Star Wars: Episode 7, 8... and BEYOND!

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
Thank you very much. I often see 'bad editing' come up as a criticism (in general, not this discussion), but people rarely elaborate on why and how. So that was most helpful.

Still think the prequels deserve far more credit than they get, though. The hate is one of the most toxic things any fandom's ever done where no one died (as far as I know). Must get around to watching Sith.

Absolutely! (On a personal note, it's something that I think about a lot with the first DM that I ever played D&D with. He was amazing at world-building and creating stories and settings, but they were only really good when he let the players control things more than railroading a storyline in his brain exactly as he saw it).

One of the best things to do with giving the Prequels a fair shot is watch the original cuts of Star Wars. Then watch the Special Editions. That'll show you where George Lucas' weaknesses come in (the want to connect his grand design together more tightly, and the need to insert more lighthearted comedy, when the humor already exists).

Then, watch the prequels, and imagine that his editor would take out few, small unnecessary lines, cut together moments so that they flow together more naturally, rather than intercutting back-and-forth in "real time" for things, and also trimmed the goofy comedy but leaving the humor intact. (The best example, is that you can tone back Jar-Jar ever-so-slightly, and he's not really obnoxious at all. So long as you allow him to still be generally clumsy & problematic he's amusing, but it's the bits on top of that that make it irritable).

At any rate, that's what I mean when I talk about Lucas' editing. It's also why I think that Clone Wars and Rebels are so brilliant, because Dave Filoni is the student & close to being the protege of Lucas, so he can craft Lucas' visions into things that really work – ALL of the Mortis stuff in Clone Wars that's coming back to Rebels was all directly from George Lucas, and the Story Group growing out of that relationship is why I implicitly trust them with Star Wars. George was really all about telling a hero story and filling it with the things that made up the Star Wars universe and making you love them and wonder about them.

To loop this back into the topic at hand, the new filmmakers who're tackling the films have very specific stamps that really define their work.

When it comes to the IHE video, I think that the best points he makes are looking at 7 & 8 (and Rogue One) as MOVIES first, since TFA is a very "J.J. Abrams mystery box" film, and TLJ is a very "Rian Johnson difficult twisting expectations" film – and that's very clearly why they were originally picked as directors for their individual pieces of the new trilogy (and Star Wars story). I tend to think of J.J. Abrams as being very excitedly focused on, "What's this? What's that?" in his storytelling, whereas Rian Johnson is much more of a painfully introspective "Why IS the story this?" in his approach. I think that looking at those two things makes a HUGE difference in what you're getting out of from both of those films. (Additionally, I'd say that Gareth Edwards is very much all about focusing on strife of a tiny group confronted with pivotal roles in monumentally overwhelming circumstances: Monsters, Godzilla, Rogue One).

Basically, with the approach to making the new Star Wars stuff, it's difficult to just look at it through the lens of "A Star Wars film" because that's a much more broad lens than it was when it was all George, and The Last Jedi is the first step that's really got a different focus than anything else before it has had.

tl;dr – If I had to break down the fundamental driving question that the trilogy directors focused on, and why they feel the way that they do – I'd put it this way:

• George 4-6: Who?
• George 1-3: How?
• J.J. 7: What?
• Gareth: Who?
• Rian 8: Why?

It's obviously a VAST oversimplification, but I think that if you go into those films looking for different questions, they'll fundamentally have less to give you, ESPECIALLY after the Original Trilogy, but if you go with those questions in mind, you'll pull a lot more out of them, because that's fundamentally tied more closely to the storytelling mindset of the director at the helm. It also probably helps explain why (nostalgia calls notwithstanding) Rogue One feels more like the other Star Wars films so far.

X :neo:

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
Hmm. I may need to reflect on that for a bit.

I'm finding this whole thing interesting to contrast with my reaction to the DCU, because for BVS I was on the other side of the fence (after second viewing, true). I prefer not to dislike things, really, but when a work takes shots at other things that tends to make me put on my sceptical goggles. I'm sorry if I'm taking over the thread.

Like I keep saying, I watched Menace and Clones lately, and was honestly surprised at how good they were. I sincerely felt that Anakin/Padme in Clones was cute. No, really. I'm not joking. I have nothing against Jar Jar. Almost all the criticisms seem to be more about preference than faults.

IHE makes some good points, but loses a lot of credibility when he starts making the exact same cheap jabs he's complaining about re TLJ in reference to the prequels (Aside, Yoda's duel in Clones was a fantastic character moment for me, not anything that ruined the character.) Because everything he's saying about TLJ applies to the prequels, but he's okay with those cheap and inaccurate jabs.

Different movies have different approaches, which is fair enough, but if it's in the same series continuity is still a concern. Minor discrepancies are inevitable in a universe this big, but it's important to keep in mind what came before when making part 8 of a series, and if you're taking jabs at previous instalments, make sure they're actually accurate.

I have preferences and biases like anyone else (I know, you're shocked), but I'm mostly setting that aside in all these stupidly long posts. I'm engaging with what the film is trying to do.

TLJ was trying to subvert expectations,

And for what it's worth, it mostly didn't subvert mine. I knew Kylo would have to build himself back up after his defeat in TFA, which meant taking a big scalp. Holdo having a plan, Rey being nobody, Finn's fakeout sacrifice, none of them really surprised me. So this isn't about my theories not being met or being huffy things didn't go the way I wanted.

(I should admit at this point that Luke at the end did completely blindside me, even though I wondered where he got the lightsabre.)

I had a couple of theories, but nothing I was super invested in or was bitter didn't pan out.

What else was TLJ trying to do?

Make big thematic messages. I like the themes, I could get behind them...if they were better executed.

TFA: The New Republic are overtly pacifist and minimise their fleet.
TLJ: They're warmongers now! Screw continuity, we need a theme about arms dealers.

Prequels: Force sensitives having particular lineage is very very very rare. Lineage isn't everything even if you do have it, it doesn't stop you being repeatedly delimbed by a better fighter.
TLJ: We need to move away from that outdated idea that Force sensitivity is bound to lineage, that only important lineages do important things. Screw you prequels!

Rose: We need to stop exploiting animals for our own benefit.
Finn: We literally just rode one to escape.

