Where Did Cloud Get the Fusion Swords?

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
Angeals mother claimed that the Buster Sword has been in Angeals familiy for generations. Since it takes a SOLDIER too wield it and SOLDIERs weren't around back then and his parents dubious backgrounds I'm gonna say the Buster Sword, which isn't exactly an easy weapon to wield was meant as a sort of test from Hollander, to what Angeal may or may not be capable off.

DrakeClawfang

The Wanderer of Time
The swords Cloud picks is directly related to his choice in men?

Actually, you're not far off. I'll summarize my hypothesis.

The Main Blade represents Cloud himself, while the five auxiliary swords symbolize those close to him: Tifa, Aerith, Zack, Denzel and Marlene. Over the course of the film, Cloud fights by connecting more and more swords to the Main Blade, which symbolizes his increased willingness to fight and protect his friends. Note how, as he fights Bahamut with his friends, he is seen connecting more and more swords to the blade to power up its strikes.

When Sephiroth appears, Cloud finally fights with all six swords connection, and when Sephy directly threatens them, Cloud unleashes Omnislash Version 5/6, and uses the six blades on their own and yet together, to strike down Sephiroth again.

Last edited:

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
Oh, she just says it's this familiy's pride. Now I'm just confused, Angeal's stepfather was a man of weak constitution. He lifting that sword would kill him.

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
So he worked and paid for it himself, considered it a family heirloom and stopped using it. That's the worst explanation i've heard yet. Please don't tell it's true.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Gah, they wanted to give their son an awesome sword as present since he made it into SOLDIER, so Angeal's father worked his ass off to pay for the sword and died from overworking himself. :monster:
That's what Angeal's mother says when you meet her.

Kuraudo

Ex-Soldier
AKA
Cloudsoul
I think in the Buster Sword (Fusion) theory is that perhaps the swordsmith created both swords and Cloud perhaps found this legendary Smith? Could be like the Masamune clan, 17 generations (or 19...or something I don't remember) but they've been making swords since then. Perhaps this is possible?

As for the Masamune....I wouldn't doubt if Sephiroth obtained it during a mission or Shin-Ra created it.

As for Ultima Weapon...wasn't the sword apart of his/her heart? I mean at least that's what I thought.

Bex

fresh to death
AKA
Bex
Hattori Hanzō made them after The Bride Cloud tells him of his intent to kill Bill Sephiroth, the big bad.

Alessa Gillespie

a letter to my future self
AKA
Sansa Stark, Sweet Bro, Feferi, tentacleTherapist, Nin, Aki, Catwoman, Shinjiro Aragaki, Terezi, Princess Bubblegum
Hattori Hanzō made them after The Bride Cloud tells him of his intent to kill Bill Sephiroth, the big bad.
Uma Thurman has a terrible Amurikan accent. "NAY-ZOO-MEE" plz.

RompFox

Lv. 1 Adventurer
I think in the Buster Sword (Fusion) theory is that perhaps the swordsmith created both swords and Cloud perhaps found this legendary Smith? Could be like the Masamune clan, 17 generations (or 19...or something I don't remember) but they've been making swords since then.

I actually think this could be plausible. What if Angeal's father originally commissioned the weapon, designs and all, to a legendary swordsmith, after it was finished, the smith enjoyed the weapon so much that he decided to improve on it. It makes sense that he would think since the weapon is highly unwieldly, that it could split off into more managable pieces, increasing its use-ability tenfold. Then, once seeing that the user of his original sword saved the world, he gave it up in a fit of huge generosity

Then, once seeing that the user of his original sword saved the world, he gave it up in a fit of huge generosity

Or Cloud just walked into his house, had a brief conversation with him about the purposelessness of all existence, went upstairs and into his bedroom, opened the wardrobe, took the sword and a megalixir he found there, and swiftly left.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
I actually think this could be plausible. What if Angeal's father originally commissioned the weapon, designs and all, to a legendary swordsmith, after it was finished, the smith enjoyed the weapon so much that he decided to improve on it. It makes sense that he would think since the weapon is highly unwieldly, that it could split off into more managable pieces, increasing its use-ability tenfold. Then, once seeing that the user of his original sword saved the world, he gave it up in a fit of huge generosity

The one thing that On the Way to a Smile was missing -- a scene like what you just described.

