• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

What, Who and Where? Summons

Firstone33

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Daniel
Like seriously? What are they? We know in almost all games in ff series we learn of their origins and such example xiii they are the creations of etro and each represents their masters' personalities and struggles but vii is the only game that we know nothing on the origins of the summons or anything.

So the questions who what and where? Is asked one theory I heard long ago is that they were the souls of deceased cetra who fought jenova long ago, which I find interesting but that was in a fanfic but it is interesting and plausible since most materia is pure crystalization of the Lifestream aka mako also I think I read somewhere that the summon materia contained the souls of dead cetra which again makes that theory plausible.

One thing could be plausible is that the summons were guardians of Gaia like the weapons were, and they died but souls preserved in materia to live on i am being serious! What do you guys and gals think? What are your theories on vii summons I mean I cannot be the only one

Noble0ne

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Noble
•Fan theory wise, Summons where like recorded footage of events of bygone eras. Stuff like Leviathan and Knights of Round existed and became recorded in the lifestream, then were focused into materia/concentrated mako. I forgot Where that was brought up though... (So fan theory until I find out, but there is a chance they might want to make it cannon regardless)

•The ghosts playing chess in the Ghost Square of Gold Saucer appear to use pieces that are the summons from the game. ...(So it's a stretch but, evident they have been around a long time in FF7 history as strategic war figure)

•Director Yoshinori Kitase confirmed that, despite fan theories, the Knights of the Round are not the Cetra sealed away by Jenova.

On the theory that Final Fantasy VII’s Knights of the Round are really the Cetra that defeated Jenova a thousand years before the events of the game:

“Everyone’s thinking too deeply, reading between the lines too much,” laughed Kitase. “That makes it difficult because if you think about it that way, we might have to make it that way. That’s definitely not true.”

Kitase added that artist Tetsuya Nomura, best known as the director of Kingdom Hearts, created all of the summons in Final Fantasy VII. “They don’t have any background story attached to them,” Kitase said.

•It's a stretch to be related but, stick with me on this one. It's a lot of vague dots to connect a relation. anyhoo... I'm curious about the pre-Shinra era. Maybe there will be some FFX references due to the interview that confirmed that. and if that is the case then considering there are ayon summons on spira, then could be that they somehow came form spira and are ayons that the life stream trapped because of there foreign nature to Gaia... Witch brings me full circle to my first point... It's all Fan theory

on the theory that Final Fantasy X-2's Shinra character went on to start Shinra in Final Fantasy VII, meaning that both universes are connected:
I won’t completely come out and say that it is the same world,” said Kitase. “However, Shinra in FFX-2 was created by [Kazushige] Nojima, the scenario writer, and when he thought him up, he thought it might be good if people would imagine that after a few years after the story of Final Fantasy X-2, that person Shinra will grow up and start the Shinra company. So that is something that he did hint in there. That being said, I’m not gonna say that it’s the same.”

Firstone33

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Daniel
•Fan theory wise, Summons where like recorded footage of events of bygone eras. Stuff like Leviathan and Knights of Round existed and became recorded in the lifestream, then were focused into materia/concentrated mako. I forgot Where that was brought up though... (So fan theory until I find out, but there is a chance they might want to make it cannon regardless)

•The ghosts playing chess in the Ghost Square of Gold Saucer appear to use pieces that are the summons from the game. ...(So it's a stretch but, evident they have been around a long time in FF7 history as strategic war figure)

•Director Yoshinori Kitase confirmed that, despite fan theories, the Knights of the Round are not the Cetra sealed away by Jenova.

•It's a stretch to be related but, stick with me on this one. It's a lot of vague dots to connect a relation. anyhoo... I'm curious about the pre-Shinra era. Maybe there will be some FFX references due to the interview that confirmed that. and if that is the case then considering there are ayon summons on spira, then could be that they somehow came form spira and are ayons that the life stream trapped because of there foreign nature to Gaia... Witch brings me full circle to my first point... It's all Fan theory
I figured square would say something like that. But the main question is their origins and such I hope remake does have some sort of explanation though I hardly doubt and yeah though not a big x fan I hope that like with xii and tactics series they mention some connection

Firstone33

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Daniel

[/QUOTE what I am saying is I agree with you it is just fun theorizing shit like this lol

Firstone33

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Daniel
As mentioned by Noble0ne this is just fan theories I am open to any fan theory even debunked ones cause it helps in a way us have ffvii make a bit more sense even if none of the theories are true unless it is ffxv I had couple theories of it and they were true but this is ffvii the game that pretty much gave me reason to love the series and will always be number one

Suzaku

Pro Adventurer
FFVII Remake explains the historical origins of all the summons that appear in it:

Major Spoilers:

Chocobo & Moogle and the three DLC summons only have perfunctory descriptions, however the rest of the summons have both loading screen tips and tactical data (bestiary entries) that explain their origins (note that these are summaries, not word for word quotes):

Ifrit: A legendary incarnation of creation and destruction appearing as a great, horned beast, said to have given mankind the gift of flame.

Shiva: A legendary queen who staunched a wound in the world with a glacier, creating the permafrost still present in the polar lands.

Fat Chocobo: A popular god of harvests, fertility, and good fortune appearing in many folktales, beloved since time immemorial.

Leviathan: The patron deity of Wutai, appearing as a sea serpent. It was originally a water-deity worshipped by a cult founded to protect people from floods, mostly active in the Wutai region.

Bahamut: Dragon deities once worshipped by the world's earliest civilizations. According to oral tradition there are many kinds of Bahamut, each with unique appearances and functions. The ancients regarded Bahamut as a symbol of might and mainly worshipped it during times of war.

Top Bottom