"We win by saving what we love, not destroying what we hate."
" Nearly all of us are dead, and our biggest victory was a destructive suicide attack.(which is okay when one character does it, but not another ten minutes later). The whole 'saving people' policy didn't really work out.'

That's not me asking the wrong questions. That's the film not executing its own themes properly.

It's also offputting to have Rey's training be limited to lectures about how much the Jedi suck, which is never contradicted or argued against by anyone.Even Yoda agrees.

There are a lot of stupid criticisms, because that's what Star Wars fans do, but there are a lot of substantive criticisms that are being lumped in with them.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Prequels: Force sensitives having particular lineage is very very very rare. Lineage isn't everything even if you do have it, it doesn't stop you being repeatedly delimbed by a better fighter.
TLJ: We need to move away from that outdated idea that Force sensitivity is bound to lineage, that only important lineages do important things. Screw you prequels!

Are you sure you're not confusing what the film was trying to do with what a (likely) minority of fans (who drastically misunderstand the previously established details of the setting) are saying?

Clem said:
Rose: We need to stop exploiting animals for our own benefit.
Finn: We literally just rode one to escape.
That strikes me as a bizarre reading of that scene ...

Clem said:
" Nearly all of us are dead, and our biggest victory was a destructive suicide attack.(which is okay when one character does it, but not another ten minutes later). The whole 'saving people' policy didn't really work out.'

How was taking out Starkiller Base "a destructive suicide attack"? Or do you mean
taking down the Dreadnought, which was definitely not treated as a victory, even right after it happened?

Orrr do you mean Holdo's sacrifice, which no one but her could have prevented, and which needs to be analyzed in light of the events bookending it -- i.e. the Dreadnought run, the Fathier liberation, Rose saving Finn from ramming that cannon, and Luke doing what he did?

Clem said:
It's also offputting to have Rey's training be limited to lectures about how much the Jedi suck, which is never contradicted or argued against by anyone.Even Yoda agrees.
I thought you wanted accuracy? :awesome:

If you'd have preferred someone to say "Here, follow this dogma that created Darth Vader," though ...

Last edited:

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
Tres hit the first two solidly, but I wanted to add to the last two.

How was taking out Starkiller Base "a destructive suicide attack"? Or do you mean
taking down the Dreadnought, which was definitely not treated as a victory, even right after it happened?

Orrr do you mean Holdo's sacrifice, which no one but her could have prevented, and which needs to be analyzed in light of the events bookending it -- i.e. the Dreadnought run, the Fathier liberation, Rose saving Finn from ramming that cannon, and Luke doing what he did?

That's different because
Holdo is in a position where she HAS to be a single, non-heroic sacrifice for them to escape as a part of a well-calculated plan — piloting the ship away to draw the First Order off. It's not a heroic sacrifice or one that involves violence, but once of practical necessity. She is always going to die to make the plan succeed, regardless of how she dies, that's decided in advance.

It's only when all the chips are down and every bluff attempt fails that she takes the Kamikaze attack opportunity. That's even prefaced by Leia saying, "She cared more about saving the light than seeming like a hero." There's a whole explanation about WHEN those sorts of crazy self-sacrifices are acceptable to juxtapose them against all the other other failed or interrupted examples from the film. That's the whole point.

Tres said:
Clem said:
I thought you wanted accuracy? :awesome:

If you'd have preferred someone to say "Here, follow this dogma that created Darth Vader," though ...

It's because if you look at the history of their deeds, THEY DID. It's all about that, and using that to learn from failure. Kind of the central message of the film of how to be better than what came before. It's the best teacher and the role of all masters to be overcome after all.

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
RE: Prequel Editing here is my post from some time ago regarding this

https://thelifestream.net/forums/showpost.php?p=679369&postcount=908

While this isn't something that is unique to George I do feel he over used splicing takes to save time and ultimately it made for very awkward scenes that further exacerbate the "wooden" acting. Rewatch the prequels and look for splicing around common blending areas (Hair, arms, legs , extremities in general) they are fucking everywhere.

Simply put scenes aren't going to mesh well and lead to wooden acting if every take has shots from Actors doing different takes. It's not natural and imo is a big reason why so many lines came off as just awkward.

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
Are you sure you're not confusing what the film was trying to do with what a (likely) minority of fans (who drastically misunderstand the previously established details of the setting) are saying?

It doesn't seem to be the minority. Moviebob's video mentions it, so does that Kojima article linked earlier, a couple of things I linked, and X was arguing it earlier. I could find you some more if you like, it seems to be the general interpretation of the last scene.

That one was half a joke, but
Rose makes a big deal out of taking off the saddle to symbolically free the racing dog-horse after they've used it themselves to try to escape.

How was taking out Starkiller Base "a destructive suicide attack"? Or do you mean (SPOILER) taking down the Dreadnought, which was definitely not treated as a victory, even right after it happened?

I'm referring to Holdo's kamikaze run, contrasted to Finn and Poe (Dreadnought and cannon). The film tries to pain the latter two as gloryhunting or being bloodhungry, when their motivations and actions are exactly the same as hers. They're trying to save lives, not be heroes or destroy the FO.

Poe's stated motivation for going after the dreadnought is because it's a 'fleet killer', and it end up being destroyed an instant before it fires on the Resistance fleet. It also means that the 'fleet killer' ship is not available to kill the fleet in the subsequent chase.

Finn isn't going for the cannon because he hates it or wants to die gloriously, his motivation is the same as Holdo's, saving the Resistance. Rose stops him, which results in Luke having to do the exact same thing (sacrificing his life to delay the FO and give the others a chance to escape) a few minutes later.

I thought you wanted accuracy?

(SPOILER) If you'd have preferred someone to say "Here, follow this dogma that created Darth Vader," though ...

He gives her three lessons.

1.Reach out, feel the force, understand that it doesn't belong to the jedi and they're not necessary, and anything else is vanity.

2. The failures of the Jedi.

3. Deleted scene, about how Jedi only act to affect the balance and are otherwise happy to let tragedies happen (which we have never seen any Jedi preach or act on before, as far as I know.)

