FFVII Remake: Intergrade Yuffie DLC Announced

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Before Crisis doesn't mess with the Remake at all. Fuhito and his forces are dead and most of the non-crazy members of AVALANCHE either abandoned Fuhito when he took over, or were killed/turned into his puppets. With the assassination of the previous leader, a new group was born that carried on the AVALANCHE name and are now led by the non-crazy factions who existed before. They inherited what was left behind in Before Crisis, while Barret does his own thing. Barret was never part of the original AVALANCHE so that's why he would be separate from it.

oty

Pro Adventurer
AKA
ex-soldier boy
At best a quick glance on him? Like an ID file or something. I find extremely unlikely they would put a significant Genesis appearance on what looks like a Yuffie/Wutai history focused DLC.

Or maybe they should do that and then forget about him for the remainder of the series.

waw

Pro Adventurer
Before Crisis doesn't mess with the Remake at all. Fuhito and his forces are dead and most of the non-crazy members of AVALANCHE either abandoned Fuhito when he took over, or were killed/turned into his puppets. With the assassination of the previous leader, a new group was born that carried on the AVALANCHE name and are now led by the non-crazy factions who existed before. They inherited what was left behind in Before Crisis, while Barret does his own thing. Barret was never part of the original AVALANCHE so that's why he would be separate from it.
I understand. I mean, the weird crazy Zirconiade fight just before the FF7 events are a little odd. I don't think it clashes, but it's odd. A fairly large Avalanche squad rescuing Cloud and Biggs, etc is bit odd just days after the BC events are odd if they're so wiped out. I understand there is rationale that explains how it all works, but it's all much messier than saying something like:

Fuhito/Elfe's Avalanche gradually became more radical. Their deaths splintered Avalanche with disagreements how much violence was warranted. Barret took up Fuhito's ideas while the other branch took up more of Shears/Efle's.

Having Barret never served with the previous Avalanche is a bit of a disservice to how radical he is, in my humble opinion. I think it could be tighter, that's all. It's an opinion.

Seeing how connected Weiss and Genesis are in more than one way, I'm actually wondering if we finally get the Genesis appearance in this DLC...maybe Yuffie causes enough chaos to wake him up.

I really think we will see Genesis in the Remake Saga. I'm not sure to what extent, but somewhere. I think finding Genesis sleeping deep inside/under Midgar is possible for Yuffie, possibly even having a conversation or something. They aren't done with that character, we'll see more of him.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
At best a quick glance on him? Like an ID file or something. I find extremely unlikely they would put a significant Genesis appearance on what looks like a Yuffie/Wutai history focused DLC.

Or maybe they should do that and then forget about him for the remainder of the series.

If we're still keeping Dirge lore, Genesis really shouldn't be touched again during this part of the story.

Considering he's been captured and reclaimed by Shinra, it's honestly not too unlikely at all. He's under Shinra control and containment. If Yuffie or others breach too far into Sector 0's Mako Reactor, they could mobilize any Deepground forces necessary to protect it. It's why Weiss just sits there chained to it.

He could either be cameo'd, used as a secret boss or something else for that area. It's not impossible or improbable.

But destiny has changed, Odysseus, so all bets are off.

You do realize that Yuffie's chapter happens before Chapter 18 right? That actually doesn't make sense at all. All of the Whispers still exist so no, "destiny" actually hasn't changed during her episode.

Roundhouse

Pro Adventurer
Considering he's been captured and reclaimed by Shinra, it's honestly not too unlikely at all. He's under Shinra control and containment. If Yuffie or others breach too far into Sector 0's Mako Reactor, they could mobilize whatever Deepground forces necessary to protect it. That's why Weiss literally sits there chained to it.

Huzzah!

You do realize that that Yuffie's chapter happens before Chapter 18 right? That actually doesn't make sense at all. All of the Whispers still exist so no, it actually hasn't changed during her episode.

Oh...okay, fair enough. (Unless Yuffie's dlc, time wise, goes all the way up until the dementors being defeated...but I guess that's too long a stretch of time.)

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
Considering he's been captured and reclaimed by Shinra, it's honestly not too unlikely at all. He's under Shinra control and containment. If Yuffie or others breach too far into Sector 0's Mako Reactor, they could mobilize any Deepground forces necessary to protect it. It's why Weiss just sits there chained to it.
I thought he left Deepground and started chilling in a cave? I didn't think he was in confinement.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
I really think they’ve shown us a good overview of what we’re about to see, including all but the final twist, which I don’t think will be Genesis. I don’t remember where I heard that it’s two chapters, but here’s my run-down:

Chapter 1: Concurrent with Chapter 8, Yuffie (in a cloak) attempts to team up with an Avalanche cell in Sector 7 that is *not* Barret’s cell after Shinra News links Avalanche and Wutai. She claims to be “an elite special forces operative of the new Wutai government.” Meaning herself. Keener-girl and Sonon agree to party up, and they need blondie to progress to Chapter 2. Shinra is chasing the guy so you go a-platformin’ to catch up with him. Keener-girl is left behind, maybe as a distraction or she gets wounded. The chase concludes with a centipede fight and Yuffie loses her cloak. Blondie gives you the keycards or whatever and it’s on to...

