FFVII Character Details, Easter Eggs, and General What-the-fuckery

Captain Jack Harkness

not a out-of-bounds guy
AKA
4nn4-chan, Loras Tyrell, Loki
damn. today, before reading the topic, i played the honeybee inn scene for fun and i've realized the same thing.
poor Cloud.. it would be as traumatic as being experimented by Hojo..
(if was Seph, instead of Mukki, surely will be better.. at least Seph is 30 and is sexy..)

Sylvie

フォースイー&#
AKA
Sylvie
Mukki wants you to be his dicksucking offspring. He wants you to call him "daddy".

Captain Jack Harkness

not a out-of-bounds guy
AKA
4nn4-chan, Loras Tyrell, Loki
uhmmm.. first raped by mukki, after cross-dressing and at the end Corneo try to having sex with him.... surely worst day ever for Cloud...

Sylvie

フォースイー&#
AKA
Sylvie
Ladyboy Cloud is my favorite kind of Cloud. I'd take good care of him.

Sikozu

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Sylphide
I have a question about the Aerith's "ghost" glitch. I'm playing VII right now, and was heading back into Midgar to get Tifa's final weapon. I went into the church to see Aerith's ghost because I've never done it before.

But to me it doesn't look like Aerith's sprite. It looks like the same sprite as the little girl next to the flower bed. Her sprite(the little girl's)also shakes around a little every time I enter the building(at the same time the "ghost" is there), but the boy's doesn't.

Lex

Administrator
It's definitely Aerith's sprite. For one thing, the children in the church you can speak to afterwards mention you making the "flower lady disappear" and also it's far more obvious in a modded PC version.

What I find curious about that scene is why she's there continuously the very first time you go in UNTIL you move up the screen, and every subsequent visit thereafter she just flashes up and disappears right away.

Sikozu

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Sylphide
Yeah. Aerith definitely appears. I just got confused because the only thing I ever heard was that when you go back and enter the church, Aerith is in the aisle for a second. But when I entered Aerith wasn't appearing, it was the little girl's model blinking around.

I found another thread here explaining it and watched some youtube videos after I posted. ^^

Thread being phoenix downed, because it just occurred to me to wonder:

Why does Shinra keep a train at the Corel reactor? The track is clearly not maintained, the coal mine is shut, and the railway just runs out at North Corel; there aren't even any buffers, the track simply breaks off. So why the train? What is it used for? What goods does it transport? What is the point of it?

The only explanation I can think of is that there's a Railsways division of the Department of Transport at Shinra, and at some desk in some little cubbyhole of that division sits a forgotten salaryman who was hired to supervise the Corel Line in the days when the mines were still open, and even though the mines are closed now and Corel has been destroyed, this salaryman continues to run his pointless train back and forth, back and forth along what remains of his line. He's doing his job, and in the bloated, dysfunctional dis-organisation that is Shinra Inc, it's nobody's job to stop him.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
That has ALWAYS bothered me -- that there is no actual way that a train could pass through Corel Mountain, if only for all the (treasure-laden) pitfalls all over the roller-coaster tracks, but also the SUSPENSION BRIDGE between the reactor and tent city.

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
Or for that matter, the location of North Corel in relation to the original Corel's location. That entire area is a massive location goof.

JBedford

Pro Adventurer
AKA
JBed
What I don't understand is that if you catch up with the train and then jump on, the driver will crash. Even if you've just standing at the back, the train will crash into North Corel. If you never catch up, the train doesn't crash into North Corel. The train is just never seen again.

Unless the driver saw the player jump onto the train and then //deliberately// crashed, it doesn't make sense. I imagine the idea was that the player will usually get to the driver and kill him and then fail to stop the train-- but that is not a requirement for the crash-event.

SirVival

Pro Adventurer
Or for that matter, the location of North Corel in relation to the original Corel's location. That entire area is a massive location goof.
That is very true. I always had problems defining the old Corel-town (underneath Gold Saucer) from the new one, or even what the hell is going there. I mean, it is obvious that after the Shinra-made-havoc people of the old Corel moved next to the mountains. But I was never able to understand why is that place still such a mess? Why does that place, as well as the original Corel, look destroyed? I mean, they've had some years to build some new looking buildings, but instead they prefer to live in this pile of tents and rubbish. Probably they just enjoy to spend their time groveling about their history, like drama-queens who never cease to complain, "Bohoo Barret this and Barret that". That hatred was so wrongly directed, that even today I'm not certain if the staff really aimed for this kind of stupidity, or if they were just under-appreciating their audience.

The other thing, which probably everyone has already noticed, is the distance. In the world-map there is a long distance between these towns. This distance is comparable with the trip from Junon to Costa Del Sol. What the hell are they using the ships for? Why not just install that blue-Ropeway from Junon to Costa del Sol? Maybe it's about the money? Hell, even the cheap-ass-bridges from Wutai area are almost long enough to cover this huge leap between the main islands. ?!?

But world map, got to love it!

