The Final Fantasy VII LTD Thread (Round 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tifabelle

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Tifabelle, Nathan Drake, Locke Cole, Kain Highwind, Yamcha, Arya Stark
No, she doesn't, since she's out of the sustaining suit at the very end of the game. The Omega incident seems to have altered her body, restarting her growth and breaking her Mako addiction.

How's that?

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
How's that?

I'm not entirely sure how, since they never explain, but we do see her outside of the suit that was previously mentioned as required for her to remain functional at the end of the game when she meets Vinny outside the cave.

My guess is the pure lifestream shower jumpstarted whatever it was that the earlier treatments broke, ending her dependence on Mako baths.

Think of it like a diabetic who no longer needs insulin because the body's functions that insulin replaced are now working again... somehow.

Tifabelle

Pro Adventurer
AKA
I'm not entirely sure how, since they never explain, but we do see her outside of the suit that was previously mentioned as required for her to remain functional at the end of the game when she meets Vinny outside the cave.

My guess is the pure lifestream shower jumpstarted whatever it was that the earlier treatments broke, ending her dependence on Mako baths.

Think of it like a diabetic who no longer needs insulin because the body's functions that insulin replaced are now working again... somehow.

So this is one of those, "Just believe" type things. I remember her being out of the suit, which led me to believe she'd be fine. I just don't quite understand how.

So this is one of those, "Just believe" type things. I remember her being out of the suit, which led me to believe she'd be fine. I just don't quite understand how.

Presumably, the 'lifestream rain' from the defeated Omega Weapon is very pure (not perfectly pure though, due to events in the game I can not recall). Assuming that the more pure the spirit energy is the greater the health benefits, maybe her previous mako treatments can not create the same type of mako/spirit/lifestream energy.

I also recall the developers saying that Shalua *may* have been cured by the lifestream rain, but this has been left unresolved due to the lack of sequels taking place after DoC.

Tifabelle

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Presumably, the 'lifestream rain' from the defeated Omega Weapon is very pure (not perfectly pure though, due to events in the game I can not recall). Assuming that the more pure the spirit energy is the greater the health benefits, maybe her previous mako treatments can not create the same type of mako/spirit/lifestream energy.

I see what you're saying. So she's going to grow normally then? Interesting.

I also recall the developers saying that Shalua *may* have been cured by the lifestream rain, but this has been left unresolved due to the lack of sequels taking place after DoC.

O rly now? Fascinating. I hadn't heard that. This was in an interview?

Splintered

unsavory tart
That's what I thought. Just a plot hole.

Then again, I try my best to ignore anything related to DoC, so I wouldn't have bothered to figure it out anyway.

Ryushikaze

AKA
Tim, Ryu
That's what I thought. Just a plot hole.

No. It's not a plot hole. It's an ass pull and a deus ex machina, but not a plot hole. A plot hole would be the villains needing, say, Vinny, for their goals, then without rhyme or reason suddenly proceeding with them anyways even without him.

If Shelke'd doffed the suit before the giant deus ex event, yes, it would be a plot hole. But not as it stands.

Splintered

unsavory tart
No. It's not a plot hole. It's an ass pull and a deus ex machina, but not a plot hole. A plot hole would be the villains needing, say, Vinny, for their goals, then without rhyme or reason suddenly proceeding with them anyways even without him.

If Shelke'd doffed the suit before the giant deus ex event, yes, it would be a plot hole. But not as it stands.
You know what I mean, be quiet English major.

Ryushikaze

AKA
Tim, Ryu
I'm fairly ok with handling plot holes. They're everywhere, and the more complicated a story is, the more plot holes there are.

Well, not everything is a plot hole, but yes, they tend to crop up in big stories.
SW has a department whose job is 'find the plotholes, close them as best you can.'

I wouldn't mind a sequel. Ha. I'm one of the few. So long as it's better than DoC.

Wouldn't be hard.

Yes, yes. All perfect circles are Holy.

It's not even a perfect circle. It's flattened on the bottom.

Tifabelle

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Given the monument in AC/C, it probably just is Meteor, and people are reading way too much into thinks like random circles and fekakte crystals.

But it's too perfect to be random!

But seriously, dude, looks like space junk to me.

null

Mr. Thou
AKA
null
Hey fuck y'all, I like reading into random circles. :offended: This dot is the best thing to happen to the LTD since coke cans and red ribbons.

