• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

What if FF7 was released in December 1997 as...the first part of a Movie Trilogy Instead of a Game?

clowd

Pro Adventurer
Lets say the story of FF7 originated as a Japanese book, or manga/anime etc.

And Hollywood decided to make it a trilogy, with James Cameron as the Director. Part 1 December '97, Part 2 December '98, and Part 3 December '99.

Like the Lord of the Rings Trilogy which came soon after.

Ive always said FF7 was my 'Star Wars'. I think it's cultural impact could have been much bigger had it been a mainstream movie rather then a video game with a far more limited audience, especially for the time.

Do you think FF7's story had enough weigh to lift 3 movies? And become iconic like the LOTR trilogy, Star Wars Trilogy etc?

Cloud - Leonardo Dicaprio
Aerith - Winona Ryder
Barret - Ving Rhames

Last edited:

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
I feel like this is kinda a Non sequitur sort of question, since the FFVII story was inherently designed with it being a video game as inherent part of its structure. It would have bee a very different beast if had originated from a different medium, so trying to speculate otherwise seems like trying to ask what would Citizen Kane have been like if it had originally been a video game?

Zef

Rookie Adventurer
Based on the time romance was super popular. Romeo + Juliet, Titanic, Space Jam.

So I think they'd probably have ended up shipping Cloud with Aerith and just ending things in Midgar with a sort of Fight Club ending.

AKA
Alex
Leonardo Dicaprio as Cloud. Claire Danes as Aerith. Ming-Na Wen as Tifa. Wesley Snipes as Barret. And Dennis Hopper as President Shinra.

This Christmas... experience the FInal Fantasy............ VII. Directed by Ang Lee. Coming soon to a theater near you.

Erotic Materia

[CONFUSED SCREAMING]
Can we expand on who from the 90s would get cast into which roles?
I'll start:
Johnny Depp - Vincent Valentine
Christian Slater - Reno
Robin Williams - Cait Sith
Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa - Tseng
Keanu Reeves - Reeve (OMG Bruh, it's too perfect)
Brad Pitt - Sephiroth
Wallace Shawn - Palmer
Gary Oldman - Voice AND body of Red XIII, because he can do anything

What else ya got?

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
It'd probably flop lol

What made FFVII so memorable was not just it's story, but the fact the story was a video game. If it were a movie it'd at best be a cult classic that would not have left the huge foot print on popular culture the video game managed to do.

Kai Schulen

... ... ...▼
AKA
Trainer Red
I mean...given that VII is a JRPG, I would expect it to have the 90s Japanese movies aesthetic, rather than it being a Hollywood production of sorts.

So, it'd fade even more away into obscurity.

clowd

Pro Adventurer
I asked AI to imagine Cloud as a live action movie character from the 1990s. This is what it gave me

IMG

Top Bottom