As for the dogma that created Darth Vader, if they'd acted according to dogma, he never would have been trained. You can blame rogue Jedi Qui Gonn for that, binding Obi Wan to his dying promise to train him which means Anakin was going to be trained regardless of what the Jedi did.

Also, you're underselling the role of Palpatine in his creation there. What's the accurate version, then?

It's because if you look at the history of their deeds, THEY DID. It's all about that, and using that to learn from failure. Kind of the central message of the film of how to be better than what came before. It's the best teacher and the role of all masters to be overcome after all

Failure is an important lesson, but it's not the only lesson. The only lesson's Luke teaches are the Jedi failures. The successes are also important, and the Jedi Order's eventual destruction shouldn't make everything they did worthless. A thousand years of peace is not so worthless to those living through it. She took the Jedi texts from thousands of years ago, but that's still a rejection of everything that happened since then (because she learned nothing but failure from Luke.)

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X

It doesn't seem to be the minority. Moviebob's video mentions it, so does that Kojima article linked earlier, a couple of things I linked, and X was arguing it earlier. I could find you some more if you like, it seems to be the general interpretation of the last scene.

Tres was referring to the fact that you're hyperbolizing it to the point of ridiculousness when he said, "who drastically misunderstand what the established details of the setting are saying." so, especially since you mentioned that I was arguing it earlier, I'll break it down again:

Clem said:

In the prequels, Force Lineage is explicitly forbidden by the Jedi, so we NEVER see an example of it or what it's like. Ever. It's never even talked about once. To add to that, Force Power ≠ combat capability with a lightsaber.

You keep conflating the two and attempting to point to that as being somehow indicative of Anakin not being as strong in the Force, when it literally isn't that at all. Anakin is bested in lightsaber combat by people with years or even DECADES more experience than him, because – that's generally how Combat works, because it's all about training. Anakin's having been defeated before is fundamentally not a part of the point that's being made about his Force Lineage being exceptionally powerful with the Force, because that's something that you just get and it's set. You can become better in TUNE with the Force, but never more POWERFUL in the Force. That's why it's Force Sensitivity, and not Force Lightsaber Skills. It's a ceiling that Force Users are born with.

• The Prequels: All about how Palpatine guided Anakin to his side. He goes after Anakin explicitly because of Anakin's incredible power, and his potential as the chosen one*. That uniquely strong sensitivity to the Force is heavily reiterated, with him literally being conceived from the Force creating him through immaculate conception, comparisons to his midi-chlorian count being greater than that of any Jedi EVER – even Master Yoda (who's history is so mysterious it's literally off-limits from being told), and other things like that to accentuate how his connection to the Force is exceptional. Sidious and Vader manage to destroy the entire Jedi Order that stood for 1000 years.
*(It's also worth bringing up Clone Wars' Mortis episodes about Anakin as the Chosen One here, since George Lucas wrote those as well, and the end of Rebels is going to be revisiting it).

• The Original Trilogy: Anakin's two kids rebelling against their Father's destructive work. Luke learns to be a Jedi from the only two remaining Jedi in the whole galaxy. Luke manages to use the Force to do what every other Jedi in the order failed to do by overcoming both Vader AND Sidious, and destroying the Sith. (Two Skywalkers are now responsible for – nearly destroying the Jedi, saving the Jedi, and destroying the Sith). It ends with, "The Force is strong in my family" and leaves foreshadowing about passing on that knowledge and power to his sister, Leia.

So, yeah. The first 6 films HEAVILY establish the idea of an extant Heroic Royal Force Lineage when Episode 6 ends. The Skywalker family have the most raw Force Sensitive potential the galaxy has ever seen, that connection to the Force "runs strong in their family," and they are the only ones who can train anyone else in the Force after them. There is no way anyone can receive more training than the Skywalkers posses or can give out, and no indication that there could EVER be anyone as powerful as them – unless the Cosmic Force decides to Deus Ex knock up another Virgin Mary with a Space Jesus.

• The New Trilogy: Introduces the biggest up-front threat being a part of that same lineage with Kylo Ren, who is focused specifically on his connection to Darth Vader, and TLJ even directly addresses that with Snoke's, "RAW UNTAMED POWER" & "Mighty Skywalker Blood" lines. It teases about Rey's origins when Anakin's lightsaber calls out to her, she's able to stand up to Ben invading her mind. Instead, it's revealed Rey's bloodline origins are shown to be irrelevant, and her Force Potential is tied directly into the Cosmic Force establishing balance to the Skywalkers by awakening the Force in her as a balance to Ben.

The new film isn't at all about "screw you prequels" at all. It relies HEAVILY on what they established as flaws in the Jedi's dogma leading to their downfall, and brings up issues present in the Galaxy that went unaddressed by both the Old Republic AND The Empire.

It IS also about dismantling the idea that the maximum potential of Force Sensitivity is immutably bound to the Skywalker bloodline. It's showing how the cosmic Force can move beyond midi-chlorians genetic transmission being "strong in their family" and awaken with that same potential strength in ANYONE – Even if they have regular nobody parents, and weren't just immaculately conceived by the Force Itself.

That one was half a joke, but
Rose makes a big deal out of taking off the saddle to symbolically free the racing dog-horse after they've used it themselves to try to escape.

Yeah. It also carries them on its own, and the message is about taking them out of an environment where they're literally physically abused for sport. If you're gonna make jokes in the middle of honest points, I'd always amend them with "/sarcasm" or something, because SO many of the points are hyperbolized to ridiculous levels that it's difficult to assume anything like that isn't just being leveled as an actual criticism.

I'm referring to Holdo's kamikaze run, contrasted to Finn and Poe (Dreadnought and cannon). The film tries to pain the latter two as gloryhunting or being bloodhungry, when their motivations and actions are exactly the same as hers. They're trying to save lives, not be heroes or destroy the FO.

Poe's stated motivation for going after the dreadnought is because it's a 'fleet killer', and it end up being destroyed an instant before it fires on the Resistance fleet. It also means that the 'fleet killer' ship is not available to kill the fleet in the subsequent chase.

