• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
It's out on Steam now: http://store.steampowered.com/app/595520/FINAL_FANTASY_XII_THE_ZODIAC_AGE/

*grabs*

After playing with stuff on the internet, here's what I've come up with for Job Set-Ups...

Yes, I like the idea of using all 12 jobs and I like stupid powerful combinations...

Ashe - Red Battlemage, Archer
Basch - Knight, Bushi
Fran - Uhlan, Time Battlemage
Blathier - Foestriker, Shikari
Penelo - Whitemage, Machinist
Vaan - Monk, Black Mage

Last edited:

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
So far the only weird thing I notice about it is how the Wait/Active battle modes interact with battle menu navigation.

As usual in PC games, the mouse controls the camera and WASD are the movement keys. They're also the menu navigation keys when you can't move (Party Menu, etc.). WASD being the movement keys also extends to battles where you can use them to move closer to targets. When the battle mode is set to Wait, WASD can be used to navigate the Battle Menu when it's brought up (and battle is paused).

When the battle mode is set to Active, WASD are still the movement keys, but they can't be used to navigate the Battle Menu. Instead another set of four keys (IJKL or the NUM Pad) are used to navigate the Battle Menu. This gets problematic as your right hand wants to be on the mouse for all other content so the camera can be controlled.

I usually don't like Wait in ATB based battle systems, but I've yet to find a good set-up for Active battle that feels good. It would probably feel a lot better with a MMO mouse.

EDIT: Never mind. It's nowhere in the controls but the mouse wheel goes up and down the Battle Menu. Yeah. This just got way easier.

All I can say is that this is a way better PC port then the XIII ports where.

Last edited:

fullmetalraz

Lv. 1 Adventurer
I kind of hit a brick wall playing the PS4 version in Barheim Passage when you have to defeat those mimics stealing energy. I keep getting so far in and every enemy is destroying my team, Basch especially is squishy. What gives? Did they make this version harder? I remember breezing through this section on PS2.

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
I've found that at the beginning anyway, you don't want to have too many "squishy" classes, or rather, that it's safer not to have too many of them.

I'm a little after that (just finished Lushu Mines) and this is what my job set-up looks like.

A Team
Ashe - Red Mage
Basch - Knight
Blathier - Foestriker

B Team
Fran - Time Mage
Peleno - White Mage
Vaan - Monk

So for Barheim Passage, I had a Foestriker, Monk and a Time Mage, all of which are fairly beefy classes.

Fangu

Great Old One
Right so, um, I bought this game on Steam.

Started playing yesterday and ended after finishing Vossler.

I thought I'd make this more of a 'happy go lucky' extremely casual playthrough, not setting up for finishing all of the Trials and doing all the post game and stuff. So I started it out making Vaan a black mage because I like black mages, plus magic is extremely useful early to mid game. Vaan is also pretty much good at anything, and I think staves look good on him, so, whatevs. He's not the optimal mage, he's probably better as a tank, but yeah.

Next I made Fran a Monk because I've read Monks can learn some white magic, but that part was a waste because the Monk don't get access to higher level curing spells until late game/ post game, and Fran already starts up with Cure, so. Meh. Otherwise she does really well in that job. I'm gonna get Brawler for her and Berserker Bracers (which are so cheat) and see what happens. For my Platinum run I randomly picked Foebreaker for her, which turned out to be a good match for her, so. She's best off in random damage and supportive roles.

For Balthier I was contemplating Shirari or Bushi. Shikari is probably the absolutely best job for him as it's the one with Daggers (which get stronger for characters with high speed) so I thought I'd do something different because when playing vanilla I *always* give him daggers because the overall damage output when giving him daggers is really high. I was tempted to make him and Uhlan but for my random run I had two Uhlans (which is a great job) so I wanted to do something different. So I ended up making him a Bushi. Now, I know they say the best weapon for Ashe is katanas because they feed off magick, but I had no idea they'd set Mystic armour up with Bushi, I thought it'd be Light armour. But it makes sense because of the whole magic thing. Balthier's magic is really bad, so I'm gonna have to feed him all the Magick lores I can find, plus always make sure his equipment is good. He *might* be successful still.

Basch - haven't picked a job yet. Never know what to do with him. For my random job he was a Red Mage, which turned out to be excellent, but I think that was mostly due to the fact that the Red Mage is totally OP :P (I guess another reason it worked was I could have Basch tank and supply while Foebreaker and damage role 2 could concentrate on dealing damage. But yeah.) I have no idea what to do for this round, maybe make him a Time mage, it's a role I haven't used before, so. idk.

Thinking of picking Red Mage for Penelo. Making her anything other than a mage does feel like a waste, although I guess she could do decently as a Bushi.

Ashe... haven't decided yet. Maybe another Black Mage. Although my heart really wants to make her Bushi.

Bluh. Sometimes this job fiddling really makes me miss the old version x)

Fangu

Great Old One
(Yesterday)

Played all the way until the Teleport crystal in Tchita. Made Penelo a Red mage, Ashe a Bushi (because uuuhhhn couldn't help myself) and Basch Uhlan (same reason basically...) I also gave Balthier White Mage as the second job, which turns out to be a really effective combo with Bushi for him, he actually manages to heal everyone up in one go, which I never got him to do in any vanilla playthrough. Magic Lores and Mystic Armour, I guess.

The only thing that's managed to wipe my party is one of those crocodiles in Tchita with Reflect, lol.

Also I really don't understand how they made high tier magic so easy to get in this version. You can get Fira BEFORE doing Tiamat, which basically mean you can power level on the jellies in Henne really early. (Only problem with that though is that in this version, Larsa sucks up your EXP. Bad Larsa, bad!) Another thing is you get Firaga at Phon Coast, while in vanilla you don't get it until you reach Balfonheim, which is... a major difference. Leveling in Tchita is cakewalk when you have two characters tanking/ healing while Vaan pretty much kills everything with one Firaga (equipped Flame Staff, 50% extra damage). Equip him with a Firefly, bam the other two get all the EXP. Rinse and repeat.

I got the second Golden Amulet from hunt #10, so I have two, plus one Embroidered Tippet. I can't really say I've been leveling that much, but my guys are already around level 33 something.

Sooo I should probably go to Draklor, not sure how long I'll be playing tonight.

Fangu

Great Old One
Did Sochen and Draklor. They were both pretty easy. Also lol @ the 3 chops in Archades. So cheat.

Anyway arrived at Balfonheim, spent all my money on magicks and attempted grinding at Cerobi. Kind of not quite there yet, mostly because I could only afford new weapons and equipment for some of my guys, because I'd ran out of money. So instead I packed up and went off to Feywood. Which was annoying too because my vitality and Magick resist isn't that high, so I kept getting Confus'd. Also I need to get another Ruby Ring, or make Ashe my Time mage already, so I can farm those Mirror Knights. (Firaga reflected woop woop)

Also hahaha had a light scare when I didn't realise the "toggle boards" when you have two boards for a character. Couldn't find the licence for the Katana I'd just bought for Balthier. WHAT THE HELL THEY REMOVE SHIT?! I mean, it's kind of confusing because when you add the second board, they kind of merge, so I didn't realise you still had two views. lmao. Was kind of happy when I noticed the toggle button.

Anyway I parked at the blue save crystal in Feywood. Penelo has Reflect, Basch can wear the mirror mail, so between Ashe getting reflect and the other three using the Ruby Ring (Vaan doesn't need any levels at this point anyway, he's level 40 or something) I'll do a few rounds of Mirror Knights, there are so many of them that hopefully I'll get a good chain running so I can get some money. I really do need money at this point.

The journey continues ~

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
What version of Zodiac Age are you using?

In the PC version, you can bring in the items from the Trial Mode into the Main Game with you at the cost of resting Trial Mode back to the first trial. This gets interesting for early Gil Farming as there's a guarantied Diamond Bangle in the first trial. So you can effectively get unlimited Diamond Bangles as soon as the game starts and sell them for easy gil.

Blade

That Man
AKA
Darkside-Ky/Mimeblade
Does Zodiac Age have the Pirates Den achievement bonuses in PC version?

Fangu

Great Old One
Trial mode: I'd rather do some proper in-game farming tbh. The trials farming also works on PS4 btw.
Does Zodiac Age have the Pirates Den achievement bonuses in PC version?
Yep, they added that for the PC version, iirc.

Last edited:

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
List of spreadsheet's I've found useful. Copy/Save them into your own google drive to mess with them.

Job Planner: Best job planner I've found. Gives a good summation of what all the jobs can do and what Espers/Quickings unlock. Also gives a lot of detailed info on how to possibly get around Esper gates with certain job combos.

Rare Mob/Trial/Location Info
: A lot of info about where to get weapons and spells. Lots of hunt and rare mob info. List of items you can get in Trial Mode.

Bazaar List
: Good list of what goes into the Bazaar. You can sort it by both the loot you are selling and the Bazaar packages you are buying. I add in a column to the right of the Loot Quantity column to keep track of how many pieces of loot I've sold.

Fangu

Great Old One
Went through Feywood, then went back to farm Mirror Knights, as planned. Pretty much burned through them with a crit'd Vaan doing Firagas on the party, crossed zones to respawn then back in, building a chain. Got to 90 Windslicer Pinions, sold those + a bunch of crap and earned 125,000 gil. That was after I'd earned enough to upgrade everyone's equipment at Balfonheim first, so, yep, all set for Giruvegan and the Great Crystal now. But that won't be today. Nope.

Lex

Administrator
How are you finding the 60fps?

I'm going to get an Ultrawide monitor at some point and this is one of the games I'd love to play in that aspect ratio.

Fangu

Great Old One
My computer couldn't run 60 lul, I had to switch it back to 30 :monster:

That being said, the opening cutscene did look crisper. But then again I don't even know if the pre rendered scenes are even in 60 fps :wacky:

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
60 FPS works just fine for me. That said, I have taken to doing most of the areas that don't involve story stuff at double speed.

Do run the graphics config program the first time you run it. That's where all those settings are instead of being in the actual game.

Fangu

Great Old One
There's a limitation to how much fiddling with settings works when your PC is from 2011 tho

Also what kind of people don't run the conf thing before running the game

what kind of people

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
The people who complain about the cutscenes playing at double speed with normal speed sound from the start? I guess?

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
What version of Zodiac Age are you using?

In the PC version, you can bring in the items from the Trial Mode into the Main Game with you at the cost of resting Trial Mode back to the first trial. This gets interesting for early Gil Farming as there's a guarantied Diamond Bangle in the first trial. So you can effectively get unlimited Diamond Bangles as soon as the game starts and sell them for easy gil.
knowing this makes me wish i had the game :sadpanda:

T@ctic

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Orah, Iju
woah, i just found out that 12 is set before 7???? cool

Last edited:
Top Bottom