4E Dungeons&Dragons With Noctis

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
Making a Wizards account now

edit:

tlsdnd_zpsc6e49cd1.jpg

I'll PM the password once I get the subscription

Last edited:

Joe

I KEEP MY IDEALS
AKA
Joe, Arcana
If the thread idea goes through, I'd want to give this a try. I'm definitely a rouge/thief type character.
Seconded.

If this happens in a way that doesn't involve scheduling times to be around to play then I am 100% in. I will need to learn the ropes though but I'd love to do this thing.

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
The only potential issue I think that needs addressing is how exactly we'll be representing the board in each post. Sure, people have roleplayed encounters with nothing more than a grid piece of paper and pencil, but I have a personal preference for getting behind something more visual. :monster:

Joe

I KEEP MY IDEALS
AKA
Joe, Arcana
Could one of those RP websites listed aid us in such a thing? I noticed one of them said they had a bunch of their own resources available.

Also, how does one roll a dice across the board that is the internet? :monster:

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
From research, it seems that there are already a slew of 'virtual tabletops' out there that might do the trick.

Thing is, I think Noctis already has a buttload of DM resources so I think I'd defer to his judgement before deciding things for him =P

Gym Leader Devil

True Master of the Dark-type (suck it Piers)
AKA
So many names
For the record, while I won't be joining in on this I will say Noctis is a helluva fun guy to do tabletop RPGs with. Dresden Files RPG for life dude.

Lord Noctis

Harbinger of Darkness
AKA
Caius Ballad
The only potential issue I think that needs addressing is how exactly we'll be representing the board in each post. Sure, people have roleplayed encounters with nothing more than a grid piece of paper and pencil, but I have a personal preference for getting behind something more visual. :monster:

Getting behind something more visual may be difficult if we're going play by post. The resources I do have are geared largely towards full on game sessions. So if you got any ideas on that front I'll defer for the time being.

Also, how does one roll a dice across the board that is the internet? :monster:

There are a few virtual dice rollers spread across the web we could use. I perssonaly plan to roll my own dice on the grounds that they seem to screw me over less frequently than virtual dice. Virtual dice are still an option. GLD ran the entire DresdenFiles game he mentioned with just virtual dice, and it worked fine.

Now, while I don't mind doing this thing in a play-by-post format I'll still want to get in contact with anyone who is playing via skype. Of course, if you already have the players handbook there won't be any need.

Joe

I KEEP MY IDEALS
AKA
Joe, Arcana
@Noctis: joe.tunesi

^ Hit me up on Skype. I couldn't tell you when I'd definitely be around and available but if I see you on there I will give you a bell.

Also anybody else that wants it can add me. :monster:

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Getting behind something more visual may be difficult if we're going play by post. The resources I do have are geared largely towards full on game sessions. So if you got any ideas on that front I'll defer for the time being.

For encounters I was thinking that you could scan in the appropriate tiles and cobble them together in paint or photoshop if it wasn't too much of a hassle. In any case combat would be made up of players simply posting their turns in the way I mentioned earlier on in the thread - specifying minors and standards, rolls, damage, and status effects, and moves to a specified area, while DM updates the first post with party member locations and enemy locations, initiative order and what-not.
This way even if we can have a live session on Skype or whatever, we can refer back to a forum post and someone can update the thread at the end of the session with a chat log/recording going over all the stuff covered so that in case we need to end the session early or somesuch we can set it up again for later or just continue playing on the forum.

Players keep track of their own HP and statuses as usual.

As for actual roleplay/conversations and other non-combat shenanigans I'd be all for Skyping that shit but I would suggest also paraphrasing stuff in the chat for reference as well. With play-by-post players can post multiple questions or interactions and simply wait for a DM response.

PHB discussion could take place over either skype or a discussion thread in the RP section here (or both~) as per RP standards in this section. PMs and/or emails for things of particular urgence, like "in your last post, X move you made is actually not possible because Y reason, here's your possibilities".

btw, are there any particular limitations you think we need to address for play-by-post?

Lord Noctis

Harbinger of Darkness
AKA
Caius Ballad
For encounters I was thinking that you could scan in the appropriate tiles and cobble them together in paint or photoshop if it wasn't too much of a hassle. In any case combat would be made up of players simply posting their turns in the way I mentioned earlier on in the thread - specifying minors and standards, rolls, damage, and status effects, and moves to a specified area, while DM updates the first post with party member locations and enemy locations, initiative order and what-not.
This way even if we can have a live session on Skype or whatever, we can refer back to a forum post and someone can update the thread at the end of the session with a chat log/recording going over all the stuff covered so that in case we need to end the session early or somesuch we can set it up again for later or just continue playing on the forum.

Players keep track of their own HP and statuses as usual.

