The Lifestream ranks Final Fantasy songs

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
Oh, totally. It's unfortunate that there was such a big gap between nominations and voting, since our active user base has changed considerably in the meantime. I think it's a bit sad to see some songs getting no votes, since it presumably means that the people who nominated them aren't around at the moment.

Kuroto

Pro Adventurer
Yeah. I have to say that I've had to decide not to vote for some of the songs I have nominated because there has been at least one group in which there was three songs that I had nominated.

I think it's also a bit sad that it seems that the number of voters has decreased. Not by many but considering that the first two groups had 25 voters but some of the later groups had only 20.

Jason Tandro

Banned
AKA
Jason Tandro, Doc Brown, Santa Christ, FearAddict, Thibault Stormrunner, RN: Micah Rodney
I have to say an interesting thing about the FFs is there are also some iconic sound effects that drip with nostalgia for each game.

FF6 I'll always remember Kefka's laugh.
FF7 I'll remember the scary as hell planet wailing sound you hear in the observatory.
FF8 honestly I've played it so much the sound effect that plays when you select New Game hits me in the nostalgia button.
FF9 oddly it's Zidane's footsteps on the wooden boards in airship at the beginning.

FF2? Click, click, click, back. Click, click, click, back, click click, click, back.

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
I've updated the spreadsheet with a couple of new features.

There's a new tab, "Voter stats 2", that shows you what percentage of each song's games you've voted for. Example: FFVII has 38 songs in the event; if you've voted for 19 of them, it'll show 50 (%).

"Voter stats" has been renamed "Voter stats 1" and now shows you what percentage of your total votes have gone to each game. It also shows you how many games you've voted for (the column is called "Games >0") and which game or games you've given the most votes to.

The "Game stats" tab has been updated to reflect that last piece of information - it shows how many voters have each game as their top game, in the column called "Top voters".

Finally, I updated all of Matthewtheman's votes to Phoenix Wright. :P

The G'randiest' Daddy

Teh Bunneh of Doom
AKA
Darth
That is some fantastic stuff! I just want to say thanks Flint, you're running this whole thing brilliantly, and I've been having a lot of fun so far.

:salute:

RedFFWolf

Donator
^Ditto to everything :)

Voter Stats II is an interesting addition. I didn't realise I was that much of a whore for FFVIII music. It's just too good
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
That is some fantastic stuff! I just want to say thanks Flint, you're running this whole thing brilliantly, and I've been having a lot of fun so far.

You know me: if something's worth doing, it's worth doing right. :) I've enjoyed running it so far, even if I'm one of the people with the fewest songs I've voted for going through to the top 100. :sigh:

Flare

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Flare

Agree with this wholeheartedly. This is the first time I've been around for this and it's a lot of fun, so thanks Flint for doing all this! :loveglomp:
Also apparently I'm a sucker for IX's music. I didn't realize I voted for quite so many FFIX songs. :wacky:

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
Remember folks, the last polls in round 1 close today, in about nine hours. Groups 19 and 20 have both been voted on by 18 people so far, but the average has been around 22, so some people need to get their butts in gear!

Monterosa

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Tom
Remember folks, the last polls in round 1 close today, in about nine hours. Groups 19 and 20 have both been voted on by 18 people so far, but the average has been around 22, so some people need to get their butts in gear!

Done and done. My butt is now gearing up for the next round.

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
I'm going to get started on double-checking all the vote counts. In the meantime, I've added more stuff to the spreadsheet (I can't resist!).

The first addition is a "Group stats" tab, which, as you'd imagine, has stats for the 20 groups. It shows you stuff like how many people voted in each group, how many votes were needed for a song to make it into each group's top four, how many songs qualified from each group, and more.

The second, "Combined voter match", is a bit more difficult to explain.

The existing "voter match" table is asymmetrical: it shows you what percentage of the songs you voted for were also voted for by each person. Let's say we have person A and B. Person A votes for 10 songs in total, while person B votes for just 2, one of which is also in A's selection of 10. On the voter match table, on A's row, it will show "10" in B's column, because B has voted for 10% of the songs that A voted for, while on B's row, it will show "50" in A's column, because A has voted for 50% of the songs that B voted for.