Ryushikaze

AKA
Tim, Ryu
Hey fuck y'all, I like reading into random circles. :offended: This dot is the best thing to happen to the LTD since coke cans and red ribbons.

Not coke tote bags?

I am amused how Coke Merch counts, but actual S-E merch doesn't.

Because I do still get folks trying to claim the merch is Clerith every now and then.

Alessa Gillespie

a letter to my future self
AKA
Sansa Stark, Sweet Bro, Feferi, tentacleTherapist, Nin, Aki, Catwoman, Shinjiro Aragaki, Terezi, Princess Bubblegum
It's not even a perfect circle. It's flattened on the bottom.
what. It's a perfect circle dude, unless you happen to have some sort of eye issues that prevent you from seeing it. In which case, I am sorry, dude.

But it's too perfect to be random!

But seriously, dude, looks like space junk to me.
to quote myself from earlier, if it's space junk where the shit is the rest the junk surrounding meteor besides the tail. There's a tail! There is a random circle that is apparently flattened if you have bad eyesight! There is meteor! Herp de derp.

I do not know if the random circle is meant to be holy or black materia or what, but it looks like materia to me.

EDIT: MOREOVER HOW THE SHIT WOULD IT BEING/NOT BEING HOLY PROVE ANY PAIRING WHATSOEVER WHAT THE SHIT

null

Mr. Thou
AKA
null
what. It's a perfect circle dude, unless you happen to have some sort of eye issues that prevent you from seeing it. In which case, I am sorry, dude.

to quote myself from earlier, if it's space junk where the shit is the rest the junk surrounding meteor besides the tail. There's a tail! There is a random circle that is apparently flattened if you have bad eyesight! There is meteor! Herp de derp.

I do not know if the random circle is meant to be holy or black materia or what, but it looks like materia to me.

EDIT: MOREOVER HOW THE SHIT WOULD IT BEING/NOT BEING HOLY PROVE ANY PAIRING WHATSOEVER WHAT THE SHIT

I love reading your posts in Tali voice.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
That whole argument is 2 degrees removed from the LTD. The logo including Holy was being argued to justify that Cloud's crystal in Dissidia was Holy.

It was being argued that Cloud's crystal in Dissidia was Holy because...well Holy belongs to Aerith so it must have had something to do with the LTD.

Ryushikaze

AKA
Tim, Ryu

Setting aside that you can't actually have a physically perfect circle, it's not. Certainly not in the Logo Zee linked to, where it is a bit oblate on the bottom. Spheroid, but oblate.

You say 'herp de derp', but argue it's an object at least ten to twenty orders of magnitude smaller than Meteor and thus would be invisible.
People are looking too hard at this shit.
And taking themselves way too fucking seriously.

Yeah, but so does the big one if you look at it enough.

Don't know, don't care. Just don't think it's the white materia.
And because it still fucking irritates me, The White Materia IS NOT HOLY.

That whole argument is 2 degrees removed from the LTD. The logo including Holy was being argued to justify that Cloud's crystal in Dissidia was Holy.

It was being argued that Cloud's crystal in Dissidia was Holy because...well Holy belongs to Aerith so it must have had something to do with the LTD.

Which gets back to ANOTHER thing that fucking irritates me, justifying an assertion with FURTHER ASSERTION which is what all this Logo and Symbolism shit winds up being and why I really just fucking want to stick to the goddamn fucking facts.

Splintered

unsavory tart

Kind of.

The argument stemmed from the frustration that fandom believes that anything associated with Aerith and/or Tifa is automatically romantic.

The best examples of these are the very loose connections between characters in AU games (or games outside of the continuity). I made the example of Dissidia that things that should not be taken in romantic context, was. There are a great deal of continuity nods within Cloud's story, and I made the argument that Holy was one of them.

I guess I should have phrased it better so that it was obvious that some people didn't think his crystal was materia, but the general idea is that a lot of people believe that the materia Cloud has his holy (for some from freaking obvious reasons).

And then we got into the materia fight, with people trying to degrade Holy's role in the story and the symbolism in the game (COME AT ME) to prove that there is no possible reason Dissidia would ever want to put holy in there and it never crossed their minds. Or something.

