SPOILERS LTD Remake — It's like New Coke except ... no, it's exactly like New Coke

GamerSkull

Pro Adventurer
A lot of the behaviour that sets up ACC doesn't even make sense for these characters anymore, and in fact Nojima has gone out of his way to undercut his own writing for ACC--which is very interesting. In ToTP, Tifa is adamant about the fact that she will allow no one to decide what her life will be or what it will look like yet in CoT, Barret and Cloud do just that. And this makes me sad, because if all of that stays canon that's so damn tragic for her character.
I agree with you, but I can compromise if they give us a post ACC epilogue at the end of Part 3. I need to see some sort of resolution after the Compilation events for this truly feel complete.

If they can't do that then at that point I would want them to redo ACC.

Reaper3Delta

Pro Adventurer
Absolutely and I wholeheartedly agree w/ you.

The issue with OTWTAS and ACC, as many people have pointed out before me, is that it's basically a redo of Cloud's arc in condensed format w/ bad execution. While there's nothing wrong with Cloud having to re-learn that he's not alone/doesn't have to do everything alone, it does trample on a lot of his already established relationships. It almost feels like, "woops, we kinda forgot to show Cloud grieving and feeling sad/guilty in OG so... here he is doing that now!"

And my complaints are never that Cloud sucks, but rather that the writing sucks and it fails a lot of these characters. I had completely forced myself to forget the scene in CoT where Barret tells Tifa he's going on a journey to settle his past and when she says she wants to do that too, he tells her she needs to stay home and raise Marlene. It's basically like "No, you settle your past by being a mother to MY child, thanks." And that's so OOC for Barret now. Just like Cloud knowing about Barret wanting to leave and not sticking up for Tifa's right to be involved in this decision is OOC for him now too.

A lot of the behaviour that sets up ACC doesn't even make sense for these characters anymore, and in fact Nojima has gone out of his way to undercut his own writing for ACC--which is very interesting. In ToTP, Tifa is adamant about the fact that she will allow no one to decide what her life will be or what it will look like yet in CoT, Barret and Cloud do just that. And this makes me sad, because if all of that stays canon that's so damn tragic for her character.
It's interesting that now Part 3 is going to deal with "Grieving, Loss and Denial" could we maybe guess that the Devs add Survivor's Guilt too since is mentioned already (Cloud don't blame yourself) and I hope from Tifa's POV too. Regarding Barret, Remake and Rebirth shows how much he is attached to Marlene, so at least these characters feel very different as how OTWTAS and AC/C portrays them. IMHO the novel and Advent Children movie need to be updated to the changes of the Retrilogy.

Reactions: Rin

Ryeleigh

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Rye
The issue with OTWTAS and ACC, as many people have pointed out before me, is that it's basically a redo of Cloud's arc in condensed format w/ bad execution. While there's nothing wrong with Cloud having to re-learn that he's not alone/doesn't have to do everything alone, it does trample on a lot of his already established relationships. It almost feels like, "woops, we kinda forgot to show Cloud grieving and feeling sad/guilty in OG so... here he is doing that now!"
I totally forgot to answer to this part!

As you said, considering that ACC is basically a redo of Cloud's arc, it almost sounds like ACC was unnecessary... :desu:

Rin

Pro Adventurer
I agree with you, but I can compromise if they give us a post ACC epilogue at the end of Part 3. I need to see some sort of resolution after the Compilation events for this truly feel complete.

If they can't do that then at that point I would want them to redo ACC.
I don't know if I can compromise but it's not like I get a choice anyway ... 🥲
It's interesting that now Part 3 is going to deal with "Grieving, Loss and Denial" could we maybe guess that the Devs add Survivor's Guilt too since is mentioned already (Cloud don't blame yourself) and I hope from Tifa's POV too. Regarding Barret, Remake and Rebirth shows how much he is attached to Marlene, so at least these characters feel very different as how OTWTAS and AC/C portrays them. IMHO the novel and Advent Children movie need to be updated to the changes of the Retrilogy.
Yeah, exactly. They're finally going to cover it within the scope of the OG itself so.... can we replace ACC with something else? Maybe? Please??
I totally forgot to answer to this part!

As you said, considering that ACC is basically a redo of Cloud's arc, it almost sounds like ACC was unnecessary... :desu:
Let's wipe it out of canon, besties!! Woooo lmaooo it can stay for the OG continuity but pls.... do we rly need it for RT? I think not!

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
I'm not opposed to a version of ACC where we just cut out the angst and just go pure spectacle with a Sephiroth final gambit. Like hell, if you want to keep some angst, have it be that instead of running away because he's convinced he's not worthy of happiness, have it be even more explicit that Cloud's looking for a cure for Denzel with the reveal that he's testing them on himself at the church so as not to worry Tifa and the kids with the fact that he's got the disease too. That way he's not repeating the same arc but you still get the "I have to prove I deserve this happiness" motivation which was one of the better throughlines for OTWTAS and ACC.
He'd also still be living at home, natch, with the setup in the church being a lean to with a bunch of research and failed cures and whatnot.

Eerie

Fire and Blood
I'd love that but I think it would be way too expensive to remake. So I'm hoping that at the very least we get the OtWtaS rewritten. Maybe they could shoot/reshoot a few scenes for ACC, but the quality difference would be really jarring so IDK about that.

Ryushikaze

AKA
Tim, Ryu
I'd love that but I think it would be way too expensive to remake. So I'm hoping that at the very least we get the OtWtaS rewritten. Maybe they could shoot/reshoot a few scenes for ACC, but the quality difference would be really jarring so IDK about that.
I was working on the assumption it would basically all be done with the Retrilogy engine, though making it all playable would pose some challenges for the extremely acrobatic nature of the fights.