You'll have noticed that you have to transition from one screen to another in order to get from North Corel to the ropeway station. Well, my headcanon states that the walk from one screen to the next takes about an hour and a half, and that just out of sight beyond the frame of the ropeway station screen is a gigantic coach-car park, a Travelodge, and a Denny's.

I had a new thought about the train. Maybe the train is kept in the reactor as a kind of relic or curiosity. It hasn't actually run for years. But after Meteor appeared, the monsters started going wild, and they invaded the Corel reactor. Maybe they were drawn by the giant materia? Anyway, Cid, Vincent and Barret's (my A-team) visit to Corel just happened to coincide with this monster invasion. The guy driving the train was using it in an attempt to escape from the monsters - that's the reason the train is infested with monsters. And he brought the giant materia with him because he is a devoted Shinra employee. And the train crashes not because I can't master this mini-game, but because the locomotive has been out of service for so long that its gears have rusted.
And now I'm done.

CameoAmalthea

Pro Adventurer
But I was never able to understand why is that place still such a mess? Why does that place, as well as the original Corel, look destroyed? I mean, they've had some years to build some new looking buildings, but instead they prefer to live in this pile of tents and rubbish.

If we look at other towns that were destroyed, such as Kalm and Nibelheim, we'll see that those towns look good as new. If you didn't have insider information about the fact these towns were destroyed, you'd never know. However, unlike Corel, Kalm and Nibelheim were inadvertently destroyed when something went very wrong so Shin-ra has an interest in rebuilding and covering up the incidents.

Corel, on the other hand, was deliberately destroyed. Shin-ra had no reason to rebuild. Without aid from Shin-ra, the survivors from old Corel probably don't have a lot of resources to rebuild. Seriously, what's the main enterprise of this town? Where would they money for new building materials and construction? Honestly, a good portion the town is most likely made of those who could not afford to just move somewhere else.

Licorice, your devoted Shinra employee deserves to have a fanfic written about him.

Resurrecting this to ask...

wBi01s9.png

I can understand if the intention was for them to be polar bears...but at the most, they look like polar bears standing upside-down. Could they be something else or are they just poorly drawn polar bears?

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
White totem poles maybe?

Although with it being Gold Saucer, I don't really even try to apply logic to the Cocobo Races course...

JBedford

Pro Adventurer
AKA
JBed
I thought they were yetis. Standing on their hands?

I made this assumption when cycling through the sprites used in the Chocobo minigame.

Yeti-ffvii-choco.png

I don't think think they're meant to be upside down.

Thinking about it though, polar bear is probably a better guess.

@JBedford128

Did you rip the texture directly from the game or did you edit a game snapshot to get that image? If the former, what program did you use?

It certainly looks a lot more like a polar bear when turned so it stands on its hind legs. How silly... Polar bears standing upside down. That's awesome.

JBedford

Pro Adventurer
AKA
JBed
Extracted from the appropriate LGP, then viewed the TEX files. I think Biturn reads TEX files so I probably used that, but the program doesn't work on my computer anymore.

JBedford

Pro Adventurer
AKA
JBed
So I was making a video simply showing the different outcomes of the Fort Condor Huge Materia mission, when a thought came to mind.

Naturally, as part of the research I was looking at the criteria for digging up Phoenix (and Bahamut ZERO), and I noted that the thing that decides whether you can dig up Phoenix, other than place excavated, Buntline obtained, and PPV post Disk 2 Midgar, is whether the Phoenix flag is on, which is turned on when either the Phoenix Materia is excavated or when it is obtained from Fort Condor.

I actually recorded all the footage for the video when I thought "What happens if I don't pick up the Phoenix Materia after completing the mission?". Turns out you can ignore it, and I went off and did North Corel HM mission and could still access the door.

So I checked the Phoenix flag: not used anywhere else. And I noted the Materia in Fort Condor is placed when a different flag is off. The flag is the "seen the Condor fly away" check, which gets turned on at the same time as obtaining the Phoenix Materia from Fort Condor, but NOT from Bone Village.

So I then played through the rest of Disk 2, excavated the Phoenix Materia, then returned to Fort Condor aaaaaannnndddd.... A second Phoenix Materia.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCRt0DCffsk

Of course it's mostly pointless. You have to wait until Disk 3 to use Phoenix at all, and you could just master the first to get a second. But it is a thing and I don't think people know about it.

Last edited:

ForceStealer

Double Growth
My original playthrough of FF7 I somehow did not go out the door after that sequence, despite the guy telling you to go look. Stupid 11-year-old I guess. And it wasn't until disc 3 when I was wandering the world which I did a lot just because I loved it that sauntered out there and got the materia. That Condor chick was sitting there all that time :P

I certainly didn't excavate Phoenix though.

So here's a question I've been meaning to ask for a very long time...

Does Nanaki's tattoos make any sense whatsoever?
RedXIII-FFVIIArt.png

THE QUESTION: Is it possible in real life to make tattoos so that when your hair grows out, a different color grows out with it? I don't exactly get the impression that it's the tattoed skin we see and that no hair grows from these parts.

SKXahrV.png

Top Bottom