Finn isn't going for the cannon because he hates it or wants to die gloriously, his motivation is the same as Holdo's, saving the Resistance. Rose stops him, which results in Luke having to do the exact same thing (sacrificing his life to delay the FO and give the others a chance to escape) a few minutes later.

I did already address that, so it's worth repeating my previous post:

That's different because
Holdo is in a position where she HAS to be a single, non-heroic sacrifice for them to escape as a part of a well-calculated plan — piloting the ship away to draw the First Order off. It's not a heroic sacrifice or one that involves violence, but once of practical necessity. She is always going to die to make the plan succeed, regardless of how she dies, that's decided in advance.

It's only when all the chips are down and every bluff attempt fails that she takes the Kamikaze attack opportunity. That's even prefaced by Leia saying, "She cared more about saving the light than seeming like a hero." There's a whole explanation about WHEN those sorts of crazy self-sacrifices are acceptable to juxtapose them against all the other other failed or interrupted examples from the film. That's the whole point.

To add on a little bit extra from other things you mentioned:
First and foremost: Poe and Finn are both EXPLICITLY COMMANDED BY THEIR SUPERIOR OFFICERS NOT TO. That's as important a message as ANY in the film, and is SPECIFICALLY a message when it comes to taking actions of self-sacrifice. I also went over in my tl;dr write-up about the fact that Poe's attack on the Juggernaut is only the right move by pure chance, and that Finn's is the right move from his motivations of what he learns about being a hero, but not what the film has gone to demonstrate is meaningful over the developments with all of the other characters.

Secondly: Holdo & Luke's options of self sacrifice that they take on are also NOT attacks. They take up roles as decoys knowing that they are likely to die from them.

- Holdo was a decoy meant to run away as far as possible and be destroyed. That's the mission that she undertook, and the one that she discusses with Leia. It's not seen as being heroic, but she is undertaking a mission to save lives by giving her own, and she has approval to make that necessary sacrifice and their's weight given to the reasoning for it. It BECOMES an attack when the plan fails (as a result of Poe describing it over an open communication channel), and all other options are exhausted, Holdo is literally already in a position where she won't survive and so she sacrifices her life in an attack, rather than as a decoy. There are VERY big differences in her actions and the others that're all core parts of the narrative.
- Luke was never physically present, and his self-sacrifice is explicitly important for that reason because that's ALSO how he overcame the Emperor – by throwing down his lightsaber and refusing to fight, which was able to turn his father back to the light. Luke's sacrifice is what Holdo's was meant to have been – provide a distraction while the remnants of the resistance are able to sneak away.

I thought you wanted accuracy?

(SPOILER) If you'd have preferred someone to say "Here, follow this dogma that created Darth Vader," though ...

He gives her three lessons.

1.Reach out, feel the force, understand that it doesn't belong to the jedi and they're not necessary, and anything else is vanity.

2. The failures of the Jedi.

3. Deleted scene, about how Jedi only act to affect the balance and are otherwise happy to let tragedies happen (which we have never seen any Jedi preach or act on before, as far as I know.)

As for the dogma that created Darth Vader, if they'd acted according to dogma, he never would have been trained. You can blame rogue Jedi Qui Gonn for that, binding Obi Wan to his dying promise to train him which means Anakin was going to be trained regardless of what the Jedi did.

Also, you're underselling the role of Palpatine in his creation there. What's the accurate version, then?

And the point is that she openly calls him out where those lessons aren't accurate.

1. That's a lesson about the nature of the Force itself, and an important one. It's also about the dogmatism of the Jedi being problematic, but it's a lesson that teaches Rey about what the Force really is. It's not JUST a lesson about failure at all. It's primarily about the true nature of the Force.

2. This is where he gets into the problems of the Jedi and hubris, which are important. At the same time, she also uses it to call him out by pointing out that while it was a Jedi Master who trained Darth Vader, it's also a Jedi Master who saved him. She's showing that the Jedi are more than just their checkered, dogmatic, legacy.

3. You're VASTLY misrepresenting the lesson here. The deleted scene is he tells her that raiders are coming to the Caretaker village, and so long as they allow it to happen some will die, but it will be minor, but if they intervene, the raiders will send even greater amount of troops and the situation will escalate. Rey runs down anyway, and discovers that they aren't raiders at all, but they're actually just the males returning from their long journeys out to sea where they get food for their families. It's a lesson about thinking that you know what to do and violence as a solution. HOWEVER – Given that it's all based on descriptions of hearsay at this point, there's no point in trying to dissect the message from the Third lesson until the novelization of The Last Jedi is released in March, since that part WILL be included there.

It's worth noting that Luke failed to lift an X-Wing out of a swamp, and also in the Dark Side cave, so teaching through forms of failure really isn't anything too new. Luke's issue in 5 on Dagobah all came down to one exchange: "I don't believe it" – "and THAT is why you fail."

Rey's different. She intrinsically believes in her own abilities. She's just afraid of them, and learning how to control them. That's why what NOT to do is the most important lessons for Luke her – especially since she is LITERALLY the foil to Ben's power. Rey's story is all about Luke's own hubris and shortcomings, that have presented an issue that Rey has to overcome, while Ben's focus has always been to overcome what Vader failed to do, and how those two things conflict with one another but need to find balance.

It's because if you look at the history of their deeds, THEY DID. It's all about that, and using that to learn from failure. Kind of the central message of the film of how to be better than what came before. It's the best teacher and the role of all masters to be overcome after all

Failure is an important lesson, but it's not the only lesson. The only lesson's Luke teaches are the Jedi failures. The successes are also important, and the Jedi Order's eventual destruction shouldn't make everything they did worthless. A thousand years of peace is not so worthless to those living through it. She took the Jedi texts from thousands of years ago, but that's still a rejection of everything that happened since then (because she learned nothing but failure from Luke.)

As I got into above, he doesn't JUST teach failures – but the failures are very important to what he passes on, and because of where he is in his own character development, he focuses on them but Rey stands up against them, so that BOTH OF THEM are able to learn. That's especially clear because of the conversation between Luke and Yoda. She didn't JUST learn failure from Luke. She learned what the failures were, but she ALSO embraced the successes and showed Luke that they were worth keeping the Jedi for. It's not a rejection of everything that's happened since then at all. It's embracing the values that the Jedi stood for, rather than tossing them away because of what they actually were.

