FFVII Remake: Intergrade Yuffie DLC Announced

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
Because Biggs surviving is one of the finale’s twists, I’m not sure it will be addressed in a story you can play before the main game (if you bought on PS5). I think they’ll save that for Part 2. Although I’ll say again: the more often that the new and creative story ideas are relegated to DLC, the happier I will be.
I just have to imagine that the platefall will at least be acknowledged in this DLC, it would be weird if it wasn't. My silly theories probably aren't true though.
I literally just pointed out what that line most likely refers to, lol. "They deserve it" probably refers to Shinra and/or Midgar being in a heightened state of security over fear of another attack, which they know will happen and would be "deserved," since they're the bad guys. That line happens while their fake IDs are being scanned.
You aren't the absolute authority on what things mean lol. It felt too serious to me, and the fact they're in a VERY crowded train (compared to, say, chapter 3) made me think it might be people evacuating.

And now with the mention of "revenge" it really makes me think it's the platefall and Barret's group.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
I think it's heavily implied Sonon has a grudge against Shinra and Midgar. They probably killed his sister. He's more than likely from Wutai, and he's part of AVALANCHE. Why would he hold animus towards Barret and the others?

He's part of AVALANCHE, meaning he would know Barret and the others didn't cause the plate collapse. That's Shinra propaganda. So why would the revenge be directed at them?

waw

Pro Adventurer
You do realize that Yuffie's chapter happens before Chapter 18 right? That actually doesn't make sense at all. All of the Whispers still exist so no, "destiny" actually hasn't changed during her episode.
I think Mako makes a really good point here. However, we're also not clear what all gets covered. I wouldn't be too surprised if we'll see the inside of the Whisper soulnado that covers Midgar in the final chapter.

Technically speaking, the Zirconiade fight happens two months before the bombing of Mako Reactor #1. It's the committee to decide the fate of the Turks that's coincidentally held on the same night as the bombing.
Woops. Thanks for this clarification! I'm not sure how I've forgotten that. My mistake!

And that last part is... pretty much Gensis' driving force by the end of CC according to the development team...
I cannot fathom Genesis not being involved in FF7. It kinda goes against the tenants of IP capitalism... I mean, to put it simply: the creators have invested a lot of time and money into Genesis being a big deal. Erasing, forgetting, or skipping over him is a major loss of investment. Delivering on him is really the only way to go. Maybe it'll be a sub-boss, or FFVIII's Ultima of sorts. Maybe just a DLC, but I can't really expect they'll leave the character behind. Placing him into the canon properly of FF7 is just so huge.

And as it's been pointed out here, Yuffie knowing her way around DG makes a lot of sense....

This is actually why I was waffling on saying if BC and Remake contradict or not. It's quite impossible to post on these boards without someone coming and saying "well actually..." to it. :)

And now with the mention of "revenge" it really makes me think it's the platefall and Barret's group.

I honestly felt that it was revenge for Wutai... and it makes me feel Yuffie is not a Wutaian spec ops agent (but maybe Sonon is!) and her desperate lie is an individual bid for revenge rather than acting on behalf of Wutai.... all just my speculation!

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
That's what I've been saying.

Sonon's line is towards Shinra and/or Midgar. He wants revenge on them. He think Shinra and/or Midgar deserve what happens to them, regarding the expected attack that's coming their way during Chapters 16, 17 and 18.

Maybe it's Argento. If she died here, that would be an explanation for why she wasn't around during Dirge.
I didn't mention this crackpot theory earlier because it's awful and lazy and risks spreading misinformation, but now I have to share this crazy thought :wacky:

I recall it being a decently common headcanon out there that Argento is from Wutai. There is nothing to substantiate this, not even in Mo's article about the history Deepground. Whenever the heavy encryption of the Dirge of Cerberus files get decoded we *might* find some script referencing Argento's origins, but it's far from certain.

Nevertheless, because this old thought was still in my head I suddenly pictured a recycling of the Shalua-Shelke scenario:
Argento is the younger sister of Sonon. Argento was taken from Wutai at a young age and taken to Deepground. Sonon has been trying to find her ever since and he follows the clues that talk about a "secret underground facility" which just so happens to be where Shinra's "Ultimate Materia" is supposed to be. Sonon pursues this mission in the vain hope that he might find his sister...and that he does. Argento emerge from the sea of DG soldiers and do battle against Sonon and Yuffie. A greek tragedy occurs and the siblings deal lethal blows to one another before realizing what has just happened. DUN DUN DUUUUUUUN!

Please don't let this be Sonon's plot, Square. :monster:

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Honestly, I don't think it'd be that crappy or lazy depending on how they resolve it.

Three outcomes await Sonon.

He either survives but discovers the truth about Yuffie and gets super pissed about her lying she's a special OP from Wutai. Hence she has to flee AVALANCHE and go solo, leading into her approaching Cloud.

Sonon and Yuffie flee Deepground unscathed and they just part ways amicably and nothing happens.

Sonon dies in Deepground. And if Argento were his sister and killed him, that'd be a rather dark twist to cement Yuffie's resolve in crushing Shinra and being willing to do anything necessary to take them down. Including theft. :monster:

Seriously though, I do think Sonon either dies in Deepground or they both split on bad terms because as people theorized... Yuffie more than likely is bullshitting.

Yuffie knows that many of them are innocent and she wants to help

Would Yuffie, a headstrong teenager out for revenge for Wutai, really hold that type of nuanced and kindhearted perspective towards the capital of the Shinra Company?