Chapter 2: I do believe they are either going down to Mako Reactor 0 or at least the bowels of Shinra HQ. The train scene is after Yuffie ditches the cloak so it’s likely here. We have very few clips of this chapter, but the dialogue implies that Yuffie and Sonon are separated for at least part of it, coming back together when Deepground attacks. Deepground are probably enemies in this dungeon the way those heartless guys were in 7R’s chapter 13. The final boss will be something/someone new, a gross monster or a new Tsiviet invented just for this DLC. If they tease any of DC’s Tsiviets, it will be similar to teasing Thanos at the end of the first Avengers movie. I think this will also expand on what Scarlet was doing during Chapter 16, and will likely be concurrent with that chapter. It may even show us what happens to Scarlet after the board meeting. Could she be the final boss?

I believe that Chapter 2 will also feature a combat sim for Yuffie solo and the Yuffie-Sonon team. The combat sim could be controlled by Deepground, which is why Weiss is its secret boss. It could be Weiss himself, projected by SND, or it could be some foreshadowing of digital replication, which like, sure, at this point.

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
I understand. I mean, the weird crazy Zirconiade fight just before the FF7 events are a little odd. I don't think it clashes, but it's odd. A fairly large Avalanche squad rescuing Cloud and Biggs, etc is bit odd just days after the BC events are odd if they're so wiped out. I understand there is rationale that explains how it all works

Technically speaking, the Zirconiade fight happens two months before the bombing of Mako Reactor #1. It's the committee to decide the fate of the Turks that's coincidentally held on the same night as the bombing.

https://thelifestream.net/lifestrea...chapter-summaries-chapters-23-24-25-epilogue/

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
I thought he left Deepground and started chilling in a cave? I didn't think he was in confinement.

"G sleeps below Midgar," but that doesn't mean he simply left Deepground. That's highly unlikely, Shinra captured him. All he is, is sealed away, and he wanted that. So no, there's nothing saying he escaped. He was taken away and imprisoned because he became a SOLDIER too dangerous to control and threatened Shinra.

We don't know when that happened though. It may not have happened immediately. He may have been used and just kept on a tight leash by the other Tsviets. Like they did when they captured him.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
I think you're right @Mr. Ite. I don't think expectations should be TOO high for what other stuff they might do, just seeing Deepground is already a pretty big twist.

A line from the trailer that sticks out to me is the "they deserve it" line on the train. It seems too serious to be referring to them robbing shinra. Part of me feels like it refers to the plate fall, and "they" might be Barret's group, who deserve the attack for provoking Shinra so much. Yuffie refuses to leave them to their fate and returns to help, "I'm not your sister" meaning she doesn't HAVE to listen to him. This would be when they save Biggs, and maybe find a way into deepground in the wreckage of the platefall.

Or none of that is true at all lol.

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
Genesis is in the cave network *underneath* Deepground. So... keep going down from the Slums... and you'll find Deepground and where Genesis is. The issue is more getting through Deepground unscathed rather than actually finding Genesis.

It's also canon as of CC that the reason Genesis is where he is in DoC is because he *wanted* to be there. Shinra captured him... but it was Weiss that asked Genesis if he wanted to join the Tsivets in their plan against the Restrictors. Genesis didn't want to... so they let him go. And Genesis just went deeper and put himself in the water bubble.

The goal of Genesis by the end of CC isn't so much to be against Shinra as it is to fight for the Planet. So with the Whispers doing... whatever they were doing in Chapter 18... don't know what side he'll take on that.

Although... this tweet is rather interesting...
"Guided by the calls of a Planet, the gears of a new Destiny begin to turn"
And that last part is... pretty much Gensis' driving force by the end of CC according to the development team...

oty

Pro Adventurer
AKA
ex-soldier boy

He could either be cameo'd, used as a secret boss or something else for that area. It's not impossible or improbable.

You do realize that Yuffie's chapter happens before Chapter 18 right? That actually doesn't make sense at all. All of the Whispers still exist so no, "destiny" actually hasn't changed during her episode.
Yup, I think I should have been more specific. A cameo or a secret boss I think it's possible, maybe even welcomed. I don't believe more than that is likely tho.

Genesis is in the cave network *underneath* Deepground. So... keep going down from the Slums... and you'll find Deepground and where Genesis is. The issue is more getting through Deepground unscathed rather than actually finding Genesis.