It's like when you learn that the founding fathers of America weren't all great and unassailably noble and heroic figures of yore. It tempers your understanding with reality and shows the dangers of reality. But there's no reason you can't aspire to build something on the foundation of what they stood for, even if they weren't what they were romanticized to be.

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
and they are the only ones who can train anyone else in the Force after them. There is no way anyone can receive more training than the Skywalkers posses or can give out, and no indication that there could EVER be anyone as powerful as them – unless the Cosmic Force decides to Deus Ex knock up another Virgin Mary with a Space Jesus.

Not "they", Luke is the only one that can train to be a Jedi after ROTJ because he was the only Jedi after ROTJ, Leia is a possible recipient of said training being sensitive to the Force. Nothing in these movies subverts that. And the Emperor was, is and seemingly always will be the most powerful Force user in canon and not because his position as a lowly senator had been such a irreplacable opportunity to gain experience with the Force as opposed to a Jedi, let alone a Jedi General actively fighting the war. He just wanted it more, that was enough.

First and foremost: Poe and Finn are both EXPLICITLY COMMANDED BY THEIR SUPERIOR OFFICERS NOT TO. That's as important a message as ANY in the film, and is SPECIFICALLY a message when it comes to taking actions of self-sacrifice. I also went over in my tl;dr write-up about the fact that Poe's attack on the Juggernaut is only the right move by pure chance, and that Finn's is the right move from his motivations of what he learns about being a hero, but not what the film has gone to demonstrate is meaningful over the developments with all of the other characters.

Secondly: Holdo & Luke's options of self sacrifice that they take on are also NOT attacks. They take up roles as decoys knowing that they are likely to die from them.

- Holdo was a decoy meant to run away as far as possible and be destroyed. That's the mission that she undertook, and the one that she discusses with Leia. It's not seen as being heroic, but she is undertaking a mission to save lives by giving her own, and she has approval to make that necessary sacrifice and their's weight given to the reasoning for it. It BECOMES an attack when the plan fails (as a result of Poe describing it over an open communication channel), and all other options are exhausted, Holdo is literally already in a position where she won't survive and so she sacrifices her life in an attack, rather than as a decoy. There are VERY big differences in her actions and the others that're all core parts of the narrative.
- Luke was never physically present, and his self-sacrifice is explicitly important for that reason because that's ALSO how he overcame the Emperor – by throwing down his lightsaber and refusing to fight, which was able to turn his father back to the light. Luke's sacrifice is what Holdo's was meant to have been – provide a distraction while the remnants of the resistance are able to sneak away.

The First Order' fleet killer having potential to act as the killer of Resistence's fleet after having been brought there by the Resistence's enemiez to participate in a battle between the First Order and Resistance's fleets is NOT "random chance", it was always perfect possible and everyone involved knew it. It's capabilities for destroying the Resistance is why it was there. Taking it out was a calculated risk, same as Holdo counting on the First Order not bothering with lifeboats they are perfectly capable of detecting (or even scouting the planet the Resistance flagship risked everythimg to reach afterwards). And kamikaze attacks are not solely the domain of people that have a route to safety open to them otherwise.

2. This is where he gets into the problems of the Jedi and hubris, which are important. At the same time, she also uses it to call him out by pointing out that while it was a Jedi Master who trained Darth Vader, it's also a Jedi Master who saved him. She's showing that the Jedi are more than just their checkered, dogmatic, legacy.

Anakin was restored by his loving son, something neither Anakin or Luke's Jedi training can claim any credit for.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
and they are the only ones who can train anyone else in the Force after them. There is no way anyone can receive more training than the Skywalkers posses or can give out, and no indication that there could EVER be anyone as powerful as them – unless the Cosmic Force decides to Deus Ex knock up another Virgin Mary with a Space Jesus.

Not "they", Luke is the only one that can train to be a Jedi after ROTJ because he was the only Jedi after ROTJ, Leia is a possible recipient of said training being sensitive to the Force. Nothing in these movies subverts that. And the Emperor was, is and seemingly always will be the most powerful Force user in canon and not because his position as a lowly senator had been such a irreplacable opportunity to gain experience with the Force as opposed to a Jedi, let alone a Jedi General actively fighting the war. He just wanted it more, that was enough.

"They" being the Skywalkers in this case. At the end of RotJ, Luke is poised to train Leia, but either way, the statement is still true. By the end of this film,
Rey is left with about as much formal training as Luke had somewhere between Empire and RotJ. Where IX picks up is anybody's guess, but if there's a time gap like it's likely there will be – she's a non-Skywalker Jedi capable of training others, who possesses all of the ancient Jedi texts – so yes, the film has already subverted that established hierarchy.

Palpatine was exceptional at emotional manipulation of individuals, and playing chess with armies – even without using Force techniques like Mind Tricks. Politicking is what managed to get him most of his power, including swaying Anakin to his side, and keeping his apprentice under his command. HOWEVER, it's never once suggested that Palpatine is more powerful with the Force than Anakin. Palpatine was very powerful with the Dark Side, using Force Lightning and throwing senate seats, because his powers are fueled by his Dark Side emotions. On top of that, he's already old for a human, and there was a whole entire period where he studied under Darth Plagueis, and learned many MANY things about the Dark Side before killing his master. Plenty of experience for a Sith Lord, even compared to the battle-worn Jedi Master Generals of the Republic.

Even Palpatine overcoming another old, wise, and strong opponent in Yoda is explained if you look at what Yoda says in The Empire Strikes Back,
• Yoda: "Anger, Fear, Aggression: the Dark Side of the Force are they. Easily they flow, quick to join you in a fight."
• Luke: "Is the Dark Side Stronger?"
• Yoda: "No. Quicker, easier, more seductive... ...when you are calm, at peace, passive. A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, NEVER attack."

That's an even larger point to remember when you look at Luke's final act being one ONLY of Defense and not of Attack. Luke's pursuit of knowledge initially made him lose faith in the Jedi, but you can see it restored when he uses it to defend his friends.