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
Would Yuffie, a headstrong teenager out for revenge for Wutai, really hold that type of nuanced and kindhearted perspective towards the capital of the Shinra Company?
I'm just struggling to contexualize the "I'm not your sister" line. Thet's clearly in defiance of whatever Sonon is thinking, which tells me she would rebel against him and do her own thing. If the context of that train scene is what I believe it to be, then that's the only conclusion I could draw. It's not like Yuffie is chomping at the bit to murder everyone in Midgar anyway.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
I think it's in defiance of Sonon being protective of her, looking up to her and wanting to make their mission about revenge for what happened to his sister.

Most members of AVALANCHE either have personal grudges against Shinra or are ardent planetology supporters. Sonon is from Wutai. The writing/character arc sorta gravitates to Sonon having a personal vendetta over loss here.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
I didn't mention this crackpot theory earlier because it's awful and lazy and risks spreading misinformation, but now I have to share this crazy thought :wacky:

I recall it being a decently common headcanon out there that Argento is from Wutai. There is nothing to substantiate this, not even in Mo's article about the history Deepground. Whenever the heavy encryption of the Dirge of Cerberus files get decoded we *might* find some script referencing Argento's origins, but it's far from certain.

Nevertheless, because this old thought was still in my head I suddenly pictured a recycling of the Shalua-Shelke scenario:
Argento is the younger sister of Sonon. Argento was taken from Wutai at a young age and taken to Deepground. Sonon has been trying to find her ever since and he follows the clues that talk about a "secret underground facility" which just so happens to be where Shinra's "Ultimate Materia" is supposed to be. Sonon pursues this mission in the vain hope that he might find his sister...and that he does. Argento emerge from the sea of DG soldiers and do battle against Sonon and Yuffie. A greek tragedy occurs and the siblings deal lethal blows to one another before realizing what has just happened. DUN DUN DUUUUUUUN!
Wow. I bet you cracked this one wide open. :monster:

That could also be used to explain Yuffie's rather intense reaction in DC to Shelke not initially appreciating what Shalua did for her. I always am caught off guard by Yuffie's emotional response over this character we'd only been recently introduced to and had no idea Yuffie was so attached to.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
I think I've been horribly misinterpreting it so that the girl in the silly shirt was Sonon's sister this entire time.

I don't know if they'd drag Argento back into the story, given her raw obscurity as a character, but consider me on-board with Shademp's idea lol. Maybe this is too much narrative weight to put into a two chapter DLC episode though.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Argento sibling speculation aside, I think the gist of it rings true regarding Sonon's fate.

If Sonon were to die with Yuffie, maybe after realizing the truth of her BS and choosing to stick with her til' the end, it would harden Yuffie's determination to take down Shinra. By any means necessary. Even if it meant deceiving Cloud and the others for their materia.

It would explain why she would be upset seeing another person die fighting Shinra 3 years later. Sacrificing themselves.

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
I wouldn't think it's too much narrative weight. The only people who aren't Faceless Mooks in Deepground are the Tsivets. And there's only... six of them, including Argento. At least their personalities are all different and Argento is one of the saner ones. So I could see her balancing out the more... loud and crazy personalities in that group. And we're going to need more than just one final boss...

I'm almost positive Shelke at least is going to play some part, as she was recently added as a character in the Japanese version of Dissidia Opera Omnia. She's also a good way to introduce the idea that... it's not just Aerith and Cloud and Co. that are mucking around with memory. Her power is all about interacting with vast quantities of data mentally... weather than be the data of the internet or of a person's mind... and she's not the only person who can do that. Weiss can too.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
As much fun as it'd be to see Argento again, I doubt she'll be the boss. She's too obscure, never was a top Tsviet and if they wanted to use a badass woman villain from Deepground, they'd probably just go with Rosso.

But we know they're not gonna hold back for a secret DLC boss that's a love letter to Dirge of Cerberus. I think the likely boss they'll confront is either Weiss, who would probably toy around with them and just enjoy being free from his throne in Mako Reactor 0, or a chained up/restricted Genesis with Weiss on point to ensure he behaves. A reverse of the Secret Ending. They're going to make the boss encounter hype worthy and surprising. And Argento sadly ain't that. :monster:

I guess I'm just wondering how Yuffie could still be portrayed as a goofy, careless kid after having a companion of hers die fighting Shinra. It just feels a little too serious.

I mean, that's only part of her character. She lets slip some cold hard anger and hatred towards Shinra in the OG. Her lines about Coral and Wutai come to mind.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
I don't think Nomura meant brand new. Just someone new to the Remake. And he says, "as for who else will appear aside from Weiss, please wait for more information and find out." The interviewed also asks if Weiss will only be in the Battle Simulator and Nomura tightens up. Lending me to believe he won't.

He didn't preclude Weiss from showing up, just that it'd be someone along side him. Weiss isn't the only one.

waw

Pro Adventurer
Was that a new character as in, never before developed, or new to Remake?

The "killing off Argento" angle does work quite well....

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
I don't think Nomura meant brand new. Just someone new to the Remake. And he says, "as for who else will appear aside from Weiss, please wait for more information and find out." The interviewed also asks if Weiss will only be in the Battle Simulator and Nomura tightens up. Lending me to believe he won't.

He didn't preclude Weiss from showing up, just that it'd be someone along side him. Weiss isn't the only one.
I think Weiss will play into the story, but I don't think Yuffie would be able to fight him. He's second only to Sephiroth on the FF7 power charts after all, that's why he's a VR boss instead.
I think the main boss will have to be more Yuffie's speed than that, or Genesis too.

Top Bottom