The combined voter match table is symmetrical - it combines those two scores of 10 and 50 into one figure (5) that reflects how closely A and B's music tastes match. The figure is obtained by multiplying their individual scores together and dividing by 100, meaning that 100 is the highest possible score, indicating that two people voted for exactly the same songs. Some obvious pairings jump out - Airling and Command Vimes lead the way with 43.9%, to nobody's surprise. :P

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
The Lifestream ranks Final Fantasy songs: end of round 1 report

The votes have been finalised. One person's votes were missing from group 4, and one person had cast one vote too many in group 18, but those issues have now been resolved.

Every song that received at least eight votes, plus every song that received seven votes and finished in its group's top four, has qualified for the next round. That gives us 103 songs in total.

I've split those songs into 11 "pots" ahead of the draw for the second round. 10 of the pots have 10 songs, and the last pot has 3. One song from each of the first 10 pots will go into each group, and three randomly selected groups will receive an extra song from the 11th pot. Songs have been seeded according to their overall ranking in the first round, so the best-performing songs will be kept apart. You can see which songs are in each pot by clicking the tags below.

• J-E-N-O-V-A (Final Fantasy VII)
  • Main Theme of Final Fantasy VII (Final Fantasy VII)
  • Birth of a God (Final Fantasy VII)
  • Vamo Alla Flamenco (Final Fantasy IX)
  • Liberi Fatali (Final Fantasy VIII)
  • Cid's Theme (Final Fantasy VII)
  • One-Winged Angel (Final Fantasy VII)
  • Not Alone (Final Fantasy IX)
  • The Decisive Battle (Final Fantasy VI)
  • Terra's Theme (Final Fantasy VI)
  • Festival of the Hunt (Final Fantasy IX)
  • Jenova Complete (Final Fantasy VII)
  • Something to Protect (Final Fantasy IX)
  • Cosmo Canyon (Final Fantasy VII)
  • Listen to the Cries of the Planet (Final Fantasy VII)
  • The Great Warrior (Final Fantasy VII)
  • Battle at the Big Bridge (Final Fantasy V)
  • Fight On! (Final Fantasy VII)
  • Terra (Final Fantasy IX)
  • The Castle (Final Fantasy VIII)
  • Under the Rotting Pizza (Final Fantasy VII)
  • Final Battle (Final Fantasy X)
  • Aerith's Theme (Final Fantasy VII)
  • Ending Theme (Final Fantasy X)
  • Fithos Lusec Wecos Vinosec (Final Fantasy VIII)
  • The Price of Freedom (Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII)
  • Zanarkand (Final Fantasy X)
  • A Place to Call Home (Final Fantasy IX)
  • Roses of May (Final Fantasy IX)
  • Let the Battles Begin! (Final Fantasy VII)
  • Succession of Witches (Final Fantasy VIII)
  • Blinded by Light (Final Fantasy XIII)
  • Prelude (Final Fantasy VII)
  • Anxiety (Final Fantasy VII)
  • Opening - Bombing Mission (Final Fantasy VII)
  • Only a Plank Between One and Perdition (Final Fantasy VIII)
  • Battle 2 (Final Fantasy IX)
  • Dancing Mad (Final Fantasy VI)
  • Vivi's Theme (Final Fantasy IX)
  • Melodies of Life ~ FINAL FANTASY (Final Fantasy IX)
  • The Extreme (Final Fantasy VIII)
  • Kefka (Final Fantasy VI)
  • Judgment Day (Final Fantasy VII)
  • The Forested Temple (Final Fantasy VII)
  • Words Drowned by Fireworks (Final Fantasy VII)
  • The Landing (Final Fantasy VIII)
  • Under the Apple Tree (Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII)
  • Maybe I'm a Lion (Final Fantasy VIII)
  • A Fleeting Dream (Final Fantasy X)
  • Eternity ~Memories of Light and Waves~ (Final Fantasy X-2)
  • Main Theme of FINAL FANTASY IV (Final Fantasy IV)
  • Compression of Time (Final Fantasy VIII)
  • The Rebel Army (Final Fantasy II)
  • Lifestream (Final Fantasy VII)
  • The Darkness of Eternity (Final Fantasy IX)