Rin

Pro Adventurer
Hamaguchi said it would be a dream come true to remake it, so I'm definitely hoping it happens 😭

Eerie

Fire and Blood
Hamaguchi said it would be a dream come true to remake it, so I'm definitely hoping it happens 😭
I know, but remaking a whole movie like AC would be very expensive, and it would not target all players but specifically FFVII fans who would know about it, so I'm very doubtful. They pour a lot of money in the trilogy, but players are supposed to buy the games and enjoy them.

Reaper3Delta

Pro Adventurer
I know, but remaking a whole movie like AC would be very expensive, and it would not target all players but specifically FFVII fans who would know about it, so I'm very doubtful. They pour a lot of money in the trilogy, but players are supposed to buy the games and enjoy them.
True, I remember when FF The Spirits Within movie got released that a lot of fans were expecting a more streamline FF(7) movie and that's the reason that movie flopped. This was before FF AC got released.

Rin

Pro Adventurer
They could honestly just make it playable DLC tbh. It doesn't need to be a movie, just as long as it overwrites ACC lol

Ryushikaze

AKA
Tim, Ryu
True, I remember when FF The Spirits Within movie got released that a lot of fans were expecting a more streamline FF(7) movie and that's the reason that movie flopped. This was before FF AC got released.
Yeah, and "Final Fantasy" was the problem. Had The Spirits Within gotten top billing with "A final fantasy story" underneath it might have done better.

GamerSkull

Pro Adventurer
They could honestly just make it playable DLC tbh. It doesn't need to be a movie, just as long as it overwrites ACC lol
I think... if Ever Crisis survives long enough, they're gonna eventually do Advent Children in it. Maybe they'll fix things in there.

Eerie

Fire and Blood
I think... if Ever Crisis survives long enough, they're gonna eventually do Advent Children in it. Maybe they'll fix things in there.
EC is definitely a promotional tool for the Remake trilogy for SE. The fact that they're already talking about next year anniversary when it's not doing that great is proof of that; also how they promoted heavily Aerith in EC pre-Rebirth release is another proof.

I am not sure how much story they're going to cover, there's still more to tell in the main story alone - they wanted to do ACC and its OtWtaS there, but I'm not sure if they'll have the time to do it, or if SE has decided to push EC throughout the whole Compilation.

redoak77

Rookie Adventurer
AKA
redoak77
1726345897252.png

Is it me or does it feel like the discussions did not last as long as they should have? Especially the LTD discussion seems to have wrapped up.

Ryushikaze

AKA
Tim, Ryu
The LTD comes and goes in cycles. It seems to be picking up with the CA getting very aggressive after that recent interview reconfirmed Aerith is definitely actually, factually dead.

But also Cloud almost kissing Tifa and then kissing only her on the gold saucer date seems to have settled the debate for a lot of people, though it seems some CA are currently going hard on the "He only chooses Tifa because Aerith died" cope today.

Eerie

Fire and Blood
But also Cloud almost kissing Tifa and then kissing only her on the gold saucer date seems to have settled the debate for a lot of people, though it seems some CA are currently going hard on the "He only chooses Tifa because Aerith died" cope today.
Which is funny as hell because when he kissed Tifa, Aerith was still alive. So his choice was clear. But yes, the fact that there is only one kiss says it all, really, and it's enough for a lot of people (coupled with the near kiss in Gongaga and the fact that their romance is at the heart of the main story too).

Next Thursday there's an interview with Nomura that will be released, and he'll talk about the creation of Aerith and Tifa, so I really hope it's new tidbits because I'm actually really interested in it.

Ryushikaze

AKA
Tim, Ryu
Which is funny as hell because when he kissed Tifa, Aerith was still alive. So his choice was clear. But yes, the fact that there is only one kiss says it all, really, and it's enough for a lot of people (coupled with the near kiss in Gongaga and the fact that their romance is at the heart of the main story too).
I think it might be a "repeat a lie enough times" sort of situation. Trying to will it into being true.

Next Thursday there's an interview with Nomura that will be released, and he'll talk about the creation of Aerith and Tifa, so I really hope it's new tidbits because I'm actually really interested in it.
I hope it confirms my hypothesis about Sephiroth and Tifareth, their design change, and that the two characters as we know them came about from splitting that character in two and using one design for one of them and one for the other.

redoak77

Rookie Adventurer
AKA
redoak77

That sounds VERY interesting. I wonder what he''l have to say-maybe confirm things already shown?

eleamaya

Pro Adventurer
Does anyone have the JP text of TOTP? Apparently the JP version mentions Zack. Is that true?
Aerith mentions "hatsu koi" or "first love" which is weirdly translated in EN edition as "boys." The same line is also used in Rebirth when Cloud interrupts them in the ferry. After that, Tifa then responses by whispering on Aerith's ear, "Tell about (your) hatsu koi/first love later" in JP which is also weirdly translated as "meeting adjourned, for now." both in EN edition and Rebirth EN dub. I put "your" in "( )" because JP doesn't use pronoun here. Who knows when Cloud hears that, it makes him think in a little jealousy like "huh? Tifa will tell Aerith she has first love?? WHO??!!" because there's no pronoun in it.

I guess Aerith really tells Tifa about that later offscreen because in Gongaga, Tifa asks her "No call? No letter?"

Last edited:
Top Bottom