Why don't you have a shoutbox?

Starling

Pro Adventurer
Are you sure it isn't just turned off in your options? It works fine for me. I was probably on during the spike in use. Wasn't it around the time Cthulhu asked everyone to get on the chat?

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
Amizon, Commander Shepard, Ellie, Rinoa Heartilly, Xena, Clara Oswald, Gamora, Lana Kane, Tifa Lockhart, Jodie Holmes, Chloe Price.
No, I demand the shoutbox be on the index page. And where did that old welcome/stats box go for that matter, how long has that been gone? You people are so blah.
I second this, although give people the option to open it in a new window at the same time. Then everyone's happy.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
IDK if the welcome back thing is on or off by default nowadays; I've got it off because it took up space and annoyed me, :monster:. I may have asked people to turn it off at one point, but, IDK. I probably did for the top 10 stats.

Also the chatbox should be awesome on mobile too, it's responsive design and shit :monster: (as in, no design. No design is responsive. See also: http://motherfuckingwebsite.com/

Starling

Pro Adventurer
I'm pretty sure one of the places that mention it recommends people who don't use it should turn it off because it's a drain on resources.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
It can be, but it kinda depends on a lot of stuff.

Right now I have it made that if nobody makes a post, it polls every couple seconds to ask if there's anything. If there isn't (which is determined by comparing a number your browser sends to a number stashed on the server), then nothing is returned. Probably cheaper than most shoutboxes for vB, since it doesn't need to access the database or any of that shit. Just 2 MB or so of memory usage, too.

Channy

Bad Habit
AKA
Ruby Rose, Lucy
I dont care. It's not what's familiar. I'll go get my bitchpitchfork and riot. :monster:

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
I did, I'm just confirming that I've noticed her reminder, :monster:. And appreciate it, fwiw. Keep it up :monster:

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
Amizon, Commander Shepard, Ellie, Rinoa Heartilly, Xena, Clara Oswald, Gamora, Lana Kane, Tifa Lockhart, Jodie Holmes, Chloe Price.
I think I'll join in reminding him, too. :awesome:

OT: I'd like to see a shoutbox as well.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
I have a shoutbox, sorta, I just need to make it integrate into the forum software and shit.

Channy

Bad Habit
AKA
Ruby Rose, Lucy
Shut up Mage, we're getting somewhere :monster:

Also, I hear Berlin is a great place for inspiration......of shoutboxes

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
It's not, it's inspiration to drink beer :monster:

Also IDK, I like to think it'd be easy enough to port over to Xen or whichever software we'll move to. If at all. (inb4 lex/flint)

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Instead of trying to reinvent the wheel and try to figure out vB's security thing and probably doing it wrong, I've just re-enabled our old shoutbox; we disabled it aeons ago because it was too heavy on the server, but since we have a new one now (and one that doesn't have a CPU limit causing the whole site to become unavailable for a while - see also Xelazander's grumble about 4 hours of downtime there), I figured might as well re-enable it. It's even got the old messages from back when :monster:.

It looks like shit though, if anyone can make better icons, plz gief.

I'll keep an eye on performance. I've also tried to download the latest version, but vb.org is giving me shit. Probably because I registered with my old hotmail account back when, :monster:

Fullscreen version is available hear: http://thelifestream.net/forums/mgc_cb_evo.php?do=view_chatbox

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
More like "oh shit I need to do this" and "Yeah okay I cba trying to implement vB's security thing for my own solution that is probably wrong and not as good anyway", :monster:

Ghost X

Telcontar2 has pointed out BBcode should be disabled in the shoutbox so people will be unable to post massive images in the shout box :monster:.

Telcontar2 has pointed out BBcode should be disabled in the shoutbox so people will be unable to post massive images in the shout box :monster:.

Yes. For example, images like this:

Banff_National_Park_-_Mount_Rundle_Panorama_-_100_MEGAPixel_(6093891258)_(2).jpg

Top Bottom