The First Order' fleet killer having potential to act as the killer of Resistence's fleet after having been brought there by the Resistence's enemiez to participate in a battle between the First Order and Resistance's fleets is NOT "random chance", it was always perfect possible and everyone involved knew it.

No, it ABSOLUTELY wasn't.
Everyone in the Resistance was retreating from the base, they were going to board the entire fleet into the capitol ships, jump into hyperspace, regroup, and plan a coordinated attack or next plan of action. There was no reason to engage the Juggernaut then and there – and again – he was explicitly commanded not to by his superior officer. It only ends up being the right choice, because the First Order could track them in real-time through Hyperspace, which NO ONE was expecting.

It's capabilities for destroying the Resistance is why it was there. Taking it out was a calculated risk, same as Holdo counting on the First Order not bothering with lifeboats they are perfectly capable of detecting (or even scouting the planet the Resistance flagship risked everythimg to reach afterwards).

The unarmed transports that the Resistance were going down to Crait on were using cloaking systems to hide from the First Order detecting them. The First Order would never have detected them on their own. It's only when DJ sells them out to save his own skin by telling them to run a particular type of scanner sweep for that (which he knows about because of overhearing Poe discuss the plan) that they're detected and start being shot down.

And kamikaze attacks are not solely the domain of people that have a route to safety open to them otherwise.

Discussing when and where it's appropriate to sacrifice your own life in a conflict is literally one of the core concepts of the film that's explored in excruciating detail. Dying just to destroy what you hate being one that's outright rejected, as well as causing heroic sacrifice when betting solely on crazy odds. So... You're just wrong there because of literally the entire narrative of the film about heroic sacrifice. I don't even really know what else to say here.

Anakin was restored by his loving son, something neither Anakin or Luke's Jedi training can claim any credit for.

Anakin was saved by his son, completing his final trial to become the last Jedi, and embracing Yoda's teaching about Jedi only using the Force for knowledge and defense, and using that teaching and believing that the Light in Anakin was still redeemable. That's ABSOLUTELY something that Luke can claim credit for AS A JEDI. It's Luke being a Jedi as the Jedi were meant to be which is literally the whole point that Rey is making when bringing that up.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias

Even if not -- and I'm not entirely sure it can't claim any credit since Luke realized he was about to kill Vader in a moment of rage-fueled Dark Side -- it is the moment where Luke affirms what being a Jedi means to him:

::Luke tosses his lightsaber aside::

Luke: "I'll never turn to the Dark Side. You've failed, your highness. I am a Jedi, like my father before me."

Whether that was part of what incited Vader to return to being Anakin is unclear, but it certainly couldn't have happened otherwise.
----

Even if it weren't the minority, they're still drastically misunderstanding -- which I attribute to them and not the movie. There's absolutely no reason to take such an understanding from the movie itself.

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
"They" being the Skywalkers in this case. At the end of RotJ, Luke is poised to train Leia, but either way, the statement is still true. By the end of this film, Rey is left with about as much formal training as Luke had somewhere between Empire and RotJ. Where IX picks up is anybody's guess, but if there's a time gap like it's likely there will be – she's a non-Skywalker Jedi capable of training others, who possesses all of the ancient Jedi texts – so yes, the film has already subverted that established hierarchy.

Luke passes on what he learned to Rey, which is exactly what he was expressly told to do in ROTJ. Nothing implied that after Luke and or Leia passed on what they learned, things would just have to stop or stay contained in their family tree. Certainly not what fans or EU writers have been taking from that statement all these decades.

Palpatine was exceptional at emotional manipulation of individuals, and playing chess with armies – even without using Force techniques like Mind Tricks. Politicking is what managed to get him most of his power, including swaying Anakin to his side, and keeping his apprentice under his command. HOWEVER, it's never once suggested that Palpatine is more powerful with the Force than Anakin. Palpatine was very powerful with the Dark Side, using Force Lightning and throwing senate seats, because his powers are fueled by his Dark Side emotions. On top of that, he's already old for a human, and there was a whole entire period where he studied under Darth Plagueis, and learned many MANY things about the Dark Side before killing his master. Plenty of experience for a Sith Lord, even compared to the battle-worn Jedi Master Generals of the Republic.

Palpatine says that in time his new student will become more powerful then either he or Yoda. Future tense. Yoda says he might be misplacing his faith, I'd say Yoda was proven right. Earlier in the movie, Anakin warns Dooku that his powers have doubled since they last met. Which in turn implies Anakin's power were half of what they are in ROTS as some point. Anakin's always had great potential but that potential still needs actualising first.

No, it ABSOLUTELY wasn't.
Everyone in the Resistance was retreating from the base, they were going to board the entire fleet into the capitol ships, jump into hyperspace, regroup, and plan a coordinated attack or next plan of action. There was no reason to engage the Juggernaut then and there – and again – he was explicitly commanded not to by his superior officer. It only ends up being the right choice, because the First Order could track them in real-time through Hyperspace, which NO ONE was expecting.

I'm pretty sure the movie starts with Poe already facing the First Order fleet in his fighter. Even if it was never possible that anyone else needed to be up there to provide any help covering the entire Resistance fleet's retreat from the First Order's attack (which I don't agree with), surely you have to conceed that it still possible that the Juggernaut posed a threat to his fighter, right? It's possible that this fleet killer could land a shot on him before he gets on those capitol ships.
The unarmed transports that the Resistance were going down to Crait on were using cloaking systems to hide from the First Order detecting them. The First Order would never have detected them on their own. It's only when DJ sells them out to save his own skin by telling them to run a particular type of scanner sweep for that (which he knows about because of overhearing Poe discuss the plan) that they're detected and start being shot down.
DJ didn't introduce the concept of cloaked ships to the First Order, or made them aware to a previously unknown form of scanner sweep the technology the First Order just happened to have on board. Nor are the transports physically invisible. Hondo made a judgement call that they'd focus the remaining capitol ship, she had them pegged right. But it was still a judgement call, there are hundreds of thousands of officers manning all those ships. Only one of them had to be looking the right way for it to become an absolute death sentence.

And again, Hondo's plan ends with them marooned on that planet with no known means of escape, with the First Order fleet still in orbit, who have yet to to check why anyone would want to come here a the Resistance clearly did. It might've worked, but the possibility for failure existed before Poe got out of bed that morning.