The whole issue is kind of ironic actually. Because the whole reason it was brought up was to explain that these continuity nods don't equal romance. Which everyone agrees with. We just don't agree on the lesser details of what are the continuity nods.

EDIT
Don't know, don't care. Just don't think it's the white materia.
And because it still fucking irritates me, The White Materia IS NOT HOLY
Semantics.

It summoned holy.

Last edited:

Alessa Gillespie

a letter to my future self
AKA
Sansa Stark, Sweet Bro, Feferi, tentacleTherapist, Nin, Aki, Catwoman, Shinjiro Aragaki, Terezi, Princess Bubblegum
I still think it's the moon. *shrugs*
yer mothers face is the moon

Setting aside that you can't actually have a physically perfect circle, it's not. Certainly not in the Logo Zee linked to, where it is a bit oblate on the bottom. Spheroid, but oblate.
ff7-logo.jpg

i see no flat side to the circle idg what you are talking about

You say 'herp de derp', but argue it's an object at least ten to twenty orders of magnitude smaller than Meteor and thus would be invisible.
People are looking too hard at this shit.
And taking themselves way too fucking seriously.
it could be the black materia, since it's really fucking huge

also ARTISTIC LICENSE HAS DONE MANY THINGS FOR THIS GAME SUCH AS GIVEN AERITH AND SEPHIROTH PERFECTLY SPIKED BANGS. A GIANT MATERIA DOES NOT SEEM THAT IRRATIONAL :awesome:

Vendel

Banned
The argument stemmed from the frustration that cleriths believe that anything associated with Aerith and/or Cloud is automatically "clerith".

Fixed that for you.

And then we got into the materia fight, with people trying to degrade Holy's role in the story and the symbolism in the game (COME AT ME) to prove that there is no possible reason Dissidia would ever want to put holy in there and it never crossed their minds. Or something.

It didn't cross their minds enough to list it as a reference in an ultimania.

Ryushikaze

AKA
Tim, Ryu
Kind of.

The argument stemmed from the frustration that fandom believes that anything associated with Aerith and/or Tifa is automatically romantic.

The best examples of these are the very loose connections between characters in AU games (or games outside of the continuity). I made the example of Dissidia that things that should not be taken in romantic context, was. There are a great deal of continuity nods within Cloud's story, and I made the argument that Holy was one of them.

I guess I should have phrased it better so that it was obvious that some people didn't think his crystal was materia, but the general idea is that a lot of people believe that the materia Cloud has his holy (for some from freaking obvious reasons).

And several people point out that this reeks of being a 'just so' story. For freaking obvious reasons.
Firion, OK, Cecil, and Bartz and Squall, to name 5.

There's a reason SE might do it. I just don't think they DID.

The whole issue is kind of ironic actually. Because the whole reason it was brought up was to explain that these continuity nods don't equal romance. Which everyone agrees with. We just don't agree on the lesser details of what are the continuity nods.

Well, when CORNELIA CASTLE is worth pointing out as a nod but not what crystals are a nod to, I'm'a err on the side of 'not really that much of a nod'

EDIT
Semantics.

It summoned holy.

If folks can get pissed when Squall is called Leon, I can bitch when they call Materia by the spells they cast.
They're the black and white materia. They are not Meteor and Holy. They cast Meteor and Holy, but they are not the same thing.
A pistol is not a bullet.

ff7-logo.jpg

i see no flat side to the circle idg what you are talking about

Flattened or Oblate, not 'flat.' Meaning off circular due to a wider curvature arc.
Of course, this discussion reminds me that the big thing in the logo is un-missing the rocky bits of Meteor.
That version of the logo is closer to 'round' yes. The version Zee posted had a more deformed circle.

it could be the black materia, since it's really fucking huge

also ARTISTIC LICENSE HAS DONE MANY THINGS FOR THIS GAME SUCH AS GIVEN AERITH AND SEPHIROTH PERFECTLY SPIKED BANGS. A GIANT MATERIA DOES NOT SEEM THAT IRRATIONAL :awesome:

Nor does space Ejecta. And space Ejecta or an object like the moon is a lot more parsimonious than MegaMateria.

I mean, we're going with made up shit either way. Might as well go with the one that doesn't require massive inflation of an object or two distinct vops.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom