Final Fantasy XV (was Versus XIII)

Gary Caelum

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Gary Caelum
Yeah I forgot about that Chapter 13 line. I interpret it less an issue of what's 'fun' though, and more about him wanting to just get revenge on the crystal as well as the Lucian kings, as I assume Noctis absorbing the power of the crystal is supposed to basically kill it or make it inactive.

This is quite a good theory actually. Maybe Bahamut chooses to make Regis' child the King of Light at this exact point. Like it wasn't planned but he needed to do it to stop Ardyn destroying the whole place.

It'll be one of those "I'll save you, but you must give to me your firstborn child." like in Sleeping Beauty.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
Not only that as Twilight mentioned, Regis wasn't chosen to be the True King so that's why Ardyn had to wait for another couple of decades before Noct was old enough to begin his quest. One of the weird reasons why I think Noct was chosen was because as Ardyn mentioned before his death was that Noct resembled to Somnus but at the same time was much more caring for others and far less selfish.

Gary Caelum

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Gary Caelum
Yeah but it's ambiguous in the main story as to how the prophecies work. Like was it always going to be Noctis who filled that role?

I think it'd be quite a good twist if Bahamut literally decides it during this DLC, as a kind of agreement with Ardyn.

Gary Caelum

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Gary Caelum
Just noticed there's a Final Fantasy sale on PSN right now. I think it's just Europe though.
Good opportunity for anyone to get any part of the XV products if they haven't got them already.

I wonder why they haven't announced the Ardyn price yet?

Ryuman

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Pointlessname, Pointer
I didn't watch the anime, as I don't really care that much anymore (Though apparently enough to be here), but I'm enjoying the reactions. I always knew from the first time I beat the vanilla game that the conflict was built upon a corrupt monarchy and an indifferent God. Plenty of people seem to dislike the 'Kill God' troupe in JRPG's but I really thought FFXV could do with it. I wasn't really comfortable getting the blessing from Somnus to go kill Ardyn in the Royal Edition either.
I'll watch this and play the DLC eventually though.

Gary Caelum

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Gary Caelum
Posted on FFXV Japanese twitter. Looking awesome. I didn't notice Ardyn at the bottom for like 5 minutes, lol.

I wonder how big this is gonna be? Will it be a small open-world area?

My biggest hope is that upon completion, it adds this area back to the main game so you can explore with Noctis. They'd maybe need to damage it a bit for story continuity. But that'd be awesome either way.

D091-KBq-VAAEi-1-E.jpg

Last edited:

Gary Caelum

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Gary Caelum
I have mixed feelings about it. I still think I'd have preferred either Luna or Aranea DLC, because I feel like those would've added more to the main story. Ardyn I didn't really need to know more about for the main story to work.

But then I'm liking what I'm seeing so far. I'm especially pleased we get to explore Insomnia pre-invasion. And also the previous trailer made it look like the story might be quite interesting too.

Episode Ignis was essential for the main story though. I don't think this will be. I think it'll be more of an additional novelty. This will probably be longer though!

Last edited:

Gary Caelum

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Gary Caelum
Oh apparently we do already have a price for the DLC. The article in Famitsu says the Japanese price will be 926yen plus tax.

https://www.famitsu.com/matome/ff15/2019_02_17.html

So Japan's sales tax is 8%. So lets say 1000 yen in japanese. Which is about 9 dollars US. So I think that hints at what I'd guessed. It'll be a bit longer than the previous character DLC, but probably not by much. My guess would be about 3 hours long. I wonder if this has really taken them a whole year to make?

Gary Caelum

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Gary Caelum
They'd better have some kind of final bonus offering to thank us for our unending patience with this, or I don't see the point of another stream.

How easy would it be to just say "We've added a final patch that adds the DLC seamlessly into the game."

Or better still "We had about 20 minutes of unused cutscenes that never made it into the final game/DLC. Here they all are in an optional free DLC. You can find them as unlockable scenes hidden around the world map."

Gary Caelum

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Gary Caelum
I doubt there'll be a twist as good as how Ignis lost his eyesight. That was brilliant. Even if they spoiled it in the trailer.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
I'm not necessarily looking for a twist to be what makes it good. Though I do suspect a twisty interpretation I've had for a while to be confirmed.

Gary Caelum

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Gary Caelum
What is your interpretation?

Good gameplay and exploration could make it good too. But in terms of the story, it seems like some kind of twist is likely, because the story for what happens here is so unknown. It seems so unlikely they'd just go with something really boring like 'Ardyn attacks Insomnia, kills loads of people, then gets beat back. The End.'
There'll surely be more to it than that.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
What is your interpretation?
Sorry, typo. Should say "that twisty interpretation" rather than "a twisty interpretation" -- i.e. something like what I brought up a few weeks ago in regard to Bahamut and Ardyn making a deal.

Bahamut in this game has always rubbed me the wrong way. I'm tellin' ya, bitch is sketchy.

Gary Caelum

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Gary Caelum
Looking awesome!

"As You Like It" is about a duke being exiled from the kingdom and having to go and live in a forest.
Similar-ish to the Ardyn story I guess. Although it is a comedy (which meant a happy story, not the modern meaning of the word), so I doubt that's really foreshadowing anything.

Also, I noticed that the Japanese page for the Active Time Report says there is an update to the game as well as episode Ardyn. So unless that's just lost in translation, there might be some final stuff added to the base game like I'd hoped.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
"You can stop by the hat shops scattered throughout the city to change Ardyn's appearance"

....Do you understand how much I'm fangasming this shit? :mon:

LOL fucking hat shops for Ardyn. I love it.

Like, I'm keeping my expectations low for this DLC because I know there's no way anything is coming out of this and this is the end of XV's content but as long as it's entertaining, Ardyn wrecks shit while being a snarky bastard, and we get a good glimpse of how he saw Lucis's betrayal and his feelings of being the so-called "Adagium", I'm satisfied.

Ardyn is probably one of the most entertaining, badass and charismatic villains we've had in Final Fantasy for a long time and I am glad he's getting some good attention. It's rare one gets to play as a villain and in such a huge, meaningful way so I'm gonna savor it immensely.

Just like Ardyn savored sitting on the throne and hanging up the bodies of the past Lucian rulers in the throne room :mon:

Gary Caelum

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Gary Caelum
Ardyn is probably one of the most entertaining, badass and charismatic villains we've had in Final Fantasy for a long time and I am glad he's getting some good attention. It's rare one gets to play as a villain and in such a huge, meaningful way so I'm gonna savor it immensely.

He's probably my favourite villain in the whole series.

Either him or Sephiroth. Ardyn is the better character and has the better motives, but Sephiroth is perhaps presented better by the story.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
He's probably my favourite villain in the whole series.

Either him or Sephiroth. Ardyn is the better character and has the better motives, but Sephiroth is perhaps presented better by the story.

Same. For me it's Sephiroth, Ardyn and Kefka.

Which is funny cause Ardyn kinda borrows from the other two villains. He carries a maniacal hatred, grudge and ego like Sephiroth, and he's as charismatic, nihilistic and hilarious as Kefka, but with less batshit insanity.

It's a good mix, along with the incredible design. He looks different and very unique. Nothing against the previous villains up til now but Ardyn really shined as his own in terms of style, presentation and motivation.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
It probably goes without saying for me, but yeah, Ardyn is absolutely my favorite FF villain. Far and away. Like, it's not even a little bit close. And for many of the reasons you guys have brought up.

Looks like the hat shop’s called “お気に召すまま,” which is the Japanese title of Shakespeare’s “As You Like It,” a play that incidentally takes place in the Forest of Arden. Is this a mere coincidence? Or perhaps something more?

You don't say.:awesome:

Granted, that page needs some updating (it's been a year and a half), but I called this one way the hell back:

A parallel to Ardyn’s story is found in some of the game’s NPCs. You may remember Ezma from the Meldacio Hunter HQ. She’s Dave’s mother, and the leader of the Hunters community. “Ezma” is what the English localization calls her, but in Japanese, her name is “Izania” (イザニア) — strikingly close to “Izunia” (イズニア), the surname Ardyn took from Noctis’s ancestor, who he claims betrayed him.

During Dave’s last quest, “The Witch of the Woods,” we learn that Izania vilified her sister, Kimya, spreading lies that she was a witch, and causing her exile into a forest ...

In case the hints seem too vague, FFXV’s Scenario Side Ultimania does outright show that Kimya and Izania have the same last name.

This would then seem to also inform the derivation of Ardyn’s first name. Kimya lives in exile in the Malmalam Thicket. William Shakespeare’s “As You Like it” is set primarily in the Forest of Arden (“アーデンの森” in Japanese translations; note that the spelling “Arden” takes in Japanese is identical to that of the Japanese spelling our Ardyn’s name takes), where a duke has been exiled by his brother — the usurper of his duchy.

You may well remember that Final Fantasy XV has borne the influence of William Shakespeare from early in development, when it was still entitled “Final Fantasy Versus XIII.” This was, perhaps, made most obvious by the inclusion in early trailers, such as this one from 2008, of a quote from Act II, Scene 2 of “Hamlet”: “There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.”

Parallels with “Hamlet” are numerous in FFXV: betrayed kings; usurpers; a decaying world; avenging (or vengeful) princes who die while lifting decay from the lands; the princes’ drowned betrotheds; the brothers of those betrotheds, who maintain long rivalries with the princes until their animosity is put to rest. To be sure, there are a few reversals at work as well, even within the imagery in play (e.g. imagery of the sun denotes corruption in “Hamlet,” while Noctis seeks to restore the Dawn in FFXV), but for the most part, the themes remain reasonably intact and readily identifiable.

Of those themes, usurpation is prominent and highly visible, as is also the case in “As You Like It.”

The parallels we’re concerned with should now be obvious: both Izunia (イズニア) and Izania (イザニア) spread lies about someone close to them, attributing to them an evil, supernatural nature (Ardyn as a daemon; Kimya as a witch), leading to the other person becoming a pariah within their community while Izunia and Izania (the Izzies?) became the leaders of those communities.

An interesting contrast to be found here, though, is that while Kimya wishes her betrayer’s heir well, Ardyn most obviously does not. Kimya sends encouraging advice back to Dave by way of Noctis, while everything Ardyn does is ultimately for the purpose of making Noctis miserable. Much like the exiled duke in “As You Like It,” Kimya seems to find contentment in her situation and remains kind.

All that we’ve examined here in relation to Izunia and Izania, as well as in relation to FFXV and the work of Shakespeare, makes for yet another hint, via thematic parallels in this case, that Ardyn and Izunia — and thus, Ardyn and Noctis — are related.

All that may still be up in the air here is what the deal is with the "Izunia" surname since we now know Ardyn's brother to have been "Somnus Lucis Caelum" -- but according to the German localization of Ardyn's entry in the Dossier added to the game well after I wrote the above, "Izunia" was both brothers' surname before they were chosen by the Crystal:

"Als Erstgeborener der Familie Izunia, die einst für ihre besonderen Fähigkeiten zur Linie der Lucis Caelum erwählt wurde, hätte er der erste Kônig zum Schutze des Kristalls werden sollen."

"As the firstborn of the Izunia family, chosen for their special skills to be the Lucis Caelum lineage, he should have become the first king to protect the Crystal."

I'm very much hoping Episode Ardyn brings this up. I still think it's definitely canon, as the German localization revealed other juicy details before they showed up elsewhere in the English localization of subsequent material (e.g. Shiva and Ifrit being lovers), but I really want it to be directly referenced in the upcoming DLC.

Looking awesome!

"As You Like It" is about a duke being exiled from the kingdom and having to go and live in a forest.
Similar-ish to the Ardyn story I guess. Although it is a comedy (which meant a happy story, not the modern meaning of the word), so I doubt that's really foreshadowing anything.

Also, I noticed that the Japanese page for the Active Time Report says there is an update to the game as well as episode Ardyn. So unless that's just lost in translation, there might be some final stuff added to the base game like I'd hoped.

Intriguing! I know we're supposed to be getting one final update to the multiplayer mode when Episode Ardyn releases, but I wasn't expecting anything for the main game.

It's rare one gets to play as a villain and in such a huge, meaningful way so I'm gonna savor it immensely.

Just like Ardyn savored sitting on the throne and hanging up the bodies of the past Lucian rulers in the throne room :mon:
Regis was the only past Lucian ruler there. :monster:

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
I'm very much hoping Episode Ardyn brings this up. I still think it's definitely canon, as the German localization revealed other juicy details before they showed up elsewhere in the English localization of subsequent material (e.g. Shiva and Ifrit being lovers), but I really want it to be directly referenced in the upcoming DLC.

Wasn't it the German localization that stated the Starscourge came from the Meteor of the Six?

That may end up being revealed as well.

Regis was the only past Lucian ruler there. :monster:

You're right. To be fair, I got it mixed up with him reanimating/controlling the Old Wall incarnations of the past Lucian rulers. So yeah :mon:

On another note, I don't know why I didn't spot this before but....

Going by what we saw in the Episode Ardyn trailer... Regis fucking saw Ardyn before when he was younger and even fought with him. He even called him Adagium.

But in Kingsglaive, Regis acted totally like he was just some schmuck off the street. What was up with that? Why didn't he freak the fuck out that essentially, the Antichrist, was in his hall and talking to him?

That was weird. Maybe he didn't want to cause a scene and risk a fight breaking out?

Ryuman

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Pointlessname, Pointer
For some reason I had this impression that Regis knew what would happen one day. So, I suppose that moment when Ardyn walked in was a "...So it has begun" kind of moment.

Top Bottom