It's also canon as of CC that the reason Genesis is where he is in DoC is because he *wanted* to be there. Shinra captured him... but it was Weiss that asked Genesis if he wanted to join the Tsivets in their plan against the Restrictors. Genesis didn't want to... so they let him go. And Genesis just went deeper and put himself in the water bubble.

The goal of Genesis by the end of CC isn't so much to be against Shinra as it is to fight for the Planet. So with the Whispers doing... whatever they were doing in Chapter 18... don't know what side he'll take on that.

Although... this tweet is rather interesting...
And that last part is... pretty much Gensis' driving force by the end of CC according to the development team...
This last part also got me confused, but with everything about the Whispers being introduced (and subsequently destroyed), I feel that line can mean pretty much anything. Something like a Part 2 sneak peek or something?

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
"G sleeps below Midgar," but that doesn't mean he simply left Deepground. That's highly unlikely, Shinra captured him. All he is, is sealed away, and he wanted that. So no, there's nothing saying he escaped. He was taken away and imprisoned because he became a SOLDIER too dangerous to control and threatened Shinra.

Genesis seals himself under Midgar. Shinra has nothing to do with it.

In autumn of 2007, following a top-secret assignment from President Shinra, the Restrictors sent Nero and Weiss to the southern town of Banora to collect Genesis after the Company discovered his location. Aware of their cellular connection to the man and the high importance of the mission given their involvement, Weiss explained the situation in Deepground to Genesis and asked him to join them in their fight against the Restrictors. Remorseful of his actions since leading the mass SOLDIER desertion and wishing to reclaim his pride as a SOLDIER by atoning for his sins, Genesis rejected the request. Leaving Deepground soon after arriving, he sealed himself in a chamber below Midgar, only to be awoken when the Planet needed him again.

https://thelifestream.net/forums/threads/synopsis-of-history-of-deepground.2501/

You're the first comment in this thread haha.

https://thelifestream.net/lifestrea...ess-of-shinra-deepgrounds-history-revealed/3/

You're literally the author :monster:

Last edited:

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
I think you're right @Mr. Ite. I don't think expectations should be TOO high for what other stuff they might do, just seeing Deepground is already a pretty big twist.

A line from the trailer is the "they deserve it" line on the train. It seems too serious to be referring to them robbing shinra. Part of me feels like it refers to the plate fall, and "they" might be Barret's group, who deserve the attack for provoking Shinra so much. Yuffie refuses to leave them to their fate and returns to help, "I'm not your sister" meaning she doesn't HAVE to listen to him. This would be when they save Biggs, and maybe find a way into deepground in the wreckage of the platefall.

Or none of that is true at all lol.

Because Biggs surviving is one of the finale’s twists, I’m not sure it will be addressed in a story you can play before the main game (if you bought on PS5). I think they’ll save that for Part 2. Although I’ll say again: the more often that the new and creative story ideas are relegated to DLC, the happier I will be.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
I literally just pointed out what that line most likely refers to, lol. "They deserve it" probably refers to Shinra and/or Midgar being in a heightened state of security over fear of another attack, which they know will happen and would be "deserved," since they're the bad guys. That line happens while their fake IDs are being scanned.

They wouldn't say such a line filled with animus towards Cloud and the others because they're fighting Shinra. They wouldn't "deserve it" because they're on the same side.

Yuffie is more than likely aware of the fact AVALANCHE is gonna attack Shinra' HQ, and they're gonna use the distraction to infiltrate Sector 0.

Dude, look at the year and intro. I simply published, edited and helped construct the article synopsis S & G wrote.

The information regarding Genesis being sealed beneath Midgar is from the Crisis Core Ultimania's Scenario Q&A. A careful reading of the translation states Genesis wished to be sealed. That doesn't say when it happened or by whom. Furthermore we don't know if that cave is or isn't connected to Deepground. It more than likely is. That's why he was able to get there.

No, I don't think he simply escaped Deepground because if he did, why didn't the rest of the forces go through there too?

Last edited:
There are enough examples of "arbitrary degrees of destiny control" by the Whispers that even dramatic destiny detours could happen during Yuffie's chapter.

The Whispers allow Wedge to stay alive for over a day after he's supposed to be dead. The Whispers wait twelve-or-so hours before they correct the Reactor No.5 bombing event so that Cloud joins the mission. The Whispers allow arbitrary changes to occur in the timeline so that Remake differs from the Compilation (Rufus Shinra's age has changed, if memory serves me correctly, and the timing- and nature of the Wutai-Shinra armistice has changed for the Remake timeline).

