Who else fell for the same plot twist three times over?

Novus

Pro Adventurer
FF7- Cloud is a clone!!! (He isn’t but in this section the player doesn’t know any better, so take it from here).

FF9- Zidane is an Angel of death programmed to murder everyone!!!

FFX- Tidus is a dream!!!

I admit it, I fell for it three times over. Each time the twist hit me it brought me to tears and left me feeling isolated for a couple of days. Perhaps it was the amount of time between each game being made which allowed me to reset my sensory values.

Here are the clips to compare:

I was going to include Terra or Cecil but they aren't exactly negative revelations like the above three.

Last edited:

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
Those arent really the "same" three twists over. Especially the FF9 one lol.
There just twists lol.

Keveh Kins

Pun Enthusiast
I pretty much fall for every twist in every story, every time. It's rare I ever catch on to something beforehand and when I do its usually because the story isn't keeping me interested so my mind starts to wander. That said, I really don't want to catch out twists anyway. If I spent the whole story analysing it and trying to find clues leading up to the twist first time round then I think I'd be missing the point of the story - to enjoy it.

IX's twist with Zidane really threw me because his character doesn't fit the typical view of "Angel of Death". He was so chipper and laidback

Last edited:

Novus

Pro Adventurer
Those arent really the "same" three twists over. Especially the FF9 one lol.
There just twists lol.

You're thinking in terms of the actual content, it's more the character or the hero's journey being false that I was thinking. The ones purposely designed to dislocate you from the player. The fact Cloud is really just being summoned by Sephiroth, or Zidane is designed for soul hunting and Tidus not even being real.
Tidus and Cloud affected me most because Zidane's arc was resolved fairly quickly.

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
Amizon, Commander Shepard, Ellie, Rinoa Heartilly, Xena, Clara Oswald, Gamora, Lana Kane, Tifa Lockhart, Jodie Holmes, Chloe Price.
X > IX > VII would be how I rate the twists.

VII was just full of so much madness for me back when I played it in my younger days. I mean, yeah, good twist and all, but it feels too thrown in your face.

IX, I loved. Zidane took the news of being a puppet a lot more dramatically than Cloud did.

As for X, what can I say? To be told you're not real and a dream is more of a blow, as you're there with Tidus from the beginning. You're walking the journey in HIS shoes, as someone who knows nothing of Spira. It still breaks my heart when he disappears.

Kermitu Kleric Katie

KULT OF KERMITU
I almost never fall for plot twists, as I'm rally good at predicting future events in a story ahead of time. I can usually figure out what's a Red Herring and whatt's legitimate foreshadowing. Anyway, regarding these three twists, Cloud's was spoiled for me ahead of time, Zidane's somewhat surprised me(as in some aspects of the reveal I figured ahead of time, while others I wasn't expecting), and Tidus's I can't remember, but I'm pretty sure I didn't predict it ahead of time given how young I was when I learned he was a dream.

Clicky Person

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nanny Ogg
I had somehow managed to totally forget the Zidane twist. And that is my favorite FF game. I think I forgot on purpose.... Great now I'll have to wait even longer to replay the game.:wacky:

Yuri Lowell

Pro Adventurer
It's one of my favourite ever plot twists and ironically one I identify with on a personal level to some extent I couldn't really begin to talk about here (or want to.)

Xenoblade did it really well what with Shulk being a reanimated corpse for Zanza's soul harvesting and his entire quest simply being a staged lie to make him kill Zanza's enemies, then he finds himself while comatose after Zanza's ether leaves his vessel with Alvin's help and his own willpower. I really liked that.

Novus

Pro Adventurer
I think Cloud apologising to Rufus makes it the strongest iteration of it for me. The fact you later find him in a vegetable state adds to the trauma.
The 'you're not alone' sequence was very good though.

Top Bottom