Final Fantasy Pixel Remaster Series (Mobile/Steam)

Lex

Administrator
OK with the music re-done I think it might be worth finally doing another playthrough of the early titles.

I played Origin on PS1 then emulated fan translations of I-III about 10 years ago and I've had no urge to revisit them. I'll still wait to see more footage but it's looking promising! Chronological replay of I-IX incoming...

Nandemoyasan

Standing guard
AKA
Johnny
I just bought 1-3. I started up a new game of FF1, with CHONKER the Fighter, Punchman the Monk, Dr. ZombiKil the White Mage and HailSatan the Black Mage. Here's my hot take after about 20 minutes of gameplay.

Cons:

- There was an issue with Vsync (I have a very old Nvidia GT 710). The menu in-game has no option for it, and I was getting some screen tearing. It was easy to fix, though, I just turned it on Globally in Nvidia Settings, and it stopped immediately after that.

- "Now Loading" on startup takes a long time. Eh. Not so bad.

Now, the Pros. Keep in mind, I played FF1 when FF4 was still new and FF6 wasn't out in the states yet.

- The "Classic Filter" looks great. It's a conservative 'scanline' effect, striping horizontally across the screen, doesn't look bad at all, and doesn't interfere with the brightness of the image (which is also adjustable in the Config Menu in-game). There's also a bloom filter that is applied to it as well, which does make it look very CRT-ish. As an avid user of RetroArch and Reshade, thank you for not making me work, SE.

- Some Battle Animations can happen concurrently, fleeing, one monster dies while the next attack occurs, etc. That's new. Feels very fluid.

- There are new monster packs, or some kind of RNG? I have never encountered 6 Goblins and 3 Goblin Captains in FF1 before. So, surprises lay in store... very interesting.

- When a character's natural evasion rolls successfully, there are dodge animations a la FFV. Nice touch!

It's good, you can get it, don't worry. Yeah the font is kinda doofy, but if it bothers you just replace it. :) Have a fun!

Edit: OMG lol I didn't even think of this20210728145112_1.jpg

20210728145121_1.jpg

EDIT: Um, it appears that uh... Modding the font is easy as hell. Basically, you just replace the English Font with the Japanese Font in the Streaming Assets folder. (don't delete the Japanese font, though!) Make sure you're set to English as your language, and done. That's... easy as hell...

20210728152141_1.jpg

Last edited:

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
I’m of the mind that hey, at least the font can be easily fixed. Can’t wait to see what kind of mods roll out for these.

@Makoeyes987 As for the cut content, I really think it boils down to money. Making an irreplaceably definitive version of these old titles means they will have no reason to re-release them in 10 years.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
I’m of the mind that hey, at least the font can be easily fixed. Can’t wait to see what kind of mods roll out for these.

@Makoeyes987 As for the cut content, I really think it boils down to money. Making an irreplaceably definitive version of these old titles means they will have no reason to re-release them in 10 years.

But then I'm not gonna buy their version until they include the content I want so :monster:

If they re-release it in 10 years I guess we'll see lol Or maybe they'll be really cunning and save that content for consoles and really just throw a grenade in all this.

I mean, I'll admit these are nice remasters with cool music and pixel art. But, I'm an old fan who doesn't need this. I've played through the stories of the classics so many times I've lost count. Ironically, this is the kind of thing that doesn't really "win me over," at least to open my wallet to purchase. I like content, gameplay and consistency. Not just replaying the same story over again. This is a novel way to experience the story again, and that's nice but nothing compels me to sit down and play it all again. I don't need to, I know them all enough that it just isn't worth it. The real novelty for me was what they added that wasn't in the original version of the games; that was creative and interesting.

For instance, the Lunar Trial for Kain Highwind in FFIV Advance was some of the most interesting and amazing character development and depiction he's had. It was dark but it also really fleshed him out and his evolution in terms of what happens afterwards in TAY. That's a real shame people are gonna miss out on that.

Last edited:

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Hero of Time confirmed to still be dead

8z5vZBT.png

Top Bottom