  • Fang's Theme (Final Fantasy XIII)
  • Find Your Way (Final Fantasy VIII)
  • The Chase (Final Fantasy VII)
  • The Man with the Machine Gun (Final Fantasy VIII)
  • Streets of Rabanastre (Final Fantasy XII)
  • The Veldt (Final Fantasy VI)
  • Besaid (Final Fantasy X-2)
  • Secret of the Deep Sea (Final Fantasy VII)
  • Battle with an Esper (Final Fantasy XII)
  • Noel's Theme (Final Fantasy XIII-2)
  • Trisection (Final Fantasy Tactics)
  • Aria di Mezzo Carattere (Final Fantasy VI)
  • Don't Be Afraid (Final Fantasy VIII)
  • Dust to Dust (Final Fantasy XIII)
  • Servants of the Mountain (Final Fantasy X)
  • Yuna's Ballad (Final Fantasy X-2)
  • Golbez, Clad in Darkness (Final Fantasy IV)
  • Via Purifico (Final Fantasy X)
  • Symphonic Poem "Hope" (Final Fantasy XII)
  • Besaid (Final Fantasy X)
  • Calm Before the Storm (Final Fantasy X)
  • Answers (Final Fantasy XIV)
  • Bran Bal, the Soulless Village (Final Fantasy IX)
  • Magitek Research Facility (Final Fantasy VI)
  • Black Mage Village (Final Fantasy IX)
  • Mount Gulg (Final Fantasy)
  • Battle to the Death (Final Fantasy VI)
  • Omen (Final Fantasy VI)
  • Kuja's Theme (Millennium Version) (Final Fantasy IX)
  • Auron's Theme (Final Fantasy X)
  • Searching for Friends (Final Fantasy VI)
  • Setzer's Theme (Final Fantasy VI)
  • Silver Dragon (Final Fantasy IX)
  • Court Jesters (Final Fantasy IX)
  • Electric de Chocobo (Final Fantasy VII)
  • Phantom Forest (Final Fantasy VI)
  • Premonition (Final Fantasy VIII)
  • Fight With Seymour (Final Fantasy X)
  • Steiner's Theme (Final Fantasy IX)
  • Matoya's Cave (Final Fantasy)
  • The Legendary Beast (Final Fantasy VIII)
  • Battle 2 (Final Fantasy IV)
  • The Final Battle (Final Fantasy V)
  • Freya's Theme (Final Fantasy IX)
  • Movement in Green (Final Fantasy X)
  • Celes's Theme (Final Fantasy VI)
  • Shinra, Inc (Final Fantasy VII)
  • Kiss Me Goodbye (Final Fantasy XII)

You're only going to have three votes in each group, but you will be able to break that limit by playing a "joker" in one group, as before. The top three songs from each group, excluding ties, will qualify for the final 32, and the remaining places will be taken by the songs with the most votes that haven't already qualified.

Polls will be open for just two days in this round, but there will only be one new poll posted each day, so your listening schedule will be slightly lighter than it was in the first round. If you know you're not going to be around for the duration of a poll, you can PM me your votes in advance once the groups have been drawn.

Speaking of the draw, I'm going to conduct it tomorrow (Sunday), live in the #TLS IRC channel. I can't give an exact time yet, but I'll give at least half an hour's notice in this thread before it starts. The first poll will go up once I've had time to put the Youtube playlists together, probably on Monday, but possibly tomorrow.

If you haven't been checking the event spreadsheet, why not take a look now? It's been significantly expanded in the last couple of weeks. Here are some things I observed from the first round:

• The Final Fantasy VII bias is alive and as strong as ever on TLS. Out of 32 voters, 16 of them gave the most votes to VII. There were 23 games in total with songs in this contest, of which nine games provided at least 10 songs each, but VII alone was the favourite of 50% of voters. It received as many votes as the bottom 15 games combined.
  • Having said that, Final Fantasy VIII put in a surprisingly strong performance in relative terms. While its songs attracted slightly fewer votes on average, 67% of its songs (14/21) qualified for the next round, compared to 63% of VII's songs (24/38). Final Fantasy also saw 67% of its songs progress, but with a much smaller sample size of just three.

