Votes: 26 40.0%
  • Kimahri

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Kobato

Pro Adventurer
had I answered this question a decade ago, my response would have been very, VERY different. In all actuality, I probably would’ve gone out of my way to discredit, devalue, and for lack of a better phrase, talk trash about Tidus. Of course, ten years ago I was in my mid-teens, and my outlook on life was vastly different. Back then, Tidus stood for everything I disliked about a certain group people in high school, and I’m most sure I would have brought that to the forefront of my discussion.

This is a excellent post and it's extremely well written, but black writing on a black background isn't a good idea xD

Azure Eternal

Lv. 1 Adventurer
Haha, sorry about the black font in my last post - I don't know how that happened! I'll just go ahead and post it again since I can't seem the edit the original. So here it is:

You know, had I answered this question a decade ago, my response would have been very, VERY different. In all actuality, I probably would’ve gone out of my way to discredit, devalue, and for lack of a better phrase, talk trash about Tidus. Of course, ten years ago I was in my mid-teens, and my outlook on life was vastly different. Back then, Tidus stood for everything I disliked about a certain group people in high school, and I’m most sure I would have brought that to the forefront of my discussion.

However, I’m no longer a teenager, nor do I carry with me the same attitude, stereotypes, resentment, and perspective about, what I would have referred to back then as, “jocks.” Now, I can appreciate and understand Tidus’ character on a much more humanistic level, without being clouded by my own personal judgments. I, now, defy my old self, and put Tidus at the top of my favorites list in terms of characters from X, for a few particular, but significant, reasons.

Firstly, I view Tidus as such a great character because of something I used to despise – his naivety. Not only is it charming, though somewhat annoying at first, it is used to move the story forward with a unique sense of elegance and finesse. Moreover, because of this naïve characteristic, Tidus comes across as very empowering, optimistic, and even inspiring on some level. He is someone who is constantly trying to see the glass as being “half-full.” Whether that’s because he’s a genuinely positive person all-around, or because he innately lacks the awareness of certain key points and the deeper significance of a situation, he nonetheless motivates the group on various occasions to keep pressing forward, regardless of the seemingly insurmountable obstacles that lay before them.

Not only does this naïve understanding of the world help instill confidence in his fellow compatriots, but it also allows him to possess an exclusive, and commendable, sense of empathy. This ultimately ties into Tidus’ amazing acts of altruism, and, as a result, gives us a character that is willing to sacrifice himself for the sake of others without desiring some sort of personal gain. His willingness to lend a helping hand, even if it means that some kind of harm may come to him, presents us with a truly selfless character whose wish to better those around him is uplifting, or at the very least admirable. It’s something that many Final Fantasy characters may possess to some degree, however, this quality is amplified in Tidus, due to how sincere his efforts are, and the expectations of receiving nothing in return.

This all is expertly crafted and extrapolated upon during the game’s defining moments when we find out about Tidus’ origins, and the stipulations put on his existence. This talked about naivety, and overall sense to do what’s right, is essentially jeopardized by these events. Though, while many other characters in the FF universe may have felt like the rug was pulled out from underneath them, Tidus ultimately took it in stride. He used this new found knowledge to make his remaining time better – making sure his life, and the impact of his actions, were meaningful to not only himself but to those around him. These events could have very well triggered something that turned him on his head, but instead, given the aforementioned qualities, Tidus recognizes his lack of control over certain elements of his life, and thereby takes control of the things that be changed and managed. Again, he uses this information to inspire himself, and the ones he has come to call friends.

Tl;dr – In the end, what starts out as Tidus’ weakest characteristic, is what eventually gives him the strength to go on and ultimately save the world. It is because of these discussed endearing qualities that I can now, without hesitation, call Tidus my favorite character from a game I never thought I would praise in the way I do today.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I learned it as Teedus long before I ever played FFX so fortunately I never had to wrestle that issue.

Although, once again, I was always amazed by my friend who would argue tooth and nail that it was "Tide-us" but would say You-fee, which is just as [English] phonetically incorrect as Teedus.

AvecAloes

Donator
Like Force, I heard Tidus's name pronounced well before I played the game. Same with when I played VII (Yuh-fee), and I can't say I ever would have even thought to pronounce "Chocobo" as anything different than what (I believe) Flint is saying with "Choe-ko-boe". Although looking at it now and thinking about it, I can see why someone might pronounce the first syllable similarly to the first syllable in 'chocolate'...

Fangu

Great Old One
"Tee-dus" is the way a Norwegian would pronounce "Tidus" anyway. Same with "Yuh-fee" (but with a harder f - "Juffi", but not with a typical English 'u', you have to pucker your lips much more). I won't even get into how I pronounce "chocobo". I guess you guys would find it somewhat hilarious. :P

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I always said "Choke-uh-bo." (Besides, then "Boko" wouldn't rhyme :) )

And "you-fee" is the correct way, technically, but in spelling it "Yuffie" instead of "Yufi" they made it have a short U in English. I was just always amazed by the native english speakers the knew nothing of Japanese and said it with a long U anyway.

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
Huh. My brother and I always pronounced it choco-latebo (chock-uh-boe, I guess - I'm not good at writing things phonetically), I just assumed everyone else did too.

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
I normally like Wakka-type characters in FF games, but I'm too anti-religion to like him specifically.
I know he changes when you meet Yunalesca, and it's pretty cool that he does, but by that point 95% of the story is already over.

Masamune

Fiat Lux
AKA
Masa
I always liked Rikku for the fact she wasn't your typical 'Genki girl'. Squenix (well, Japan) have such a hard-on for this trope, with the likes of Selphie, Vanille and Yuffie (post-FFVII) taking turns as ditzes and clown shoes. Rikku was more down to earth, less affected and overall a more likeable character.

Then X-2 rolled around...

Vixenish

Rinoa ACF/FFOF
AKA
Rinoa
I think Lu and Wakka are the only characters that didn't get ruined by X-2 tbh. And that's only because they settled down had a kid and played a minor role.

Top Bottom