Discussing when and where it's appropriate to sacrifice your own life in a conflict is literally one of the core concepts of the film that's explored in excruciating detail. Dying just to destroy what you hate being one that's outright rejected, as well as causing heroic sacrifice when betting solely on crazy odds. So... You're just wrong there because of literally the entire narrative of the film about heroic sacrifice. I don't even really know what else to say here.

That doesn't make what Hondo ultimately ended up doing not a kamikaze attack.

Anakin was saved by his son, completing his final trial to become the last Jedi, and embracing Yoda's teaching about Jedi only using the Force for knowledge and defense, and using that teaching and believing that the Light in Anakin was still redeemable. That's ABSOLUTELY something that Luke can claim credit for AS A JEDI. It's Luke being a Jedi as the Jedi were meant to be which is literally the whole point that Rey is making when bringing that up.

I disagree that Yoda was counting on Luke never having to fight and if only he doesn't try, Vader and the Emperor and the Death Star will probably go away somehow without any violent intervention on their part. Obi-Wan instructed Luke to let the Force to guide him to blow up the Death Star. That was a victory Luke can squarely attribute to guidance of his Jedi Masters and it was a good one.

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
This is what I was referring to:
While his bloodline is certainly an advantage, Star Wars was not the story of 'only people with special bloodlines do special thinggs'

Not having a special bloodline is the norm, not something that rebels against the status quo.
I mean, that's true but ONLY of the non-Force characters.

The Star Wars films are all about the singular pillar of the Skywalkers and ONLY the Skywalkers against all odds – (because they're The Skywalker Saga). Together, Vader & Palpatine overthrew the entire Jedi Order and supplanted them with the Site. Then Luke (with the help of Anakin) overthrew both of the Sith. The Skywalkers have ultimately always overcome literally everything and been left at the center of the machinations of the whole galaxy

Only the Skywalkers is a vast overstatement. It's amazing how much people play down Palpatine's role in things. Anakin has almost nothing to do with the fall of the Jedi. Take him out of the prequels, and the Naboo Crisis may play out differently, but nothing Palpatine can't spin to his advantage. Anakin didn't orchestrate the Clone Wars, didn't help put together Order 66. He marches into the temple, but he wasn't necessary for that, he just spared the Clones some casualties. When he was sent to eradicate one of the last Jedi, he failed. The climactic duel at the end of Sith, the one that decides the fate of the galaxy, isn't Anakin/Obi Wan at all, it's Yoda/Palpatine. The idea that the films are only about the Skywalkers requires a lot of editing out of other Force users.

So, yeah. The first 6 films HEAVILY establish the idea of an extant Heroic Royal Force Lineage when Episode 6 ends. The Skywalker family have the most raw Force Sensitive potential the galaxy has ever seen, that connection to the Force "runs strong in their family," and they are the only ones who can train anyone else in the Force after them. There is no way anyone can receive more training than the Skywalkers posses or can give out, and no indication that there could EVER be anyone as powerful as them – unless the Cosmic Force decides to Deus Ex knock up another Virgin Mary with a Space Jesus.

So where did Snoke come from?

Here's the thing... Anakin never reached his potential. He never became the most powerful person in the galaxy. He never becomes more powerful than the Emperor. He had perfect lineage, but he might as well be the poster child for the idea that bloodline was not enough. He constantly tries to overpower threats with his perfect lineage, and loses as a result. In the final duel with Obi, the choreography is built around them being entirely equal, including in Force Power (the Force push lock where neither of them can overpower each other.) They're so equal that the tiniest advantage, 'high ground' (another thing that gets unfairly mocked so much) is enough to be decisive, and when Anakin tries to compensate for that tiny, tiny advantage with his raw force powered bloodline ('You underestimate my power') he can't overcome it. Because Bloodline is not everything, and thinking it is is constantly a failing in everyone with that belief. Mr. Perfect Bloodline is defeated because he tries and fails to use it against someone with no known special lineage.

In the OT, Luke specifically does not overpower the Emperor and Vader with the Force. I mean, that's the point. He allows himself to be electrocuted, it's his bond with his father that defeats the Emperor, not his connection to the Force. Insofar as it has to do with the SKywalker blood, it's the family connection that is the important part in that confrontation, not their super connection to the Force.

eah. It also carries them on its own, and the message is about taking them out of an environment where they're literally physically abused for sport. If you're gonna make jokes in the middle of honest points, I'd always amend them with "/sarcasm" or something, because SO many of the points are hyperbolized to ridiculous levels that it's difficult to assume anything like that isn't just being leveled as an actual criticism.

Half a joke, I said. I realise that this one is more a nitpick than the rest, but it's still symptomatic of the thematic confusion that Rose makes a big deal out of removing the saddle only once they're done with it.

"Hey, slaves! I will remove your chains... after you've carried me to safety."

Like the thing where the New Republic is suddenly set up as facilitating the arms trade when everything else in canon explicitly sets them up as people minimising their fleet and disarming as much as possible. It seems like an indication of a theme inserted without being fully thought through.

That's different because (SPOILER) Holdo is in a position where she HAS to be a single, non-heroic sacrifice for them to escape as a part of a well-calculated plan — piloting the ship away to draw the First Order off. It's not a heroic sacrifice or one that involves violence, but once of practical necessity. She is always going to die to make the plan succeed, regardless of how she dies, that's decided in advance.

The thing about that is, even though Poe is called out on trying to be a hero, that's not what he's doing. It't not like he disagreed with her plan, he wasn't told there was one, and after watching every other ship in the fleet (including at least some of their crews) be destroyed, after begging his CO to give him something to believe they weren't just delaying the inevitable, decided to do something about it. His plan doesn't even interfere with hers, except through a contrived scenario where DJ hearing the word 'transports' somehow figures out not only that they are cloaked, but exactly how to detect them, which Poe could not possibly have known in any way because he didn't know any of that.

And the point is that she openly calls him out where those lessons aren't accurate.