• Seven games don't have any representation in the next round at all. Most of them had only a few songs in the contest to begin with, but Lightning Returns had as many as six, which only managed to attract a combined total of 21 votes. The best song from Lightning Returns was Midnight Eternal, which came seventh in group 1. A further four games have only one song each in the second round.
  • There was a fairly strong (Pearson's r = 0.6) correlation between the number of votes cast in a group and the number of songs that qualified from it. That might seem obvious, but it gave a significant boost to group 14, in which three people used their jokers: eight songs from that group made it into the top 100, compared to just four songs from many other groups, including those which had higher-ranking songs overall. I'm not really sure why many people chose not to use their jokers at all.
  • Group 3 had only three songs in the top 100 (because fourth place was a tie between songs with only six votes), but they were three of the best: two of them are in the top four overall and their average rank is 7.67. Conversely, the average rank of all songs in group 3 was the worst among all the groups.
  • Among people who cast at least 10 votes, Tetsujin had the highest percentage of the songs he voted for progress to the next round at 74.29%. Close behind were Teioh (69.05%) and Philco (67.5%). On the other end of the spectrum were LicoriceAllsorts (27.78%), Mark13 (33.33%) and myself (45.98%).
  • The people who distributed their votes most evenly - based on standard deviation - were Kuroto (4.96 percentage points), Monterosa (5.27 PP) and myself (5.29 PP). The people who distributed their votes least evenly, typically those who voted for songs from only a few games, among those who cast at least 10 votes were Chloe Frazer (9.87 PP), Cali and LicoriceAllsorts (both 9.01 PP). Airling, Kuroto and I were the only people to vote for songs from 19 games - nobody voted for 20 or more.
  • The "biggest fanboy" award goes to RedFFWolf, who voted for an astonishing 95.24% of songs from Final Fantasy VIII. He voted for 20 out of VIII's 21 songs, leaving out only Eyes on Me. Kuroto voted for 70.37% of songs from Final Fantasy X, and Airling voted for 68.42% of songs from Final Fantasy VII. I'm not counting games which had fewer than 10 songs in the contest.
  • The highest (combined) voter match score was between Airling and Commander Vimes, at 43.97%. Next up was Major Zero and Phoenix Wright, at 32.07%, followed by Monterosa and myself, at 28.28%. The first pairing is a real-life relationship, the third is two siblings, but what's the second? Major, Phoenix, anything you want to tell us? :P
Spotted anything interesting that I missed? Share it here!

Last edited:

Monterosa

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Tom
^ This entire post is so interesting. Thanks!

The highest (combined) voter match score was between Airling and Commander Vimes, at 43.97%. Next up was Major Zero and Phoenix Wright, at 32.07%, followed by Monterosa and myself, at 28.28%. The first pairing is a real-life relationship, the third is two siblings, but what's the second? Major, Phoenix, anything you want to tell us?
I also want to know what's going on between Major Zero and Phoenix Wright :P

The G'randiest' Daddy

Teh Bunneh of Doom
AKA
Darth
I'm going to get started on double-checking all the vote counts. In the meantime, I've added more stuff to the spreadsheet (I can't resist!).

The first addition is a "Group stats" tab, which, as you'd imagine, has stats for the 20 groups. It shows you stuff like how many people voted in each group, how many votes were needed for a song to make it into each group's top four, how many songs qualified from each group, and more.

The second, "Combined voter match", is a bit more difficult to explain.

The existing "voter match" table is asymmetrical: it shows you what percentage of the songs you voted for were also voted for by each person. Let's say we have person A and B. Person A votes for 10 songs in total, while person B votes for just 2, one of which is also in A's selection of 10. On the voter match table, on A's row, it will show "10" in B's column, because B has voted for 10% of the songs that A voted for, while on B's row, it will show "50" in A's column, because A has voted for 50% of the songs that B voted for.

