Your favourite FFXII character

Who is your favourite character in Final Fantasy XII?

• Vaan

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • Penelo

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Balthier

Votes: 18 37.5%
  • Fran

Votes: 4 8.3%
  • Basch

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • Ashe

Votes: 8 16.7%
  • Reks

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Larsa

Votes: 5 10.4%
  • Vossler

• Reddas

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Vayne

• Other (who?)

Votes: 5 10.4%

• Total voters

Celes Chere

Banned
AKA
Noctis
I voted Larsa, I absolutely adore him. c: I love pretty much everyone in XII though... I think there's only two characters I don't really care for. I think my second choice would definitely be Balthier. Or Vaan (inb4 omg Vaan is sooooo boring)

Dark and Divine

Pro Adventurer
AKA
D&D
For me, it was Dr. Cid.

Not only he was the first antagonist Cid in the series, but a very good one at that.

So, I vote "other"! :monster:

Tifabelle

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Tifabelle, Nathan Drake, Locke Cole, Kain Highwind, Yamcha, Arya Stark
Balthier :3

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
Ugh, Balthier. Cool for half an hour, then painful to listen to for the remaining 50+ hours of the game. I was so fed up of him and his "ooh, look at me, I'm so suave" attitude by the end. He was not the leading man - Ashe and Basch were just about the only two characters in the game who actually had a reason to be there and do the things they did (temporary characters excluded). Other things that annoyed me about him were that he was always so condescending towards Vaan, and that he kept so many secrets about his past. But mainly it was because he tried too hard.

Basch would be my choice if I could only choose from the main cast of characters, but in this poll I am voting for Reddas. I thought he had a really interesting back story, which was clearly visible in his personality and his actions. He had a huge desire to make amends for his past, and eventually managed to do so (tragically). Everyone at the Port at Balfonheim speaks of him glowingly. One of the few characters from that game that left an impression on me. And I would like to see more black characters in FF games.

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
I had to vote for Balthier, though I woulda gone with Gabranth if I had the option.

stiles

Call me a TREASURE HUNTER!
AKA
Locke
all of them I vote for all of them <3 the whole cast is my favorite!

Fran is my final answer.

Vixenish

Rinoa ACF/FFOF
AKA
Rinoa
I didn't care for vaan at all. I just couldn't relate to him at all, throughout the game it just felt like he didn't have any skin in it. Really lame.

I remember loving ashe though...But I honestly couldn't give you a summary of that game. I just know I beat it.

Danseru-kun

Pro Adventurer
Voted for Ashe. I love it that she fights as a young widow whose kingdom was invaded. I like her maturity and her guts. Also, her wedding dress and mourning attire are very beautiful.

Edley

Pray for Sound
AKA
Issac Dian, Dudley, Chev Chelios
Judge Magister Gabranth. Because he's Scottish and dominates the screen everytime he's on it. I like Balthier, but I feel a bit like his performance is too much like Cary Elwes in the Princess Bride.

On a side note, there are aspects of this game that are so fucking win, but somehow it didn't all come together. Like watching an off broadway Shakespeare production.

Masamune

Fiat Lux
AKA
Masa
Despite its detractors, I firmly believe that FFXII had an understated cast. Characters felt like real people and didn't spend every other cutscene telegraphing their emotions. They had nuances to them that were evidently lost on some people. Oh, and ofc, a lot of fans were let down by the lack of swashbuckling romance. :joy:

And yeah, maybe Vaan wasn't the most compelling protagonist in FF history, but I'd sooner take the naive everyman over frickin' Squall. :monster:

Anyway, fave character:

I'll be a total whore and say Balthier. Yes, he's suave, irresistible and dapper and all that jazz. Nevertheless, there's more to him than those superficial qualities. He's the de facto leader of the party, with worldly experience beyond his years, providing the gang with valuable insight and candour. And there's a touch of pathos with his strained relationship with his father, the eccentric Dr. Cid. I think their final exchange said much more than any 'NOOOO FATHER! LUVVV MEEEE!' baww that probably would've happened if this was another FF.

I also enjoy Basch for being, what I find to be, a deconstruction of the archetypal white knight. Basch finds himself disgraced by Vayne's machinations and has to win back the trust of his kingdom, namely Ashe. Even when Basch does inevitably reclaim his honour to Dalmasca, he must face his own personal demons. While he may have left Landis with good intentions, he nevertheless abandoned his family and left his brother for the clutches of the Empire. Yet Basch makes no apology for this, for he has learned to accept the consequences of his actions, come what may. However, the least he can do for his brother is fulfil his dying wish.

Then, of course, there's Gabranth, a character who cannot let go of his past. A lot of the angst towards his brother is actually the projection of his own failings. He convinces himself that what he's doing (being the Empire's bloodhound, dancing to Vayne's tune) is justice and somehow vindicates his own betrayal. However, during the game, we watch Gabranth carefully unhinge until he finally cracks, realizing the error of his ways and spending what life he has left to protect Larsa.

Also: Fran, Vayne, Dr. Cid, Vossler, Larsa, Reddas, and that hot pirate chick in Balfonheim.

DrakeClawfang

The Wanderer of Time
Voted Ashe. She wants her homeland restored and the Empire to pay, not only for the destruction of Dalmasca but for the death of her husband and father. The problem is pursuing blind vengeance is going to cause an even more chaotic war than the first that will burn down what's left of her home, and more than likely will get her killed in the crossfire. Thus she has to learn that what she wants isn't what's best for her people, and has to reconcile her lust for revenge and power with the safety and future of Ivalice. Not many females in Final Fantasy are this morally or emotionally complex.

Also Ashe is the heroine of Final Fantasy XII, she's not caught up in a whirlwind of events that fly over her head like some of the other heroes, she knows what she's up against, what she's doing, why, and what she hopes to accomplish. Ashe is proactive, she's not going to just go along with the plans of others, she wants to make her own path by proving her strength and resolve even as people doubt her.

And fine, being gorgeous doesn't hurt. :monster:

Tifabelle

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Tifabelle, Nathan Drake, Locke Cole, Kain Highwind, Yamcha, Arya Stark
And yeah, maybe Vaan wasn't the most compelling protagonist in FF history, but I'd sooner take the naive everyman over frickin' Squall. :monster:

Speaking for myself, I don't hate Vaan's personality. I mean, I like him well enough. My problem with Vaan as a character is his insignificance in his own game as a main character. He was sort of a tag-along that ultimately had very little business traveling with the others. (and that goes with Penelo as well, but she gets a pass since she's not the main character.) and also I like vanelo

On a side note, I think Ashe or Basch would have been second-place choices for me.

Purple

Charmed
Balthier. Shame they didn't explore much about him or everybody else, actually. Makes me want a sequel actually but that's never going to happen

Lumina

a pokémon.
AKA
Bayleef, Jessica
Ashe for being my alter ego.

In a very close second place would be Balthier. Gabranth, Larsa, Dr. Cid Bunansa go right after. This game got very good characters... well only a few got my attention tbh

Top Bottom