(SPOILER)
1. That's a lesson about the nature of the Force itself, and an important one. It's also about the dogmatism of the Jedi being problematic, but it's a lesson that teaches Rey about what the Force really is. It's not JUST a lesson about failure at all. It's primarily about the true nature of the Force.

3. You're VASTLY misrepresenting the lesson here. The deleted scene is he tells her that raiders are coming to the Caretaker village, and so long as they allow it to happen some will die, but it will be minor, but if they intervene, the raiders will send even greater amount of troops and the situation will escalate. Rey runs down anyway, and discovers that they aren't raiders at all, but they're actually just the males returning from their long journeys out to sea where they get food for their families. It's a lesson about thinking that you know what to do and violence as a solution. HOWEVER – Given that it's all based on descriptions of hearsay at this point, there's no point in trying to dissect the message from the Third lesson until the novelization of The Last Jedi is released in March, since that part WILL be included there.

It's worth noting that Luke failed to lift an X-Wing out of a swamp, and also in the Dark Side cave, so teaching through forms of failure really isn't anything too new. Luke's issue in 5 on Dagobah all came down to one exchange: "I don't believe it" – "and THAT is why you fail."

Rey's different. She intrinsically believes in her own abilities. She's just afraid of them, and learning how to control them. That's why what NOT to do is the most important lessons for Luke her – especially since she is LITERALLY the foil to Ben's power. Rey's story is all about Luke's own hubris and shortcomings, that have presented an issue that Rey has to overcome, while Ben's focus has always been to overcome what Vader failed to do, and how those two things conflict with one another but need to find balance.

Okay, let's leave out lesson 3.

Everything she learns that's useful happens against his will. She does her own sparring. She goes to the darkside cave against his will. She takes the books against his will. She beats the true story out of him. It was a Jedi Master who saved Vader...by going against what he had been taught, what Obi and Yoda wanted him to do.

He warns her against going to Snoke. She goes... and ends up getting him killed. Luke Skywalker is wrong about everything, down to the merits of lifting rocks.

Contrast to Empire, where Luke goes off to confront Vader against Yoda's advice... and gets the tar kicked out of him. Yes, Luke had failures, but they were not the only things he was taught. We see some lessons of many. With TLJ, there are only three lessons and they are all about why the Jedi suck. She abandons him as a failure, he goes to destroy the books, and Yoda essentially says. 'Yup, you're a failure, but your bad example can teach her something at least.' Then Luke projects to Crait, confesses his failures to Leia and Ben, and dies. It plays more like an attempt at redemption than an acknowledgement of any merits of the old Jedi.

showed Luke that they were worth keeping the Jedi for. It's not a rejection of everything that's happened since then at all. It's embracing the values that the Jedi stood for, rather than tossing them away because of what they actually were.

As soon as she leaves, he tries to destroy the last Jedi teachings, which he doesn't know survived. He doesn't know she has anything of the Old Jedi teachings with her, it seems like it outlook is more 'She's going to remake the Jedi without any of our teachings, maybe she won't screw up like we did.

Rey is left with about as much formal training as Luke had somewhere between Empire and RotJ.

No, she explicitly got three lectures about failure. There isn't even a timeskip between films where she can practice by herself, Luke had actual training time with two Jedi masters which is implied to be more than we see.

There was no reason to engage the Juggernaut then and there – and again – he was explicitly commanded not to by his superior officer. It only ends up being the right choice, because the First Order could track them in real-time through Hyperspace, which NO ONE was expecting.

When the Dreadnought is destroyed, it is right in the process of charging it's supergun for a shot aimed directly at the Raddus. Poe got demoted for saving the fleet. Poe and Finn keep getting called out for motivations they don't have. Finn isn't destroying the gun because he hates it, he's trying to save the Resistance.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
The great YouTube show “because science” just took a look at the RKKV maneuver from TLJ.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
The great YouTube show “because science” just took a look at the RKKV maneuver from TLJ.

His one about how lightsaber death would be even more terrifying is pretty interesting, too. (I have to nitpick at this one because jumping into hyperspace ≠ moving at near light speed in realspace in the physics of the Star Wars universe, but it's still endlessly interesting just to find out about the sort of insane physics that WOULD happen if that was the case just because it gives us a reason to discuss that sort of impossibly insane scenario).

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
You say that but all I remember from Blade Runner's asthetic is depressing monochromatic fog, :monster:

2049 had massive and really awesome set design for pretty much every part of it, and was much less just depressing monochromatic fog than the original film – which is basically composed entirely of that and rainy mechanical grit.

He's also been the art director for Skyfall, Game of Thrones, Prometheus, Mission: Impossible – Rogue Nation, & Children of Men as well. When it comes to really big and exceptionally immersive visions, he's got a lot of great stuff.

Mage

She/They
AKA
Mage
So this is the first time I've looked in on this thread for a while and I just noped out. The same names having a gradually more nuanced argument is immensely off-putting, particularly when your replies are basically 'you're wrong because of X', 'no you haven't considered Y so you're wrong'. You're actually arguing that what someone else has seen and interpreted is wrong and arguing it to death and seriously, fuck that shit. Maybe if we were all meant to sing from the same songsheet after seeing The Last Jedi, the film would have been much more explicit and probably a lot shorter?

Lulcielid

Eyes of the Lord
AKA
Lulcy
So this is the first time I've looked in on this thread for a while and I just noped out. The same names having a gradually more nuanced argument is immensely off-putting, particularly when your replies are basically 'you're wrong because of X', 'no you haven't considered Y so you're wrong'. You're actually arguing that what someone else has seen and interpreted is wrong and arguing it to death and seriously, fuck that shit.
If the conversation is done in respectful manner without malevolent intention then it's fair, forums are meant to be a place where users can have a discussion, why the "fuck that shit"?

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
So this is the first time I've looked in on this thread for a while and I just noped out. The same names having a gradually more nuanced argument is immensely off-putting, particularly when your replies are basically 'you're wrong because of X', 'no you haven't considered Y so you're wrong'. You're actually arguing that what someone else has seen and interpreted is wrong and arguing it to death and seriously, fuck that shit. Maybe if we were all meant to sing from the same songsheet after seeing The Last Jedi, the film would have been much more explicit and probably a lot shorter?

Fair enough.

Top Bottom