• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

When do you think it will be released?

When will it be released?

Votes: 1 2.6%

Votes: 19 48.7%

Votes: 14 35.9%

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • 2020 (moved to Playstation 5)

Votes: 4 10.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
I've been off for a few days, is it official that they're outsourcing to CyberConnect2 now?

It's not official. Square Portal reported this but I have no idea where they got it from. I think devs at Cyberconnect2 said they'd like to work on the remake a while back or something or maybe it was one of the leaks before E3 but it's not official.

lithiumkatana17

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Lith
I want to be optimistic and say 2017 because of the 20-year anniversary and all that, but maybe 2018/2019 at the latest. But some of the other posters are right in saying that we don't exactly know when development on this project began, so 2017 isn't that far-fetched if you think about it.

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
I reckon 2057. Gonna get my grandkid to drive me down to GAME in their hovercar. :monster:

lithiumkatana17

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Lith
I reckon 2057. Gonna get my grandkid to drive me down to GAME in their hovercar. :monster:

HA! People in the nursing home are gonna hate me when if I'm up playing that shit late at night. Hopefully I don't suffer a heart attack when I see Aerith die again in glorious HD.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
Obituary. Gladys. Age 85. Survived by her cat Reeve. Cause of death: Could not handle FF7. Her body will be weighted and lowered into a bottomless pit of still water. We invite people in the community to pay their respects by poisoning the water with their black souls, and christening kidnapped children with it.

Ahem. 2018.

Eerie

Fire and Blood
I've been off for a few days, is it official that they're outsourcing to CyberConnect2 now?

It's not official. Square Portal reported this but I have no idea where they got it from. I think devs at Cyberconnect2 said they'd like to work on the remake a while back or something or maybe it was one of the leaks before E3 but it's not official.

They said 1 or 2 years ago that they'd like to do a remake since Squeenix didn't seem to want it themselves, but nothing else since. Honestly, I doubt more and more that they'd be outsourcing anything for FFVII, because it's such a title that they can't fuck with.

I'd like to believe it because it would mean Square could be faster on this, but yeah... I don't see it happening.

Claymore

3x3 Eyes
The CyberConnect outsourcing information was mentioned in a few different articles on various sites (including Kotaku and Eurogamer), but all references have now since been omitted, so I assume that this was an error on reporting because of their work on G-Bike and previous mentions of wanting to do a full game.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
Currently in a new play through... Good god there is a lot to this game. I might have to change my vote. There's just no way this will only take three years, even with the 18 month head start. To translate over 150 pre-rendered images into dynamic 3D environments... A novel-length dialogue script to vocalize... That isn't even mentioning the bestiary and NPCs to model and program. Yikes! I'm gonna hope for PS5, if it arrives early, what a happy surprise!

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
What I gathered (from the earlierst rumors, mind you) is that it's using the Unreal engine - which is solid and proven and shit, so rebuilding the whole engine (what Square has a tendency to do for every new FF game they shit out) won't cause a delay at least :monster:

Knights of the Round

Pro Adventurer
A lot of you are going to be disappointed. There's no way we see it.

Fixxed :monster:

Not sure what this has to do with actual development timelines. Not much, IMO.

I'm an Indie game developer, and while I don't work for a big studio, I understand that what they're doing with VII is an enormous undertaking.

- New 3D models for characters, vehicles, towns, cities, continents
- Motion capture for 50+ in-game characters
- Rigging and animation for 50+ in-game characters
- 7+ hours of voice acting for 50+ characters
- New CGI for hours of cut scenes
- Fully remastered soundtrack
- New game engine (Unreal will help with some of this, but you still have to write scripts that are compatible with it, new classes and libraries, etc)
- Debugging/testing an 80+ hour game

They may be able to source some things from XV, but if you want a game that looks its own, instead of a cookie-cutter copy of another, then a lot of this stuff will need to be redone.

Honestly, we should all hope it's 2018 as I think 2017 will be a rush job.

Top Bottom