The combined voter match table is symmetrical - it combines those two scores of 10 and 50 into one figure (5) that reflects how closely A and B's music tastes match. The figure is obtained by multiplying their individual scores together and dividing by 100, meaning that 100 is the highest possible score, indicating that two people voted for exactly the same songs. Some obvious pairings jump out - Airling and Command Vimes lead the way with 43.9%, to nobody's surprise. :P

Okay firstly I'd like to reiterate my thanks here. I know it isn't everybody's cup of tea, and I'd probably have been too lazy to actually go this in depth myself, but the statistics of this whole event, as you have laid them out, are fascinating. I've already spent at least half an hour poring over the stats page, and I'm going back there now!

Secondly, I'm quite proud of A and I matching so well :P I mean I guess that'd be obvious, but I don't even care :D.

The Lifestream ranks Final Fantasy songs: end of round 1 report

The votes have been finalised. One person's votes were missing from group 4, and one person had cast one vote too many in group 18, but those issues have now been resolved.

Every song that received at least eight votes, plus every song that received seven votes and finished in its group's top four, has qualified for the next round. That gives us 103 songs in total.

I've split those songs into 11 "pots" ahead of the draw for the second round. 10 of the pots have 10 songs, and the last pot has 3. One song from each of the first 10 pots will go into each group, and three randomly selected groups will receive an extra song from the 11th pot. Songs have been seeded according to their overall ranking in the first round, so the best-performing songs will be kept apart. You can see which songs are in each pot by clicking the tags below.

• Noel's Theme (Final Fantasy XIII-2)

You're only going to have three votes in each group, but you will be able to break that limit by playing a "joker" in one group, as before. The top three songs from each group, excluding ties, will qualify for the final 32, and the remaining places will be taken by the songs with the most votes that haven't already qualified.

Polls will be open for just two days in this round, but there will only be one new poll posted each day, so your listening schedule will be slightly lighter than it was in the first round. If you know you're not going to be around for the duration of a poll, you can PM me your votes in advance once the groups have been drawn.

Speaking of the draw, I'm going to conduct it tomorrow (Sunday), live in the #TLS IRC channel. I can't give an exact time yet, but I'll give at least half an hour's notice in this thread before it starts. The first poll will go up once I've had time to put the Youtube playlists together, probably on Monday, but possibly tomorrow.

If you haven't been checking the event spreadsheet, why not take a look now? It's been significantly expanded in the last couple of weeks. Here are some things I observed from the first round:

• The Final Fantasy VII bias is alive and as strong as ever on TLS. Out of 32 voters, 16 of them gave the most votes to VII. There were 23 games in total with songs in this contest, of which nine games provided at least 10 songs each, but VII alone was the favourite of 50% of voters. It received as many votes as the bottom 15 games combined.
  • Having said that, Final Fantasy VIII put in a surprisingly strong performance in relative terms. While its songs attracted slightly fewer votes on average, 67% of its songs (14/21) qualified for the next round, compared to 63% of VII's songs (24/38). Final Fantasy also saw 67% of its songs progress, but with a much smaller sample size of just three.