Or Cloud just walked into his house, had a brief conversation with him about the purposelessness of all existence, went upstairs and into his bedroom, opened the wardrobe, took the sword and a megalixir he found there, and swiftly left.

This here's canon, folks!

Gym Leader Devil

True Master of the Dark-type (suck it Piers)
AKA
So many names
I like Cloud stealing the Fusion Swords from the guy who forged the Buster Sword. It is an old tradition (at least in several fictional references I can think of) of master smiths that when you make a sword, you make two, one inferior which is sold as normal, and a perfected version which is kept as a showpiece to show off your skills or dedicated as a holy sword in a temple somewhere. Hell, Klepto Strife might have taken it from a shrine in Wutai where it had been placed in memory of the Midgar-Wutai war for all we know.

I admit, I used to have a silly theory about the Masamune (at least I thought it was silly, it closely echoes some things said here). Namely, that it and the Ultima Weapon were both forged during the war between the Cetra and Jenova, but none of them could actually use the Masamune, and The Planet, when it was making Ultimate WEAPON, somehow incorporated the Ultima Weapon into its form. Oddly I always figured it was one of the critter's claws. Anyway, the Cetra did somehow beat Jenova, so the WEAPONS all went to sleep in the Crater until needed again. But, what to do with the Masamune? It was essentially useless after all. So, when they sealed Jenova up, they basically nailed her to the rocks with it in hopes of keeping her "dead" as it were. When Shinra found Jenova and ran the Jenova project, they found this awesome weapon too, but again, no one could use it for shit. Blah blah, Jenova Project, Sephiroth is born, grows up, becomes the first SOLDIER, and of course they say "Hey, this dude we so cleverly created, who will of course never go crazy and try to kill us all, is like hella-strong. And we made him out of cells from that freaky thing we for some asinine reason thought was an Ancient, which is where we got this sword. Maybe HE can use it." And the rest of course was history. Like I said, silly and somewhat overly complex theory, but fuck it I was like 15 and over-thought things cause I wanted an explanation for this kinda thing damn it.

Gym Leader Devil

AKA
So many names
Hey, new related question about the Fusion Swords sprung up while I was waiting on posts to come up in other topics. At the end of AC/C Cloud wakes up in the Church completely unarmed after he and (presumably) all the individual swords got blown the fuck up. In DoC, however, Cloud is clearly wielding the First Tsurugi, so he has at least one piece of it at that time. Is it the same one, recovered from Midgar after the movie ended? Or did he have to start over from scratch and have a new one made?

Althea

Pro Adventurer
AKA
myfinalheaven
I agree with the idea that Cloud went back to the sword smith and had the fusion swords made.

As for Sephiroth, he won Masamune at the Golden Saucer :awesome:

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
Hey, new related question about the Fusion Swords sprung up while I was waiting on posts to come up in other topics. At the end of AC/C Cloud wakes up in the Church completely unarmed after he and (presumably) all the individual swords got blown the fuck up. In DoC, however, Cloud is clearly wielding the First Tsurugi, so he has at least one piece of it at that time. Is it the same one, recovered from Midgar after the movie ended? Or did he have to start over from scratch and have a new one made?

"Hey Cid, can I bother you to take me to the top of ShinRa Tower to grab my swords?"
"Way ahead a ya buddy. When we were looking for your sorry ass after you blew it up we decided we didn't want your last act on earth to be littering. They're in the umbrella stand."
"Thanks... I guess..."

Gym Leader Devil

AKA
So many names
Ryu, that was so perfectly in character for Cid that it equals win. Seriously. I mainly asked cause really who can say they were still atop Shinra HQ after that explosion? The shockwave could have blown them all over Midgar really, but yeah Occam's Razor says they're probably the same set.

Top Bottom