The book-keeping of the Whispers is arbitrary and subjective enough that I could easily see Genesis waking up and doing all sorts of weird shit before the Whispers start waving their non-existent fingers at him. Really, almost anything is possible at this point because of the Whispers simultaneously being very strict but also pretty loose with their agenda. From the beginning of the Yuffie DLC only 3-4 days need to pass before it catches up with the destruction of the Whispers. I could easily see enough time skips happening in the DLC for it to reach this point, but it also easily may not happen.

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
Some things that could be potentially interesting from the Crisis Core Ultimania Scenario Q and A
Q7-3: You call tell from the voices that the two men who appear by helicopter and recover Genesis are DC’s Nero and Weiss, but what do they mean when they say “apparently he’s a brother of ours” and “however… will he agree to it?”? From DC’s hidden movie you can interpret that Genesis has been laid to rest in the cave under Midgar up until he awakens, but…?

A7-3: The ‘elder brother’ is used in the figurative sense. If they are injected with Genesis’ genes, that creates a connection, a bond between the cellular units. That is what is meant by ‘brother’.

In CC Nero and Weiss are on a mission to recover Genesis, so in this case “will he agree to it?” means “will he agree to join us or not?” But, as in the response for A6-3, Genesis rejects it and decides to have himself sealed in the water-filled chamber below Midgar.

To someone who has only played DC, when they watch the secret movie in that game they will take it as “an ominous being sealed in a water-filled chamber has been release onto the world”, but if you watch the movie again after having completed CC then one could go 180 degrees and interpret it in a completely different way.
This is currently our best source for what happened with Genesis, Weiss and Nero after CC. Which... doesn't mention Shinra or Restrictor at all. So I'm thinking they didn't really contribute a whole lot to what went down. It is worth noting this would have been before the OG/Remake started... so this has already happened by the time of the Yuffie DLC.

in order to prepare for the day when a crisis threatens the world, Genesis seals himself in the flooded chamber on his own volition.
And here's where Gensis' motivation for sealing himself is specified... which... kinda fits Sephrioth coming back at the end of Remake pretty well.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Technically speaking, the Zirconiade fight happens two months before the bombing of Mako Reactor #1. It's the committee to decide the fate of the Turks that's coincidentally held on the same night as the bombing.

https://thelifestream.net/lifestrea...chapter-summaries-chapters-23-24-25-epilogue/
Added to that, there was a three-year period in which Fuhito either alienated or zombified the rest of the BC group. What we now call Avalanche HQ could have been up and running for a long while.

Chapter 2: I do believe they are either going down to Mako Reactor 0 or at least the bowels of Shinra HQ. The train scene is after Yuffie ditches the cloak so it’s likely here. We have very few clips of this chapter, but the dialogue implies that Yuffie and Sonon are separated for at least part of it, coming back together when Deepground attacks. Deepground are probably enemies in this dungeon the way those heartless guys were in 7R’s chapter 13. The final boss will be something/someone new, a gross monster or a new Tsiviet invented just for this DLC. If they tease any of DC’s Tsiviets, it will be similar to teasing Thanos at the end of the first Avengers movie.
Maybe it's Argento. If she died here, that would be an explanation for why she wasn't around during Dirge.

oty

Pro Adventurer
AKA
ex-soldier boy
Because Biggs surviving is one of the finale’s twists, I’m not sure it will be addressed in a story you can play before the main game (if you bought on PS5). I think they’ll save that for Part 2. Although I’ll say again: the more often that the new and creative story ideas are relegated to DLC, the happier I will be.
I can partly agree with that statement as well. I actually wouldn't mind at all a Genesis focused DLC

There are enough examples of "arbitrary degrees of destiny control" by the Whispers that even dramatic destiny detours could happen during Yuffie's chapter.

The Whispers allow Wedge to stay alive for over a day after he's supposed to be dead. The Whispers wait twelve-or-so hours before they correct the Reactor No.5 bombing event so that Cloud joins the mission. The Whispers allow arbitrary changes to occur in the timeline so that Remake differs from the Compilation (Rufus Shinra's age has changed, if memory serves me correctly, and the timing- and nature of the Wutai-Shinra armistice has changed for the Remake timeline).

The book-keeping of the Whispers is arbitrary and subjective enough that I could easily see Genesis waking up and doing all sorts of weird shit before the Whispers start waving their non-existent fingers at him. Really, almost anything is possible at this point because of the Whispers simultaneously being very strict but also pretty loose with their agenda. From the beginning of the Yuffie DLC only 3-4 days need to pass before it catches up with the destruction of the Whispers. I could easily see enough time skips happening in the DLC for it to reach this point, but it also easily may not happen.
I can definitely see the DLC ending around the same time as the "Whisper Explosion", showing what happened to the world, etc. That actually doesn't sound half as bad as I thought.

Top Bottom