stephen Hawking and some co-author), and The Greatest Show on Earth (Richard Dawkins). Both I would recommend people read. Next book I'm going to read is Sam Harris's Moral Landscape, which I get the impression argues a scientific basis for morality. Shall be interesting to see how it compares to my understandings.

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
@Darkbeat, are the English versions hard to get in Dutchyland or something? I'd expect you'd be able to read them if you could come across them; your English seems pretty good. :monster:

@Ghost, something tells me that as far as fiction goes, political thrillers might hold your interest due to your interests in politics and desire to have the settings change frequently; if so I have a few I could recommend for you :monster:

Mantichorus

"I've seen enough."
AKA
Re-reading Duty Calls, by Sandy Mitchell. Simply cos the Ciaphas Cain books are pretty much Blackadder in the W40K universe. :awesome:

Also re-reading The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents by Terry Pratchett (one of my Christmas presents). As Terry said in his acceptance speech for the award this book won him, the rats make war, which is fantastical. But even more fantastical is that they then make peace.

Celes Chere

Banned
AKA
Noctis
I started to read:
Let The Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist.
It's a story about vampires - done right. I got into it because a friend had recommended it and I have to say, that I love it so far. It's interesting, because the main character is a child of 12, and the vampire in the story is actually
Eli is revealed to be a vampire, who was originally a boy. He was castrated about 200 years ago and was turned into a vampire

It's pretty damn intense and intriguing so far, and actually has some really sweet moments too, I already feel like crying because "AWWW".

Darkbeat

Nether Gate
@Aaron, I can get them in English but my girlfriend bought the first 3 books in Dutch and will hang me if I buy the English version or to quote her "you'll be sorry if I find any English books of the series in your apartment". Won't stop me from buying them though XD

Ghost X

Нестор Махно;298875 said:
@Ghost, something tells me that as far as fiction goes, political thrillers might hold your interest due to your interests in politics and desire to have the settings change frequently; if so I have a few I could recommend for you :monster:

Fire away.

Top Bottom