• Seven games don't have any representation in the next round at all. Most of them had only a few songs in the contest to begin with, but Lightning Returns had as many as six, which only managed to attract a combined total of 21 votes. The best song from Lightning Returns was Midnight Eternal, which came seventh in group 1. A further four games have only one song each in the second round.
  • There was a fairly strong (Pearson's r = 0.6) correlation between the number of votes cast in a group and the number of songs that qualified from it. That might seem obvious, but it gave a significant boost to group 14, in which three people used their jokers: eight songs from that group made it into the top 100, compared to just four songs from many other groups, including those which had higher-ranking songs overall. I'm not really sure why many people chose not to use their jokers at all.
  • Group 3 had only three songs in the top 100 (because fourth place was a tie between songs with only six votes), but they were three of the best: two of them are in the top four overall and their average rank is 7.67. Conversely, the average rank of all songs in group 3 was the worst among all the groups.
  • Among people who cast at least 10 votes, Tetsujin had the highest percentage of the songs he voted for progress to the next round at 74.29%. Close behind were Teioh (69.05%) and Philco (67.5%). On the other end of the spectrum were LicoriceAllsorts (27.78%), Mark13 (33.33%) and myself (45.98%).
  • The people who distributed their votes most evenly - based on standard deviation - were Kuroto (4.96 percentage points), Monterosa (5.27 PP) and myself (5.29 PP). The people who distributed their votes least evenly, typically those who voted for songs from only a few games, among those who cast at least 10 votes were Chloe Frazer (9.87 PP), Cali and LicoriceAllsorts (both 9.01 PP). Airling, Kuroto and I were the only people to vote for songs from 19 games - nobody voted for 20 or more.
  • The "biggest fanboy" award goes to RedFFWolf, who voted for an astonishing 95.24% of songs from Final Fantasy VIII. He voted for 20 out of VIII's 21 songs, leaving out only Eyes on Me. Kuroto voted for 70.37% of songs from Final Fantasy X, and Airling voted for 68.42% of songs from Final Fantasy VII. I'm not counting games which had fewer than 10 songs in the contest.
  • The highest (combined) voter match score was between Airling and Commander Vimes, at 43.97%. Next up was Major Zero and Phoenix Wright, at 32.07%, followed by Monterosa and myself, at 28.28%. The first pairing is a real-life relationship, the third is two siblings, but what's the second? Major, Phoenix, anything you want to tell us? :P
Spotted anything interesting that I missed? Share it here!

Not surprised at the seven bias, I commented on it to A just the other night. It's too bad you're not counting the lesser groups, since I voted for all the songs from I, and quite a few people voted for all the songs from XV, but it does make sense to me - the sample size is too small to be meaningful. I just want attention points :monster:

^ This entire post is so interesting. Thanks!

I also want to know what's going on between Major Zero and Phoenix Wright :P

^ Double ditto! :D

Edit: was just going over the spreadsheet, and I have decided that I shall now base all of my shipping decisions off of how well various people are matched for votes :P

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
Shall we get this show on the road? I'll conduct the second round draw in half an hour in #TLS. I've written a script to handle it automatically.

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
After much wailing and gnashing of teeth over the prospect of not being able to vote for most of these songs, we have a round 2 draw!

• Noel's Theme - Final Journey (Final Fantasy XIII-2)

It's pretty late today so I'll put up the first poll tomorrow. I should have Youtube playlists made by then, and probably a new spreadsheet. :)

Which groups look tough, which ones look weak?

Last edited:

RedFFWolf

Donator
Hey, did you know Squall's ID No. is 41269? Google search I did not.
(Seriously, sounds like I have a problem. And I know the words to Eyes on Me)

To answer your question: Out of the groups above, I would say Group 3 or 5 might present the most challenge, but that's more of a personal observation. Three instead of four votes is like sacrificing a child; and that'll be the mental image to guide me throughout this process ^_^. Otherwise, they all look a nice distribution. (It'll be sad to see amazing songs drop in votes/attention this time around, but that'll only be because they're against other strong pieces - that, or it's four-way-ties all the way :P)

(Interesting statistics, by the way)

Jason Tandro

Banned
AKA
Jason Tandro, Doc Brown, Santa Christ, FearAddict, Thibault Stormrunner, RN: Micah Rodney
None of these are going to be "easy" for me, but I agree about 3 and 5. They are probably the most challenging groups.

Flare

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Flare
I find 5 and 6 looking the most challenging right now. Argh only three votes....

trash panda

---m(O.O)gle---
AKA
Howl
*guttural noises* Idk if I'm ready for this. ;___;

EDIT:
I just started listening to the playlists....

*sigh*

I'm going to have to employ some sort of strategy to help me choose. Some of these songs are epic, but I think I'm going to choose based on which songs I could listen to repetitively. I'm sorry my babies, I have to cast some of you out. ;____;

Last edited:
Top Bottom