What location are you most looking forward to?

Mako Victim

Mister Monster
There's lots, but Cosmo Canyon had the best story IMO. Red XIII's backstory was always tear jerker for me. Plus the apparatus was amazing.

AvecAloes

Donator
Definitely Forgotten Capital for me. I thought the whole place/song was haunting the first time I played through it, and I can't wait for the remake's version to give me all the chills.

Aside from that, underwater. As in, how are they going to handle deep sea exploration?

Chocobo Sage

Lv. 1 Adventurer
COSTA DEL SOL!

And the Forgotten city... And Icicle Inn.... In fact, the only place that I'm not too interested in seeing is Fort Condor. But that's only because I really disliked that mini-game. Phoenix materia was cool though....

e.suna

little nerdling
I started a list, and then it just became practically everything.

We're lucky the remake isn't going to be virtual reality, because a lot of us just might live in our favorite places and never come back.

(the one thing I would NOT want to experience in VR: that thing where you get on the submarine outside Junon and go underwater to find Emerald Weapon RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU)

Loxetta

Pro Adventurer
(the one thing I would NOT want to experience in VR: that thing where you get on the submarine outside Junon and go underwater to find Emerald Weapon RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU)

Underwater scenes terrify me :monster: even the OG's cartoony underwater scenes freak me out. I have such a phobia about that kind of shit. I'm going to be panicking so bad when the RM comes out if they include it.

But anyway :desu: I came back to add that I hope they keep the Ancient Forest. The puzzles in that place where really fun, I'd love to see them updated for full 3D movement and physics.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
HFIhjlU.jpg

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
So whilst slowly moving my way through another FFVII play through I finally came upon the Temple of the Ancients. I love the opening scene of this location. Aerith laying down on the bridge, finally able to hear what the planet was saying. I've always felt this scene was rather poignant. I can't wait to see it in PS4 graphics. <3

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
I'm actually looking forward to the Forgotten City, Gold Saucer, Costa Del Sol, Wutai(especially Da Chao mountain), Cloud's mind within the Lifestream, and Fort Condor.

Diamonddark

SEPINHORF LIVES!
AKA
Rich
If we omit Gold Saucer along with Midgar, I am seriously looking forward to the Underwater sub (obviously they will fail to match the importance of that location). And Wutai.

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
When they do the sub I hope we get a taste of Cloud's claustrophobia. I've always found that somewhat endearing. <3

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
When they do the sub I hope we get a taste of Cloud's claustrophobia. I've always found that somewhat endearing. <3

I thought that was Cloud's motion sickness briefly returning.

SLFFVII

FFVII RP in Second Life
AKA
Floyd Gilmour
I am a big fan of Midgar, so I will gladly just run around in Midgar for hours on end. That said, I am hugely excited to see what they do with Fort Condor, a Fort Condor tower defense minigame in next gen graphics could be so much fun.

MintEggs

Lv. 1 Adventurer
There are so many but choosing I'd have to say...I'd like to see the Forgotten city, Cosmo Canyon, and the Gold Saucer. \( o w o)/

Under spoiler because kind of off-topic
There is also a scene that I'd like to see redone and that's the part when the party gets caught by Shinra but Sephiroth calls Jenova and using her to slaughter everyone in the building and unlocks their doors in the process. I really hope they are able to capture just how spooky and intense that was when Cloud first wakes up and finds blood just everywhere.

Fangu

Great Old One
On of my top fave, if not THE fave location of the game is the Shinra Building. (Tied with Wall Market.) But I think I like it because of how they did it on PS1 with the open ceilings and everything, so it's going to be very different in the Remake. Still looking forward to it though.

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
Yeah, I'm hoping they do a better job of the Shinra building than they did in Crisis Core.

Unit-01

Might be around.
AKA
Sic, Anthony
They for sure added in Crisis Core, but also the height scaling in that game and Type 0 are both weird because of the way a PSP screen is, so an actual better version of the Shinra Building would be nice.

Out of all the locations, I would love to see Wutai feel more like a city/town rather than the few buildings it had in original. This can be said for all the towns really, but Wutai being the last army to take on Shinra isn't really shown with how big the town was in OG.

(It is hard to pick for this topic, because come-on now who doesn't want to see all the locations remade?!)

hian

Purist
Out of all the locations, I would love to see Wutai feel more like a city/town rather than the few buildings it had in original. This can be said for all the towns really, but Wutai being the last army to take on Shinra isn't really shown with how big the town was in OG.

A similar problem is true for almost all locations in VII except Midgar - with each town being weirdly small, and with abysmal infrastructure both within and tying the locations together.

The lore and the world is extremely inconsistent in that sense, so I'm really confident that the world-map and selection of locations in the OG serves as a streamlined abstraction of the actual world, where we're not supposed to think that what is shown is actually all there is - but rather that what is shown is shown sparingly as it's what's most relevant to the plot, to save time and resources.

That's why I imagine that the remake is going to see some serious world-building overhaul, with each of the city/town locations seeing massive structural improvements, and the addition of more infrastructure tying the various places together -
everything from each town being made into actual town/city sized maps like you see in most open-world RPGs today, with roads and rail-roads tying them together.

If the design philosophy of FFXV is anything to go by, which it probably is considering that Nomura was the director for that first and the similarities in the game-play trailer between the two games, I think it's safe to assume the FFVII world is going to get similar treatment.

Mayo Master

Pro Adventurer
A similar problem is true for almost all locations in VII except Midgar - with each town being weirdly small, and with abysmal infrastructure both within and tying the locations together.

The lore and the world is extremely inconsistent in that sense, so I'm really confident that the world-map and selection of locations in the OG serves as a streamlined abstraction of the actual world, where we're not supposed to think that what is shown is actually all there is - but rather that what is shown is shown sparingly as it's what's most relevant to the plot, to save time and resources.

That's why I imagine that the remake is going to see some serious world-building overhaul, with each of the city/town locations seeing massive structural improvements, and the addition of more infrastructure tying the various places together -
everything from each town being made into actual town/city sized maps like you see in most open-world RPGs today, with roads and rail-roads tying them together.

If the design philosophy of FFXV is anything to go by, which it probably is considering that Nomura was the director for that first and the similarities in the game-play trailer between the two games, I think it's safe to assume the FFVII world is going to get similar treatment.
I certainly hope so, and I agree that FF XV design philosophy should give us pointers about how the world of FFVII will be designed in the remake.
For one thing I would very much like to see transportation infrastructure (railways and roads) which would make the world more believable, however it will require some serious revisions in terms of "level design" (or so to speak), because the OG railroaded the progression of the players through limitations in the means of transportation (which do not make much sense, from a world-building perspective).
As for urban environments, I'm not sure which design method they'll use. I think that the OG design is obsolete (as they're the stereotypical RPG-towns with the weapon shop, the item shop, the inn + 2 or 3 random houses, an acceptable standard at the time but definitely outdated now), and when you try to save resources by rendering only portions of a town (such as in FF X or FF XIII, and most cities from the Dragon Age franchise), IMO you fail to convey how a town feels like. I personally prefer the way towns are rendered in the Assassin's Creed franchise, which IMO convey a proper sense of scale and population, but it may be too expensive in terms of resources. I could live with the kind of compromise you have in FF XII, though.

Top Bottom