As for actual roleplay/conversations and other non-combat shenanigans I'd be all for Skyping that shit but I would suggest also paraphrasing stuff in the chat for reference as well. With play-by-post players can post multiple questions or interactions and simply wait for a DM response.

PHB discussion could take place over either skype or a discussion thread in the RP section here (or both~) as per RP standards in this section. PMs and/or emails for things of particular urgence, like "in your last post, X move you made is actually not possible because Y reason, here's your possibilities".

btw, are there any particular limitations you think we need to address for play-by-post?

Using photoshop or a similiar setup could work for that I suppose. I'll look into it.

Now, whendealing with actual role-playing and non-combat stuff I think we should just do that the same way we handle combat. If we're doing post by post we should just keep everything there. Its simpler that way.

Although getting together on Skype and having full on sessions there from time to time would still be fun.

Not sure there are any particular limitation to discuss. Can't think of any right now anyway.

Now, everyone, in addition to picking a class and race I'd also like to specify two things. First, lets avoid playing straight up evil characters. Netral is fine, but I don't really want to be doing a villian campaign.

Secondly, n addition to picking a race and class I'd like all of you to pick a long term goal for your character. Doesn't have to be anything fancy, just something to work towards.

Like, maybe the Rogue wants revenge against someone who betrayed him once and is seeking him out. Or maybe the Paladin wants to become a knight.

I feel that having something like that can really help with role-playing, and will give me more to work with when tailoring stories to the group.

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
I'm having trouble getting that subscription sorted out because all of a sudden Digital River is being a bunch of fuckwits and my bank order has been "pending approval" for the past 4 days.

Bear with me gaiz

Lord Noctis

Harbinger of Darkness
AKA
Caius Ballad
I'm having trouble getting that subscription sorted out because all of a sudden Digital River is being a bunch of fuckwits and my bank order has been "pending approval" for the past 4 days.

Bear with me gaiz

No worries man. I wasn't planning on trying to start until next week anyway, so theres plenty of time.

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Also my character is

Grey Longreach
Half-orc Ranger, neutral alignment (deity Kord)

Goal originally was also to make money and live out the rest of her life in a bit of comfort compared to her early days (she's 53 years old, which is no spring chicken for half-orcs). I also have a second character that I may test out which will be relevant to my first.

My irl DM doesn't bother with stealth mechanics past initiating with a surprise round every now and then. Will we be working with all the stealth rules? (I have a monk-rogue hybrid in the works, :monster:)

Lord Noctis

Harbinger of Darkness
AKA
Caius Ballad
I don't see any reason not to make use of the stealth mechanics when appropriate.

I'll need to read up on them a bit though. The last group I DMed had little interest in stealth.

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
For new players who don't have the handbook, yall should check out the Wizards D&D forums. There's a lot of tutorials and primers to get you clued in on a lot of the fundamentals. It's good to read through some of it every now and then, even if we'll probably walk through the basics anyway :cthulhu:

Also,

Lord Noctis

Harbinger of Darkness
AKA
Caius Ballad
Anyway, once we have the character creator I'll want everyone to PM me their character. At that point I'll probably throw up the appropriate thread and we can get rolling. Unless there are any objections I think I'm gonna kick things off with "Keep on the Shadowfell" Its an adventure for players level 1-3.

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
I'm starting to get really pissed off about this. I'm starting to think that the company just took my money and gave me fuck-all in return.

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Yeah it's gone up to the point where I'm trying to fax Wizards my credit card statements since they're too incompetent to keep records of transactions themselves.
Maybe you could try it out for a month first and then once my shit here gets sorted out, you guys can revert to my account.

Sorry about that guys, it was getting painfully obvious that I was the rate-limiting factor on us actually starting this thing up for proper. :monster:

/lesighe

Lord Noctis

Harbinger of Darkness
AKA
Caius Ballad
Yeah it's gone up to the point where I'm trying to fax Wizards my credit card statements since they're too incompetent to keep records of transactions themselves.
Maybe you could try it out for a month first and then once my shit here gets sorted out, you guys can revert to my account.

Sorry about that guys, it was getting painfully obvious that I was the rate-limiting factor on us actually starting this thing up for proper. :monster:

/lesighe

Bullshit. If anyone, Wizards are the rate-limiting factor here.

Anyway yeah, I'll god ahead and see about getting a temporary account set up this evening.

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Sweet as. It's really a shame I couldn't get this sorted out asap because it really is a quality character builder, and there's a ton of scenario material and lore they have databased.

Just talking from experience though, the character builder does have issues when multiple people are using it at once (doesn't print, saves erratically). It shouldn't be as big a deal since we're spread out over timezones but just putting that out there so that people know and won't be all surprised when the generated character sheet doesn't print.

There's also no straight way of saving the character sheet to hard disk, although I think it's possible to take something off as the xml file or idunno

Top Bottom